XVape XLUX ROFFU

An interesting observation:
I own the newer style Roffu with the spring clip that holds the herb-chamber in place, and I also own the older style where the silicone O-ring holds the herb-chamber in place.

After noticing the older style Roffu created slightly better vapor than the newer clip style one, (both at the same settings) I decided to check their temperatures with a laser thermometer. Just as I thought, the newer Ruffu measured 10 degrees cooler. If I run the newer one 10 degrees higher, the measured temps are much closer.

I have a theory:
The rubber o-ring creates a better seal at the bottom of the chamber, causing more heat to transfer to the chamber; while the clip style transfers less heat to the chamber because there are only one or two contact points at the bottom of the chamber.

It's not an issue, I just run the new one 10 degrees higher and I'm good to go.
What do you all think of my theory?
Phil

Petetbay

I have a theory:
The rubber o-ring creates a better seal at the bottom of the chamber, causing more heat to transfer to the chamber; while the clip style transfers less heat to the chamber because there are only one or two contact points at the bottom of the chamber.

Possible, I did notice a difference between when the OG lost its o-ring(no o-ring) and when I used parchment paper in place of the o-ring.
I have the new clip model and the draw seemed different, but I have did some mods and it’s hard to know what’s what anymore. I like how the clip has eliminated the o-ring problem though.
I would think at lower temps any air leaking in would be more pronounced. Been running quick hi temp 390*F+ bowls and I doubt it would make much difference.
When I got the clip model I was testing it stock for low temp performance I went as low as 315*F for herb and 325*F for hash, so low temps worked pretty good.

hinglemccringleberry

An interesting observation:
I own the newer style Roffu with the spring clip that holds the herb-chamber in place, and I also own the older style where the silicone O-ring holds the herb-chamber in place.

After noticing the older style Roffu created slightly better vapor than the newer clip style one, (both at the same settings) I decided to check their temperatures with a laser thermometer. Just as I thought, the newer Ruffu measured 10 degrees cooler. If I run the newer one 10 degrees higher, the measured temps are much closer.

I have a theory:

Phil
Makes sense...
I had a theory that the older model has worse flavor because the O-ring at the chamber is muddying the flavor. And the newer model eliminated that issue with the metal-only hardware for mounting the chamber. Would you say that's the case, or nah?

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,
Reactions: LesPlenty
Makes sense...
I had a theory that the older model has worse flavor because the O-ring at the chamber is muddying the flavor. And the newer model eliminated that issue with the metal-only hardware for mounting the chamber. Would you say that's the case, or nah?
I don't notice any difference in flavor, just that the older version makes slightly bigger clouds, even running the newer one 10 degrees higher.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I did a comparison with 2x units on a bong. The OG with O-ring removed and a new device with a good seal (not the newest steel retainer) and noted the newer version got to temperature much quicker but the extraction was very similar.
I will try the experiment again with the new metal oven retainer against the o-ring-fitted version for a day or so and report back.:tup:

Old Stoner1958

I did a comparison with 2x units on a bong. The OG with O-ring removed and a new device with a good seal (not the newest steel retainer) and noted the newer version got to temperature much quicker but the extraction was very similar.
I will try the experiment again with the new metal oven retainer against the o-ring-fitted version for a day or so and report back.:tup:
Isnt science fun and uplifting.....lol

Petetbay

I don't notice any difference in flavor, just that the older version makes slightly bigger clouds, even running the newer one 10 degrees higher.
I haven’t used my OG Roffu much lately, did a comparison 10 long pulls @ 350*F, then stepped to 428*F, definitively hotter with the OG, favor and cloud density decreased earlier and at 428, taste went bad earlier and tasted like it was going to combust with blackened avb, it surprised me big time. My OG using parchment paper in place of the o-ring. Next maybe I’ll try a bit of parchment paper in the clip version and see if they work the same. :hmm:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
So I have been 'testing' the new S/S clip oven retained Roffu v the older o-ring held oven on a bong as discussed.
I ran them side-by-side at 210c/410f on a Y-adapter and could not really see any difference in vapor exiting the units. I dumped the ABV on a white sheet of paper and found the piles look very similar,
1688783875205-jpg.47743

On the left=old unit, right side new S/S retainer clip...4x small puffs as I am/was recovering from Covid...again.🤧
I also noticed the newer version is 5 seconds faster reaching 210c/410f. FYI this 'older' version is about 5 seconds faster than my OG to get to set temps. So it seems each minor revision is getting firmware tweaks as well.
Had a break in the crappy winter weather so got out for a walk with the Roffu...and a woofa(dig sitting for a couple of weeks),
1689056456203-jpg.47823

1689072125569-jpg.47824

Last edited:

yessir

I just got my xlux a couple days ago. Every time it's on in session mode I hear a clicking /electrical noise coming from the device. Is this normal? It works totally normally otherwise

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Every time it's on in session mode I hear a clicking /electrical noise coming from the device. Is this normal?
Welcome to the Roffu club!
This clicking is totally normal, has something to do with the PWM power management and is common to a lot of vapes...nothing to worry about.:tup:
Edit, found this,
It would probably be using a PWM (pulse width modulation) board which basically switches on and off many times a second to control the wattage and can give a buzzing sound at certain frequencies.

yessir

Welcome to the Roffu club!
This clicking is totally normal, has something to do with the PWM power management and is common to a lot of vapes...nothing to worry about.:tup:
Edit, found this,
It would probably be using a PWM (pulse width modulation) board which basically switches on and off many times a second to control the wattage and can give a buzzing sound at certain frequencies.
Alright, great to hear! Thanks

newola

My roffu doesn't make a sound at all. I had a wolkenkraft aris a couple of years ago that crackled and clicked. I sent it back. So far (8 months) my roffu has been a joy 👍

Xapove

Maybe so, still not a problem, as I said, all mine tick and I have over 8000 puffs on one unit.
If you Google it you will find lots of info on ticking vapes due to PWM switching.:tup:
Isn't this PWM switching that guarantees that the temperature that appears on the screen is "exactly" the same as that of the oven? I've seen a DaVinci representative saying that their devices, at least the IQ/IQ2 models, also have this feature. Honestly it never bothered me and I can only hear it by holding the vaporizer close to my ear.

Petetbay

I have 2 Roffus and never heard any clicking. :2c:
Well, apparently I’m in error, the clicking isn’t very loud and I have skins on both units so 3 inches from my ear I couldn’t hear it, now placing it against my ear I hear the clicking mostly on initial heat up, but you get a few clicks after a pull or temp changes. I guess it’s normal. My hearing is probably half of normal so that clicking ain’t something I could hear, so it don’t bother me and my units work good. Now I listened to a few other vapes and the Rogue, V3Pro, and Starry 4 have same clicking, V3Pro and Starry not as loud. :doh:

newola

Maybe so, still not a problem, as I said, all mine tick and I have over 8000 puffs on one unit.
If you Google it you will find lots of info on ticking vapes due to PWM switching.:tup:

Dude what are you on about? You said I was the odd one out for having a non clicking roffu. I have never complained about ticking, I merely said mine didn't tick?

I highlighted I wasn't alone with the tick free device (which I'm very happy about by the way) then you come back with 'it's still not a problem' wtf? I WASN'T COMPLAINING

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I highlighted I wasn't alone with the tick free device (which I'm very happy about by the way) then you come back with 'it's still not a problem' wtf? I WASN'T COMPLAINING
I was just merely letting everyone know it is not a problem...either way, clicking or non-clicking, pretty sure you have misunderstood something as I was not accusing you of complaining.:tup:

LesPlenty,
Reactions: Sue Narmy
Top Bottom