Discontinued VapeXhale Cloud EVO

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Greetings,

Before writing to tech support yet again, I thought I'd reach out to you. In brief, my brand new EVO needed a "firmware update" after a single month of use because it stopped heating well. I sent it in, 2 and a half long weeks later, I got it back. First day and a half, its performance was less than ideal. Vapor was wispy. ABV was very light even after long hits at 3-5 pm on the dial even after heating for hours. But, then it seemed to go into full gear and for the next couple of days has been performing like a champ. That is, until now. I've had it back one week week and…

Suddenly, now it seems to be overheating--the LED turned solid red and stayed that way no matter where I put the dial and the unit feels hotter than ever--all over. I unplugged it. Reset (toggled on/off) at 12 pm, unplugged again. Let cool down. And now, it seems to be heating normally. Maybe. I'll have to watch it closely. But, wow, it was really hot (I left it running unattended for about 20 mins after it was on for a couple hours). This is a 110v US unit.

Anyway, it seems the sensor got tricked into thinking it needed to heat up when it was already too hot so got stuck on red. Is that possible?

Also any/all suggestions as to how to deal with this issue are appreciated.

Thanks,
jd

This seems to be reported with increasing frequency and should be watched very carefully for the customer and company's sake. Please be careful all Evo owners!

Vaporizers should be as safe to use as cannabis is to consume.

McNerdius

god of nerds
I had a herbalaire 2.1, it was a great vape for the price, you could throw whole solid nug in and it would come out even brown!

But it is stainless steel and teflon and tastes just OK, and bags aren't as good as bongs. Compared to the evo that tastes exactly like the bud smells and milks glass epicly!

Er, so... uh... did you check out the link u replied to (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herbalaire.276/page-66#post-587055), where HA is milking the glass ? It's quite fun to do hehe. :rockon: :drool:
i'll link this pic of my setup rather than post it inline, as it's applicable to the post but not the thread.

Last edited:

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I just got a huge surprise, not a good one either. I finished a more done than I thought elb, caught up a bit on the thread, and then went to cook dinner. I left the EVO on (green mode) because I was going to load a fresh elb and try some of the suggested inhaling techniques after dinner.
This problem concerns INTERNATIONAL VapeXhalers.
When stuff was cooking and didn't need any attention, I came back to a smoking EVO. My room light was off but there was a new lava lamp on my desk, so I noticed right away. I wish I got some pictures but first I was contemplating if I should take it out of the house or if glass shards were about to fly everywhere. Then I got the camera but couldn't find full batteries and dinner was done. The bamboo was way brighter than the led, literally molten glass solid orange all the way to the top of the gong. It's continuing to crack as I type. The smoke was starting to get pretty thick to.
On an even more serious note, this could have been bad. I thought my EVO had gone rogue by itself from green mode twice in the past week or so, but I saw it happen early so just thought it might be heating up and toggled it. This could very well burn a house down unsupervised. I don't recall getting a serious safety warning from VapeXhale, and I think at the very least, a message to internationals is a must.
aarCqtc.jpg

p3VfQZt.jpg

FhXZgRY.jpg

I believe we had mentioned it in a previous post but it is worth re-iterating. All 220 EVO owners are recommended to stop using their units until their replacements arrive. If you do choose to use your unit, please do not leave it unattended and make sure you turn it off and unplug it after usage.

Greetings,

Before writing to tech support yet again, I thought I'd reach out to you. In brief, my brand new EVO needed a "firmware update" after a single month of use because it stopped heating well. I sent it in, 2 and a half long weeks later, I got it back. First day and a half, its performance was less than ideal. Vapor was wispy. ABV was very light even after long hits at 3-5 pm on the dial even after heating for hours. But, then it seemed to go into full gear and for the next couple of days has been performing like a champ. That is, until now. I've had it back one week week and…

Suddenly, now it seems to be overheating--the LED turned solid red and stayed that way no matter where I put the dial and the unit feels hotter than ever--all over. I unplugged it. Reset (toggled on/off) at 12 pm, unplugged again. Let cool down. And now, it seems to be heating normally. Maybe. I'll have to watch it closely. But, wow, it was really hot (I left it running unattended for about 20 mins after it was on for a couple hours). This is a 110v US unit.

Anyway, it seems the sensor got tricked into thinking it needed to heat up when it was already too hot so got stuck on red. Is that possible?

Also any/all suggestions as to how to deal with this issue are appreciated.

Thanks,
jd

We are a company that takes safety very seriously. We have notified our PCB manufacturer and engineer of the issue that you mentioned. FWIW, many of the units that customers have had issues with blinking lights, heating, etc etc have not been reproducible went sent back to us. Just because we can't reproduce it doesn't mean there isn't an issue, it just isn't your typical obvious issues.

If you think there is an issue, please document everything as best as you can and email support@vapexhale.com - your data will be very important for us to use while triaging these issues.

In general, we do recommend running your EVO with some sort of surge protector. At the last Cannabis Cup, when our electricity was "dirty" it fried a bunch of our units. We are not saying that this is what is happening with you, but as a precaution, plugging your EVO into a surge protector would be good.

JoeKickass

Er, so... uh... did you check out the link u replied to (http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/herbalaire.276/page-66#post-587055), where HA is milking the glass ? It's quite fun to do hehe. :rockon: :drool:
i'll link this pic of my setup rather than post it inline, as it's applicable to the post but not the thread.
Oh yes, I love how the HA is the jack of all trades doing bags and having the waterpipe adapter. But that's why I made sure to say the evo milks glass epicly :rockon:

Vaporizers should be as safe to use as cannabis is to consume.
:nod:

JoeKickass,

Teedub

It should be attached to the last email conversation we were having, I will resend later today after work.

Teedub,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Had my first serious "stoner" moment with the nail prototype the other night. So I overloaded the nail which caused a mess in the bamboo. I thoughtlessly grabbed a small piece of paper towel and tried to wipe it out. This was a very, very, very, bad idea. The hot oil wicked up the paper towel and the whole thing instantly burst into flames :o right in the bamboo, and in my fingers. It was a filthy, disgusting, ugly, smelly, mess. Rather than reacting stupidly, I switched the unit off, unplugged it, put my hands in the air, and backed away from the lab counter.

Cleaning is not that bad. I like the openness of the bamboo for cleaning since I had to run a brush down there, however I had to fill and drain with ISO a few times to run everything through and out. Once it was dry I set EVO to max and let it get good and hot both right side-up and upside down, and I pulled a lot of air through it trying to sense any smells, but it appears all is well . . . :)

SD_haze

Had my first serious "stoner" moment with the nail prototype the other night. So I overloaded the nail which caused a mess in the bamboo. I thoughtlessly grabbed a small piece of paper towel and tried to wipe it out. This was a very, very, very, bad idea. The hot oil wicked up the paper towel and the whole thing instantly burst into flames :o right in the bamboo, and in my fingers. It was a filthy, disgusting, ugly, smelly, mess. Rather than reacting stupidly, I switched the unit off, unplugged it, put my hands in the air, and backed away from the lab counter.

Cleaning is not that bad. I like the openness of the bamboo for cleaning since I had to run a brush down there, however I had to fill and drain with ISO a few times to run everything through and out. Once it was dry I set EVO to max and let it get good and hot both right side-up and upside down, and I pulled a lot of air through it trying to sense any smells, but it appears all is well . . . :)

Wise move! Definitely important to recognize when you're powerless.

I'd love a slower, more easier-to-see video demo (or pictures) on loading the VapeXNail.
I especially don't want to overload it now - and I know my friends will want to!

DubCRider

My unit got the squirts today and I did almost the same thing as t-dub. It was on max and I carelessly blackened a wad of paper towel and instantly thought my vapor path was compromised. I also did the "burn both ways" but found leaving it in my piece didn't work. I found a cup from an A's game and flipped it upside down inside and the air being able to pass through and vent worked wonders. I did two full cycles on max both directions and now there is no more phantom vapor from the globs of reclaim.

This was caused by overloading the VXNails. I really like the way it nearly fractionally distillates a large load. First hit is flavor town, second is mind numbing with good flavor, third tastes like a normal dab, and fourth starts to have that "pen taste". I feel as the nail heats up it's vaping different cannabinoids. The last rip is all the funk/reclaim. It makes sense that the pen taste is reclaim taste soley because the pens never Vape everything you put on them. Every subsequent hit after a load tastes worse and worse because you are vaping residuals of the last hit.

I suggest everyone try a small dab and a larger load to see the difference for themselves.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Wise move! Definitely important to recognize when you're powerless. I'd love a slower, more easier-to-see video demo (or pictures) on loading the VapeXNail.
I especially don't want to overload it now - and I know my friends will want to!
Yeah I was ripped to the gills when I did that . :ko: . better to walk away and clean another day. The final version of the nail shouldn't be as messy as the prototype is my understanding.

Dr. Plutonious

Ugggggh. Moved back to the States today (at least for the time being) and had to leave my glass with a friend in Canada. The EVO will sadly be out of use until I can get to a headshop for a cheap piece of 18mm glass...and a better vaping location. This will be painfullll.

goofygreen

I believe we had mentioned it in a previous post but it is worth re-iterating. All 220 EVO owners are recommended to stop using their units until their replacements arrive. If you do choose to use your unit, please do not leave it unattended and make sure you turn it off and unplug it after usage.

I wasn't trying to cause stress or anything; my memory can be somewhat foggy sometimes... I was just concerned if some people, especially outside of fc, didn't understand the seriousness of this problem. I never would have left the house with it on, but I had started to feel safe leaving it on green for short periods of time. Didn't have it plugged into any meters so I can't give any real data.
My problems seemed to happen most often when I wanted to turn the temp down but not only then obviously. Almost every time it happened though, it would happen multiple times. For example, if it was overheating and I knew it was way too hot, I would toggle it but it would stay red. Usually when I finally got it to go green, I would turn the temp down a bit because it was really hot, but then it would stay red again.
Surprisingly my bamboo still passes the blow test. Not that I'm even going to plug it in again. If I lightly move the bamboo it sounds as if I could easily twist it in half using chopsticks lol.
I will wait "patiently" to taste that sweet vapor once again but no more false promises please.

Kenzie

I finally got my EVO and i made sure it was a 110V so it didnt have the bamboo overheat issues the 220V had, but i just plugged it in to do a burn off and the bamboo went to glowing red and i have only been able to get it to go green once. I am using a very good step down converter and also asked the guys at VapeXhale to check my unit re-check my unit before sending it . I am so gutted i waited almost 3 weeks for it to get here now i am going to have to send it back (at my expense form Australia) and pay for the repair (they said it would void my warranty to use a step down converter even tho they have sent a free step down converter and 110V model to anyone with a 220V model) and i will still be out of an evo for about 6 weeks ( 3 weeks either way). I am so disappointed that it has cost me this much money to put myself out this much on what is supposed to be the standard in vapes at the moment. Man i cant be botherwed with this first i bought a Mobuis matrix ion and clear and both had bent necks and now this. The needs to be a standard and quality control in this industry or we are just doomed to move form failure to failure.

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I finally got my EVO and i made sure it was a 110V so it didnt have the bamboo overheat issues the 220V had, but i just plugged it in to do a burn off and the bamboo went to glowing red and i have only been able to get it to go green once. I am using a very good step down converter and also asked the guys at VapeXhale to check my unit re-check my unit before sending it . I am so gutted i waited almost 3 weeks for it to get here now i am going to have to send it back (at my expense form Australia) and pay for the repair (they said it would void my warranty to use a step down converter even tho they have sent a free step down converter and 110V model to anyone with a 220V model) and i will still be out of an evo for about 6 weeks ( 3 weeks either way). I am so disappointed that it has cost me this much money to put myself out this much on what is supposed to be the standard in vapes at the moment. Man i cant be botherwed with this first i bought a Mobuis matrix ion and clear and both had bent necks and now this. The needs to be a standard and quality control in this industry or we are just doomed to move form failure to failure.

This is an oversight by the support team. Your unit will be repaired at our cost. As a matter of fact, save the shipping money and keep the unit as a paperweight. Sorry for the miscommunication, we will take care of you at our expense. At our request, our engineering firm tested several converters and discovered the issue had more to do with the frequency than the voltage. We had all previously assumed that the 110 would work in 220/240 regions with a converter but upon further testing that it was not. The good news is that despite the discovery of the frequency issue with the converter, in parallel, they have continued to update and test our international units and are getting very close to a solution, just more testing needs to be done before they will give the green light.

Last edited:

JoeKickass

I had an idea SM, I'm sure your engineers thought of it too, but I wondered if varying wall voltage could be the reason why evos go bad at one location and then work fine when you test them at your lab?

Ask the engis to test with worst case power supplies, like a square wave at a low 90V or high 130V ac, something really unusual. I know it would be nice to have our power all 110V but it always measures differently wherever I live lol.

EDIT: Oh frequency is the problem? Geeze... why can't power just be power? :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom