Vape Carts Health Crisis Megathread

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I've been trying to my good brother but I decarb'd some bud friday and tasted a tiny bit and woke up at 3 am heavily tripping.......lol. The psychoactive effects of delta 11 are so powerful it's something I don't really enjoy as much

Tinctures are still delta-9-THC as long as you do sublingual administration; it has to go through the liver to convert to 11-hydroxy-THC.

Tranquility

While there may be a physical cause in the juice, I suspect the main reason will be the user profile. Blowing clouds all day is not going to be healthy, no matter what you're vaping. This is probably going to be very dose related as there have been millions of carts that have not caused such a reaction--some of which probably contained the same stuff.

The real issue from now on will be regulation. I hear many call for the carts being regulated. I also remember the fear when vapes in general were going to be regulated. There is NO "safe" vaping. There is no study to say it is safe. There can be pretty dire regulations on most vapes if proving they are safe is a part of the equation. You might as well buy your favorites now--especially from smaller manufacturers. I don't see how they can survive the coming regulations.

Squiby

I'm not surprised in the least. I've never understood why people use those highly questionable, highly processed products with unknown ingredients and happily inhale the vapor. What's the draw? I only consume home grown cannabis. No adulterants. None needed. The natural approach, I feel, is always the better choice.

little maggie

Again these are related to the deaths I mentioned above. The local paper reported that they also contain caffeine. I think it's easy to avoid all this by buying the cannabis itself instead of buying a pen with cannabis preinstalled.

So far all the research I've seen about contaminants is about the preinstalled vape pens instead of products from a dispensary. Not sure about edibles but there have been no health problems reported so far from them.

The Rapeseed plant claims another victory. Vitamin E acetate comes from (most commonly) Canola Oil (which is made from the rapeseed plant).

As far as I am concerned it's not suitable for consumption, must less vaporizing.

I can see how it would have been easy to sell claiming, "Hey, it's Vitamin E. It's good for you".

The people inhaling it usually had no idea what it was. They were told it was safe. And, up until recently, they were. What is sad is the people making the carts. They should have known better.

But, it's not called oil. It's called acetate. Vitamin E acetate. Sounds pretty harmless. Especially if your thinking is all blurred by greed.

I've always said it, Greed is the worst sin. (Lust is my favorite). ;)

EDIT: You may have said more than a mouthful. Vaping oil of any kind is probably not great. And, isn't vaping any dabs or rosin or whatever doing just that. Vaping oil? Hmmmmm???

escierdanyc

I've always felt like a hypochondriac because I never trusted concentrates, electronic vapes made by slave labor, and non-organic flowers.

I became especially skeptical of cartridges when I tried one and it tasted like candy. I realize that some asshole somewhere thought it would be cool to make the vapes taste good to get people hooked.

walkma666

Well, on the other hand, a lot of alcohol and even edibles can be made to taste good, too. And I'd still bet most carts are legit, in the aggregatr. Yet, for now, the prudent thing is to wait till this gets, or doesn't get, settled. I'm not ready to conclude this method can't work safely.

darbarikanada

the findings are preliminary; the culprit might be something else, or a combination of factors. I read in the coverage of this that vaporized oils can revert back to oil when they cool - and that oil in the lungs is very bad juju. this makes sense to me (non-scientist that I am...). I imagine the lungs are capable of purging a certain amount of just about anything (except asbestos fibers?), so maybe the common denominator with these cases is heavy oil vaping. hopefully they'll figure it out ASAP. just my $.02...

hafalump

All I know is in Massachusetts, where flower is already limited, I see 1/8 ths going towards $70.
I think concentrates suck, hopefully there will be more once they stop putting into these garbage carts.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
NYS published these photos of cartridges they believe are causing issues https://www.flickr.com/photos/nysdoh/sets/72157710703391248/

Anything using Trademarked names, images, and brands is blatantly counterfeit.

Anyone who voluntarily inhales an oil product, regardless of its source, isn't quite thinking clearly.

And, isn't vaping any dabs or rosin or whatever doing just that. Vaping oil? Hmmmmm???

I hate to break it to you guys but you're vaporizing the same oils when you vape flower...

Where do you think the "rosin" comes from? Those glandular trichome heads are chock full of oils.

Nobody is avoiding oils by vaporizing flower. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, I am thinking the concentration of 'oil' is more with rosin/bho than with flowers. Maybe not. I was just speculating.

Hackerman,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
However, I am thinking the concentration of 'oil' is more with rosin/bho than with flowers. Maybe not. I was just speculating.

100% of BHO or Rosin oils comes from flower.

Keep in mind that it's only "concentrated" when you compare equivalent doses/weights.
You should only need about ~20% of the dose in concentrate form compared to flower.

little maggie

The information about prohibition states is inaccurate. The most recent death occurred in Oregon and he used a vape pen he bought at a local dispensary. They haven't shared the dispensary yet. Or more importantly which company made the pen. It looks exactly like the disposable one I bought when trying a pen a few years ago. Glad I've stayed with flowers.
Most people here make their own alternatives to flowers which is much safer.

Top Bottom