Vapes on Planes - Traveling With Vaporizers

Trev

Heading to Amsterdam from the UK next weekend, going to take an unused flowermate with me, sounds like best thing is to just have it in hand luggage and put the stem and other bits in hold luggage. I'll be leaving it there so no concerns bringing it back.

Drexciya

Homage to the Deepsea Dwellers
It can't be a problem. We flew back and forth between Amsterdam and Bristol with a used smelly haze dual and not a single question was asked. We did keep some mint next to it as to have a a troy ready when questions were being asked.

Drexciya,
Reactions: Trev

FluffMolotov

Having travelled frequently with vapes I can recommend that; considering the amount of built up residue on the inside of most models that I've hacked into (Arizers, Flowermates, Davincis, S&B's), one should really not attempt to embark prior to a full teardown and immersion (where possible) of all components in an applicable solvent. I give my travel companion a full (couple hours sometimes) session of dismantle and careful cleaning of everything, mostly with ISO but in certain cases Acetone (Glass, Steel, circuit board components) NB melts certain plastics/polymers. Still I'd bet on positive detection by an aptly trained pooch, but worst case scenario the relevant inspectors won't find ample levels of actives in my devices...

FluffMolotov,

YungLeaner

Having travelled frequently with vapes I can recommend that; considering the amount of built up residue on the inside of most models that I've hacked into (Arizers, Flowermates, Davincis, S&B's), one should really not attempt to embark prior to a full teardown and immersion (where possible) of all components in an applicable solvent. I give my travel companion a full (couple hours sometimes) session of dismantle and careful cleaning of everything, mostly with ISO but in certain cases Acetone (Glass, Steel, circuit board components) NB melts certain plastics/polymers. Still I'd bet on positive detection by an aptly trained pooch, but worst case scenario the relevant inspectors won't find ample levels of actives in my devices...
TSA dogs on flights within American mainland borders are only sniffing for explosives. This is a fact and they are not trained to find even a pound of weed, let alone device residue. I'm all for being careful but I've had a Volcano that was encrusted with bits of ABV get swabbed at security and then let through once it was clear it wasn't a bomb. Paranoia births fear

MinnBobber

TSA dogs on flights within American mainland borders are only sniffing for explosives. This is a fact and they are not trained to find even a pound of weed, let alone device residue
Certainly the vast majority of airport dogs are sniffing for explosives BUT it's my understanding that there are still some drug sniffers. Be careful out there

FluffMolotov

Maybe I should have appended that I mainly travel within Europe, and whilst catching explosives is the priority - certain quotas still need to be met. Prohibition is a true mindfuck.

FluffMolotov,
Reactions: bounce5

YungLeaner

Yeah, within Europe is a different ballgame. I've never heard of a drug dog within the continental United States, I travel quite a lot with meds and have walked past numerous dogs. But it's all about the safety!! Obviously don't take any risks you aren't comfortable with, because acting sketchy in an airport is probably more dangerous than having drugs in an airport

George1151

I flew to Mexico (Huatulco) last month without any vaping stuff and when I landed was greeted by a sniffer dog who singled me out. Security just had me open my bag and didn't even search it. I thought Mexico would be checking for drugs when leaving not arriving although I guess Mexico is a main entry point for drugs smuggled into the US.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I flew to Mexico (Huatulco) last month without any vaping stuff and when I landed was greeted by a sniffer dog who singled me out. Security just had me open my bag and didn't even search it. I thought Mexico would be checking for drugs when leaving not arriving although I guess Mexico is a main entry point for drugs smuggled into the US.

I think there and some other Central American/Caribbean places they like to hassle tourists sometimes. More of a show to all they are taking care of business, but probably also motivated by the possibility of huge fines they know you will come up with from home if they put you in one of their 3rd world cells with God only knows what types of real criminals.

Lesson to all.... don't mess around down there. Make sure anything you take in is spotless clean and could pass for something else (like some sort of ecig). Plan on leaving whatever device you take, or KNOW you can clean it spotless before bringing it back. Get what you need while you're there and don't try to bring any of it back. I traded about 1/4 and all sorts of beer/liquor from our room for souvenirs and trinkets in Jamaica and have done similar in Mexico. Just find the guys that are peddling what you have and what you want.

There are plenty of stories of people taking in and bringing back all sorts of shit, and some may even be true. But, probably not a good idea to press your luck because if you do get snagged it could get pretty ugly pretty quickly. Not worth spending a few days in a cell with local gangsters while waiting to call home to plead for money and for it to finally get there.

Maitri

Deadhead, Low-Temp Dabber, Mahayana Buddhist
Just a quick FYI to let you know that I flew from Seattle WA yesterday with a dozen 60mg cookies with no trace of trouble whatsoever. Yay. :)

purebliss

There's currently a bill that aims to disallow taking any form of electronic cigarettes onto an airplane, including carry-on and personal luggage . . .. ugh!

purebliss,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
There's currently a bill that aims to disallow taking any form of electronic cigarettes onto an airplane, including carry-on and personal luggage . . .. ugh!

But aren't we still allowed to carry one disposable butane lighter on the plane with us? hmmm, makes sense!

aesthyrian,

galacticdad

I just successfully flew to AZ and then drove across Texas with my Mighty. Texas was much scarier than the airport - the border patrol had a dog circle our truck while they questioned our citizenship! I think I was more lucky than anything, but I feel pretty safe flying with vapes as long as they are mostly clean..

Texas is absolutely scarier than the airport, especially the checkpoint on I-10 E around Sierra Blanca, TX. That's got to be the worst checkpoint in the Southwest, much more intense than the one in between Las Cruces and the AZ/NM border and the one in the mountains on I-8 W. This checkpoint is infamous for the number of high-profile musicians they've busted.

Bad Ocelot

Do any of you guys know if some airlines (in the Continental US) are better or worse with regard to vape/e-cig stuff? I'm taking a trip this summer & am planning on bringing some vape gear. All the stuff I'm planning on bringing is mod based, so totally looks like an e-cig. But I keep hearing different things about what can go in carry-on & what has to be checked.

I'll probably bring a couple box mods & numerous 18650s as I'll be camping. I'm not going to be carrying any vaporizables and of course I'm going to give everything a thorough cleaning so I'm not so much worried about that. I just really don't want to have to ditch some batteries or mods in an airport waste bin because they aren't allowed.

Bad Ocelot,

YungLeaner

Do any of you guys know if some airlines (in the Continental US) are better or worse with regard to vape/e-cig stuff? I'm taking a trip this summer & am planning on bringing some vape gear. All the stuff I'm planning on bringing is mod based, so totally looks like an e-cig. But I keep hearing different things about what can go in carry-on & what has to be checked.

I'll probably bring a couple box mods & numerous 18650s as I'll be camping. I'm not going to be carrying any vaporizables and of course I'm going to give everything a thorough cleaning so I'm not so much worried about that. I just really don't want to have to ditch some batteries or mods in an airport waste bin because they aren't allowed.
The airline shouldn't matter because it's all TSA. It's possible specific airports are worse but in my experience you can put whatever you want in a carry on. Seriously, vapes, weed, I could probably bring an ounce of coke if I was that type of person. I wouldn't worry about it. If pressed on the batteries, say they're for a camera. The TSA employees really give no fucks in my experience unless it's a sharp weapon or liquid over 2oz

waxdab23

Next month we'll be flying from Los Angeles to Miami, then cruising to the Cayman Islands.

Any tips?

I'm thinking...forget about flower - bring concentrate only (less odor, more compact).

Perhaps prefilled but I'm afraid those just won't get me to where I need to be.

So I'm thinking to pack a bunch of wax/shatter and take a pen with some fresh coils.

It's it generally easier to pack these things in a Carry On or in a Checked bag?

How about diversion safes? Are those effective at all in these situations?

ktmstick

Hi everyone, 1st post here. Travelled to Thailand (still here) from UK 10 days ago and brought with me my plenty vape. I cleaned it and had it boxed in original packaging with instructions etc. I also put a couple of bottles of e liquid in just as a diversion. This was in my checked suitcase for the hold. I was not overly worried about the vape. I was more worried about the 2g of green in my wash bag. I ground it fine, bagged it then wrapped in plastic and taped up. I then washed the "package" and did another layer of plastic and tape and washed again. I then took a tub of antiseptic cream and pushed the package to the bottom and smoothed the surface. I have used this method multiple times with different commodities. My thoughts are they aren't looking for this sort of thing in a suitcase maybe a couple of kilos but not a couple of grams. I feel I could skip the hiding in a tub option but id rather it be overly hidden then under hidden.

ktmstick,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I don't feel it's safe, especially on an international flight. So I say...

I'm tired of these mothereffin vapes on mothereffin planes!

iu

I just recently took a vacation via plane. I took about 2 grams of wax, my Dr. Dabber Aura wax pen, and my Dynavap. I hid the wax in a small wax container and placed it in the change part of my swimming trunks. I left both vaporizers in plain sight and put everything in a large checked suitcase that had most of my wife and my own belongings with no problem. I actually got really bold on the return flight as the only wax I had remaining was in my pen and actually carried it in my pocket, put it through the x-ray machine with everything else in my pocket, and actually hit it a couple times while in the airport. Looking back I would do it all over again with the exception of vaping in the airport because that was just an unnecessary risk that I did not have to take. I was just so shocked how smoothly everything went :ninja:. I also noticed that there was a smell coming from my suitcase when i opened it so i would also find a more discreet wax container in the future. I was afraid to take any actual buds but as stated before I just think with all of the people who travel in and out of an airport on the daily basis it would be virtually impossible for them to have a system in place to catch people who may be carrying small quantities.

MoneyVapeTheWorldGoRound,
Reactions: friedrich

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Wow, kinda scarry re the thailand story.... sure as fuck would not want to be in a thai jail for something so mundane, from all I understand they do not take lightly to mj.

Just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt, but IMO your taped up bundle of fine ground is a HUGE red flag. The way you have it packaged may not alert any dogs because of lack of smell, but you are totally fucked if you have a competent screener reading the xray machine. [I do realize this is rare but should still be top of mind].

On xray, your smellproof ground baggie will look identical to a bundle of coke wrapped and taped... ive seen foreign securities cut through luggage thinking there was a false bottom and have little doubt they would hesitate to check your cream if they noted the xray.

Congratulations for not ending up in jail. Please dont encourage others to use this packing method like it is sound advice. It may not be next time, it may not ever even happen to you, but with time i am certain this method will fail.

Last edited:

ktmstick

Thanks for the warnings everyone, and I agree I do not recommend this, this is my own choice. I feel the risk is less than the risk of asking the wrong person in Thailand. I am just informing of what is possible. This is my 4th time doing this. Been to France twice, iceland and now Thailand. A friend did this option to the states! Going to Mauritius is October for my sisters wedding and will be doing the same, but will be taking my new mighty (waiting on me getting home) not my plenty.

2g finely ground is a tiny package, in a wash bag - packed full of bottles, creams etc, in a suitcase - packed full of clothes, laptop, charger, shoes etc. There is no way an x Rayer is gonna pick it out. They are looking for bombs and big packages. Just my opinion, but I feel is tried and tested.

ktmstick,
Top Bottom