VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Hey, thank for chiming in. I hope to be part of the Pipes family in the near future. Was looking at the Vape Hot box, but Pipes has stellar rating and leave little to chance. And great support when needed.

Once you own a @Pipes IH, the hardest, most difficult and time consuming activity is waiting for it to be delivered. After that it’s all smooth sailing. ;)

Ops, kind of new to the forum, I’ll eventually get it right.

MerryMarauder

Hey guys I have a question about using the caldron in the car with the car adapter. Do I have to connect to a fuse box, bc the faq portion says all this, "
Q: I want to use my Caldron in the car, what do I need?

A: The Caldron works on 12 volt DC so the easiest way is a 16 AWG wire directly to the fuse box. The wire can be ended with a 5.5x2.1mm plug. An 8-10 amp in-line fuse is recommended. Most cars accessory outlets should not be trusted as a bad connection at the tip contact can cause the tip to heat up and melt do to the 5 amp current draw. If one does try this method, (against my advice) a heavy-duty accessory plug with a heavy wire gauge is needed. And caution in ensuring good contact when pushing into the accessory outlet.", Do I have to do all this or can I just use the car adapter he sells or find my own.

Sorry for the dumb question, I don't know about limits on a car cig port.

MerryMarauder,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Good question as I had not recommended in the past as I had a bad experience with the tip of the plug that goes in the accessory jack getting hot. But I had many requests so I gave it more testing. It seems fine as long as you ensure the plug is properly seated and your receptacle is in good shape. I had forgotten to remove that question from the FAQ.
The wire on the one I offer is rated for over 10 amps so it is good and the Caldron performs very well in the car. I did have to replace the inline fuses from 3 amp to 8 amp though.
Do not use ones that have thin wire as the wire will get hot and performance will be crap. It took me quite a while to find them with a decent gauge.

Mono Loco

I wonder what gauge wire most OEM "cigarette lighter receptacles" use to tap into the fuse block. Years back, when they were actually used for cigarette lighters, there was only one receptacle ... in the dash, typically. Now, new cars often have several receptacles ... to provide 12v power for all sorts of "accessories". Again, I wonder if there is a "standard" wire gauge used to feed these receptacles, or if if varies widely from maker to maker ... or even vehicle to vehicle within a maker's lineup.

In any case, a dedicated heavy wire with the mentioned 5.5 x 2.1mm jack that's coming from the fuse box (or the battery itself, with an in-line fuse) is a pretty nice option for those who are comfortable running cables and tucking them here and there. It can be customized to either remain hot at all times, or be wired to fuse location that is only hot when the car's key is in the ignition, or accessory, position, and it can be located wherever you want ... like in the glove box, where it can be coiled up and stashed when not needed, or in the back seat, with a spring-loaded retractable mechanism - the possibilities are endless! I would be inclined to get a handful of those red vinyl caps to cover the plug when stored away. Still, a lighter-plug is damn easy and convenient ... and usable from car-to-car!

LabPong

I just started using my Caldron the other day. It had a 2 second heat up time...so I used a 2mm hi-temp silicone piece to raise the floor up. Now it is maybe 3-4 seconds heat up. Is this normal for the Caldron to be so aggressive?

LabPong,

warren0728

I just started using my Caldron the other day. It had a 2 second heat up time...so I used a 2mm hi-temp silicone piece to raise the floor up. Now it is maybe 3-4 seconds heat up. Is this normal for the Caldron to be so aggressive?
my caldron is no where near that aggressive ... first heat up is around 8-9 seconds ... my psm with a freshly charged battery is around 6 seconds

LabPong

The new 8 amp supply brings up the speed closer to the PSM. 2 seconds sounds fast though but the caps do vary some. :cool:

I did not look at the back of the power supply on my Jarhead...but is that one different from the Caldron?

LabPong,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I changed over the supply a little over a month ago because of concerns about it not been as fast to click as the PSM. I can see the point as if you have both units, switching up your timing could be a little frustrating. They are now close to on par. This is also why I had to increase the price as well.;)

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
All this talk of timing got me curious so I went to timing my caldron to see just where it lies compared to others. After all, stoners love to tinker with their toys.

On the cold start with no heat soak on the tip I get the first click at about 7 seconds. From then on, I get the click just shy of 4 seconds. After reloading a warm tip I get a click at 5 seconds.

I feel my caldron is timed to my liking. I like the quick, but not too quick cycling. Truth be told, I do dabble in the @PP dip and hit method. Particularly when I want a quick session. I haven't timed those dips as each cycle is based on intuition.

Looking forward to doing a comparison when my new PSM arrives.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
I changed over the supply a little over a month ago because of concerns about it not been as fast to click as the PSM. I can see the point as if you have both units, switching up your timing could be a little frustrating. They are now close to on par. This is also why I had to increase the price as well.;)

Hi @Pipes ... is it possible to still order the Caldron with the old lower amperage power supply as I would like the slower time to the click? .... thanks

NYC_Frank,
Hey @Pipes!! I received my PSM a few days ago, and love it.

However, the battery indicator and/or battery aren't performing as i would expect. It seems to die when the indicator shows ~50% charge left (one green with the red and yellow lights showing). Is this normal? Or is there something i can do to fix it?

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Probably a dumb question but, having a electrical cord for the PSM for recharging and a plug in the wall cord for the Caldron; is either cord capable of working with both units? My thought was to cut down on volume when traveling with both units.

endof3d,
Reactions: TommyDee

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey @Pipes!! I received my PSM a few days ago, and love it.

However, the battery indicator and/or battery aren't performing as i would expect. It seems to die when the indicator shows ~50% charge left (one green with the red and yellow lights showing). Is this normal? Or is there something i can do to fix it?
You need to observe the gauge while a VC is inserted or it reads high. Needs to be under some load.
Probably a dumb question but, having a electrical cord for the PSM for recharging and a plug in the wall cord for the Caldron; is either cord capable of working with both units? My thought was to cut down on volume when traveling with both units.
One is a charger and one is a supply. Completely different functions.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
For those that have been searching for a quality travel case for their Port Side Mini, I believe I’ve found the one. I should mention that my PSM won’t arrive till next week so can’t be absolutely sure of the fit at this juncture. However, the case arrived today and have been testing it with the Caldron which has the same width and thickness dimensions but 32 centimetres less in height.

Here’s what I found: The thickness fit (front to back) is perfect (43mm). The width of the case is about 69mm, about 3 to 4mm wider than the PSM. The height of the PSM is 100mm and is also within a comfortable measured 2 to 3mm+ under the height of the case. So at this juncture the fit looks like it going to be very good. I should add that the case is in a vertical configuration, the same as the PSM.

What I haven’t mentioned is the case is all constructed of top grade leather (not synthetic leather) and all fittings are quality metal. The construction is professional and flawless, and the appearance is top shelf all the way. The case is available in 7 different dyed colors. I chose black for stealth, although the natural brown shade was very tempting.

The case offers two convenient methods of carry; either on your belt or by an included adjustable leather shoulder strap with metal snap hook attachments. The top of the case opening is held by a strong magnet, and will easily flip up and out of the way exposing the working parts of the PSM perfectly.

When the PSM arrives I’ll post and give the final verdict including photos. But from all data to date it appears I’m going to be able to have a simple, hands free, secure, and stealth way to carry and use the PSM while out and about. Have a good weekend folks.

I got myself one of these bags. Very nice construction. If the PSM fits should be very nice.

oddjobold,
Reactions: endof3d

alphakry

The family! Big ups to Pipes for the hard work

IMG-20200416-162144.jpg

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
My god man! I answered your PM and went for lunch to come back 30 minutes later to 5 PMs and an open forum post...
As stated in my FAQ:
"Please read: Do to the COVID-19 Pandemic there have been many shipping delays and missed scans. Please be patient as the units that have been mailed and are in the PO system, and should slowly make their way to their destination. Also, please check your country's shipping situation as some countries are in complete lockdown. Thanks for your understanding and stay safe!"
Now I have had past trouble shipping to Israel in the best of times but have done it. With things the way they currently are, the risk is too high. Yes, you pay in advance but when time goes by and you don't receive, guess who you hound...
Consider myself explained.

Top Bottom