• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Vaporstar portable vaporizer review

max

Out to lunch
the glass is not so durable. Mine was shattered after one day of usage.
No, it's not heavy duty glass, but it doesn't break by itself. It requires human assistance. ;)

max,

SuperTorch

The Tube pipe is the thickest of the three, the rubber base on the original and the tube pipe are nice because when your under the influence you tend to set things down with less regard and glass on most surfaces might shatter. The rubber base of the ones on his site help alleviate careless mistakes, I have used all glass but late at night and sitting them down too hard, made me realize that the rubber base servers a purpose. He now has on the site the option to get more glass pipes only so you can get a VaporStar and get extra and different pipes. They are fairly priced at about $20 U.S.

SuperTorch,

Bananiq

Thank you SuperTorch - I didnt know he offers additional glassware.

max: Yes definitely human assistence :D but that micro-pipe really shattered itself, I only held it with my 2 fingers and a really small piece of glass fell out of the surface in the 'O' ring. Maybe there is glass really fragile, so be aware of that.

Bananiq,

runner

Basshead
max said:
Vaporstar (Dave) calls it the 'Micro-pipe', but it's not a selection on his site now. It's actually called the 'Mini Traveller', a 'made in China' piece that's kind of hard to find. This site shows it, but you can't order.

http://www.chronicglass.com/products2/372.html

It seems to be more available in the UK.
Looks funny....
I'd get the Vapor Star, but it just doesn't seem nearly as portable as the Vapor Genie. I like the idea of using a water pipe, but the idea of being able to pack the pipe and go seems much more ideal/practical for me.

runner,

Benny

can u guess?
Funny how time and time again we compare these two vaporisers.. Yet really, the only real similarities are they're both lighter-flame powered, and both great products in their own way.

As a regular user of both the Genie and the Star, I know if I want to vape while im out somewhere, I'd use the genie. Wouldn't even think of taking the star :lol: .. a loaded Vapor Genie hidden in your pocket would have to be one of the quickest & stealthiest ways to get a very nice vapor hit, and get back to what you were doing, with nobody else the wiser :ninja: ;) imo this is the point of the genie: quick, simple, easy... & straight back in your pocket.

If on the other hand I wanted to vape in a more comfortable situation, say.. on my (or a friends) couch, I'd use the star. Wouldn't give the genie a second thought. I've found that a properly used vaporstar, with a touch of hot water in the glass, gives THE smoothest, tastiest and most potent hits I have ever experienced, in either vapor or smoke. And its such an easy transition for people new to vaporising to make, from their old combustion-style-bongs *insert disgusting smell here*.. over to the vaporstar.. almost exactly the same action, and they can SEE when the vapor is happening to avoid any scorching! Which imo is the whole idea of the vaporstar: all the beloved ritual of using an old-style combustion bong, while producing some of the best vapor available.

My opinion, I dont know how anyone could choose to buy one and NOT the other..
Everyone should get both! :D :2c:

Benny,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
One negative about both VS and VG is the flame it takes to produce the vapors. That makes these two unit VERY noticeable in dark cars or wherever you may be that would require darkness.

Thats why it would be a good Idea to get the Genie and convert it onto a screw top bong bowl. Then spend your money on a magic flight launch box so you can still keep the stealth and the rich creamy vapors.

Hell....if you really wanna party get all of the portables. VS, VG, MF, IO, vapman, vaporbuddy :p, launch tube, moxie, vapor bat, ubie

:lol:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Benny

can u guess?
:lol: sounds like my kinda party bro.. :ko:

and I see what your saying about lighters being very visible at night man.. thinking back, i guess iv never actually come across this problem :| i mostly use my genie outside & at friends houses.. but yeah, it definitely would not be so stealthy in a dark car park!

But just reading the vapes you classed as "portables" .. one of the ideas i was trying to get across (especially under this thread's title) is that i dont know how much the Vaporstar can really be classed as a "portable", especially compared to some of the other vapes you mentioned. I mean, sure its portable in as much as you dont need to plug it in or anything, but personally i just dont think i would ever seriously consider going out with a fragile little glass pipe in my pocket, especially when I could take my genie instead.

Fact is i absolutely LOVE my Vaporstar, i just cant see how people can compare it to the genie... they're just too different.

Benny,

max

Out to lunch
i dont know how much the Vaporstar can really be classed as a "portable"
The Vaporstar is actually more portable than the Genie, size wise. You can connect a length of tubing to it instead of using a glass pipe or bong. And although Dave doesn't offer the micro pipe anymore as a glass option, it does still exist AFAIK ('Mini Traveller' is the name), and it's what I use with the Vaporstar. It's small enough to put in your shirt pocket, so definitely qualifies as a portable, despite the breakability factor (the Glass Genie is also breakable BTW). And aside from the glass vs. wood aspect, the Genie and Vaporstar are very much alike, as far as being basically a pipe with a ceramic filter for disbursing the heat.

max,

Benny

can u guess?
:)
Ok Max put simply, I disagree. But for the benefit of this discussion, lets compare these "very much alike" products:

The Vapor Genie assembles into one solid, small unit ready to use.

The Vaporstar assembles with its metal cap resting loose in its bowl. When its bumped or even just tipped too far over, this cap can easily fall out realistically, straight away the star becomes the LESS portable of the two products. I suppose some after-market modification (like your after-market tubing) could fix this and maybe some other problems, but lets look the products as theyre sold and meant to be used:

Only the genie uses a ceramic filter; the star uses small holes in its stainless steel cap. The genie can be used as is, without additional attachments; the star itself cannot be properly used without attaching it to some kind of pipe (or apparently, tubing). Any tubing attached to the star would realistically have to be at least 4-5cms to be practical for comfortable use... making the whole set up about the same size as the genie (minus its unpopular plastic mouth-piece). The genie is American; the star is British. The star costs about $45US delivered; the genie starts at $55. The vapor from the star can be easily hydrated by adding water to its glass pipe; the genie, and the new glass genie, will deliver only dry vapor.
I wasnt including the new model glass genie originally, as it is obviously much less portable than both the standard genie and a star in one of its glass pipes when the glass genie is dropped and cracks/breaks, it would become unsafe and/or completely unusable; the star can most likely be removed and reused with another pipe, while most standard genies can survive being dropped with no damage at all.

In my original post, I was only trying to express my opinion that people shouldnt compare and choose between these two products, because despite a few similarities with the method of inhaling while using a lighter, they are VERY different vapes, worth being judged on more than just which one is more portable. If that was someone's only concern, I would suggest the genie. :2c:

Benny,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
i've never had any problem with my metal cap falling out.. as a matter of fact mine fits super snug and has shown no sign of getting any looser, I knock my vapestar and what ever glass piece I have over all the time, more worried bout breaking my glass than dumping the bowl. As far as glass goes, I wouldn't take the VS many places with me that I would consider glass friendly. and compared too the VG i still tend too burn a bowl here and there and rarely in my VG, still have yet too find that proper sweet spot on my VS like I have my VG...

DevoTheStrange,

spaceman462

I actually have more difficulty getting the heat spreader into the bowl than I do with it falling out. I have to have it lined up just right for it to slide into the bowl. I figured it was the heat warping the wood bowl over time, but it might be by design.

spaceman462,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
one of my friends got his Vaporstar yesterday, so I had another one too compare mine too... Both fit extremely snug into the bowl and wont fall out..... more likely the glass piece you will have it in will break from a fall than the metal piece too fall out...

on a total side note, maybe its all the MJ I consume, but I find it hilarious when on of my friends takes it upon themselves too check the status of the herb by using their fingers and doesn't use the tweezers too pull it out...

DevoTheStrange,

Bananiq

:D yea thats funny .. when stoned, my friends are even dummer than they are usually. they often try to open the bowl with hands :D
anyway my VS' metal cap fitted also very snug to the bowl but after a time of usage, it becomes less "snuggy" and actualy nowadays it often falls out the bowl and my herb is all over the pocket:D

Bananiq,

anarki66

I am currently looking into getting a vaporizer unit(never had one). Im not sure which one to go with, ive been loking at 2 in specific. The vaporstar and thevapor genie. I would like to ask you guys for info on both of these and your feedback on which one would be a better for a starter(dont mind taking some time learning how to use the thing as long as it works).

If you could please reccomend one of these that would be great, or maybe yu might have a better option. The reason i was looking at these two was the price. I want to see what vaping is about, but i dont wanna pay 300 bones for a fancy one. Thanks for the help in advance

anarki66,

Ash

vaporist
I have one, but I really only ever use it when my PD was left unplugged and I don't have time to let it heat up, or when there's a power failure. I understand wanting to save some $$$, but (IMHO) lighter-based vapes like the VaporStar and the VaporGenie have a steep learning curve. This makes them difficult to master, and nearly impossible to share with others who don't also use them every day. I don't think I ever really did master mine. If you really can't afford one of the higher rated vapes, you can try picking one up used.

Ash,

sneezyjesus

Lightly Toasted
I have to respectfully disagree with Ash; the learning curve I experienced with my Vaporstar gave me a solid appreciation for vaporizing. But that might be because I'm weird in my vape-habits :p
Really though, personally I think there is something to the bridging step between smoking and vaporizing.

I've owned a Vaporstar for a year and a half and, though it gets used the least now, I still love using the thing. My second vape was a genie, and in retrospect I probably would have done better reversing the order of my first two vapes: Vaporstar-->Vaporgenie-->Purple Days to VaporGenie-->Vaporstar-->Purple Days

In my experience, its best to try and get a feel as to where each respective vaporizer you look at excels in use. The Purple Days model is best for casual, all the time, best bang for your buck use. My Genie I use as a go to device in the way anyone uses any pipe: to just enjoy roasting a bowl wherever you are. Now, as my Vaporstar was my first unit, I tried to make it fit all my vaporizing habits, to some success. It's great for a quick dome-busting bowl, but unfortunately requires a minimum of a full bowl of bud; half-filling hasn't gone well for me. Unfortunately there is one big drawback to the Vaporstar; the added learning curve of each respective piece of glass you use with it. My current chamber-pipe is rather finicky when it comes to anything but the largest candle flame, and my technique has yet to be refined.

To sum up: For a beginner vape-er, and one who is presently smoking, I'd advise the Vaporgenie. It takes less time to appreciate the learning curve, and has a bit more physical feedback while using it in terms of how hot the air gets when you should stop hitting it. I still strongly recommend the Vaporstar as a second unit, one to maybe fit any glass you already have while keeping the fun of sparking up a water pipe.

Other mentions:
Purple days=180$, most efficient thing in the world. Will get you WAY up there with a thumbnail of bud.
MyrtleZap=150$, see above but from a different manufacturer with some different materials
Woodeez=160$, ditto
Magic Flight Launch Box=100$, I've found this to be the most stealth unit that never stops giving out champion-hits. Less than half the size of your palm and runs on batteries
Vaporbrothers=170$?, Never been a more "electronic" vape fan, but the VB is a solid introductory whip vape, at less than 200$. And by introductory, I mean it will knock you on your ass. (I hear it rolls through bud though).

Those are the vapes I'd recommend for a first. Hope some of this dribble helps :)

sneezyjesus,

Isto

How is vaporstar different from "vaportop". They seem quite the same. I happened to notice that they sell "vaportop" named vape here with 8euros that seems similar to or even the same as vaporstar. Anyone know about this, or their differences ?

Might be, that vaportop is a cheap ripp of copy of a vaporstar that does not work as well ?

Or could it work as well and be "cheap as nails" being a good vape for 8euros ?

Isto,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Isto said:
How is vaporstar different from "vaportop". They seem quite the same. I happened to notice that they sell "vaportop" named vape here with 8euros that seems similar to or even the same as vaporstar. Anyone know about this, or their differences ?
the vaportop is made by the same people who make the vaporbuddy. So it is closer in design and use to a Vaporgenie. It uses a ceramic filter to diffuse the heat into the bowl.
The vaporstar works by pulling the flame into a tiny hole and it hits a metal disc that diffuses the heat into the bowl. although they may look similar the vaportop is definitely closer to a VG than a VS.
and from my experience the vaporbuddy does not work as well as the VG. But unlike the VG, the ceramic filter in the Vaporbuddy's seem to degrade with usage, at least he ones I have tried, which means you are inhaling tiny bits of the filter. I would not recommend this product or any others made by them because of this reason.

DevoTheStrange,

Isto

I think that vaportop also pulls the flame into a tiny hole.

From your post i suppose vaporstar is way better than vaportop, but am gonna still ask which works better ?

Offtopic: It seems you have had quite lot of vapes and still own quite a lot. Which have been the best vapes of those you have owned and where would you rank vaporstar ?

Is there any difference with your PD or PD pandora, which you like better ? I noticed you own both.

Isto,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Isto said:
Which is better ?

The whole is maybe a centimeter across if not a bit bigger on the vaportop... while the hole on the vaporstar is only 2mm or so across.

Completely different designs in how they get the heat into the bowl.

If i had to chose between the two I would always go for the vaporstar. They both work, it is just I dont like the fact that all the pipes and bowls I have encountered with the vaportop filter all showed signs of the filter slowly breaking down.
You would be better off buying a vaporgenie and fixing its filter onto a 1/2 inch stainless steel bowl for a bong set up than using the vaportop

Isto said:

From your post i suppose vaporstar is way better than vaportop, but am gonna still ask which works better ?

Offtopic: It seems you have had quite lot of vapes and still own quite a lot. Which have been the best vapes of those you have owned and where would you rank vaporstar ?

Is there any difference with your PD or PD pandora, which you like better ? I noticed you own both.
Each vape I own does a specific task for me. I would not rank them in order because each one has a different use for me. They each have their own little niche, and each vape is best at their own job I have assigned them to.
as far as PD's go... My Pandora runs slightly warmer than my original PD. So for me the two PDs are used depending on which effects I want, high temp or low temp.

DevoTheStrange,

Isto

Hmm, i'm pretty much sure that at least that vaportop that shop sells has similar size hole than vaporstar.

This is the product i speak of:

http://www.abong.fi/product_info.php?cPath=43_59&products_id=325 (15 with a bowl)

Why does your pandora run in different temp? You modified it so, or does it go so originally ?

What about the vaporizators you do not own anymore, they had something in them that made you give up on them ? You found something that does it's task better for example ?

Isto,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Ah, then that one works just like the vaporstar. and it has the advantage of also being offered with a glass bowl, easier to clean, and better taste then the metal bowl. Way better taste than the wooden bowl of the vaporstar.

I thought you were referring to this Vaportop....
http://www.gotvape.com/store/14mm.vapor.top.vaporizer.php
This is the one I was talking about and thought you were talking about, I would not recommend this particular product

Isto said:
Hmm, i'm pretty much sure that at least that vaportop that shop sells has similar size hole than vaporstar.

This is the product i speak of:

http://www.abong.fi/product_info.php?cPath=43_59&products_id=325 (15 with a bowl)

Why does your pandora run in different temp? You modified it so, or does it go so originally ?

What about the vaporizators you do not own anymore, they had something in them that made you give up on them ? You found something that does it's task better for example ?
each pandora will have a slightly different operating temp than the next, due to body size and density of the wood. Cannot make them all run at the same temp because of these variables. you can get them to run in a general temp region but not an exact temp, Some some may run cooler or hotter than one of their siblings.
And the reasons I don't own those vapes any more is because there were things I did not like about them, or I found a vape that did the job better than they did.

DevoTheStrange,

Wolface

Been using the Vaporstar a couple of days now. After a small learning curve, This thing rocks! Very cool device, Totally worth $35 and then some. Highly recommended if you enjoy simplicity at it's best!:D

Wolface,

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
Talk about revive an old thread, I bought an old Vaporstar vaporizer second hand

I got the biggest hits I've ever had in my life from it. Better than a Sticky Brick. Video to come. Anyone have one for sale? It's incredible. It uses a regular lighter. I got so high after a 1 week break, I've never been so high from vaping weed in my life ever, and I had a Herborizer once upon time...

Anyone have another for sale? Best piece I've ever had

deadlytoaster,
Reactions: Vapenvy

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I wouldnt use normal lighter . As they leave black sooth which is unhealthy,also taste is meh. Torch lighter is better. Dunno where you can get another but if you like this one,you will definetly dig the Vapo-bowl ;) .

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Vapenvy
Top Bottom