Weird News Stories of the Day.....

florduh

from quora, "Is it safe to go to Sweden?
A small suburb to Stockholm, the capital, received more immigrants from Iraq than the whole USA in a year. We have open borders and it´s like a war over here. Ordinary people get shot by accident by immigrants/organized crime. Like Chicago in the old days. I´m about to move to the Philipines.

A quick google shows,

Murders in all of Sweden in 2020: 124

Murders in Florida in 2020: 1,285

Sweden seems exceptionally safe.

Planck

believes in Dog

Chris Ebber
, lives in Sweden
I was just outside, and it seems safe.

There was actually a little brown bear by the side of the road, diving into a ditch as I approached, which is amazing to see. They are not very commonly seen, and when you do, better run, because mum is nearby, and may misunderstand the situation, no matter how polite you are. And they won’t wait and pose, either, unfortunately.
Bummer, given my trusty Canon EOS was right next to me on the car seat.
Anyway “right now”, things look like this around where I live - the following images are under two hours old, and things don’t seem to have deteriorated since th
Continue Reading

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I would say that you would have to be extremely, erm, challenged, to get these two confused... the resemblance is practically non-existent, yet Mondelez are being nasty about it and trying to intimidate and bully a smaller company for no sensible or rational reason that I can see... super weird!!

In a similar level of extreme arrogance and exceptionalism, the UK government thinks it can tell "Johnny Foreigner" to fuck off because they don't want scum like that having freedom of movement between the UK and mainland Europe, then when it realises that it made a huge mistake and the UK actually relies on people from other countries for essential services, it can issue 'temporary' visas and expect them to all come running back ... for a few months... 😂

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!

"both taste testers preferred the laser-cooked chicken over the conventionally cooked chicken, mainly because it was less dry and rubbery and had a more pleasing texture."

Wow... you have to wonder what lengths they went to to destroy the regular chicken so the extruded laser chicken was actually better!

Trying to remember if I have ever actually had dry rubbery chicken? 😂

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Agreed, but I don't think this tech changes anything on that score, unfortunately:

"The scientists purchased raw chicken breast from a local convenience store and then pureed it in a food processor to get a smooth, uniform consistency. They removed any tendons and refrigerated the samples before repackaging them into 3D-printing syringe barrels to avoid clogging."

as a side note, it's all a bit Soylent Green for me, give me proper well looked after free range chicken or some proper veggies, I am not into processed food at all, I like to do all my own processing!

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I've just removed 14 posts that became a bit too political for FC. Please steer clear of political discussions and leave this thread for weird news stories of the day.

Thank you for your cooperation.

:peace:

Thank you. It's a shame that political conversations can't be expected to be civil and friendly. It is what it is.

florduh

I've been following this story for about a year now. A lawyer named Steven Donzinger obtained a massive judgement for natives in Ecuador who were poisoned by Chevron, causing mass cancer and death. Chevron doesn't want to pay, so they got some guy to claim Donzinger bribed an Ecuadorian judge to get the settlement. Which is pretty nuts given that Chevron doesn't even deny that the poisoning happened.

Chevron sued Donzinger in the US. A Federal judge ordered Donzinger to turn over his laptop to Chevron. Donzinger refused, because the laptop contained privileged communication between him and his Ecuadorian clients. His Ecuadorian clients were (rightfully) scared of reprisals from Chevron.

It's extremely unusual for courts to ask lawyers to reveal such information. But still Steven was charged with contempt of court. The judge in his case is a former member of a fossil fuel law firm. Unfortunately for her, the Feds had no interest in pursuing this case. So she hired a private law firm employed by Chevron to prosecute the case.

Steven was placed under house arrest. Where he's been for the last 787 days. For a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 6 months. Previously, the longest sentence any attorney faced for a contempt charge was 90 days house arrest. He's served about 9 times that already.

Just this week, the fucking UN said Steven's detention was illegal and immoral. Shit they usually have to say about third world countries.

So a private Chevron law firm can prosecute an American citizen in US Federal court. The fossil fuel companies also own the judge. They were able to lock a lawyer in his apartment for 2 whole years. Because he had the audacity to make Chevron pay for people they've killed and maimed. Truly terrifying.

Steven had his final sentencing this morning. The Chevron judge sentenced him to 6 months in actual prison. After spending 2 years under house arrest. Absolutely disgusting.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I've been following this story for about a year now. A lawyer named Steven Donzinger obtained a massive judgement for natives in Ecuador who were poisoned by Chevron, causing mass cancer and death. Chevron doesn't want to pay, so they got some guy to claim Donzinger bribed an Ecuadorian judge to get the settlement. Which is pretty nuts given that Chevron doesn't even deny that the poisoning happened.

Chevron sued Donzinger in the US. A Federal judge ordered Donzinger to turn over his laptop to Chevron. Donzinger refused, because the laptop contained privileged communication between him and his Ecuadorian clients. His Ecuadorian clients were (rightfully) scared of reprisals from Chevron.

It's extremely unusual for courts to ask lawyers to reveal such information. But still Steven was charged with contempt of court. The judge in his case is a former member of a fossil fuel law firm. Unfortunately for her, the Feds had no interest in pursuing this case. So she hired a private law firm employed by Chevron to prosecute the case.

Steven was placed under house arrest. Where he's been for the last 787 days. For a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 6 months. Previously, the longest sentence any attorney faced for a contempt charge was 90 days house arrest. He's served about 9 times that already.

Just this week, the fucking UN said Steven's detention was illegal and immoral. Shit they usually have to say about third world countries.

So a private Chevron law firm can prosecute an American citizen in US Federal court. The fossil fuel companies also own the judge. They were able to lock a lawyer in his apartment for 2 whole years. Because he had the audacity to make Chevron pay for people they've killed and maimed. Truly terrifying.

Steven had his final sentencing this morning. The Chevron judge sentenced him to 6 months in actual prison. After spending 2 years under house arrest. Absolutely disgusting.

You are VERY brave posting this!! They will be knocking on YOUR door next!!

🙄

florduh

You are VERY brave posting this!! They will be knocking on YOUR door next!!

🙄

Probably not. But it is really scary how far they went to destroy a guy for exposing their crimes.

It's pretty phenomenal to me that NO major news org covered this story. The NYT is literally a 20 minute walk from Steven's apartment. Why haven't they covered this story? Even if you think the guy's guilty, it's still an interesting story! The fucking UN says a guy in YOUR neighborhood is a political prisoner!

Well, Chevron and other extraction companies buy a lot of advertising in print and on TV. Can't bite the hand that feeds you.

Why hasn't any NY politician stood up for Steven? They are similarly bought off by fossil fuel companies. Which is fucking hilarious since Chevron claims Steven bribed Ecuadorian officials to get his just judgement. Bitch, you people have bought off the entire US government!

A corporation just used US Federal courts to put a US citizen in prison. After he spent 2 years under house arrest. Using their own private prosecutors. Why are private prosecutors even a thing?!

We've entered a new era of corporate prosecutions. And it's terrifying.

Last edited:

Tranquility

I don't have an opinion here and note there are some problems with Donzigner as well. 'When Journalism is Too Good to Be True,' It Usually Isn't: William Langewiesche Edition

However, the time "served" issue is fairly common in the U.S. By not turning over the data/password, the court judge held him in *civil* contempt. There, the goal is (purportedly) not to punish but to get compliance. Think of that incarceration of having to wear a mask if you're not vaccinated. There is no appeal. There is no argument. Confinement until compliance.

After a time, either the statutes/cases in the state regarding the difference between civil and criminal contempt came into effect or Donzigner forced the issue with a writ of some sort, which caused the civil contempt to now be charged as the crime of criminal contempt. When convicted criminally of the crime, THEN the sentence (punishment) is served. But, there will never be a credit for time confined before charging.
Federal Sentencing Tips
In part:
  • While the federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) will not credit an inmate’s sentence for time served on pretrial release under home confinement or in a halfway house if that placement was as a condition of bond, as opposed to an alternative custody arrangement (see Reno v. Koray, 515 U.S. 50 (1995)), courts are nonetheless free to account for such time as a basis for a variance. Gall provides useful language concerning the punitive nature of home detention, depending on the nature and scope of court-ordered conditions.

Tranquility,

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Why ...?

Because ALL politicians are corrupt.

Because all media agencies are in the pockets fiddling with the genitals of all the politicians!

Because all criminal capitalism is raping the world, people and resources for shareholder profit and they have the money, power and moral bankruptcy to pressure the few unwilling politicians into doing what they want.

It's been this way for a long time, it's not going to change, they are just getting more brazen about doing it and taking less care to cover their criminal acts, because they know they have it all sewn up!

Even if they are prosecuted, they just laugh because the fines are ludicrous and make absolutely no difference to them, they carry on committing their crimes with impunity.

Hell... at this point I am 99.9999% convinced that they actually ENJOY torturing, maiming, raping and otherwise violating other people... profit AND fun!

I mean if you can turn a bigger profit by not adhering to safety regulations AND give loads of people cancer at the same time AND your mate is in the pharmaceutical industry - it's just WIN WIN WIN!

Edit: I just had a quick look... These fuckers are pure evil, this is just the stuff that finally made it to court, goodness knows how much has been swept under the carpet, people murdered to shut them up, etc.... I imagine the criminal activities of this company are daily, brutal, are needlessly excessively violent and for pleasure:

Last edited:

Tranquility

Forgot to mention about the private prosecutor, it is not only allowed, but REQUIRED if the government does not prosecute. (Which might happen if the party the government favors is the one in contempt.)

Rule 42. Criminal Contempt
...(2) Appointing a Prosecutor. The court must request that the contempt be prosecuted by an attorney for the government, unless the interest of justice requires the appointment of another attorney. If the government declines the request, the court must appoint another attorney to prosecute the contempt....

florduh

Hell... at this point I am 99.9999% convinced that they actually ENJOY torturing, maiming, raping and otherwise violating other people... profit AND fun!

I don't know if they enjoy inflicting suffering. But I think we're starting to see the limits of worshipping profit above anything else. Doesn't seem like a really good principle to organize a society around.

What's lost in all of this too is the Ecuadorian natives themselves. Chevron was able to use their claims of bribery by Donziger to get the judgement vacated. They still haven't been paid for the suffering inflicted upon them by Chevron.

And the claims that Steven bribed anyone are bullshit. Chevron's star witness in the bribery case later completely recanted his claims.

In fact CHEVRON bribed him, to the tune of $12k a month to lie about Donzinger so they could get out of paying the natives they maimed.

I feel awful. I never really helped spread the word about this case, because I stupidly believed that in the end, justice would prevail. The fucking Chevron judge during sentencing said she was using a "two by four" to hit Steven across the head with a 6 month sentence so he and others will finally respect the courts.

What's funny is, her Chevron kangaroo court has completely demolished any claim of legitimacy the US judicial system has. What the Chevron judge surely meant is, this is what happens to people who stand up to our corporate rulers. They get their lives ruined.

florduh

I don't have an opinion here and note there are some problems with Donzigner as well. 'When Journalism is Too Good to Be True,' It Usually Isn't: William Langewiesche Edition

Whatever problems there are with Donzinger, they seem really moot in the face of Chevron's crimes and the court's corruption. Chevron's entire RICO case against Donzinger is based on the testimony of a witness who later admitted to lying. If anything Chevron bribed the Ecuadorian official to lie about Donzinger.

Aren't you a lawyer? You don't have an opinion on locking up a fellow attorney for 3 years for refusing to turn over privileged client communication to an adversarial law firm?

Forgot to mention about the private prosecutor, it is not only allowed, but REQUIRED if the government does not prosecute. (Which might happen if the party the government favors is the one in contempt.)

Not really a feather in the cap of our 'ol legal system. But even so, the Judge appointed a private law firm with ties to Chevron to prosecute the case. A company that admitted they had a "long term strategy to demonize Steven Donzinger". Seems like an odd way to run a judicial system.

The United Nations said what has happened to Donzinger is a human rights violation. I'm interested to see if the actual prison sentence forces the media to cover this story, fossil fuel ad revenue be damned.

Tranquility

You don't have an opinion on locking up a fellow attorney for 3 years for refusing to turn over privileged client communication to an adversarial law firm?
At least that attorney has more grit than either Rudy or Cohen because they turned over legally requested information even though they had a potential claim of privilege as well. In this suit, however, Donzigner was accused of racketeering regarding fraud and bribery he allegedly committed in getting the judgment. That's not "privileged" even if it was through a communication with a client.

As to feathers in cap of the legal system, see also...LOTS of things. I started to list but they seemed political so stopped. But, lots of things.

xdejj.jpg

Tranquility,
Reactions: florduh

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I don't know if they enjoy inflicting suffering.

No, but it is perhaps a good base from which you can quite legitimately ask why they have repeatedly committed similar criminal acts throughout their entire existence as a company and if they really don't enjoy it... when exactly are they going to stop doing these horrifically abusive violent acts?

What's lost in all of this too is the Ecuadorian natives themselves.

Always! Such tragedy.

No matter what anyone says, these corporations are not your friends, they do not care about anyone except themselves, they are selfish, narcissistic socio/psychopathic entities and the people who run them are the same. It absolutely is us and them. They are not human in my opinion, they have lost their, for want of a better word... souls! You know that bit of every person that shows compassion and understanding - they have lost it or had it removed and in doing so give away their humanity.

I feel awful. I never really helped spread the word about this case,

And this is why you are a human being and they are not, even though this is absolutely not your fault, you feel bad when they absolutely do not?

My advice, take it or leave it... is to give yourself a break here! Come on... it's not your fault, you should not feel bad or responsible in any way. I believe even if you had spread the word it would probably have made fuck all difference in the grand scheme of things, protests like this rarely do. Although I can see how it would make you feel better in some way.

florduh

At least that attorney has more grit than either Rudy or Cohen because they turned over legally requested information even though they had a potential claim of privilege as well. In this suit, however, Donzigner was accused of racketeering regarding fraud and bribery he allegedly committed in getting the judgment. That's not "privileged" even if it was through a communication with a client.

As to feathers in cap of the legal system, see also...LOTS of things. I started to list but they seemed political so stopped. But, lots of things.

xdejj.jpg

He might be guilty. But the longest sentence an attorney has ever been given for a contempt charge was 90 days. Donzinger served 9 times that, plus the maximum prison sentence allowed by law. The presiding judge has financial ties to Chevron. So did the "prosecutors". The whole thing stinks.

Donzinger claims he didn't turn over his laptop to protect the lives of his Ecuadorian clients. Now, I don't know if Ecuador is that dangerous. But Chevron sure believes it is. They moved the corrupt Ecuadorian official who concocted the bribery story to the US over concerns for his safety. And gave him $12,000 per month for "living expenses", which is a suspiciously nice per diem.

Also given the lengths Chevron went through to ruin Donzinger's life, I don't blame the guy for not wanting to basically hand his laptop to Chevron. They even made a fake news site that only publishes hit pieces on Donzinger. Christ knows what kind of revenge they'd be willing to get on poor Ecuadorians who testified against them.

At the very least, the court could've taken steps to address Donzinger's safety concerns. Like, maybe appoint a prosecutor without financial ties to Chevron. Instead they locked him up.

True. I understand this isn't the first miscarriage of justice in the US. It might not even be the first time the UN said the US is holding a political prisoner who must be released and paid restitution. But this case is pretty compelling proof that the fossil fuel industry owns just about every lever of power in the country.

Jerry Nadler is Donzinger's Congressman. They live in the same neighborhood. Nadler is the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. Donzinger's attorneys have sent Nadler thousands of emails, asking for help. Nadler has no comment on one of his constituents having his human rights violated, according to the UN. Because his son is in business with Chevron.

Both NY Senators have received over a million dollars from Chevron. I'm sure that has nothing to do with their silence on this matter though.

Also, Donzinger was in the same Harvard Law class as Obama. Even if you think the guy is guilty, isn't one of Obama's classmates being called a political prisoner by the UN a big story? I don't think a single big new org has covered it. Odd.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
it's all a bit Soylent Green for me

I always wondered why so many saw soylent green as a bad thing. I thought it sounded like a good thing. Might as well put those bodies to good use feeding people, rather than just sticking them in the ground and wasting all that useful material.

I'm always annoyed by headlines like this that say there's a video, but them don't include the video in the article.

Think of that incarceration of having to wear a mask if you're not vaccinated. There is no appeal. There is no argument. Confinement until compliance.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Get those dangerous fuckers off the streets if they don't give a shit who they kill. They might as well be walking around with a gun, while closing their eyes and taking random shots into public spaces.

Even if they are prosecuted, they just laugh because the fines are ludicrous and make absolutely no difference to them, they carry on committing their crimes with impunity.

Yeah, I've always thought that fines for crimes should be based on a percentage of net worth, so they effect everyone evenly.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I always wondered why so many saw soylent green as a bad thing. I thought it sounded like a good thing. Might as well put those bodies to good use feeding people, rather than just sticking them in the ground and wasting all that useful material.

the silence of the lambs hannibal GIF

Top Bottom