Volcano Hybrid

snamuh

ghost
So in your opinion what would be a solution to this debacle, a new design or different material? Would a stainless steel chamber be better? Or how about the option to just shut off conduction all together. This situation is wack.
Replace plastics and pvc/vinyl with something else.

Sorry my post is useless it's the holiday and I've been drinking because I forgot to bring my weed.

snamuh,
Reactions: lokiki

Poostuff

Please delete
This is old news for me. I mentioned the scratching of the rings here a while back & opened an RMA.
At the time S&B said this was normal wear & tear, so for me it’s interesting to see the reactions to Troy’s video now.

I think the cleaning of the housing is referring to the herb dust that builds up on there & that has a possibility of dropping onto the top of the Hybrid, but it does seem extreme.

Regardless of all that S&B quietly updating the manual & adding a vague reference to potential health issues won’t offer anyone reassurance. More like the opposite especially judging from the online reactions.

david8613

I read on reddit that someone has a flowerpot and they get the same metal residue on q-tips. Can we get a few of us to qtip your metal vapes to see if you get this grey/black residue? I just cleaned my mighty, I use capsules so there is some metal to metal contact but no threads to add pressure, and i see no metal type residue to report. Gonna check my dynavap tomorrow.

lokiki

Yes I have noticed this at area above the plastic clips as well...
I hope they find a solution to this. Or should I email them about it?
I mailed them about it already and they stated they will rework the housings, a few pages back I posted a screenshot.

I don't think sending an extra mail will change anything but if you feel the need to do so, go for it.

habitat-fc

I read on reddit that someone has a flowerpot and they get the same metal residue on q-tips. Can we get a few of us to qtip your metal vapes to see if you get this grey/black residue? I just cleaned my mighty, I use capsules so there is some metal to metal contact but no threads to add pressure, and i see no metal type residue to report. Gonna check my dynavap tomorrow.

There is no aluminium residue on a Flowerpot, this is a S & B problem. The other vapes are fine.

btka

Think aluminium never was a good idea to use... it is very soft metal... and there are some questions regarding the use of aluminium for health reasons... also all this plastic s&b uses in their vapes ... times have changed and there is more competition then in the glory days of s&b...

WakeVape&Bake

Think aluminium never was a good idea to use... it is very soft metal... and there are some questions regarding the use of aluminium for health reasons... also all this plastic s&b uses in their vapes ... times have changed and there is more competition then in the glory days of s&b...

agreed

this whole affair made me rethink and reevaluate quite a few things when it comes to vaporization. one conclusion i came to is that i don´t want a device with aluminium and plastic everywhere anymore. too many potential problems that could arise from the use of these materials. as i´ve said i´ve had a Plenty which had an awful plasticky flavour to me, sold that after short use.

used a Mighty for a longer period between 2017 and 2019 but never was really onboard with this device, the haptics were offputting to me. and now with the Hybrid and its issues i come to the conclusion that S & B devices are maybe not for me. they are powerful, no question but i miss something from the effects. even if these are "strong" it is not the kind of high i really want. also, the haptics are just not my kind of thing, too industrial, too "machine" like. which is surely a plus for other people who like to push one button and be ready to vape.

i have discovered that butane powered vapes are giving me more wholesome and "warmer" effects, hard to describe but with those electric devices it is always missing something for me. maybe i am too much of an hippie for electric clouds or that the butane powered vapes come closer to a combustion like feeling, i don´t know what it is but for me there are vast differences in the effects.

at the moment i am exclusively on my Dynavaps and thinking about a Sticky Brick for the new year, never had one but was always interested in one.

currently moving my mind into selling the Hybrid which is giving me some kind of trouble, i really wanted to use this thing for years to come and was so happy to have one... but somehow it is just not what i want and the problems that arose in the last weeks, i just don´t want to deal with this or wait for possible solutions while the Hybrid acts like a 500 bucks brick.

so yeah, currently seriously thinking about selling it off while people have their x-mas money

Last edited:

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
valve-wooden-holder-656-p.jpg
I'm sorry but... You really think a metal screen will filter out aluminum dust in the airpath?..... Brother, you might want to stop commenting. Each one you post is more riddled with misinformation than the last lol
I'm creating a valve that does not come in contact with the heat ring. The valve will be like the Classic EZ valve. There wont be any scratching of the heat ring, Because the herb chamber wont touch and will be air tight unlike the plastic EZ valve now if you tried to use it on the Hybrid.:nod:
Now I'm using the EZ valve herb chamber. The bowl fits without touching the orange plastic housing. I'm able to heat soak the herb chamber without heating the orange housing. The clouds are more robust. No more hot orange plastic ring. Just make sure the Hybrid is fully heated up before placing herb in the chamber, Otherwise the pump will spew herb everywhere.:tup:

Last edited:

WakeVape&Bake

through the issues i did my own bit of research and i came across a rather questionable reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VolcanoVap..._this_white_powder_inside_my_reducer_chamber/

this user posted about some "white powder" in his reducer, obviously a classic/digit Volcano but whew, could this be the same substance that accumulates on the metal parts of the new chamber?

UUKYsvw_jxk6cS7m6DESsXh3iEUQDOJkZr7HiX3D_4Q.jpg

unfortunately the user never replied what the issue was but this is surely offputting as well. to me it looks like some ceramic dust or filling material...

david8613

I'm sorry but all this shit is giving me headache, what a Christmas gift. I sent an email to bloomgroove where I purchased my hybrid which I received on December 1st. I told them about the situation and what are my options for returning my hybrid and they told me to contact storz and bickle!!!! They have a 30 day return policy, so I emailed them on that waiting for a response. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the hybrid until we get an official word from storz and bickle. This really sucks, how the heck is storz-bickel not saying anything publicly???? Its all over the internet!

WakeVape&Bake

I'm sorry but all this shit is giving me headache, what a Christmas gift. I sent an email to bloomgroove where I purchased my hybrid which I received on December 1st. I told them about the situation and what are my options for returning my hybrid and they told me to contact storz and bickle!!!! They have a 30 day return policy, so I emailed them on that waiting for a response. I'm not sure what I am going to do with the hybrid until we get an official word from storz and bickle. This really sucks, how the heck is storz-bickel not saying anything publicly???? Its all over the internet!

there are three solutions

1) wait for a final solution provided via S & B in the coming weeks.(?) stop using the device till then.
2) sell it off via Ebay or another site and be done with it-other people might not be as concerned as me or you (or return it of you still are in a return window from a shop)
3) just continue using it like before

there is no official statement because they are surely researching what the issue is-which should have been done BEFORE releasing the Hybrid. they´ve dropped the ball big time and now we are seeing that those issues have a big effect when it comes to their reputation. (they surely know that something is up otherwise they wouldn´t have updated their guidelines on a x-mas day though.).

after all they want to make money and any statement regarding this will affect sales so they are keeping this tight lipped for now-which is understandable from a business perspective but not from a user perspective.

it is a big trust issue that they have on their hands, users were sure that S & B´s devices are flawless and tested.

as i said, i don´t even trust the TÜV seal, meaning: i just don´t understand how an official testing association could come to the conclusion that this chamber is rockstable in everyday use when heavy users are reporting about melting chambers. this is easily detectable: put a chamber on the device and let it run till the chamber melts...

also, i would have assumed that these chambers had extensive testing before releasing to the mass market.

Last edited:

Vapenayshyall

Took some macros of the metal faces.

https://imgur.com/gallery/XZuAwk4

pretty scratched up from when I first got it a month ago even though I am very careful about not over tightening it, I did notice a little raised bump aluminum and the little cut in the grey plastic when I first got it but I didn’t want to send it in and be without it. I’m going to see if I can send it in now.

Vapenayshyall,
Reactions: bm96

WakeVape&Bake

aluminium is a soft metal, scratches are normal with this material. questionable is the grey plastic directly over the hot airstream.

that is what i´ve said, even when this issue will be solved, it is questionable in general, plastic+aluminium are all over their devices. it comes down to the question if someone is fine using this stuff, i mean people were using the Plenty for how long now, 10 years? i think it was released 2008 and no one seems to have been bothered by it till now which is a bit funny in itself.

also, i have seen no single youtuber questioning the materials in the Hybrid, they were all focused on other things instead of asking if this is really good for a device that operates at high temperatures.

i have decided for myself that i don´t want aluminium and/or plastic in my vaporizers anymore, i would rather inhale very slight butane leftovers than plastic fumes or metal residue.

so, in the end it comes down to the question if someone is fine with using devices made of these materials or not.

edit: most people are also using aluminium grinders and i would suspect there is only a fraction of people using hemp oil on their grinders to ensure a smooth movement of the grinder.

the result is mostly that it will also scrape off very fine bits of aluminium over time, regardless how expensive the grinder was. aluminium is just not a great material for anything related to herbs. titan or medical grade stainless steel is much better.

Last edited:

stressed

I have been vaping via a bag with my Herbalizer and just bought my 2nd Mighty. I wasn't even looking for another vape until I saw what's his names video on problems. after looking into this updated Volcano, I kind of want to buy one.

I realize the problems as stated but i'm already old, can be very gentle with products and only vape at lowish temps . surprisingly, I get pretty stoned if I just vape around 340 to 350 f so I won't be melting anything. I also go through a bubbler most of the time.

I don't know what's come over me, but I really want one.

and I don't have a wife to wack me in the back of the head and say NO! :)

terrible idea?

several bowls and videos later, I am now the proud owner of the Classic Volcano. fewer things to go wrong. the funny thing is, I've been avoiding buying one of these 15 years or so. I didn't like vaping until I found the extreme Q and the bag was perfect for me.. then an herbalizer, good device but I never use the whip which is why I bought it over the volcano.

anyway, happy, merry, cannabis!

Last edited:

lokiki

there are three solutions

1) wait for a final solution provided via S & B in the coming weeks.(?) stop using the device till then.
2) sell it off via Ebay or another site and be done with it-other people might not be as concerned as me or you (or return it of you still are in a return window from a shop)
3) just continue using it like before

there is no official statement because they are surely researching what the issue is-which should have been done BEFORE releasing the Hybrid. they´ve dropped the ball big time and now we are seeing that those issues have a big effect when it comes to their reputation. (they surely know that something is up otherwise they wouldn´t have updated their guidelines on a x-mas day though.).

after all they want to make money and any statement regarding this will affect sales so they are keeping this tight lipped for now-which is understandable from a business perspective but not from a user perspective.

it is a big trust issue that they have on their hands, users were sure that S & B´s devices are flawless and tested.

as i said, i don´t even trust the TÜV seal, meaning: i just don´t understand how an official testing association could come to the conclusion that this chamber is rockstable in everyday use when heavy users are reporting about melting chambers. this is easily detectable: put a chamber on the device and let it run till the chamber melts...

also, i would have assumed that these chambers had extensive testing before releasing to the mass market.
Exactly, the TÜV approval baffles me the most, I was contemplating contacting them for a response, would it be of any use?

I think waiting for a short period of time on a statement by sb before going this road is the best. but I might be wrong.

lokiki

TÜV seems to have funds to be worthed a dispute if the device is not up to the medical standards they certify

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technischer_Überwachungsverein
I might contact them after a while.
they sell the hybrid as a medical device aswell ( Volcano Medic )
after all I can imagine not everyone owning one for medical reasons does frequent these forums and since health risks are possibly involved by their own revision of the manual.. it's might be serious.

snamuh

ghost
Piu just sent out an email about the issue.

-----

Greetings from the PuffItUp team!

A recent issue with the Volcano Hybrid has come to attention and we thought it was best to share this information as soon as possible with our customers.

The issue: The filling chamber of the volcano hybrid has an aluminum chamber which connects to an aluminum ring on top of the vaporizer. When these two parts rub together it creates a small amount of aluminum dust.

S&B has recently updated their cleaning instructions to address this issue. Here is what their new user manual states:

“Using a damp cloth, not dripping wet and soaked only in water, gently wipe the surface of the Heating element. This will remove leftover residue, dust or particles which could potentially enter the airstream. Clean The Heating element like this before every use

Here is a link to the new Hybrid user manual: https://bit.ly/2PWE9ux

We are still learning about this issue and what can be done to resolve it in a more permanent manner. This information will be posted on our blog soon along with any updates we receive from Storz and Bickel.

Product safety is an extremely important topic which is why we are starting this conversation now. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. Our team will be around to answer any questions as best as we can.

Vapenayshyall

It’s crazy S&B doesn’t update everyone who has purchased a hybrid about this. S&B only worried about PIU customers apparently. I really find how S&B is handling this gross, and for now I’ll stay from S&B products unless they go above and beyond to make this right. They charge a premium for their product and I expect better than how they are handling this.

Vapenayshyall,
Top Bottom