trevytrev

Happy little clouds
Hey all,

My air rocker switch blew yesterday, it came a bit loose and then I turned it on, there was a big pop and flash and that's it! I know you can replace them but have I possibly damaged more than the switch? Also, I am in the UK, does anyone know if you can buy new switches here as looks like mainly only available in the US?

olysh pops

This post is a simple review of the S&B wooden brush, with a few photos.

Brush-1.jpg

It's a versatile and sturdy tool, used on a daily basis for spraying.

The bristles of the brush are made of horse hair, they are thick, not very flexible and compacted. This makes it an effective tool for cleaning the heating chamber, the grills of the Volcano, for removing hash from the rim of a bowl, for sweeping up pieces of grass stuck in the grinder, for cleaning joints or any other part with alcohol.

If the hairs turn black, stick or take a flared shape, wham! a few seconds in an Iso bath and they are as they were originally.

With time of course the hairs shorten a little, some bend and have to be cut. There are some pictures below to compare a 10 year old brush and a new one. The other parts that make up the brush, like the metal that circles the bristles and the wooden handle are in the same condition as they were originally, with the added patina.

Brush-2.jpg

Brush-3.jpg

This super brush has a limitation, the horse hair does not withstand high temperatures and may melt.

Tribute to this brush that I have used daily for a long time in my vaping life :tup:

:)

Russibabagee

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread. So I have been vaping since 2010, thx to FC :) I started with the silver surfer, then PD, then lifesaber, then underdog, solo II, then dynavap, and now I got a volcano. 7 is too many :p

Now that Im an old man, I cought from vaping. I got the volcano, I've had it for about a month, and the vapor is good, efficiency is good, but I still cough (not as much, but a little is still too much)

I bought the magma bubbler (glass) and that improved things, but I was wonmdering if there is anything else I can do to make the vapor not cause the coughing.

Is it the heat of the vapor that causes coughing? The vapor doesnt seem hot.

It the moisure level of the vapor? The bubbler should handle that ya?

Should I change the bags more often? I have been using the same bag for a month.

I vape at 7, and use the magma bubbler with distilled water.

olysh pops

Nice collection ;)

I noticed that a very dense vapor can make you cough. And indeed it was related to a high temperature.

7 is 202°C/396°F, that can be a pretty high temperature depending on the material that is being vaporized. For herbs for example maybe try to vaporize around 5, at 178°C/352°F and gradually increase the temperature ?

Keeping the steam in the balloon for a long time (more than 5 min) also promotes coughing in my case.

On the other points you mention to explain the cough, especially age, I don't think/know.

olysh pops,

cvs8floz

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread. So I have been vaping since 2010, thx to FC :) I started with the silver surfer, then PD, then lifesaber, then underdog, solo II, then dynavap, and now I got a volcano. 7 is too many :p

Now that Im an old man, I cought from vaping. I got the volcano, I've had it for about a month, and the vapor is good, efficiency is good, but I still cough (not as much, but a little is still too much)

I bought the magma bubbler (glass) and that improved things, but I was wonmdering if there is anything else I can do to make the vapor not cause the coughing.

Should I change the bags more often? I have been using the same bag for a month.

You might try taking smaller hits and using strains with less THC, I find it is the THC that is the major culprit in coughing. Vapor should make you sneeze and want to blow your nose but not cough. And you might also want to try ball vapes like the B1, it can deliver massive hit but is gentler on your throat at the right temp, at least for me. Always use water filtration but you are already doing that. I personally like the 1:1 strains with CBD and THC around 8-10%, they get me plenty high every night and typically smell and taste great.

cvs8floz,

Russibabagee

Nice collection ;)

I noticed that a very dense vapor can make you cough. And indeed it was related to a high temperature.

7 is 202°C/396°F, that can be a pretty high temperature depending on the material that is being vaporized. For herbs for example maybe try to vaporize around 5, at 178°C/352°F and gradually increase the temperature ?

Keeping the steam in the balloon for a long time (more than 5 min) also promotes coughing in my case.

On the other points you mention to explain the cough, especially age, I don't think/know.
My homie suggests that a lower THC is the way to go too. Thx for suggestion :)

Nice collection ;)

I havent tried anything but 7. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

vapeguy

Is there no thread for the Volcano Digit? I went through all pages and didn't see it so I assume it's part of this thread.

I've had my Volcano Digit for over 7 years and in the last year it started not heating despite the heat light being on. Since the warranty was expired I opened it to investigate and I saw it's an overheat protection thermostat that's designed to cut power to the heater if it overheats that's cutting power despite it being at room temp. I found that by bending the contact pins back and forth it will make it work for a few weeks or months before I need to do this again.

I'm really considering just bypassing the thermostat, after all what are the odds of it overheating, how bad would it be if it happened, and it would turn off after 30 minutes anyway.

Does anyone know if that thermostat can be purchased so I can replace it instead of bypass it? I don't even remember if it looked replaceable.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Russibabagee

The simple truth is that many people use the Volcano incorrectly.
First of all people use way too much flower.

you really only need between 25-50 mg of fine ground (20-30 % thc) flower to fill a bag.
I use kitchen measuring spoons to get consistent bags. I have one called a "PINCH" (1/16 spoon) which holds 50 mg loose in the spoon.
For stronger flower (30%) I use a "Smidgen) 1/32 spoon .
So I use less when using stronger flower by 1/2.
Put a "liquid pad" on top of your fine ground flower in the filling chamber.

Not too HOT!!! Mine is set to 6.5 on the dial. My machine is 6 years old and I never turn it off.

So at 50 mg flower for a Bag of vapor that would be 20 Bags in a gram of flower. if that is not efficient I would like to know what us efficient.
70 Bags in an 1/8th.
Some people run the flower more than once. If there is still vapor in a second run then you are using too much flower.

Experiment with quality quantity and temp to see what works best for you.

You do not need to have a Bag with milk like vapor to get a great effect.

If you put some thought into it a person can dose very precisely and consistently with the Volcano.

From my perspective.
Drier flower is better.
too much flower makes it harsh
Too Much Heat makes it harsh.
Less is more.

When using a new bag the flavors is amazing. Older used bags loose this great flavor over time.

You can always Buy the XL bags and use a rubber band to make them the exact size that works best for you.
With the Volcano there are a number of variables:
Temp
quality
quantity
Balloon size

All effect the taste and effect of the flower.

Experiment
Use 30-50 mg per bag at 6/1/2 on the dial into a stock balloon to start. I will guess that you will end up enjoying your Volcano.

enjoy
Vapinmofo
I'm going to try all these suggestions, thx!

I havent tried anything but 7. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

I have reduced my temps and coughing has drastically chnaged :) I also got myself a chamber limiter thast takes the capsules. I have tried a few bags with it. so far i like it!

DrJynx86

Is there no thread for the Volcano Digit? I went through all pages and didn't see it so I assume it's part of this thread.

I've had my Volcano Digit for over 7 years and in the last year it started not heating despite the heat light being on. Since the warranty was expired I opened it to investigate and I saw it's an overheat protection thermostat that's designed to cut power to the heater if it overheats that's cutting power despite it being at room temp. I found that by bending the contact pins back and forth it will make it work for a few weeks or months before I need to do this again.

I'm really considering just bypassing the thermostat, after all what are the odds of it overheating, how bad would it be if it happened, and it would turn off after 30 minutes anyway.

Does anyone know if that thermostat can be purchased so I can replace it instead of bypass it? I don't even remember if it looked replaceable.

Probably the thermistor is unsoldered or has a "cold solder joint", as it gets better if you move it around, I'm sure if you reflow/solder the pins it will get back to working conditions.

Likun

I just bought a used Volcano Medic on Ebay for a penny. Seller stated it was repaired at Storz&Bickel a few months ago.
Now I'm afraid of having bought a counterfeit unit.

Are there any indicators nowadays to tell fake and genuine apart? Serial number or anything? The volcano looks very solid built.

A few more questions:
1. How lose/tight is the easy valve chamber supposed to sit? Compared to my hybrid the easy valve sits very lose on the medic.
2. How long are heat up time and filling time for a standard bag?

Thanks in advance.

olysh pops

I just bought a used Volcano Medic on Ebay for a penny. Seller stated it was repaired at Storz&Bickel a few months ago.
Now I'm afraid of having bought a counterfeit unit.
Can you try entering the serial number on the S&B website to declare your product, and see S&B's response ?

1. How lose/tight is the easy valve chamber supposed to sit? Compared to my hybrid the easy valve sits very lose on the medic.
It clips onto the Volcano without any gap or movement between the chamber and the heater.

2. How long are heat up time and filling time for a standard bag?
Around 6-7 minutes here, with a 12-year-old.

I hope it's the OG that's with you.

Likun

Can you try entering the serial number on the S&B website to declare your product, and see S&B's response ?

It clips onto the Volcano without any gap or movement between the chamber and the heater.

Around 6-7 minutes here, with a 12-year-old.

I hope it's the OG that's with you.
Thanks so much for your reply.
Just tried heating up mine, takes around 5 minutes from 0 to max temp. Seems good.

Still worried about the chamber.
I've tried to take a video, maybe you can confirm that it's correct /faulty?
I haven't tried if it holds up the bags as I yet have to purchase some.

Rodney

It arrived about 2 hours ago and this is seriously better than the Arizer Extreme-Q 5.0 that I have used for the last 2 month. I timed it and it took 2 minutes 31 seconds to heat up but I was using it not long before then and had turned it off. It cost me £304 (I am in UK) but for that I got same day delivery. The gold edition was £260 for 2 weeks but I never had the money until now but am very happy still.

The performance between this and the Arizer is very very noticeable in a lot of ways. Will list what is better about the volcano.

1. It extracts much more of the goodness from the herb, this is visible in AVB and you can feel it with the high.
2. The volcano takes less overall time to heat up from go as with the Arizer you need 5 minutes for glass bowl to heat up + time to reach max temp.
3. It takes much much less time to fill a bag as with the Arizer you can be waiting ages to fill a bag and this just adds to the time it takes.
4.. the Arizer has all these glass parts making them hard to clean and the airflow from herb to bag is restricted at many points.

The only bad thing about the volcano is that it sounds louder so I will speak to my neighbours and ask if it is too loud late at night but am sure it will be ok. Also and this does not affect me as i only use ballons is that as standard you cant use a whip or wand like with the Arizer but am good with that.

Sorry if I have rambled here as not used to comparing things let alone vapes but I do feel this needs posting and am sure it has been said before with anyone who owns both or maybe different and that is cool too :)

So just to recap if you have the MONEY buy a volcano classic over a Arizer Extreme-Q but only if you just like BALLONS.

Last edited:

hoptimum

It arrived about 2 hours ago and this is seriously better than the Arizer Extreme-Q 5.0 that I have used for the last 2 month. I timed it and it took 2 minutes 31 seconds to heat up but I was using it not long before then and had turned it off. It cost me £304 (I am in UK) but for that I got same day delivery. The gold edition was £260 for 2 weeks but I never had the money until now but am very happy still.

The performance between this and the Arizer is very very noticeable in a lot of ways. Will list what is better about the volcano.

1. It extracts much more of the goodness from the herb, this is visible in AVB and you can feel it with the high.
2. The volcano takes less overall time to heat up from go as with the Arizer you need 5 minutes for glass bowl to heat up + time to reach max temp.
3. It takes much much less time to fill a bag as with the Arizer you can be waiting ages to fill a bag and this just adds to the time it takes.
4.. the Arizer has all these glass parts making them hard to clean and the airflow from herb to bag is restricted at many points.

The only bad thing about the volcano is that it sounds louder so I will speak to my neighbours and ask if it is too loud late at night but am sure it will be ok. Also and this does not affect me as i only use ballons is that as standard you cant use a whip or wand like with the Arizer but am good with that.

Sorry if I have rambled here as not used to comparing things let alone vapes but I do feel this needs posting and am sure it has been said before with anyone who owns both or maybe different and that is cool too :)

So just to recap if you have the MONEY buy a volcano classic over a Arizer Extreme-Q but only if you just like BALLONS.
I’d only add that the Volcano valve system is better designed and integrated, and less fiddly. Fill up the bag, pop the mouthpiece on and enjoy a nice leisurely session.

olysh pops

The Volcano was my gateway to vaping and a great help when it came to stopping combustion. I'm using it a little less now, 12 years later, but it's still there to hand.

Absolutely no air retention and balloons are transportable (at least at home). Volcano allows easy access to huge clouds that compensate well for combustion; that's my experience.

Enjoy the balloons !

:tup:

Edit : what kind of valve do you have ?

Last edited:

Rodney

The Volcano was my gateway to vaping and a great help when it came to stopping combustion. I'm using it a little less now, 12 years later, but it's still there to hand.

Absolutely no air retention and balloons are transportable (at least at home). Volcano allows easy access to huge clouds that compensate well for combustion; that's my experience.

Enjoy the balloons !

Edit : what kind of valve do you have ?

atm just normal but do plane on getting reducer and the dosing caps. When you do use ti what is your normal process?

olysh pops

The normal process is simple, even a little brutal. After all, I'm looking for clouds and use classic hash as material.

Thermostat 439°F/226°C. There's a large quantity of crumbled hash laid out on a screen, itself laid out on the screen of the heating chamber (for easy cleaning).

Balloons are inflated, 6-8 perhaps, one after the other until the vapor is less dense. The material is stirred between each balloon.

When the steam is less dense, before inflating the balloon, I leave the heating chamber on the heating element for a few minutes. This adds conduction and helps extract the material.

Last edited:

Rodney

The simple truth is that many people use the Volcano incorrectly.
First of all people use way too much flower.

you really only need between 25-50 mg of fine ground (20-30 % thc) flower to fill a bag.
I use kitchen measuring spoons to get consistent bags. I have one called a "PINCH" (1/16 spoon) which holds 50 mg loose in the spoon.
For stronger flower (30%) I use a "Smidgen) 1/32 spoon .
So I use less when using stronger flower by 1/2.
Put a "liquid pad" on top of your fine ground flower in the filling chamber.

Not too HOT!!! Mine is set to 6.5 on the dial. My machine is 6 years old and I never turn it off.

So at 50 mg flower for a Bag of vapor that would be 20 Bags in a gram of flower. if that is not efficient I would like to know what us efficient.
70 Bags in an 1/8th.
Some people run the flower more than once. If there is still vapor in a second run then you are using too much flower.

Experiment with quality quantity and temp to see what works best for you.

You do not need to have a Bag with milk like vapor to get a great effect.

If you put some thought into it a person can dose very precisely and consistently with the Volcano.

From my perspective.
Drier flower is better.
too much flower makes it harsh
Too Much Heat makes it harsh.
Less is more.

When using a new bag the flavors is amazing. Older used bags loose this great flavor over time.

You can always Buy the XL bags and use a rubber band to make them the exact size that works best for you.
With the Volcano there are a number of variables:
Temp
quality
quantity
Balloon size

All effect the taste and effect of the flower.

Experiment
Use 30-50 mg per bag at 6/1/2 on the dial into a stock balloon to start. I will guess that you will end up enjoying your Volcano.

enjoy
Vapinmofo

When I first read this post I thought that you must just not have much herb or are exaggerating or something but after trying this with exactly 0.05 and putting a screen over it for now as dosing caps not arrived yet and I can confirm that you do indeed get 1 good normal sized bag out of it.

I was before this using 0.35g and getting 2 good bags and 1 very very thin vapour bag and the bags made me cough and i am still getting small headache from stopping combusting and it made them come worse.

I did try the 0.05g back when I first read this post but never put a screen over it so it never made much vapour.

The only difference I make to this is I keep my dial at 9 but over time will likely reduce this.

kendon

Late reply, but it might still help: I bought a broken Digit for cheap (60€ shipped :brow:), guessing/hoping it would be sad thermal fuse. It was, when I bridged the fuse it heated up immediately. Bought a new thermal fuse*, installed it with some minor modification, and now the Digit works just as new.

I have read that there is a chance that in case of a malfunction the heating element would heat the chamber until it melts, and then you have liquid aluminium dripping out of the Volcano. I have no idea if that could actually happen, but I also have no intentions to find out. The new fuse cost me 4,68€ incl. shipping, from my POV that is a nobrainer.

*got a generic 250°C fuse from ebay, had to file down the connectors a bit to make the cable shoes fit, but it worked out pretty well. Before doing that I asked S&B customer support to buy an original fuse from them, and told them that due to economic reasons I had no intentions to send it in for repair (warranty was already gone, obviously). They sent me a standard textblock reply telling me to send it in for a repair quote. Only after sending them a somewhat angry email complaining that they didn't even read my inquiry about the spare part they actually answered my question, stating that they don't sell spare parts individually. Not a fan of this policy, but I can't force them, so I got it on ebay.

sickmanfraud

https://www.vaposhop.com/products/volcano-classic-gold-20-year-special-edition

Cheap Classics for sale for our EU members. Unfortunately no shipping to North America

Edit- Can't personally vouch for this site but it looks legitimate

I don't recall buying anything from them, but they are FC sponsors. So, yes I think you can rely on them.

check this out, Volcano owners:

https://vapewidgets.com/products/the-glacier-tube-freeze-coil-and-water-bubbler-for-your-volcano

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Reactions: olysh pops
Top Bottom