Discontinued Vaporstar portable vaporizer review

VapOracle

The Vaporstar Vaporizer - A Review

The Vaporstar, available online (www.vaporstar.co.uk) for 20 (around $50 USD with shipping), is an interesting device. Designed to be a cheap, portable alternative to a full-blown mains powered electric vaporizer, it is essentially a small adaptor for an existing bong that turns it into a functioning herbal vaporizer.

photoCroppedForWeb.jpg

The shape and size of the Vaporstar makes it clear that it is designed as a replacement for a bong?s existing tube or bowl. The real difference is in the rather ingenious design of the metal cap that sits in it. When the user inhales through the device, the hollow metal ?teat? on top draws the flame from a butane lighter inside, onto a flat, vaguely star-shaped piece of metal covered by a wire mesh. This ?star? heats up as the flame is extinguished, which in turn heats the air and the herb below. Assuming the correct temperature has been achieved, the herb should release it?s volatile compounds into the air, which in turn travel through the bong and finally into the user?s lungs.

I received my Vaporstar in a fairly timely fashion, given the postal difficulties of the easter weekend. Arriving in a small, blister-pack envelope, the Vaporstar itself was rather cunningly placed within a cylindrical cardboard tube to keep it?s various parts protected and together. In it?s totality, the package contained the wooden bowl/pipe and metal cap combo mentioned already, branded tweezers and a sheet of paper containing simple instructions for the unit.

Overall, the unit looks very nice. I contacted the Vaporstar?s maker, and he was happy to tell me about the materials it is made from. The wood used is American black walnut, a timber known for it?s hardness, fine grain and ability to be polished to a very smooth finish. Unsurprisingly, The metal cap is made from steel and looks to be very solidly built and professionally finished. Due to the obvious care taken in it?s design and construction, I can confidently give the build quality of the Vaporstar a thumbs-up. Treated properly, I see no reason why it shouldn?t stay in good working order almost indefinitely. The gauze may need to be replaced or cleaned from time to time, but the same is true for almost any kind of vaporizer.

VPTubePipeWebPhoto.jpg

The Vaporstar?s reliance on a butane lighter for a heat source presents something of a steep learning curve for the first-time user. Drawing in the flame at the correct rate for long enough requires careful breath control that people inexperienced with bongs might find a bit tricky. My first few attempts with the device were totally unsuccessful, but after a few more goes I was able to produce a light vapor, which I inhaled greedily. On subsequent attempts I had a mixture of modest success and outright failure as I learnt the correct rhythm. The difference between no vapor and lots of vapor is surprisingly small, and the difference between lots of vapor and a lungful of smoke can sometimes seem similarly minute.
I usually start off by inhaling through the unit for a few seconds so the metal can get hot. I then remove the lighter and empty my lungs. From here on, I have the most success by drawing in a slow, constant breath with a lighter placed close enough so that the yellow part of the flame dips entirely into the cap. The Vaporstar produces a distinctive shrill whistling sound when you breathe in at the correct rate, so try to keep that sound as regular as possible. Keeping this breath going, I use the heat of the air hitting my lips and lungs and the visible presence of any vapor in the chamber as a guide to how close I am.

Once vapor starts to appear, the lighter should be removed, When the bong is filled with vapor, I remove my finger from the airhole and use my remaining breath to pull it deep into my lungs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rttVXEy7C-c

I wish I could take hits as effortlessley as the guy in the link above, but there is definitely a technique to it that gets easier with practice. Getting a ?perfect? hit and breathing out a lung-full of thick, tasty vapor is a hugely satisfying thing and after a half a dozen sessions I can reliably produce good vapor most of the time. Even now I still occasionally burn the bowl, but more often than not it?s caused by lack of concentration on my part - a fairly good indicator that I?ve already had enough!
For the first few days, the vapor had a distinctive woody taste to it, but that gradually faded away with use until I was left with a remarkably unpolluted flavor. Pretty good for such a low-tech solution. In particular, one batch of herb I used in it had a truly delicious sweet lemony sherbet taste, and the vaporstar did a great job of delivering that taste with every hit.

For the money, the Vaporstar is an absolute steal. It?s a rugged, reliable little device that?s perfect for someone who is on a budget or looking for a portable unit to use when they can?t bring their electric vaporizer with them. The timing, coordination and breath control required to get the best results can present a bit of a challenge, but perseverance pays dividends. Just make sure to buy yourself a decent quality refillable lighter - you'll need it.

Edit: Oops - Sorry, just realized that there is already a vaporstar thread. Sadly, I don't seem to be able to delete my own threads, but if the mods/community would prefer it, I'll paste this at the end of the existing VS thread and the mods can delete this.

Ta.

VapOracle,

spyder

Dude... Be careful about starting topics that are already exists...

They are pretty serious about that around here :|

But once they are started... You can post WHATEVER you want under them. :rolleyes:

spyder,

spyder

If there are five apples, and you take away three, how many do you have?

spyder,

max

Out to lunch
I should also probably mention that due to the Vaporstar's use of a standard butane lighter as a source of heat (jet flame lighters are not recommended), there are inevitable health concerns about inhaling some unburnt butane when taking a hit.
Butane can't pass through or around a flame and still remain butane. You only have a problem if you suck the flame out and are still pumping fuel out of the lighter. What you do get with a standard butane lighter, that a torch will eliminate, is soot (partially combusted carbon).

max,

SuperTorch

The VaporStar Rocks. Its beautiful(kinda shaped like a flower), while following the form follows function rule, which from it looks mean it must function well. I agree with the OP that theres no reason why this device won't last you a lifetime, very well made. I mean look at it up there in that leaned-back sexy pose, I don't really think you can resist it's power.

SuperTorch,

VapOracle

Hello! Thanks for the input, Max. I'd heard that a little bit of unburnt butane still leaked out, but that's cool. I'll update my review later to reflect that, and mention the soot.

I've not heard of a green flame jet lighters - I'll have to pick one up.

Glad I've not annoyed anyone with not posting my review at the end of the existing vaporstar thread.

Ta,

-VapOracle

VapOracle,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
spyder said:
You pretty much got away with murder :disgust:
While you pretty much get away with being a shit disturber without anybody calling you on it. :disgust:

Nobody but max, I suppose (Hi max! :wave:). Why do you need to keep poking that fire man? Not trying to step on any toes here...but when I'm in anothers house, even if they've told me "just act like you're at home", I still try to maintain a certain level of respect for their desires. Let this place be run be those who run it, or offer your moderation services to vtac and let him make the call. It is, in effect, his house. Let us all play by the rules, because let me tell you...vtac is one of the most kind, unassuming, forgiving admins I've come across. He lets a LOT of shit slide that most other admins (or mods for that matter) would jump on with foam spewing from the corners of their lips. Maybe that does lead to some disorganization; I will certainly agree with you there. But have you spent much time on other forums man?

That's ALWAYS the struggle...keeping things neat and tidy and on topic. It's almost laughable, really. These places are the definition of unrestrained organic growth. You have one user who makes a post, then there's a response and another and another...it's like something vegetable unfolding, and it's growth is almost always out of the realm of control. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be on topic and organized and all these things, but nit picking constantly about the tiny things is just so pointless. Just sit on the crest and ride the wave, my friend.

I hope you don't take this personally, spyder. You've contributed lots of good stuff around here too, and I truly am a freaky-deaky hippy who just wants to love everyone and not bring anybody down...but man...if what you're saying is not going to be constructive or do much of anything but stir some shit, then why say it at all? I know you know the reaction you're going to recieve with this sort of talk...it's been made clear already, at least it seems pretty damned clear to me. So are you stirring the pot because you REALLY care about these matters, or are you stirring it just to stir it up? IF you REALLY care, e-mail vtac and talk to him about it. All this animosity mucks up the great vibe we've been so lucky to find here at FC.com.

partially veiled,

marcuss

above the clouds
"Maybe that does lead to some disorganization"...this living form likes to be autoregulated!

Vtac, like almost all the FC community is a wise man and knows that sometimes is better let them talk....anyone can take his conclusion!

marcuss,

max

Out to lunch
spyder said:
Dude... Be careful about starting topics that are already exists...
They are pretty serious about that around here
But once they are started... You can post WHATEVER you want under them.
spyder said:
If there are five apples, and you take away three, how many do you have?
spyder said:
You pretty much got away with murder :disgust:
VapOracle didn't just ask a question or make a comment on the Vaporstar, he wrote a full fledged review. You started two additional threads on the SSV. Nobody complained about those. If this is such a 'police state' forum why weren't your threads deleted?

This is a vapor forum primarily, with edibles also qualifying. I'm sure if someone wanted to post their positive experience with mj suppositories, that would qualify too. :uhoh: We do have some fun threads in the Vapor Lounge, with the key being 'fun'. We won't be starting or allowing any heavy duty off topic threads involving politics or religion, etc. There are plenty of other forums for those topics. In view of the narrow focus of the forum, one 'catch all, post anything' thread is enough. That's why your duplicate 'post anything' thread was deleted. Even if yours had been the first thread started, instead of vtac's, the title would have been changed. 'Master thread'? You've gotta be kidding. I doubt such a pompous, non descriptive thread title would be tolerated on any forum. You seem to want to stand out rather than fit in, even if it's for disruptive posts. If you want to stand out, post good content, not constant complaints. In the future, I wouldn't be surprised if your posts that simply complain about forum organization just get deleted. Offering suggestions is fine, and we should probably have a thread for it, but you're just complaining about not getting your way. Posts that don't offer any content except :horse: aren't needed or wanted here. And that goes for posts containing nothing but an icon too. If you like or don't like a post, a response containing nothing but :D or :( doesn't qualify as a valid post. You should say why you agree or disagree.

You posted three times in this thread and offered nothing of value and nothing related to the topic. This is a forum with few rules. That may change in the future, but for now we depend on the members to use common sense and only provide a 'nudge' now and then to keep things on topic and more or less organized. It works pretty well for the most part. Certainly people still get off topic sometimes, and that will happen less often in the future I'm sure. But it looks like you need a full time babysitter and we aren't gonna provide one. So either get with the spirit of the forum or get lost. Don't be the first legitimate poster to get banned.

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Great review Oracle...thanks!

Does it come with the glass pipe in the picture or is the $50 just for the bowl that goes into whatever pipe you want to put it in?

I have a VaporGenie and it also uses a flame for a heat source. Have you tried one of these, and if so, how would you compare them side-by-side?

stickstones,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
the vaporstar seems tempting, but overall i like the look of the vaporgenie and its method of separating the flame seems to me much more well-engineered, and theres less small parts to lose

that being said, when i get my vaporgenie i might try and a make a modification to, or an adapter for the top so that it can go into my bongs bowl, vaping out of a bong just seems so classy

maybe some tubing coming off the end of the pipe into my bong would be enough, but im going to try something creative

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
the vaporstar seems tempting, but overall i like the look of the vaporgenie and its method of separating the flame seems to me much more well-engineered, and theres less small parts to lose

that being said, when i get my vaporgenie i might try and a make a modification to, or an adapter for the top so that it can go into my bongs bowl, vaping out of a bong just seems so classy

maybe some tubing coming off the end of the pipe into my bong would be enough, but im going to try something creative
you can fit it if you remove the plastic mouth piece , but it look like shit and does'nt work realy realy good LOL but it fit (on a 18.8mm joint)

Clear_Dome,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i must admit, im staring to like the vaporstar more and more

hitting the bong is so fun and i wouldnt want to lose that with a vap

Acolyte of Zinglon,

marcuss

above the clouds
i never tried a vaporgenie but after reading some experiences i feel it works ways better than the vapostar....i really don't like it(If you read my past posts you'll know why)....luckly it cost me few euro!
I made a tubing version that improve it a little bit but man....when you try the pure vapor experience... will be hard to be satisfied from this vape.
I know you cannot compare a 250/400 $ vape to this little piece of wood and i don't want to cut wings to anyone...but i know you are on a budget and after my vaporstar experience i'd go hands down with the VG!!
Dave the vaporstar's creator has stopped production......who knows why?
my :2c:

marcuss,

SuperTorch

I can compare because I had a V-Tower(not extreme) and I liked my VaporStar more, just easier and faster, and more fun. The V-Tower was nice it didn't blow my mind. I believe a very high percentage of people who get the VaporStar have loved it like the OP here. You can look at the VaporStar esp w/the videos and pretty much see what your getting and how it will perform, I've based my love of the unit on the fact that I clean mine often, So like I said in the other thread, with the VaporStar and a little effort its like a brand new vaporizer every time I use it. If your expectations are not through the roof you will like the VaporStar. I've never had any problem getting great vapors from it, the very first hit I took was a heat up hit and on the second one it was nice and soft vapors.

For people who are thinking about the VaporStar I'd say look at the video if that doesn't convince you then I'd look else where. For me when I first saw it I knew with in about 2 minutes of reading and observing that I really wanted one. I reordered after I got it and it met every expectation I had.

SuperTorch,

SuperTorch

It looks like his site has more for sale, and if you look at the currency exchange they are about $45 shipped I think he reduced the price. Very much a steal. Glad to see he still has them on his site.

SuperTorch,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
awesome, im seriously considering the vaporstar over the genie for my first vape, seems like it has less of a learning curve and you get a show when youre hitting it!
it also has other advantages over the vg, easier reloading and stirring, harder to scorch cause you can see what youre getting, and funner because its like hitting the bong

plus its $20 cheaper than the vaporgenie when ordered from dieselvapors and i already have a perfect little 7" bong for it

im thinking of using either my little homemade alcohol lamp or getting one of those green tiger torches like you linked, any suggestions? how fast do those burn through butane? the fuel cost is my major reason for using an alcohol lamp

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Your vacillating again AZ ;)

IMO the VG and the vaporstar perform the same function is just whether you prefer a bong or a pipe. I don't like hitting bongs without water and didn't find the learning curve of the VG that steep. Add 6 inches of whip tubing to the VG and you get to see the vapor forming! :brow:

vaporcloud,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
bah! i can vaccillate if i want to! my mind is an incredibly confusing place, i wouldnt venture into it lest i get lost :uhoh:
goddamn we need the crankey smiley here... i guess tim will have to suffice

(tim hates pharmeceutical bullshit drugs ;) )

im more solid on the vaporstar than i am on the electric vape im going to get, quite simply because im getting the lighter vape first so i make up my mind more definately. i havent heard any more bad stuff about it than i have about the vg, so its at least as good. and i love hitting my tiny little bong, its pretty sweet

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SuperTorch

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
im thinking of using either my little homemade alcohol lamp or getting one of those green tiger torches like you linked, any suggestions? how fast do those burn through butane? the fuel cost is my major reason for using an alcohol lamp
Insanely Fast, last about 1 bowl maybe 2. I refill mine with Colibri Premium Butane at the beginning of each bowl.

I'm sure the VG works because of user reports, but for some reason I don't find it appealing, I don't know if thats because I think it is hard to clean or what, I don't like the design of it really either it's got too many pieces and some have reported the bowl separating from the pipe. One of the beautiful things about the VaporStar is its only really 2 pieces and simpler designs tend to be more reliable. I love the bong/glass pipe aspect of it, and watching vapors come to life simple does offer other advantages. I've never gone into a VaporGenie thread to tell some one to buy the VaporStar, I feel buyers who are looking can read about both and then decide what works for them. I think it's fine for posters to make negative comments about a Vaporizer/VaporStar because sometimes there is a negative aspect to one or the other that needs to be brought out in the light. I'm just giving my over all $.02 to the discussion and that is for some reason I really dig the VS, I can sit on my couch firing it up like a waterpipe, and when I sit it down I don't have a hot electrical unit to worry me in the back of my mind, at the end of every hit if I want to sit my lighter down and just forget about it I can no worries. It does fit a 14.4 joint perfectly so it can go into a diffuser for Water Pipe Vapors, and all that's with out any extra adapters that most electric users add to get the WaterPipe like hits.

I've said it before "Seeing is Believing" watch the full 5 minute video on youtube and you see how it rocks, he's using a bud it's not even ground up, and he rushes it for the video averaging about 1 hit every 20 seconds for 5 minutes in reality bowls last bout 10 minutes each. Another thing about the VaporStar thats useful/cool is the stainless steel metal star has 3 marks on the top of it, so you rotate it 1/3rd after each hit, this is nicely effective because in essence its like stirring it with out stirring, then at the end of 3 hits you can lift the star off and stir for another 3 hit round. Stirring always helps produce better vapors in any vaporizer and even after 3 hits the top of the VaporStar pops of so easy because its not threaded like the VG. Stirring the VS averages less than 10 seconds for me, and thats not including the little mini stir you get by rotating the 1/3rd mark after each hit. The marks on top are another aspect of ultra simple design that is truly a function, its etched into the stainless steel so it will never come off.

All your Vapors are belong to us.

SuperTorch,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i think ill stick to alcohol lamps then, rubbing alcohol is cheap, butane isnt

one thing about alcohol lamps and stealth, if you use denatured ethanol in the lamp, the flame puts off almost no light, its a very soft blue flame that will get lost in daylight. isopropyl puts off a soft edged orange flame, and methyl i believe is the hottest burning one, and the flame is nearly invisible as well, so you could park somewhere, light the lamp, and not worry about the 5-10 second bursts of light giving you away
of course youll have to be careful with an open flame

Acolyte of Zinglon,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Supertorch...thanks for all that killer info. I may end up getting one after all, even though I have a VG. Then I can send my VG to AtoZ so he can quit debating over which vape should be his first! :lol:

So what you're buying with the Vaporstar is just the piece that fits in the bong, yes? Then you stick it in whatever bong/pipe you want, right?

How long does a bic lighter last with it? Those things last long enough with the VG.

stickstones,
Top Bottom