• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vapman

llamaman001

damn....after a morning sesh Im just sitting here admiring my vapman (non-mica) and all of the sudden I notice 2 big cracks coming from opposite sides! If it continues this way its going to split completely in half, any tips?

llamaman001,
Reactions: $unnyblaq

VAPEHUNTER

After always wanting the Vapman I finally pulled the trigger Monday and ordered the Vapman Basic:rockon:.
My tracking number updated this morning and now shows it should be delivered today instead of tomorrow:clap:. So now the big decision do I leave it "plain" or do I take my torch and completely charr it? I really like what @Mojo did with his Vapman and if I do Charr mine I want it to be very dark like as close to Black as possible.
So I guess what I really need to find out is
1.) do I use Olive oil or Linseed oil?
I read that Olive oil can go rancid over time but I also read Linseed oil can be toxic.
2.) Should I oil the bottom also?
3.) After I oil my Vapman, with Olive or Linseed oil, how long should I wait to use it?
Thanks in advance! I'm so excited, I can't stop checking and re-checking the U.S.P.S. tracking number:p.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I left my basic vapman un-oiled and "basic". I like the look of what Mojo did with his charred finish but I don't feel comfortable removing all the screws and hardware it would require to do it to mine.

I don't know that it really needs to be oiled myself as I kinda like how it looks now after a month of heavy use.

llamaman001

Rude boy, it looks like A LOT more trouble than it is, ive fully taken apart both my vapman and never felt uncomfortable about it. If you have any hand/joint issues though I would advise against it as it can be a little tricky getting the screws back in, but its not bad at all honestly.

My vapman was bought off an ebay user so I doubt they would honor the warranty but I might as well try!

Seren

Away with the fairies
I read that Olive oil can go rancid over time but I also read Linseed oil can be toxic.
3.) After I oil my Vapman, with Olive or Linseed oil, how long should I wait to use it?

I believe that Vapman use linseed oil on the Classics ..... but I could be mistaken.

Like @RUDE BOY - I didn't do anything with mine at first. However, after about a good 6 months of daily use, the wood started to look a little bit parched. I had some of @Ed's TnT butter to hand, so I applied that. It really brings out the grain, it also makes the Vapman appear quite a bit darker. I now butter my little fella every month or so, after it's been used, last thing at night. It's always good to go the next day. I don't apply the butter to the underneath section, or anywhere the flame is likely to hit.

:2c: :peace: :)

hoyo77

After always wanting the Vapman I finally pulled the trigger Monday and ordered the Vapman Basic:rockon:.
My tracking number updated this morning and now shows it should be delivered today instead of tomorrow:clap:. So now the big decision do I leave it "plain" or do I take my torch and completely charr it? I really like what @Mojo did with his Vapman and if I do Charr mine I want it to be very dark like as close to Black as possible.
So I guess what I really need to find out is
Thanks in advance! I'm so excited, I can't stop checking and re-checking the U.S.P.S. tracking number:p.
I use Eds Bomb Ass Butta on my wood vaping products.

http://www.edstnt.com/index_files/bombassbutter.htm

OF

I believe that Vapman use linseed oil on the Classics ..... but I could be mistaken.

I believe you're right. We could both be wrong, of course, but if you lie I'll swear to it?

Linseed oil is processed flax seed oil (a dietary supplement). The processing involves some stuff you don't want to eat (although it's not really all that toxic as I understand). Or drink. However, it's a "drying oil" meaning it basically links into a solid locking the nasty stuff inside the finish.

I think it's safe to say it's not generally considered a heath issue once dried. I have no reservations using my linseed oil finished Vapman, FWIW.

OF

VAPEHUNTER

Wow, thanks for all the responses, I feel like I just joined a secret society deep in the heart of the FC forum. I also read on the website that Linseed oil is used at the factory that is why I originally planned on using it but then I started reading up on it and found that "boiled linseed oil" has or may have additives that can be toxic so I figured Olive oil is the way to go. But then after reading up on Olive oil I found that over time Olive oil can go rancid:puke:.
I wonder what they do at the factory after applying the Linseed oil maybe a little time in the oven to help the drying process or maybe they just lay them out and let them age like steaks.

@VAPEHUNTER trust me bro youll love it i use my vapman and hammer daily its just too good.
That's great. I look forward to having the Vapman in my daily vape rotation as well.

Yes! Mail man just showed up!!!:rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

OF

I wonder what they do at the factory after applying the Linseed oil maybe a little time in the oven to help the drying process or maybe they just lay them out and let them age like steaks.

Typical drying times are a few days, I suspect it's not a problem. "Drying" is really the wrong term, in that it doesn't so much evaporate solvent off like ink would, but 'polymerizes'. That is the molecules link to each other in a solid but not highly ordered mass. Like many plastics, rubber, epoxies and so on.

If you want to stay really clear I suggest Carnauba wax. Like Johnson's Paste Wax, like you'd put on the kitchen floor or an antique table. Or on any number of foods. If you like say M&Ms you already eat it so it shouldn't worry you?

OF

VAPEHUNTER

Well, I've had my Vapman for about an hour now and I began taking it apart within the first 10 minutes of me getting it because if I didn't, knowing me I would just say screw it I'm using it as is and I really wanted mine to have the black charred look.

So far I completely disassembled it (except for the gold bowl), sanded it down with 600 grit sand paper, torched / charred it, brushed it and gave it a nice light coat Linseed oil, everywhere except around the "gold bowl" area. It's in my office now, not drying but polymerizing:brow:.

Hopefully it will be good to go by Friday, Hunting season opens this weekend and I have a feeling this is going to be great for sitting around the fire back at camp.
Thanks again everyone for all the input and I look forward to contributing more in the future.

llamaman001

lmao I dont know my brother, I always seem to fall into them randomly. At 40 bucks though that was just too good to pass up. Looks like ill literally be taking my cracked basic version with me EVERYWHERE until it meets its demise. 3 vapmen army!

davesmith

Glass Blower
I felt the smell from linseed lingered for quite a while (re 5 days). Now I generally just rub it with a stick of pure beeswax. Might go get some mineral oil today and mix it with the wax to make my own bomb ass butter, my vapes need a bit of love...

Can't wait for the CTs. awyea.

Oh and @VAPEHUNTER ...... PHOTOOOOOOOOS!

peace

OF

I felt the smell from linseed lingered for quite a while (re 5 days).

You're using boiled linseed oil, right? That's the traditional wood finish although you can get raw versions as well.....they take much longer to dry. Which is why they 'boil' it. It doesn't boil as much as gets cooked in an oxygen free way. This makes "Stand oil", an intermediate step that's sometimes used as is.

Modern boiled linseed oils are further processed with metal salts to dry even faster. These same salts are also available as "Japan dryer" and similar to further enhance this effect. This increases the tendency to 'cross link' (turn into plastic basically). Using modern boiled oils 2 days at normal temperatures (and humidity) is a good number to work with.

Long ago, Lead salts were used for this, modern dryers use less toxic metals for a number of reasons.

BTW, "oil based" paints do the same thing since it's basically the same thing going on (which is why you can't wash it off the wall with 'paint thinner'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

Check out "Stand oil" and "Boiled Linseed Oil" about 2/3 of the way down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_drying_agent

A good description of drying agents, IMO.

Regards.

OF

Last edited by a moderator:

VAPEHUNTER

I used "boiled Linseed oil" and I think I learned to post pictures:). They are crappy phone pictures but I think they get the point across. I want to use this weekend but I may just leave it to polymerize over the weekend instead. I'll post more pictures when I reassemble it.
The Vapman basic as we all know it.
cUEUj6V.jpg

IfCEyk8.jpg

And after the Vapman met my Torch.
AeRoqLu.jpg

fHpJugO.jpg

3Sam4aR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

G Hog

Whoa! That's dramatic and beautiful @VAPEHUNTER! It looks like your Vapman got the Knight Rider treatment!

I am still fiddling around with my new Vapman and I am slowly mastering things. (Thanks again to all of you for the tips and encouragement to other newbies over the years. I definitely went through a frustrating spell at first like with all new vapes but I felt certain it would pass based on what I read here).

I can't find my Pinnacle water tool to try that out but one big discovery I made today: Got a huge rip out of a bubbler by adding an 18mm male to male adapter to the bowl then holding the Vapman on top of the18mm male adapter. The Vapman mouthpiece fits perfectly flush with the 18mm male adapter though you have to hold it in place.

So if you have an 18mm male equipped bubbler for dabbing or something you are already set to go--I just popped an 18mm male to male into my 18mm female equipped Bingo Victorian matrix bubbler (my beloved) and was blown away by the rip I got. It was like it was far larger than usual perhaps because the vapor was cooled down so nicely I didn't how big a hit I was getting. Anyhow, if this post is confusing, with all the adapter business I'm sorry! I blame it on the quality of the hit I'm trying to describe! Wowzers! Vapman epiphany day! :brow: First use of an emoticon on FC. :brow:

EDIT: D'ooohhh! I meant that I used an 18mm male to 14mm male adapter and the Vapman fits perfectly on top of the 14mm end, you just have to hold it there. Man, that hit really did get me loopy! Just took another and realized my error. Fortunately able to add the edit so I don't look like a total dumb ass!
G Hog

Last edited:

natural farmer

I used "boiled Linseed oil" and I think I learned to post pictures:). They are crappy phone pictures but I think they get the point across. I want to use this weekend but I may just leave it to polymerize over the weekend instead. I'll post more pictures when I reassemble it.
The Vapman basic as we all know it.
cUEUj6V.jpg

IfCEyk8.jpg

And after the Vapman met my Torch.
AeRoqLu.jpg

fHpJugO.jpg

3Sam4aR.jpg
Wow! It looks like you barely saved it from the fire! Are your hands black after touching it?

btka

how is the vapor especially regarding clouds(size)... and taste... compared to pax, cera, e-nano...
i want to get rid from my pax because i don t like the taste of it and the cera isn t really as portable because of size and i always have paranoia that i will break it (it is made out of a special ceramic)... the nano is my home unit now and i like it a lot thats why i am asking for comperission... i also considered to purchase a lotus but came to the opinion that it maybe not as stealth as the vapman... maybe i will buy the lotus in the future... you know vas but money is the problem otherwise i would buy both of them...

btka,

btka

yes you are right... but i thought that in the vapman thread i can get more answers... for example from @OF because he also owns a cera... and maybe he didn t look in the "vapman vs lotus" thread...
i did expected that for example you steama who gave me allready great advice would react like that (and i understand your statemant)...but i thought as this question is more related to the vapman that i could get some more (extra) opinions from others using/owning a vapman (looking in this thread and maybe not in the "vapman vs lotus" thread...
and yes of course steama i would like to try one but i don t know anyone who owns one...
sorry...

Top Bottom