VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Can you please tell us a bit more about the trim-tape and how to install it? I am not familiar with it.
Thanks!
@Bologna nailed it. I use the gray stuff found in grocery store 'fixit' isle. Double sticky thick gum-style tape is trim tape. Remove whatever residue you can remove until you see the black plastic inside the HotShot. Stick the circular pair of tapes to the magnet and stick it in the hole.

Tip; open the battery cover and push the battery up while pushing the magnet to the capacitor (that is the black thing inside the hole).

bener

Vapeologist
@Bologna nailed it. I use the gray stuff found in grocery store 'fixit' isle. Double sticky thick gum-style tape is trim tape. Remove whatever residue you can remove until you see the black plastic inside the HotShot. Stick the circular pair of tapes to the magnet and stick it in the hole.

Tip; open the battery cover and push the battery up while pushing the magnet to the capacitor (that is the black thing inside the hole).
Thank you Tommy. I also have some JB Weld on the way. Decisions, decisions….

bener,
Reactions: TommyDee

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I didn't have to open the battery cover with mine. I just pushed on the cover a little bit. You don't want to push too hard, but there is a point where the cover will bend in a bit. This force is enough to move all the innards up a little bit.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
When I cleaned up the battery compartment, I had nearly 1/4" of clearance.
Pushing on the battery rather than the cover allowed me to make sure the charge port didn't slip past the hole in the case.
Of course, I pulled the whole unit apart and aligned things as best I could to achieve this;
20210329_200640.jpg

bener

Vapeologist
I got the JB Weld and used it for reattaching the magnet. Seems to be much better than my previous attempts with crazy a gorilla glue.

bener,
Reactions: Bologna

someTooL

My power supply (5amp) finally passed after ~18 months. I order a replacement from Amazon but it wouldn’t power on the caldron nor my bare bones kit. Only a quick flash then off.

Should I go with the now suggested 8amp? Will either of these work?

someTooL,

copilot

I built my first IH 3 years ago and it's worked great. Finally decided to make a portable one and went in a little different direction for fun and thought I'd share it here. This is "DeWUT?" - a DeWalt Battery-powered portable induction heater power tool. 3D printed with Volt/Amp meter and safety switch. I had a lot of DeWalt batteries so being able to swap them in and out is great... that along with the ergonomics of a trigger-based device when in full couch-lock mode.

webtroter

I built my first IH 3 years ago and it's worked great. Finally decided to make a portable one and went in a little different direction for fun and thought I'd share it here. This is "DeWUT?" - a DeWalt Battery-powered portable induction heater power tool. 3D printed with Volt/Amp meter and safety switch. I had a lot of DeWalt batteries so being able to swap them in and out is great... that along with the ergonomics of a trigger-based device when in full couch-lock mode.

Great stuff.

How hot is the stepdown while in use (and what are its spec?) ? and what power/current at the IH do you get ?

I'm planning a build with a very similar step-down to use USB-PD.

webtroter,

copilot

Great stuff.

How hot is the stepdown while in use (and what are its spec?) ? and what power/current at the IH do you get ?

I'm planning a build with a very similar step-down to use USB-PD.
Not hot in the slightest, but of course this thing is only heating for 8-10 seconds max before turning off again. That particular converter was made for sustained current in golf carts I think. I'm showing about 6 amps when heating.

maithaison.420

Ah, but there is...
Hi Pipes,

Why i cant use PM system to advise that i have joined the waitlist with number #69 ???

Kupoace

Mid Schwagger: The Last Rock'n'Rollah
Pipes' HotShot IH is an absolute dream to use. Compact, perfectly weighted, long lasting, and quick to charge! Even the colored LEDs make it really easy to set the pace of my heating and keep track of my timing. It makes using a Dynavap such a joy! It's all I ever use, until one day I'll get a cauldron! I use my own charger, and cord. The charger you can get from Pipes is great, but honestly I'd use my own cable instead and plug it into his charger. Any Qualcom QC or equivalent should work. 2 amp is what you need. An older charger/cable couldn't handle it so I switched it out from my nightstand. Totally worth it!

Shipping was quick, everything safely packaged, and I love the included case labeled with Pipes' name! Sweet!
Using The Hotshot with a Dynavap makes it such a quiet, reliable experience. Frees up your hands when not using a torch!
Thanks @Pipes you're a rockstar!

Last edited:

ncnc777

Just got my hotshot. Unfortunately, after an hour of charging it became almost too hot to touch. I got worried and disconnected it - now the switch does not work or light up at all. Any ideas for a fix? More specifically it gets really hot around the driver module capacitors.

Last edited:
ncnc777,

Kupoace

Mid Schwagger: The Last Rock'n'Rollah
Just got my hotshot. Unfortunately, after an hour of charging it became almost too hot to touch. I got worried and disconnected it - now the switch does not work or light up at all. Any ideas for a fix? More specifically it gets really hot around the driver module capacitors.
Are you using the included charger and usb cord? I had my own chargers and thicker more sturdy usb cords to use that I like more. The included usb cable felt warm and I just used my own stuff after that.
Edit: I also charge it standing up not laying flat.

Kupoace,
Reactions: paehtod

Texus

Hotshot IH gives me the same 4-5 hits per bowl I usually got with my single flame jet, but now the avb decarb is lighter in color. Awesome! Better for my decarb capsules

Have the heating and cooling down in the palm of my hand!

That ZAM Hotspot combo right!? Soo good when out and abou.

muxum722

Hey guys,

I got my HotShot this week and it’s been awesome! I’d like to be able to charge it on the go. Wouldn’t a small power bank like this one work well? Looks like the output is 5v/3a.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Hey guys,

I got my HotShot this week and it’s been awesome! I’d like to be able to charge it on the go. Wouldn’t a small power bank like this one work well? Looks like the output is 5v/3a.

That would probably work, but it's kinda small. I've never bought less than a 10,000mAh external battery.

Here's a low-price one I bought about a year ago that is still going strong:

61BII%2BKoNUL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

muxum722

That would probably work, but it's kinda small. I've never bought less than a 10,000mAh external battery.

Here's a low-price one I bought about a year ago that is still going strong:

61BII%2BKoNUL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Thank you, appreciate it!

muxum722,
Reactions: Ramahs
Top Bottom