Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

HengefulOne

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I am on holiday at the moment. Already got my crafty CU. My alternate is at my local postoffice and will collect when i return.

Surely sandpaper would do for a one off mod? Less likley to take off to much as well. You cant put it back.....

For those of u with a craftynate is there an increase in performance as well as durability?

Last edited:

little maggie

Just a comment: I really like my vivante and have had no problems with it. But I don't see how this vape and company can survive long term. Even though I prefer this vape, the boundless CF is similar and is about the same price, has a 3 year warranty and will replace units with problems.

beefsupreme

Today when I wanted to turn the Alternate on it was DEAD. Easiest question is battery. Removed the battery and it registered 1.64 on my charger. Hopefully a slow trickle may save the battery.

I was one of the ones having that phantom-drain problem a few weeks ago, and I seem to have solved it for now by pulling the battery out of the Alternate and leaving it out overnight. When i popped it back in, it stopped draining randomly. For about two weeks it hasnt drained on its own again. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I also haven't cracked either of my 4/20 mouthpieces yet. I tend to stick to 3-minute sessions at about 375 though. One thing I do that may help is as soon as i'm done the session, I remove the mouthpiece from the top and set it aside to cool down (it's already quite hot after 3 minutes..) That way the CU is not sitting on top of the heater soaking up more heat over time.

HengefulOne

I was one of the ones having that phantom-drain problem a few weeks ago, and I seem to have solved it for now by pulling the battery out of the Alternate and leaving it out overnight. When i popped it back in, it stopped draining randomly. For about two weeks it hasnt drained on its own again. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I also haven't cracked either of my 4/20 mouthpieces yet. I tend to stick to 3-minute sessions at about 375 though. One thing I do that may help is as soon as i'm done the session, I remove the mouthpiece from the top and set it aside to cool down (it's already quite hot after 3 minutes..) That way the CU is not sitting on top of the heater soaking up more heat over time.
Ive never had the issue with my stock cap either, but boy oh boy is the crafty mod an improvement.

little maggie

I'm thinking of giving mine to someone but I'm concerned about melting if they use it longer in a session than I do. Most of you who've added the crafty mod have been sanding or doing something to modify the alternate. Is it at all possible to use it without doing something to the alternate itself?

little maggie,
Reactions: Alegre

HengefulOne

I'm thinking of giving mine to someone but I'm concerned about melting if they use it longer in a session than I do. Most of you who've added the crafty mod have been sanding or doing something to modify the alternate. Is it at all possible to use it without doing something to the alternate itself?
no mod to the alternate unit needed at all , just the crafty cu.

HengefulOne,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

mash

I love this unit.... especially with the crafty CU.

sure there are things to improve.... make the body stronger and maybe insulate better.... it does get a bit warm.

Also the buttons... they feel cheap and turning the unit on and off with five clicks is sometimes flakey.

But these are minor things....IMHO.... the Alternate is a beast overall.... I love how it hits... taste and the remains from the bowl are always evenly toasted.

I have mine set to 4 mins at about 387 degrees.....I take a few more hits when done and then I take off the CU to clean it out and let it cool.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Got my Alternate from DHgate. I can confirn it came with a new style cooling unit.

I loaded her up for a trial run. Horrible plastic taste from the unit. I did a couple of 1 min burn offs and the taste was still there. Will try some longer burnoffs once the firmware is updated. Battery also very hot.

So far not impressed - hope i can get rid of the taste otherwise i would say the unit is not useable. Smells like its coming from the main body of the unit.

oddjobold,
Reactions: j9ett

little maggie

Got my Alternate from DHgate. I can confirn it came with a new style cooling unit.

I loaded her up for a trial run. Horrible plastic taste from the unit. I did a couple of 1 min burn offs and the taste was still there. Will try some longer burnoffs once the firmware is updated. Battery also very hot.

So far not impressed - hope i can get rid of the taste otherwise i would say the unit is not useable. Smells like its coming from the main body of the unit.
Not sure what the new cooling unit is. Is that different from the top of the unit that has had melting problems? Anyway, some of us, me included, hava had no problems with either melting or smell. I wonder if the ones with the strong plastic smell are somehow defective.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have never had a smell or issue with the original top.
I received the new top, but have only tried it once.... it also worked well.
I am using the original and saving the newer top in event of an "incident"

Vitolo

Vaporist
Yes. Now some people are reporting cracking issues with the new tops (cooling units).
Only proper to remember that while "some people" are reporting cracking that many, many hundreds of users are not. Judging from the reports of sales presented earlier in this thread, when compared to the % of complaints... a few people are reporting cracking.
We are up to a dozen local patients using the Vivant , and using it HARD, with no issue.
All but 2 of these received their units new with the new mouthpiece.....
and while all others including myself have a new CU/mouthpiece, most continued to use original CU to extend the time prior to initialization of the new top.

Gimpy27

I finally received my Alternate and Crafty CU the other day. Upon unpacking everything I noticed my Alternate had a small chip out of the top and light scratches on the side. I was going to return it but due to my upcoming trip and length of time until I leave I need this one. Maybe puffitup or vivant would be nice and give me a partial refund. I charged the battery and updated the firmware immediately both of which went great. I then began working on the Crafty CU. After several hours of working on it with a dremel I began to get flustered and almost said fuck it. The next day I eventually decided to sand the outside ring down to match the Alternates height from the bottom of the ring to the tabs and after doing that the Crafty CU fit perfect and flat without tilting. I'm waiting until I arrive at my destination before I try it with herb but everything else seems to work great. I plan to pull it out today to check the battery level but I ordered some LG HG2's and a charger to take with me for backup batteries. All in all I'm happy with it except for the chip and scratches right out of the gate. I would have preferred to buy one from dhgate, which I still might do if this one turns out ok but for a little over $100 it's pretty good. I did do the vape critic's 5/8 screen mod on the cu and it worked out perfect and I tried an arizer bucket screen but the lip is too thick for the cu to screw down. I'm positive the bucket screens from Delta 3D Studios will work perfect and plan to buy a few asap.

https://delta3dstudios.com/hd-basket-screen-bp465-5-pack/

I would include photos of my sanded top cap but it's hideous and I'm ashamed lol. Due to me being a quadriplegic my hand dexterity is horrible and I ended up getting a little crazy with the dremel. My sanding job on the tabs ended up terrible looking to say the least lol but at least it works great. Maybe I'll buy another cu and try again in a few weeks. Anyway, thanks for all the help and I'll try to keep up with the thread. Also, if anyone has any tips on keeping this and trying to get a partial refund due to the chip and scratches I would appreciate some input. Thanks!

OyVape

I had a smelly one like that and Vivant suggested leaving it out in the air with the top off for a few days to air out. That actually worked much better than doing empty burn offs. The smell was almost gone and after 1 or 2 loads, it was fine.

I had a smelly one like that and Vivant suggested leaving it out in the air with the top off for a few days to air out. That actually worked much better than doing empty burn offs. The smell was almost gone and after 1 or 2 loads, it was fine.

I can confirm the same was true for my unit. It needs a few days to air out.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Several 4 minute burn offs at full temp have not helped one bit with the plastic taste. Gonna give the "air out" method a go, although i am not hopefull. It really is a very strong taste!

In the mean time modded my crafty CU. Not as easy as i thought and i dont have much of a lip to hold the screen but its working.

oddjobold,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

PuffItUp

Retailer
since my last question went unanswered, @Vivant what should i do with my new redesigned mouthpiece that has cracked?

do i keep contacting puffitup and having them send replacements? do i contact you guys. do i toss it in the trash?

A small amount of the "new" top pieces arrive Monday hopefully. Contact us if you need a replacement. We have a fair amount of people in queue and I really do apologize for the wait, there should of been a quicker resolution. We are close to a 20+% reported failure rate for the new top piece already, safe to say that number will raise with time which isn't good. If your Alternate was purchased from us and you would prefer to return the vape, just let us know and we will gladly buy it back. If you prefer to keep your Alternate, I'm more than happy to send you an infinite amount of replacement top pieces.

BuddingMagic

A small amount of the "new" top pieces arrive Monday hopefully. Contact us if you need a replacement. We have a fair amount of people in queue and I really do apologize for the wait, there should of been a quicker resolution. We are close to a 20+% reported failure rate for the new top piece already, safe to say that number will raise with time which isn't good. If your Alternate was purchased from us and you would prefer to return the vape, just let us know and we will gladly buy it back. If you prefer to keep your Alternate, I'm more than happy to send you an infinite amount of replacement top pieces.

Now THAT is customer service.

xlr8shun

wow 20%... thats.. disheartening.

i commend you puffitup, but we all know what is going to happen here, you send me another cap, it fails and i keep using your time and resources to fix someone elses mistake. i also commend you on taking back used units for a refund. while i'd love my money back, i dont feel its fair to you as a company for me to do that. but huge kudos to you sir, for stepping up like that. its not all that common in the world we live in today.

Top Bottom