Venty by Storz & Bickel

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I haven't taken the plunge on a Venty, but have followed with great interest.

While I think the diagnosis thru an app is great, I wonder, did S&B contact owners about The Bricking prior to the bricking of their device?
Or did a lot of folks with a unit that was working simply get shut down?

I do not like the apparent lack of disposal instruction. They should be asking for all the units back, this is e-waste.
My town, for one, has no place I can dispose of or recycle l-ion batteries, for example.

We lament the folks who purchased Venty, but S&B have a much greater number to deal with-- all the Venty's that had been built, boxed, waiting for a big surge in sales -- all gone bad?

Or am I mistaken, will there be units (in owners hands) who pass the testing and go on to be in service?

MoltenTiger

While I think the diagnosis thru an app is great, I wonder, did S&B contact owners about The Bricking prior to the bricking of their device?
The bricking comes from a firmware upgrade, which is only possible to do if you follow the steps given with communication clarifying the sorry affair. So it is not something that is pushed over the air, the device needs to be set up specifically to process the firmware update

will there be units (in owners hands) who pass the testing and go on to be in service?
It sounds like the first run of “thousands” have all been scrapped

The supply chain might have some interesting stories if there are pallets worth shuffling around. All it took was one tiny thing to go out of shape with the device now in the users hands, and it’s just unlucky it’s so serious they will take down the whole production run. Which is the way to do it if you can afford to... it’s not easy to do quickly, the rate they are alluding to will be very impressive to hit, I think it’s an almost too ambitious timeline.

It sounds like they’ve isolated the problem and have sorted out a component reel on the pick and placer, or fixed some other more complex manufacturing error.
Once fixed, they can ramp up production and reissue a replacement batch to test. It will probably be an initial smaller run and then once they are comfortable they can continue to supply demand, which ultimately this isn’t going to impact.

Last edited:

simba

@weedanwine
I do not like the apparent lack of disposal instruction. They should be asking for all the units back, this is e-waste.

In this situation if they're worried about the battery safety then I guess it was the right decision. Otherwise units coming from around the world, potentially in planes, could've been an issue, so I can understand this move.

The lack of proper electrical product disposal in your local area is a separate issue I guess.

MDHI

has s&b contacted anyone that has bricked their device with details of shipping for their new device? were any new devices shipped yesterday?

redspawn

has s&b contacted anyone that has bricked their device with details of shipping for their new device? were any new devices shipped yesterday?
Not yet, but maybe tomorrow (i hope that, cause the 30$/€ discount from their eMail starts tomorrow too)…

redspawn,

Aryeah

Vape Man
I haven't heard either about shipping the new ones yet. I do know that the 30$ discount worked for one customer on Monday, even though it said it would start 11/15.

Aryeah,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
In this situation if they're worried about the battery safety then I guess it was the right decision. Otherwise units coming from around the world, potentially in planes, could've been an issue, so I can understand this move.

The lack of proper electrical product disposal in your local area is a separate issue I guess.
I was under the mistaken impression that there was no communication directly about the disabling of the device, I thought it had been a surprise move.

You make a good point about safety, if there indeed was a chance of battery venting.

I do have pretty good waste disposal and recycling in my area, but particularly batteries are not a simple process. My best chance is 2x a year, about 5 miles from me.
Just last week I brought them 8 batteries, 3 air conditioners (freon still in them) and about 10 gallons of old paint in cans. I love that place!
shipping a dead device around the globe would be much more wastefull... where do you dispose your other electrical devices?
See above.
I agree about the wasteful shipping.
Also think disposing of the entire device for one bad part is wasteful, but that's the economics.
All the car recalls, they don't tell you to take your car to the crusher!

cptofnthng

I haven't heard either about shipping the new ones yet. I do know that the 30$ discount worked for one customer on Monday, even though it said it would start 11/15.
Unless they fixed it, i dont see how even first buyers will get new devices yet. I ordered
November 2nd and havent heard anything since.

cptofnthng,
Reactions: cosimo

stressed

just got a 2nd notice from storz saying to not use the venty. to jump through a few hoops so they know it no longer works and they will send a new one soon. i'm going to ask them to send me a mighty plus instead. i used it for a couple of weeks and am not impressed with the unit. not even close.

WirtDog

just got a 2nd notice from storz saying to not use the venty. to jump through a few hoops so they know it no longer works and they will send a new one soon. i'm going to ask them to send me a mighty plus instead. i used it for a couple of weeks and am not impressed with the unit. not even close.
Am I wrong in thinking S&B is in the process of trying to disable/replace all Venty's sold whether they were malfunctioning or not?

DadaBoo

B2, Mighty+, M/Omni, Volcano Hybrid, TM2, Anvil
I heard from an S&B rep the issues is with the heating chamber. It can turn into a mini black hole. Glad I bricked mine.
I heard something similar from my mates, girlfriends, brother's uncle, who knows one of the cleaners at S&B. Except he described it as a mini portal, which teleports vapour to your lungs.

Unfortunately, in some units, it's teleporting the vapour behind your eye balls instead. You get no effect from your herb, but you do end up with some awesome red eye....so it's not all bad.

JoeMama

I've assumed that their first "fix" email was sent to everyone, and their little utility took a look inside and found a reason to recall the units...
My question to complement yours is, "who did NOT get an email"? Who's Venty has not needed to be deactivated?

Am I wrong in thinking S&B is in the process of trying to disable/replace all Venty's sold whether they were malfunctioning or not?
At first, I thought that the "firmware test/update" email that I received was directed to a certain lot, if not all, of the Venty devices sold thus far. Upon the second email directing me to deactivate it and vaguley promising to ship a replacement "next week", I dutifully did the deed and laid it to rest in it's box, stripped of its CU.... still excited to get it replaced...

Someone in the 420VZ Discord said they just got a shipping notification from S&B. Hopefully others aren’t far behind!
I hope it's true... As much as I'd expect them to do what they say they would do in their email before killing my unit, I'd be quite impressed if I actually received a replacement before the month is out.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
My question to complement yours is, "who did NOT get an email"? Who's Venty has not needed to be deactivated?

I came back temporarily, to answer your intelligent question, as this thread has deteriorated into a bunch of newbie trolls posting nonsense…

I never received an email, so I wrote them. They responded, but the link they supplied was stupid, and a few members here gave me the proper one, as I have to enter the address manually in the Bluefy App, as I use an iPad. The confirmation was that I would be contacted. After that, NO response, then a “please rate your experience”, email. I responded with my disappointment that I have yet to know what the status is with my Venty.

So, I don’t know how they went about sending out the original emails, as I never received one, I’m registered.
I can only ASSUME, they are perhaps overwhelmed with dealing with customers. Or, my unit was never originally flagged for the issue. I won’t give up, while happily enjoying my Venty, I would eventually like a confirmation directly from S&B, either way.

I don’t mess around with potential battery or BMS issues, as a mishap with a single 18650 lithium battery can burn down a building. When it’s resolved one way or the other, I’ll report back…. Hopefully by then the latest batch of immature trolls will have moved on from here…. :(

JoeMama

Thank you, Rusty, for re-engaging lol...

I guess that your unit is unaffected judging by the lack of urgency from S&B to deactivate it... I guess one can speculate forever about why some units are affected while others are not... It's kind of first-class that their web utility could determine the thing they needed to know. For a device designed to make heat, I guess they naturally would want to be able to do a thorough check on the battery health. That they can do it remotely is impressive, too.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Thank you, Rusty, for re-engaging lol...

I guess that your unit is unaffected judging by the lack of urgency from S&B to deactivate it... I guess one can speculate forever about why some units are affected while others are not... It's kind of first-class that their web utility could determine the thing they needed to know. For a device designed to make heat, I guess they naturally would want to be able to do a thorough check on the battery health. That they can do it remotely is impressive, too.

I always come back when there is intelligent life….

I will eventually find out, even if I have to learn German, and call them. Things do fall through the cracks occasionally, and most likely they are dealing with more then they originally planned on.

Better SAFE… then SORRY! :)

Top Bottom