• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Vapes on Planes - Traveling With Vaporizers

Hi,
I've been wandering what the deal is with taking your portable vaporizer with you on holiday is?
As it'll be covered in resin... and you just can't realistically get it all off.. so where does that leave you in standing with the law - If sniffer dogs flagged up your bag as they smelt weed on your vaporizer?

Also, similar to the above - could you get arrested for just having a vaporizer that had previously been used for weed (still coated)?
So far i've just been using a desktop unit at home, but these are things to consider now that i'm going to get a portable.

T

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Flying with a vaporizer is foolish. You might do it once and get away with it, and you might not the next time.

As it'll be covered in resin... and you just can't realistically get it all off..

Yes, that is a very safe assumption for most vaporizers

If sniffer dogs flagged up your bag as they smelt weed on your vaporizer?

There are two types of dogs employed in airports - bomb sniffing dogs, and drug sniffing dogs. I don't know if there are any cross trained, but if it's a bomb sniffing dog, you're fine. If it's a drug sniffing dog, you're F'd

Always assume a dog can smell 100% of any odors that exist. If your vaporizer has odors, assume a dog will find them.

Also, similar to the above - could you get arrested for just having a vaporizer that had previously been used for weed (still coated)?

That really depends on where you get caught, what else you have in your luggage, who you are, etc. Always take the assumption anything will be confiscated at the very least, and at the worst you will be thrown in jail if they don't like you (or in some parts of the world they may arrest you simply to blackmail you for money before they will let you free).

Have people flown with vapes before? Sure. Does that mean you can fly with a vaporizer? Unknown.

Remember, most all vaporizers stink, you can clean and replace some parts. But there will still be an odor even if you can't smell it.

Squiby

If you want to take a vape with you on a trip consider buying an OG Vapcap. It is inexpensive a $35 and performance wise rivals vapes many many times its cost.

You have two options. You can clean it; the entire thing is glass, comes apart and can be soaked and cleaned completely. Or you can leave it behind when you return. The price allows it to be a considered a disposable vape.

Rebelistic

I'm interested in this. I recently went to Amsterdam and back with my mighty via ferry from the UK. I didn't take any herb accross borders but the mighty is full of reclaim. My understanding is that cannabis posession is illegal, being a cannabis consumer is not. If customs had searched me and found the mighty I figure they'd have to quantify the amount of cannabis reclaim on it and attempt to prosecute me for that.
Travelling on a plane would make me far more nervous as a person + bag is much easier to search than a car.
Being caught would be a big pain in the arse (probably literally) but I doubt could actaully result in prossecution as quantity of cannabis would be so small?

I'm not suggesting anyone follows what I do/did or takes any chances.

As a rule I never travel with cannabis as the penalties could be harsh however I think the risk must be very low. I assume that a sniffer dog trained to sniff for cannabis would go crazy if it went anywhere near me or my car regardless or weather I actually had any cannabis with me at the time? Ie. I have never encountered a cannabis sniffer dog ever in all my travels?

Maybe in the US it's different? Are people who use cannabis often searched just because they smell like cannabis to sniffer dogs? Is this a form of harrassment if the person is a legal user?

Rebelistic,

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Search for a thread called vapes on a plane ... you will find lots of info there. Lots of people here on fc do it ... personally i wouldn't risk it and would rather combust at my destination. Or you could mail a vape there?

VapourHaze,

grokit

well-worn member
If a vape is reasonably clean and you're flying domestic, vapes (herbal aromatherapy devices) are not much of a risk. Otoh weed definitely is, more so in illegal states. If flying international, just fortgettaboutit.

grokit,
Reactions: t-dub

bluenavey00

Arizer Air Aficionado
Hi,
I've been wandering what the deal is with taking your portable vaporizer with you on holiday is?
As it'll be covered in resin... and you just can't realistically get it all off.. so where does that leave you in standing with the law - If sniffer dogs flagged up your bag as they smelt weed on your vaporizer?

So far i've just been using a desktop unit at home, but these are things to consider now that i'm going to get a portable.

T

Differs per vape and per country.

I took a Arizer Air from a London airport to Amsterdam and back. I brought some ISO with me in hand luggage in a 100ml airline approved liquid bottle. The vape was heavily used, in the airport bathroom on the way back I let it sit in the ISO for 5 mins, shook it, rinsed it out and took it home with no issue. I traveled without any herb of any kind. I actually asked a friend with some tobacco if i could use the pouch to place with the vape, and also caped a stem full of tobacco.

bluenavey00,

George1151

Leaving in a week or so on a trip to Mexico from Canada that involves a layover in the US. I plan on taking my Haze vape a grinder and accessories but no cannabis. None of the items I will be taking are new and I will clean them all as best I can. Will I encounter any problems?

What have others experiences been doing something similar. I know last year when I landed in the same airport in Mexico (Huatulco) that there were sniffer dogs checking all the incoming passengers for drugs and they gave me a very good sniff and seemed to hang around me until their handlers yanked them away to go somewhere else without saying anything to me. I did not have any vape or accessories with me but my carry on pack had been holding small amounts of cannabis over the years. I pre-clear customs in Canada for the US but then go through 2 other airports in the US including an overnight in Houston.

Will I encounter any problems? Should I re-think my plan?

Thanks

George1151,

Justpassedu

Do a search , there is a thread around the forum specifically about this. You should not encounter problems if everything is clean nor can they do anything but honestly you never know what can happen.

Justpassedu,
Reactions: DDave

Blackfriars

Connoisseur of cannabis
Last edited:
Blackfriars,

George1151

No not practical at all to ship before. Need to add that when I return it will be the same, Huatulco to Canada layover in US (customs in Houston, go through TSA again in Houston).

@Justpassedu I have looked at that thread but nothing has been written in a while and things can change.

@Blackfriars thanks for the input and the link although the link is about how to best take drugs through an airport and I am definitely not taking even a flake with me. Easy to get once I am there but I really don't want to combust unless there is no other option.

George1151,

Justpassedu

No not practical at all to ship before. Need to add that when I return it will be the same, Huatulco to Canada layover in US (customs in Houston, go through TSA again in Houston).

@Justpassedu I have looked at that thread but nothing has been written in a while and things can change.

@Blackfriars thanks for the input and the link although the link is about how to best take drugs through an airport and I am definitely not taking even a flake with me. Easy to get once I am there but I really don't want to combust unless there is no other option.
Sorry George but this is really a question no one can answer , if your gonna do it , best bet is just make sure you clean spotless , they cant arrest you for it having a faint smell but they can delay you, there mostly looking for bombs and large amounts of drugs. I honestly think if they even found a gram not much would happen but honestly i don't know. Best of luck

Justpassedu,

TwistedGray

Do not ship anything to Mexico, too expensive and risky that you'll actually get your package. We're always shipping stuff to wife's family and rarely does anything make it...we're talking non-elicit substances.

I fly with my vape in my carry-on (generally speaking I believe you have to). With everything that can be cleaned, I clean it just by boiling water and submerging it. That translates to stems and grinder...no issues.

You'll be fine.

TwistedGray,
Reactions: grokit

hinglemccringleberry

I would be afraid to do that on a flight in Mexico. Not saying it's guaranteed anything would happen over an empty vape, but I wouldn't feel confident about it just b/c of how criminalized weed is there. I flew from California to Oregon and back with my Alfa (empty and cleaned) in my carryon and nothing happened. Domestic USA flights are fine. But the plan was if they were going to hassle me I was going to tell them it was an e-cig. Lolz.

Last edited:
hinglemccringleberry,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
The haze will still retain a smell if it has been used. I know you can clean it thoroughly, but it will still smell. You will have no problems leaving the country with the vaporizer - it's relatively easy to move around with a vape.

The only problem will be re-entering the country with the vaporizer. You can either take a risk and carry the vape in an airtight container (risky move but may be doable), or you can ship it back to yourself via the mail (also risky, but maybe less so).

Domestic flights are no problem for me, but for international flights, I always like to dispose of my vapes and related equipment before boarding the plane back home ;)

virtualpurple

The smartest solution in my mind is a vapcap. The OG model is cheap as all get-out, can be easily cleaned with ISO, and can be pocketed while out and about even filled with loose leaf tobacco to maintain appearances. Prior to returning it can either be cleaned or tossed!

Smokelessoz1990

Hello all, I am about to fly to the UK from Australia, with a stop over at Singapore. Will taking a brand spaking new never used vaporgenie coil be a problem. I understand that e-cigarettes and such are completely banned in singapore but cannot find out if this ban applies to dry herb vapes too.

Smokelessoz1990,

u bwade wunner

Hello all, I am about to fly to the UK from Australia, with a stop over at Singapore. Will taking a brand spaking new never used vaporgenie coil be a problem. I understand that e-cigarettes and such are completely banned in singapore but cannot find out if this ban applies to dry herb vapes too.

I think they are more worried about lighters exploding under pressure or ecig batteries going on fire in the hold to be honest.i doubt they would even know what to do with a coil,if they found one,being honest.

I have flown many times from Brisbane to London.most recent trip was last october with my TI vapcap.the coil is a good bet and i have done it a number of times.it never raised suspicion.just make sure its spotless and put it in your hold bag with some pipe tobacco.empty your jet lighter of fuel before flying..there are notices now at check ins that mention all lighters are forbidden in hold luggage.
better still, buy a lighter when you get to london..most tourist shops sell cheap jet lighters now.

Before your flight home,make sure you iso or acetone everything ,put in a new screen or torch a used coil screen red hot with a tweezers to clean it at least.

Thats the easy part though.that 22 hour flight can be a test for anyones sanity;)
My tip is to Stretch your legs midflight and wander down to the goodies bar at the back of plane.free drinks and snacks with passengers and the cute SA hostesses sure help the time pass quick.

I take a TI vapcap with me now.its easier,more discreet out and about and i find flavour is superior.only issue is i have to remove the vapcap orings before iso soak for the flight.they seem to swell in iso if you soak them too long making them unusable.

You cant go wrong with the coil though.good times..enjoy your trip:tup:

Last edited:

Smokelessoz1990

It's more that vaporizing itself is illegal in singapore but any research turns up just the ecig types and no mention of dry herb vapes. My concern actually has nothing to do with flying with a new vape and everything to do with stopping over in singapore to change flights with said vape. Very much appreciate the reply though. I actually plan to leave the coil behind with some friends who smoke. :)

Smokelessoz1990,

u bwade wunner

No probs bud...nah,i wouldnt worry.imho the vaporizer airlines mention is a chinese lithium ion ecig device.
there was a case of an ecig battery blowing up on a plane that started airlines clamping down.

I don t normally get to see my bags in Singapore when i fly out from australia..they go straight through to the connecting flight to london.when you fly out from australia,the check in person will ask You "do you want your bags to go straight through?"and You could reply Yes .

what you own though is an aromatherapy device......either that,or that your hobby is collecting springs and bits of lava rock to any suspectiing Sir :)

I got stopped a few years ago at nadi airport scanners in fiji enroute to the states with a standard ego tank ecig device.When questioned about the device..i got to blow nice clouds over the scanner equipment filled that little area right up...the 3 female security guards were highly amused as was i and all the passengers behind me. and they quickly let me through.they had never seen an ecig before.thats changed i bet.I quit ecigs and mods shortly after though after the fad for me wore off.My teeth started to get loose vaping particulary VG juice so i quit ecigs and my health improved considerably.as for herbal vaping...5 years smoke free.i cant do smoke now.:)anyway too easy,tc

Last edited:

Smokelessoz1990

Very true. I actually have yet to touch weed with a vaporizer. Last time I tried weed was over 2 years ago. Always when someone else had it. Open to the idea again now that I have found vaping, but so far it's just the legal herbs. In england with my friends, who knows. :)

nomadicsoul34

Do not ..i repeat do not attempt to.take drugs in to Thailand. I've lived there my wife is Thai and I speak the language. I'm very famiar with the country.
You are risking hell, pure hell for a smoke on the other side , if you are prepared to gamble your life for a smoke you need to think about your dependency issues. This is no longer a little relaxation for you . The officers have zero tolerance and you cannot relate or negotiate with customs there.
Go to Pai in the north and be very very very cautious. Only buy from people recommended by other tourists. Do not trust the Thais on this issue. or just go to Cambodia where it's everywhere even sold in restaurants on pizzas

Top Bottom