Discontinued VRIPtech Heating Wand

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
It was processing AoZ. It's online. Patience lad.

Nice video stonemonkey55, the thing looks a lot easier to use, but larger than I thought...

Boy, I sure want one!

stonemonkey55 said:
Spiral, did I ever tell you I went to Alaska last year? Actually went on a cruise and got stopped off at about 5 different ports. Loved the state, loved the natural beauty. I even had a chance to hang out with some guys that raced in the Iditerod (sp?) and their dogs. It must be nice to be able to get vaked and be one with nature up there...
Oh sweet. No, I don't think you did.... although you might've. If you went on a cruise you most likely stopped by my town (the capital). Yup, it's great here. Iditarod btw. Right now I get vaked and stay inside - too fucking cold. :lol:

I think I'll be purchasing 1 more vaporizer before the end of the year. Like I said, I sold my big bong for a pretty penny and I have some other glass that is up for sale here in town... I never use them!!! Sooooo, that leaves me with the choice between an SSV or this. I've been debating on an SSV to 'upgrade' from my VW, but it's just so darn pricey. :/

SpiralArchitect,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Nice.

So the silicone is completely optional? You said it was just to protect you from burning yourself but I thought I read it also helped make a better seal.... maybe I misread.

I popped an email over to Vriptech for a price check on the wand + bowl pieces + water tool. All together I'd assume it would be about the same price as an SSV with one of their small bongs.

I also noticed their was a little LED light on it.... I don't think I noticed this before. What does it indicate? Power? Up to heat?

SpiralArchitect,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
The silicone is optional and can be removed if you are gentle. It does add a nice seal with the upper intake and does slightly improve the thickness of the vapor. Not necessary and the glass work underneath is very beautiful. Even the way the intake holes are shaped, they are molded so the air enters in a horizontal pattern to get the swirling to facilitate the venturi effect. I will add a picture of the heatwand without the silicone when I get a chance.

The VHW, intake, + Pro Water tool should be about $275, (while he still has the discounted pieces) or you can skip the Pro Water tool and get whatever glass water pipe that you desire. I like the PWT due to it's size, not too big, not too small and has the ice catcher. I kinda like the scientific beaker look as well.

The led light shows when the ceramic heating element is receiving juice. You can hit it without a problem even when the light is on but obviously, you get the best hits when the light turns off. It's really no different than any other ceramic heating element except that there is a light that notifies you when the heating element is reaches the desired temperature and when it is heating back up to the optimal temperature.

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
So, if I am reading this right, the light indicates when it is basically 'warming up', and turns off when it's up to heat?

How close to combustion have you brought your material? Would an inexperienced user maybe burn the weed? I may have asked earlier on in this thread, excuse me if I have....

SpiralArchitect,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Yeah, if you watch the video, you will notice that the light comes on periodically for a few seconds, but for the most part, remains off once it reaches the desired temperature. I don't really base my inhales on when the light is on or off as I'm pretty sure the controller doesn't allow the temperature to fluctuate all that much.

If you have it on the max temp setting and do super slow inhales, there might be a small chance at combustion, but I think for the most part, you would have to be deliberately trying to make it combust in order to get that result.

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Awesome.... I actually just remembered I own a Blue Dot bong but it's sitting at my friends house, unused in Seattle!!! This is looking like it may be my next vape purchase. Looking forward to it. :brow:

Has anyone else picked one up? How did you get yours so early dude?

SpiralArchitect,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I took the silicone sleeve off so that you guys can get a chance to look at the intricate glass work on the VHW. Not too sure if you can see the intakes in these pictures but the way they are angled makes the air flow in double helix type of pattern to induce the venturi effect. I don't know how much this actually adds to the vaprizor's performance but as you can tell by the video, you get really high vapor to air ratios without the vapor ever tasting remotely smokey. It's a bit tougher to tell, and even though ceramic doesn't off gas until much higher temperatures, I think it's pretty sweet that the heating element is also encapsulated in glass. I can see the VHW having a very good relationship with your blue dot! :brow. To answer your question, I just happened to contact Mark the day he came back with a working VHW and lower intake. The first couple ones were all hand blown, including the lower intake and they began creating tools so that they could start standardizing the pieces. Long story short, because of the delays (the lower intake proved to be very tricky for some reason, I forget), I just happen to have the first functioning commercial VHW. As far as I know, the actual ship date should be sometime this week:

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Awesome man, thanks for those pictures.... I'm starting to really crave one now, and that spiral design -- fuck, of course I am a fan! :p

I'm a bit curious about the length of the cord however.... do you have any specs on that? I'd hope for something super long so that you can pass it around the room, instead of people having to rotate around the power outlet. :/

By the way bro, your going to have to use a different hosting site for your signature picture -- CoolText doesn't allow hotlinking.

SpiralArchitect,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
After watching that video, you're really making me want one of these. I'm a bit late to the party and I'm getting confused with all the terminology (also I haven't owned any kind of pipe for many years). Were you saying that the whole setup costs $275? So that's the bong, the glass stem, the glass bowl, and the wand all together in a kit?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is the temperature adjustable? If so, is it a separate control unit, or on the wand itself? Does it work well with small bits of weed? Do the glass bowl and stem get too hot to touch?

The only problem I see with this setup is that I'd be concerned about dropping it, and the hot wand lying around. Other than that, it looks great.

hazy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hazy my friend, how are you doing? Have you had a chance to practice some capoeira with the group you met? Anyhow to answer your questions, yes, there is an adjustable temperature control located on the heat wand itself. I had wanted to make my own heat wand with one of the high end Hakkos but couldn't find one with a built in heat dial, they all needed to be hooked up to a separate controller.

So for $275 you will get: $100 VHW (with the broform special), $50 Shorty VCB, $125 Pro Water Tool, hopefully he will come out with a 007 kit for the VHW, that will be sweet and allow for easy travel. The VHW works well with with whatever amount of herb you would like to use although the PD is still the more efficient vaporizer.

One of the disadvantages of the all the glass set up is that it is more fragile. The silicone on the outside shields you from getting burned but is still warm to the touch.

Spiral - I measured the length of the cord and it is 6 feet long. Not extremely long but not really short either. I have mine connected to an extension cord to make it easier to pass around. On a side note, I do recall Mark saying that the 240v VHWs have a 8 foot cord and maybe the next gen of VHWs might have the longer cord. Honestly, it could be longer but the length of the cord doesn't inhibit you from normal use when passing it around

stonemonkey55,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Thanks stonemonkey, haven't been able to do anything for a few weeks due to a small health problem (which I've mostly recovered from), and now it's the summer holiday season and everything basically shuts down for a while, so hopefully I'll be able to get onto it some time in the new year.

I've just read through the whole thread and I realise some of my questions have already been answered :rolleyes:. I also looked at the vriptech site and I'm starting to get a better idea of what this is all about. For the uninitiated then:
VHW = the heat wand
VCB = the glass piece that allows the VHW to seal against it
VWT (pro version) = the bong including a glass-on-glass stem with integrated bowl

If possible it would be good to see a clear closeup of the VWT featuring the GonG joint and the steel mesh in the bowl, and another shot with the VCB mounted as well. Sorry for being a bit clueless about this, but I'm having trouble visualising all the details exactly.

Since I started vapourising, I've realised that I'd like to be able to completely vapourise small amounts of weed in one hit (like pulling a bong I guess). I was reading on the vrip site about "full-spectrum" vapour. Is that was this implies?

I think that the Pelican case is a must for this setup :cool:

hazy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hazy - You got it on all the abbreviations, although I was incorrectly calling the Pro Vaporization Water Tool PWT, instead of VWT. I will post up a picture later on today that will show you how everything works together.

As far as your desire to completely vaporize a small amount in one hit, I think the Purple Days would be your only that can do that due to the size and shape of it's stem. What I can tell you is that next to the Purple Days, this unit produces the highest vapor to air ratio of all my other vaporizers. It is possible to vape an entire bowl in 2-4 hits, but unfortunately, the one hitter is not possible with this unit. Even with the PD, it sometimes takes 2-3 hits to clear an entire bowl. I guess the flipside is, with the way the vapor tastes coming out of this thing, you'll want to be taking more hits :o

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
It is possible to vape an entire bowl in 2-4 hits, but unfortunately, the one hitter is not possible with this unit.
Really? Even with a large bong and killer lungs like myself? When I use to rip the bong daily, I could take a .5-.7 bong snap with the greatest of ease....

How does this compare to the Herborizer in delivering those one-hitters? IIRC, you do own one, right?

SpiralArchitect,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
SA ? I was just speaking in terms of my own lung power, I think you could potentially clear a bowl in one hit if you were to have the following factors:

1 ? someone with huge lungs
2 ? a higher than normal vaporizing temperature
3 ? dry herbs

The performance differences between the Herbo and the VHW are minimal. I believe the VHW to be the slightly better performing unit between the two but in a beauty pageant, the Herbo takes the cup. I would consider the Herbo if you want something 100% handsfree, if you prefer the standard wand set up for the SSV, then the VHW will be more up your alley. I have no issues with the stainless steel heating element (it holds it?s temperature extremely steady) with the Herbo but I wish it were encapsulated in glass like the VHW.

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yeah I hear ya.... I've never owned a standard vaporizer (my VW is handsfree). So yeah, I think it will be a nice change. And for the price of the Herbo Injector I could get 2 of these puppies. :cool: Hopefully vriptech will reply to my email quickly so I can put in an order and maybe try it out before new years.

SpiralArchitect,

youdontknowme

hazy said:
Since I started vapourising, I've realised that I'd like to be able to completely vapourise small amounts of weed in one hit (like pulling a bong I guess). I was reading on the vrip site about "full-spectrum" vapour. Is that was this implies?
Exactly, that pretty much sums up what I was going for in my "Big hits, small doses" thread. FWIW, I've been able to try out a PD a few times now, and while I'm not going to knock its claims of efficiency or anything else, I am going to say that even if the bowl is completely vaporized it still does not deliver the same strength of hit even as my VB. This is probably due to the size and design of the bowl. At this point I am basically saving up for the Herborizer XL Sphere, hopefully get it around spring, we'll see. I think what sold me on the Herbo is the potential for more hands-free action, but if you want you can throw the element on to a GonG piece to get that pipe feeling.

youdontknowme,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
The PD just has a different feel to it. It has such a constricted air flow, that you can't help but get thick vapor hits. If you were to hit the VHW just as slow, I guess there is a possibility you can clear the bowls in one hit but I don't like vaping that way. I just like inhaling and exhaling at the pace that I want to and the VHW does a pretty good job of readjusting it's temperature so that your vapor won't be too light or too smokey.

I wish I could figure out a way to make the VHW hands free, maybe in the next gen versions, that could be a possibility. Still, I am very satisfied with the VHW in it's current form. The custom glass piece on the VHW does come off it you want it to, so I could definitely envision different glass pieces in the future, hands free, gong joints, etc etc.

hazy - still haven't forgot to put the photo where the VCB connects to the VWT, but will do so sometime today.

stonemonkey55,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
Just have him look at a site like tokecity.com and hopefully he'll realize he's nuts for ignoring the gong world. The bowl NEEDS a gong joint!!

KeepCalm,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
KC - are you referring to a GonG joint for the bowl to the waterpipe? or a GonG joint for the heatwand to the bowl? Man, if only a few of us would email VRIPtech and request this product so he doesn't think that I'm the only one here that wants GonG joints

stonemonkey55,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Here's the pic of the current stem and how it goes into the VWT. They said it was designed this way to mimic the act of clearing a waterpipe...

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Seems like a complicated setup for something that could be much simpler; a ground glass bowl piece with the large 'wide bowl' for the herbs and where you stick in the wand. One piece, simple and easy. Put a screen in that sucker and your ready to rock.

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Count me as one who likes the current design (in theory at least, I haven't tried it). Ground glass joints are sick, but for something that gets pulled a lot, and by clumsy people, an airtight faux-GonG connection is cool.

sm5, please stop teasing us. When can I actually buy one? :p (Just kidding, thanks for the pics)

vtac,
Reactions: ataxian
Top Bottom