Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

A small amount of the "new" top pieces arrive Monday hopefully. Contact us if you need a replacement. We have a fair amount of people in queue and I really do apologize for the wait, there should of been a quicker resolution. We are close to a 20+% reported failure rate for the new top piece already, safe to say that number will raise with time which isn't good. If your Alternate was purchased from us and you would prefer to return the vape, just let us know and we will gladly buy it back. If you prefer to keep your Alternate, I'm more than happy to send you an infinite amount of replacement top pieces.

This is why I will always shop through PIU. That is some damn fine customer service right there. I've had my replacement CU form PIU for several weeks now. Working great so far.

little maggie

I know that there have been a lot of problems with melting. I've fortunately not had that but that may be due to low usage. I see the grasshopper often mentioned as the perfect vape even though there have been quite a few problems with it. Just saying.

slang

Well, my Alternate is now dying...after many failed topcap replacements my Alternate now is experiencing runaway temperatures. I will set my temp for 380, the temp increases normally until it reaches around 360 or so, then the temp display starts alternating between the ready symbol and random numbers, then all of a sudden temperatures are at 480+. Talk about blowing clouds... wow, the clouds are like smoking... then it trips and shuts off. I can restart a new session immediately and repeat...same over and over.

The clouds are great but I'm afraid to put the unit near my face...don't think it will explode, will it?

slang,
Reactions: OyVape

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Well, my Alternate is now dying...after many failed topcap replacements my Alternate now is experiencing runaway temperatures. I will set my temp for 380, the temp increases normally until it reaches around 360 or so, then the temp display starts alternating between the ready symbol and random numbers, then all of a sudden temperatures are at 480+. Talk about blowing clouds... wow, the clouds are like smoking... then it trips and shuts off. I can restart a new session immediately and repeat...same over and over.

The clouds are great but I'm afraid to put the unit near my face...don't think it will explode, will it?

Dude you have more Alternate problems than the rest of us combined.

No way I would put a vape with runaway temperature issues near my face. MAYBE if we think the display is just showing random numbers it's less concerning. But if the display is reading accurately and the chamber is at 484 you got a problem and I'd throw that thing away. Outside, of course.

StonerSloth,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

Vivant

Manufacturer

Hey @slang, I spoke with one of our engineers, and it sounds like your board may have shorted. I will contact you immediately about a warranty return and repair/replacement.

I would like to note that under normal conditions, a short will not result in any kind of explosion. If anything, your board my burn out, but it will even then prevent any energy, excessive or otherwise, from trading between the battery and the device. This is a purposefully designed safety feature to prevent any battery incidents. If you are still concerned, you may remove the battery from the device until you receive the replacement.

Thank you all for your concern. We know that batteries like these are not to be taken lightly, but in this case there is no reason to worry. :)

Gwen

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
Well, it looks like I have some cracks on my V2 cu. I'll research this tomorrow when I'm not as high and with better light.

Damn

HighMtnSkier,

Razshiro

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
Well, it looks like I have some cracks on my V2 cu. I'll research this tomorrow when I'm not as high and with better light.

Damn
Yup, cracked in two places. Guess I'll have to mod my crafty after all.

The firmware update temp change feature is great. Kudos!

HighMtnSkier,

slang

Hey @slang, I spoke with one of our engineers, and it sounds like your board may have shorted. I will contact you immediately about a warranty return and repair/replacement.

I would like to note that under normal conditions, a short will not result in any kind of explosion. If anything, your board my burn out, but it will even then prevent any energy, excessive or otherwise, from trading between the battery and the device. This is a purposefully designed safety feature to prevent any battery incidents. If you are still concerned, you may remove the battery from the device until you receive the replacement.

Thank you all for your concern. We know that batteries like these are not to be taken lightly, but in this case there is no reason to worry. :)

Gwen
I updated the firmware today to v1.03. So far it seems to have helped with the runaway temperature problem I was having?? The runaway problem was repeatable before the firmware update. I have currently ran 6 full 300 second sessions without any problems. Maybe it was software?

@Vivant Is the small hole below the LED display a reset button? or is this a hole for the speaker/beeper?

slang,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Got my Alternate today! Not ready for a review yet but I can say I'm impressed by clouds production, evenly vaped abv, efficiency and stone power but I'm less impressed by taste (slight factory taste but unit was pretty unusued...), heating time, sounds/bip and overall building quality.

I bet it's possible to remove this annoying bips, any tips please? ( yes I know , I can read the thread and find the info by myself but I'm pretty bad to use the search button...).

24mn/battery.... is it the norm?

PPN,
Reactions: Vivant

mash

Got my Alternate today! Not ready for a review yet but I can say I'm impressed by clouds production, evenly vaped abv, efficiency and stone power but I'm less impressed by taste (slight factory taste but unit was pretty unusued...), heating time, sounds/bip and overall building quality.

I bet it's possible to remove this annoying bips, any tips please? ( yes I know , I can read the thread and find the info by myself but I'm pretty bad to use the search button...).

24mn/battery.... is it the norm?

From Vivant earlier in this thread

Hello @little maggie , I had posted the quick guide that explains the simple instructions of what button combination means what a few pages ago on this thread but here it is for your convenience:

While screen is blacked out, press any button once to wake up the display screen.

Press “power” button 5 times to turn device OFF completely.

While device is OFF, simultaneously hold “+” and “power” button for 10-12 seconds to enter Buzzer Volume Mode. This is where you can adjust the volume of the buzzer.

While device is OFF, simultaneously hold “+” and “-“ button for 2-4 seconds to flip the display screen for either right or left handed preference.

While device is OFF, press “power” button 5 times to turn device ON.

While device is ON, simultaneously hold “+” and “power” button for 2-4 seconds to enter Timer Setting Mode. This is where you can adjust your safety timer preference.

While device is ON, simultaneously hold “-“ and “power” button for 2-4 seconds to enter Stealth Mode.

While device is ON, simultaneously hold “+” and “-“ button to LOCK screen on device.

When temperature preference is set on display screen, hold onto “power” button until it beeps and LED turns green to start the heat up process.

Device will beep 3 times when it is ready to be vaped.

During a session while the LED is green, hold onto the “power” button to end the session before timer ends. This will automatically end the current session and bring the temperature back down.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I will be more than happy to address them for you. Thank you!!

MonkeyTime

Sorta caught up on this thread. Read the first 5 pages and was ready to order. Skipped forward to page 50 just to make sure nothing popped up after some usage and find all the cap issues. So I've now read all but maybe 15 pages in the middle......

I guess I'm more torn over some of the recent reviews than I am the cracking CU's. I have at least one Crafty CU that hasn't been muzz'd lol.

Early reviews seemed to have the flavor as a high point, deeper into the thread it seems it's mentioned less and sometimes as a detraction? Is there still a large population in the good flavor camp?

MonkeyTime,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

slang

I updated the firmware today to v1.03. So far it seems to have helped with the runaway temperature problem I was having?? The runaway problem was repeatable before the firmware update. I have currently ran 6 full 300 second sessions without any problems. Maybe it was software?
***Update***

I guess I spoke to soon. I used the Alternate today with a fully charged
battery (original Sony). I was mid-session where I step-increased the
temperature from 380 to 392 to 410. The bowl was nearly expended
(tasteless), then all of a sudden there was massive smoke,stink and thick
sour taste. I accidentally inhaled the first draw.

I looked at the temp display and it was at 428, but set at 410. I
immediately pulled the battery because I thought it was on fire... Smoke
was rolling out the mouthpiece like a chimney. In the bowl, the AVB
material was very dark black and smoking, so it must have ignited?

The unit looked normal, so I put the battery back in, it displayed 66
percent. I restarted a new session at 410, and it climbed right past 428
so I turned it off. Yep, it's broke.

Modnote: Reply removed from quote

Last edited by a moderator:
slang,

Vivant

Manufacturer
Just noticed the new firmware 1.03:
Firmware V1.03
Adds a function of allowing the user to change your desired temperature during sessions and optimizes power consumption during sleep mode.

Nice update Vivant, !!
Hey @Razshiro, thank you! We always keep an ear out for feedback, both here and on similar forums elsewhere.

@Vivant Is the small hole below the LED display a reset button? or is this a hole for the speaker/beeper?
Hey @slang, thank you for replying to my email. We will be happy to warranty your device.
You're right, the small hole on the bottom of the device is for the speaker. It is not a reset button and wasn't intended for user contact.

Have a nice day everyone!! :)
Gwen

Early reviews seemed to have the flavor as a high point, deeper into the thread it seems it's mentioned less and sometimes as a detraction? Is there still a large population in the good flavor camp?

With tasty flowers, I've found the Alternate's vapor flavor to be very good. It's not as long lasting as I would like but that's my typical experience with vapes and I have a volcano.

squigger

When I turn on the heat on my vape the screen turns off. It didn't do this before and I don't know the button combination to keep the screen up while the heater is on.

squigger,
Reactions: mash
Top Bottom