Vleaf Go: on-demand convection herb vaporizer!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Hot damn... @DDave at it again! That definitely fixes one of the only glaring issues with this vape/design, imo.

For the price point, I really don't think there's anything comparable. It's nice to be able to offer people who looking to get into dry herb vapes a decent <$100 vape that isn't a vapcap...

Nice job @Vivant for sure - and great mod as always @DDave !!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've had one of these to test for a couple weeks as well.

Here is my review/thoughts so far (written several days ago):

I must admit that I only had about a week to use and test this device before writing this, though I would normally prefer at least twice that much time to review a device, but here goes...

For starters, the retail packaging is very nice. It’s sturdy, protective, and detailed. I expect that I will continue to use the box for storing this device.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1356.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1354.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-134f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1355.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-135b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-134e.jpg

I like the instruction manual that was included in the box. It felt very thorough, and had plenty of images that really helped to understand everything. I also was happy to see the spare parts and accessories that were included. I really felt like everything I would need was in the box.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1353.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-134c.jpg

As far as the first impressions of the look of the vaporizer, It’s sleek and smooth matte finish is something I like. That matte finish doesn’t feel like it will show scratches much. However, I suspect that the plastic piece on the bottom will start to hold scratches quickly, or at least it feels that way to me.

I must admit that when I first pulled it out of the box, my first reaction was that it looked a lot like a small vibrator…not that I have a problem with that. I just found it amusing. That look disappears with the silicone mouthpiece cover on it though.

All jokes aside however, it’s a good looking little vaporizer. It feels like it had a lot of inspiration from both the Grasshopper and the Dynavap vaporizers. Dynavap of course, because of the little digger/packer that sticks down from one side of the cap. I actually like that feature.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-1357.jpg

The accessories provided in the box really gives you everything you will need for some time, including a spare vapor cooler, spare bowl, and replacement gasket(s) and o-rings.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-134d.jpg

I really like how the device can be disassembled for cleaning. A lot of small vaporizers in this category are fully sealed, except for the cap/mouthpiece, and you can’t clean underneath the chamber/bowl. So I love how all of the gaskets and the chamber itself are completely removable/cleanable/replaceable.You don’t see that feature enough in these smaller devices. My only worry there is that the two little nubs on both sides of the scoop assembly that snap into place when the scoop assembly is rotated into place will eventually wear down and possibly break off.

I also really love the scoop itself. I rather appreciated being able to use the vape itself to scoop material directly into the chamber without needing a separate spoon/scoop. That was a really good feature to have included!

One thing I did not care for about the cap design is the silicone air cooler inside the cap. I would often accidentally push it to one side or the other with the edge of the scoop when putting the cap on, and then I’d have to jam my fat finger in there to nudge it back into place before carefully putting the cap on without coming into contact with the bottom of the air cooler and pushing it to the side again, which also happened sometimes. So, a design change to the inside of the cap that better held the air cooler straight in place would be a welcome improvement.

I do like that the heater itself is removable/replaceable. I wonder if they will have multiple heater options in the future.

And lastly concerting the outer design of the device, I liked that the fire button is “clicky” in a nice mechanical feeling way, but I did not like how “wobbly” the button felt. It had a bit more play/movement/wiggle in that regard than I would normally prefer.

On to the vapor production itself. The heater in this device is great. I say that because I tend to prefer a little hotter vapor than many people do. I tend to use many of my vapes natively on their highest temperature settings all the time. But not this one. I was very happy with the medium temp setting, and could see myself doing more extended sessions on the low temp setting. The high temp setting was a bit much using the vape dry, but I could see myself finishing bowls through water at the highest setting occasionally when I wanted to pull hard and fast.

I would say that the vapor flavor is decent for a vape this size, and in the price bracket that that this device is being sold at. Though the flavor quality trails off quite a bit after the first two or three pulls. That’s not to say that the flavor is bad after the first couple of pulls, but it quickly mellows down after the first couple of pulls. However, the ABV that I pulled out of this thing was well-extracted, and evenly roasted . I was very happy with the efficiency of this unit. No stirring needed.

And of course, another thing I love about this unit is the incredibly fast heat-up time. It only feels like a couple seconds time between holding the button down and pulling vapor from this device. This aspect of the unit is very well done and appreciated. I feel that feature will be especially appreciated by those newly moving away from smoking to vaporizing. It will make the transition much easier for them.

Of course the elephant in the room is how the mouthpiece (and the upper body) of the device get very hot very quickly. The silicone mouthpiece cover shields ones lips from this, but the top half of the metal body itself easily gets quite warm. It would be a good improvement if anything could be done to lower the heat transfer to the metal part of the body.

The ability to utilize both a session mode, as well as an on-demand mode was also greatly appreciated. Although I normally prefer a session mode, and rarely used the session mode on this device. But it’s still nice to know it’s there.

I would like a removable/user-replaceable battery. I always prefer to be able to take multiple fully-charged batteries with me when I’m on the go, so I can just swap a depleted one out for a fresh one without having to wait for the depleted one to charge. But I also know that’s a difficult feature to implement in such a small device.

And finally, on to using this device with water. I absolutely love that this unit is designed to mate with a water tool right out of the box. That is a great feature! I also found myself using it with the silicone mouthpiece cover, as it makes a great seal with the glass as well. The on-demand, almost instant heat-up of this device makes it ideal for use with water-tools. I can see myself using it largely for that purpose in the future.

All in all, I think this is a very capable and convenient vaporizer that I would recommend especially to someone new to vaporizers, as it’s very easy to use, is efficient, and can churn out larger clouds if you want it to. I wish the vapor could be cooled a bit more though. In that light, maybe something like the zirconia spiral that is found in the mouthpiece of the Flowermate CAP might really help with cooling the vapor.

Well. That's it for now. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

OF

Gentle Friends,

A couple of random thoughts for your weekend amusement?

First off, I broke out my little bubbler.....Vicki is right once again. It does work really well that way. I used it 'single hit' style, on the green range I otherwise find just fine. Since it's a true convection machine, drawing harder and harder brings in hot air to cause more vapor and more vapor production. The vapor stays potent as it is in much slower draws. Some might be able to 'overrun' the heater, but I am not. Taste seemed to suffer a bit? Not like conduction vapes where the incoming air is too cold and much 'rob' heat from the load to reach 400F, lowering the production of vapor while increasing the volume of air to dilute. The vapor gets thinner and the slow heat transfer by conduction adds to the temperature drop, unlike with convection.

This also meant I had a shorter session, took fewer hits. The last several times current used has been a bit under 200mAh. A useful drop from 300 with a more casual approach. Significant batter savings seem easily possible.

The charge cable is first rate. The protected type with braided fabric? And solid, metal body, plug bodies. I doubt the maker spent much more over the cheap junk that seems to come with others, but it shows a lot of what they think of the product I think.

The upper screen and it's retainer staying stuck over the bowl bothered me a few times too, until I took a careful look at why. It's not getting stuck on the oven (there's no 'goo' in the area), but rather wedged in from the outside taper in the scoop part. If you be sure there's no herb or other debris above the metal of the oven (on the tapered sides of the scoop) there's nothing to get wedged in with? Since doing this (the side of the cap works great for this), I've not had it stick and separate from the cap. Keep all herb below the top of the metal oven and you'll be Jake. Or 'Bob's your uncle' if you're a Brit.

One last thought, this thing is really fast into action. Compared to T1 and Cera from TV, or the flame powered convection vapes from VG, or the ESV, it's very fast. Not only is the heater powerful and fast, but the mass to be heated is kept very small (basically the metal part of the furnace) means the herb gets the 'lion's share' of the heat and therefore rapidly heats to magic temperature. Instead of dozens (or more) seconds of slow heat up, you've going in a couple of seconds. About as 'on demand' as you can rightly expect of any vape?

Regards to all.

OF

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Gentle Friends,

A couple of random thoughts for your weekend amusement?

First off, I broke out my little bubbler.....Vicki is right once again. It does work really well that way. I used it 'single hit' style, on the green range I otherwise find just fine. Since it's a true convection machine, drawing harder and harder brings in hot air to cause more vapor and more vapor production. The vapor stays potent as it is in much slower draws. Some might be able to 'overrun' the heater, but I am not. Taste seemed to suffer a bit? Not like conduction vapes where the incoming air is too cold and much 'rob' heat from the load to reach 400F, lowering the production of vapor while increasing the volume of air to dilute. The vapor gets thinner and the slow heat transfer by conduction adds to the temperature drop, unlike with convection.

This also meant I had a shorter session, took fewer hits. The last several times current used has been a bit under 200mAh. A useful drop from 300 with a more casual approach. Significant batter savings seem easily possible.

The charge cable is first rate. The protected type with braided fabric? And solid, metal body, plug bodies. I doubt the maker spent much more over the cheap junk that seems to come with others, but it shows a lot of what they think of the product I think.

The upper screen and it's retainer staying stuck over the bowl bothered me a few times too, until I took a careful look at why. It's not getting stuck on the oven (there's no 'goo' in the area), but rather wedged in from the outside taper in the scoop part. If you be sure there's no herb or other debris above the metal of the oven (on the tapered sides of the scoop) there's nothing to get wedged in with? Since doing this (the side of the cap works great for this), I've not had it stick and separate from the cap. Keep all herb below the top of the metal oven and you'll be Jake. Or 'Bob's your uncle' if you're a Brit.

One last thought, this thing is really fast into action. Compared to T1 and Cera from TV, or the flame powered convection vapes from VG, or the ESV, it's very fast. Not only is the heater powerful and fast, but the mass to be heated is kept very small (basically the metal part of the furnace) means the herb gets the 'lion's share' of the heat and therefore rapidly heats to magic temperature. Instead of dozens (or more) seconds of slow heat up, you've going in a couple of seconds. About as 'on demand' as you can rightly expect of any vape?

Regards to all.

OF

Using it with my bubbler is my preferred way to use it right now.

Your post is spot on.

sd401k

Inner and outer diameters are what they are referring to I would imagine. Actually the oven would have 3 measurements, inside diameter, outside diameter, and oven depth. Outside diameter minus inside diameter divided by 2 would give you oven wall thickness.

OF

This little guy seems very interesting, and at this price point, easy to take the plunge, especially at the recommendation of some respected members. Just ordered.

Good call, IMO. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed. Not ideal for everyone, of course, in fact probably a poor 'only vape' choice for almost everyone? But I think it has something useful to offer to 'everyone', and as you say it's a small sum to risk......

Regards to all.

OF

Bazinga

I wonder how this device compares to my Healthy Rips Edge. I realize they are 2 totally different vapes i.e. (on demand vs session, glass vs plastic mouthpiece, etc.). I'm inquiring about performance differences.

Bazinga,
Reactions: dimmusp

Vivant Customer Service

#Vivant Manufacturer Rep
Company Rep
This little guy seems very interesting, and at this price point, easy to take the plunge, especially at the recommendation of some respected members. Just ordered.
Thanks for your support. You will enjoy it! And if you have any question about the vleafgo, tell us here or our IG:@vivantvape.

Vivant Customer Service,

Vivant Customer Service

#Vivant Manufacturer Rep
Company Rep
3. The temp LEDs are…well, kind of muddy colored. The yellow looks a lot reddish, the red is kind of dim, they are not nearly as good of colors as the batt indicator Green or Red for example. Small stuff but it’s a nit picking list.
Hi sir, you might enter into the stealth mode. If you want to see the bright LED light, just need to hold the fire button for 10 seconds until you see a luminous yellow light flashes when the device is off.
Thank you for your support and many useful suggestions.

Vivant Customer Service,
Reactions: Ramahs

Baron23

Hi sir, you might enter into the stealth mode. If you want to see the bright LED light, just need to hold the fire button for 10 seconds until you see a luminous yellow light flashes when the device is off.
Thank you for your support and many useful suggestions.
Ah, don't know.....I will check that out. Thanks!!

OF

Since I'm part of the 3/4 citizens under 'shelter in place' orders, I've extra time to fiddle with the Go. 3/4 of the citizens? Well over half the states. That's amazing somehow. As is Go, even if at a lesser level......

I've been using it with a small WT as I've said. I noticed that the edge of the glass has scarred the MP in a 'sloppy ring' mark. It's cosmetic, of course, hardly a big deal on such a low cost vape, but it does point to it not being a perfect match with the glass. Sure enough, sealing the Go input vents and hitting on it 'cold' shows an air leak that varies. Since my bubbler is male, I'm using a F/F adapter anyway, so I shoved a short piece of Silicone tubing over the outside of the fitting and now it seals on the rubber instead. No more leaks or marks. It would probably work fine over the male end on the bubbler if it was the right size. This piece was handy and keeps the GonG fitting on the bubbler easy to switch back to it's usual duty You might consider it?

Secondly, this heavy flow rate use has reminded me of an important lesson we learned back in the early days of Cera (a similar 'all ceramic' vape). While sipping usually gets pretty even distribution of heat, uniform browning and no need to stir not so heavy use. Especially if the load is even moderately packed (probably not a good idea, but it happens...). As the herb dries out early in the session it shrinks back. This means less restriction and more air flow. Which means more heat? This means a lower and lower percentage of the flow goes through the rest of the load as this 'flue' opens up and the hot stuff roars through further cooking the walls...... In such a narrow bowl this means a darker spot in the center? Cera, which was much wider, could get them 'almost anywhere' depending on the pack.

This leads to the counter intuitive 'secret', that heavily hit loads should be stirred. Even if they're only hit a few times. Otherwise the uniform use goes away, and part of the load is making the vapor taste like trash while some of it is still fairly fresh and would give a much more satisfying hit if you'd only stir it.

Another fun bit I noticed while cleaning the heater body. The heater is a 'long' (maybe inch and a half?) strip of SS with holes punched in it. It's 'wound' back and forth accordion style maybe 6 or so times down the length of the heater, making a series of folds the air must fight it's way around to get to the load. The observation is the strip nearest the input hole is basically 'normal color' as each fold gets darker than the one before, an obvious sign that they are getting hotter and hotter from back to front. Which makes sense when you consider the first has cold air from the outside blowing on it but each one after is a few hundred degrees hotter because the air hitting it has already been heated up. The final part you can see incandescent through the bottom of the bowl, I'd guess it's something close to 1300F? FWIW it does seem to be Zirconia in the body. Real whizz bang ceramic, not your run of the mill river bank (kaolin) typically used. Much denser (not being based on Aluminum), better insulator, stronger and of course more expensive and hard to work. Just the thing for making knife blades, of course.

Regards to all.

OF

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have received one of these as well. Took a bit more time with it, letting it air out from new before use, I did a few burn offs, cleaned everything and soaked silicone with iso, and did a few more burn offs. Thanks for the help disassembling, it really is fantastic how it can all be taken apart and cleaned. After this I felt like it tasted pure enough to finally use with herbs!

I did several on demand bowls of Maui, temp stepping a bit, mostly rode green but did some yellow as well as a little bit of red. With back-to-back bowls and hits, the mouthpiece can get hot on the lips during a hit, but the body stays cool (and if you put your lips lower on the mp it is better since the hot vapor is hitting the tip). Pretty impressive efficiency here, love how small the bowl is and how fast you can get thick vapor. Super portable and stealthy, not that I am able to test that in the real world yet of course!

Had a bowl of strawberry lemonade earlier that really allowed some nice taste to shine through with four or five hits on green. I'm not sure I will use the other temp settings much, I prefer the smoother vapor and better flavor of level green, and see plenty of cloudage with nice extraction.

I agree with others that the mouthpiece could be improved with magnets instead of o-rings, and though I am okay with the plastic used here its use is not exactly ideal for me personally (mine did not seem to seal in glass natively either). A bit more cooling in the mouthpiece would be nice, along with less silicone for a purer taste, but I wouldn't want to ask too much of this since it is such a budget buy... Future accessories?

For the performance at this price, the VleafGo really may be hard to beat... Sure it is far from perfect, but for an entry level vape to use efficient pure convection (instant on demand, but also micro-sessioned) in this form factor... All I can say for now is wow? More to come

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have received one of these as well. Took a bit more time with it, letting it air out from new before use, I did a few burn offs, cleaned everything and soaked silicone with iso, and did a few more burn offs. Thanks for the help disassembling, it really is fantastic how it can all be taken apart and cleaned. After this I felt like it tasted pure enough to finally use with herbs!

I did several on demand bowls of Maui, temp stepping a bit, mostly rode green but did some yellow as well as a little bit of red. With back-to-back bowls and hits, the mouthpiece can get hot on the lips during a hit, but the body stays cool (and if you put your lips lower on the mp it is better since the hot vapor is hitting the tip). Pretty impressive efficiency here, love how small the bowl is and how fast you can get thick vapor. Super portable and stealthy, not that I am able to test that in the real world yet of course!

Had a bowl of strawberry lemonade earlier that really allowed some nice taste to shine through with four or five hits on green. I'm not sure I will use the other temp settings much, I prefer the smoother vapor and better flavor of level green, and see plenty of cloudage with nice extraction.

I agree with others that the mouthpiece could be improved with magnets instead of o-rings, and though I am okay with the plastic used here its use is not exactly ideal for me personally (mine did not seem to seal in glass natively either). A bit more cooling in the mouthpiece would be nice, along with less silicone for a purer taste, but I wouldn't want to ask too much of this since it is such a budget buy... Future accessories?

For the performance at this price, the VleafGo really may be hard to beat... Sure it is far from perfect, but for an entry level vape to use efficient pure convection (instant on demand, but also micro-sessioned) in this form factor... All I can say for now is wow? More to come

This is definitely a great “on demand” vaporizer, and especially great for micro dosing!

OF

This is definitely a great “on demand” vaporizer, and especially great for micro dosing!

Agreed. More over it handily beats vapes promoted for those two features. Being true convection it's easily able to deal with loads as tiny as you wish (since it doesn't depend on conduction/packing) and with the powerful heater and tiny thermal mass of such small loads and the lightweight oven body, heat up is extremely fast. One might say it 'sets the standard' for what on demand and micro dosing should be?

Yes, battery life is lower than we'd like, but it's adequate and a trade off for small size, light weight, and low cost. It only fits some jobs we want of a vape, but it does those very well?

OF

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Agreed. More over it handily beats vapes promoted for those two features. Being true convection it's easily able to deal with loads as tiny as you wish (since it doesn't depend on conduction/packing) and with the powerful heater and tiny thermal mass of such small loads and the lightweight oven body, heat up is extremely fast. One might say it 'sets the standard' for what on demand and micro dosing should be?

Yes, battery life is lower than we'd like, but it's adequate and a trade off for small size, light weight, and low cost. It only fits some jobs we want of a vape, but it does those very well?

OF

Agreed. That’s why I still use my Ambit, and this.

Baron23

I have one on the way.
I trust @OF and @Vicki and @Baron23 and @Shit Snacks (and probably others I forgot) opinions so clickedy-click I went (that is me clicking on the “buy” button).
I 100% do not need it, but with such good reviews, under $60 shipped and waaaaay too much time on my hands, why not?

Should receive this weekend.
Thanks fellow enablers!
Hi Jill - as I said, I had modest expectations but they were exceeded. It is a, with code, a $56 vape. Its nice for what it is, I think you will agree with us that it was worth the money and are glad to have it, but its not going to realign the stars in your vape heaven.

Look foward to hearing how you like it.

In the meantime, stay in and stay safe, please.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I am about to jump in as well, even though I am skeptical I will choose using this over my Ambit.
I have one on the way.
I trust @OF and @Vicki and @Baron23 and @Shit Snacks (and probably others I forgot) opinions so clickedy-click I went (that is me clicking on the “buy” button).
I 100% do not need it, but with such good reviews, under $60 shipped and waaaaay too much time on my hands, why not?

Should receive this weekend.
Thanks fellow enablers!
LOL, I am about to jump in as well for the same reasons, though I am still skeptical of when I would choose this over ambit when looking for a quick blast to the face.

For those that have both, in which scenarios do you choose one over the other?

One thing I love about the ambit, is I ALWAYS have 120 seconds!

OF

I have one on the way.

Excellent, I'm sure you won't regret it. Just because you don't 'need' it, doesn't mean you won't like it and end up using it...... For instance I just did a little experiment. I loaded it up and took it out into the garden to do a little supervision. The bird feeders were not honoring Social Distancing, nor did the birds seem interested in the concept. Otherwise Spring is starting, you can notice the new growth day to day.

Go fit in very well in that role, which should come as no surprise, really.

And if it should strangely turn out that you don't like it, remember it was @Vicki that's got this all started. I say it's her fault. Should we vote on it?

OF

Top Bottom