VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

That's an interesting idea but I think once the preferred heat is set up, you will likely never use the switch. The current isn't a huge issue as it will never be switched while the current is flowing, thus protecting the contacts from arcs. A 2-3 amp hard switch should be fine. The switch should be as close as possible to the cap though as we are dealing with high frequencies and too much wire will introduce other issues. :science:
A few questions:
1. Where can I buy a hotshot pipes?
2. Do you ship to Ontario, Canada?
3. Whats the price?
4. Whats shipping cost?
5. Where are you shipping from?

lifeisgoodnow,

webtroter

A few questions:
1. Where can I buy a hotshot pipes?
2. Do you ship to Ontario, Canada?
3. Whats the price?
4. Whats shipping cost?
5. Where are you shipping from?
Most of that is answered in the google docs FAQ.

But Pipes is from Ontario IIRC. So that answers two of your questions :)

It's really a no brainer. Just buy pipes' IH.

webtroter,

webtroter

I did and it still won't charge. Looks like it's broken. Fuck.
Check the output voltage of the charger. It needs to be ONLY 5V, 1A to 2A.
If it says 5V and 9V (or more alternative voltages) it will not work.

@Pipes , do you know what is the minimum charge current? Can we plug the hotshot in a PC and have it charge?

In my opinion, a little bit more R&D to use USB-PD would have been better.

Last edited:
webtroter,

webtroter

The charger cuts off at 1.5 amps @webtroter . Mine runs about 2-1/2 amps on the initial charge. Voltage drops down a couple of volts. That is where other chargers are failing to start for me.
That doesn't sound like a USB charger... Or am I forgetting something or not understanding?

webtroter,

almost there

I did and it still won't charge. Looks like it's broken. Fuck.
When I got my HS the usb charge port wasn't aligned so when I plugged in the usb cord it wasn't making the perfect connection, the port didn't get noticeably warm as it should and the plug kept falling off. Second time I tried to charge, the usb plug pushed the charge port right off the pcb board. Make sure the charge port is aligned with the hole and you're making proper connection.

Sorry, to hear about this. If all else fails pm Pipes if you haven't done so already. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
When I got my HS the usb charge port wasn't aligned so when I plugged in the usb cord it wasn't making the perfect connection and the port didn't get noticeably warm as it should and the plug kept falling off. Second time I tried to charge,the usb plug pushed the charge port right off the pcb board. Make sure the charge port is aligned with the hole and you're making proper connection.

Sorry, to hear about this. If all else fails pm Pipes if you haven't done so already.
Yup. Same exact thing happened to me soon after I received mine (I believe I was one of the first, in the states anyway...) many weeks ago. If it's not perfectly aligned and you're not sure what to do, contact the man... mine had another small issue a short while later but all is performing perfectly now... blows the '21 Alpine outta the water! The only thing good about the Alpine is that it's knockover-proof (and quick to charge, I guess, but that usually means you're gonna use it... :shit:)

TommyDee

Vaporitor
That doesn't sound like a USB charger... Or am I forgetting something or not understanding?
The charge circuit that Pipes chose requires a higher input than normal USB. I have a small meter on the output of my USB charger so I can keep track of both voltage and current. It is very consistent cutting off charging when it reaches 1-1/2 amps. The intended chargers are high output wall warts. This is the reason a charger is being offered with the HotShot now so we don't have to find something compatible.

doctapeppa

The charge circuit that Pipes chose requires a higher input than normal USB. I have a small meter on the output of my USB charger so I can keep track of both voltage and current. It is very consistent cutting off charging when it reaches 1-1/2 amps. The intended chargers are high output wall warts. This is the reason a charger is being offered with the HotShot now so we don't have to find something compatible.
You got a link to this meter/charger or one like it? My VAS extends to tools and gadgets too.

webtroter

bener

Vapeologist
I signed up on the waiting list with # 69 lol
I am definitely happy with mine. The only thing that I am not 100% pleased about is that I have had to reglue the magnet twice. I just ordered up some JB Weld. Previous attempts used Gorilla Glue, very sparingly.

Performance is on par with my AC powered Apollo2. I’m about to order two more for friends who tried mine and wanted their own.

if you don’t have a charger that you know would work correctly with the Hotshot, I would recommend getting one from @Pipes

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I got the magnet to stick with 2 layers of trim-tape straight to the internal capacitor. I pull caps and park the VC on it and it works great.

TommyDee,
Reactions: bener

bener

Vapeologist
I got the magnet to stick with 2 layers of trim-tape straight to the internal capacitor. I pull caps and park the VC on it and it works great.
Can you please tell us a bit more about the trim-tape and how to install it? I am not familiar with it.
Thanks!

bener,
Reactions: Bologna

SonicBacon

I’m not one to usually drop my vape gear but the Hotshot took a tumble off the porch railing, bounced down the steps and landed in the gravel driveway. The door was open at the time and remained intact, the only signs of damage is a single ding on one of the edges. I feel like I got lucky and dodged a bullet on that one.

I don’t recommend trying that but wanted to share that it is somewhat durable.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I’m not one to usually drop my vape gear but the Hotshot took a tumble off the porch railing, bounced down the steps and landed in the gravel driveway. The door was open at the time and remained intact, the only signs of damage is a single ding on one of the edges. I feel like I got lucky and dodged a bullet on that one.

I don’t recommend trying that but wanted to share that it is somewhat durable.

I'm not surprised. @Pipes' stuff stands the test of time.

No doubt if you did this with a PSM, it would have dented your steps.

Top Bottom