VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Have the same issue with my PSM after just using it a few times. And it needed about 30 sec for upheating from the beginning. So I've nearly never used it all the time I've it.

Hogni,

Prophecy

Hey so my charger doesn't seem to be working on my portside mini. My unit is out of battery , so I'm going to charge it and there's not even the light coming from the charger .only had this thing a month.. is this a common issue? It seems like my charger is dead , and I'm not too interested in buying a charger every month..... Any help or input is appreciated

I have my skeletor IH since end of july and charge it all 3-4 days no problems so far with the charger, the only thing that is a bit annoying is the delievered EU adapter he does not sit so tightly on the plug and when i take out from the socket the adapter stays in the socket and must take it seperately out.

Since I have my portside mini I have a charging cable as a replacement because I use only one for both.

Prophecy,

Iainjmill

Barebones kit arrived well packaged and runs perfectly straight out of the box with the supplied PSU. Now installed into my own custom unit and can confirm it also runs perfectly with my S&B Mighty power unit.
From cold, my Vapcap takes 4 secs to Click , then 2 secs to Click on reheats.
Big shout out to Pipes from Scotland. Will be ordering more as I already have a couple of mates suffering feverish envy.
My thanks go out to Pipes and all on here who contributed their time and efforts, and to PhattPiggie for the inspiration and support.

Iainjmill

Now having had a good sesh on Pipe's IH, I am blown away, literally. , an epiphany, a revelation. Turns my vapcap from an occasional use Vape to my home weapon of choice. So simple and convenient to use and I found my "sweet spot" in no time. The Dynavap Vapcap was always a cunning stunt of creation but an Induction Heater has transformed it for me. Thank you Pipe's and of course George at Dynavap

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Now having had a good sesh on Pipe's IH, I am blown away, literally. , an epiphany, a revelation. Turns my vapcap from an occasional use Vape to my home weapon of choice. So simple and convenient to use and I found my "sweet spot" in no time. The Dynavap Vapcap was always a cunning stunt of creation but an Induction Heater has transformed it for me. Thank you Pipe's and of course George at Dynavap

Fàilte gu FC Iain :cheers:

The VC and Pipes IH is indeed an incredible duo, one of the very best vaping solutions out there.

Scotland approves :D
Alba gu bràth!

Summer

Long Island, NY
When I click in @Pipe's banner, I get photoshop pics. What happened to the page that gives you all the device specs & the order prices? Someone have a link?

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
When I click in @Pipe's banner, I get photoshop pics. What happened to the page that gives you all the devices specs & the order prices? Someone have a link?

If you go to Pipes profile page you'll see a link where someone who calls themselves "Summer" posted a link to it in the profile posts.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
If you go to Pipes profile page you'll see a link where someone who calls themselves "Summer" posted a link to it in the profile posts.

Thanks, Rude Boy. Don't even remember posting that. I only went to his info. page for the link. @Pipes, please add the link back in your banner. Maybe you could put the link in the link. ;)

Last edited:

Vapor4me

I got my Pipe's IH for about 2 months now, and I LOVE it! It's sure a game changer for the vapcap... So much so, that I hardly find myself using the torch. Only when the Mini needs to charge.

can confirm it also runs perfectly with my S&B Mighty power unit.

Is this for reals? Fully safe both for the S&B charger and for the Mini's batteries? @Pipes ?

V4M

Vapor4me,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The Mighty's power "supply" has been reported to drive the IH driver assembly directly just fine. It has nothing to do with charging batteries... Please do not confuse a charger and a supply. Results will not be very desirable. Depending on the device, the supply may very well act as a charger but that means the device has the charging circuits on board internally.
I actually did a search to find if the Mightly supply can be obtained in quantity at a reasonable price but could not find. If anyone has a source for them, please drop me a PM. :cool:

Vapor4me

The Mighty's power "supply" has been reported to drive the IH driver assembly directly just fine. It has nothing to do with charging batteries... Please do not confuse a charger and a supply. Results will not be very desirable.

Thanks for this. So, if I understand correctly, the PSM can be used as a "plug in" with the Mighty charger. Meaning that it will not charge the batteries but can be used directly. Is this correct?

I apologise for my blunt lack of knowledge on anything electric. Happy I can use a pc and the microwave, just barely...

For sourcing the Mighty chargers, have you tried contacting S&B directly?

V4M

Vapor4me,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The PSM is designed to be used with batteries only and can be used while charging. If one wants to use with a supply, my recommendation is to remove the battery beforehand.
I have not tried to contact S&B directly as I would be asking about their parts sources and would most likely be understandingly shrugged off. I searched the actual model number given a few pages back, (can't remember off hand) to find it's a medical grade, 3 amp supply and is rather expensive. Now as we know, the IH heaters take close to double that and the only explanation for the lower rating is that it's for a longer term on time. Proves that it's how the supply handles overrated current demands. A good article about it here. Talks about getting the right supply for the job without overdoing it with huge bulky supply if only needed for short durations.

Pipes,
Reactions: Vapor4me

Summer

Long Island, NY
The PSM is designed to be used with batteries only and can be used while charging. @Pipes, is that true for the PS also?

Summer,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, it is. :nod: Just let it get a few minutes worth of charge first if the batteries are completely flat.
Here's some fun math.
I determined it takes about 80 mAh of power per bowl. Based on an 800 mAh battery giving an average of 10 sessions per charge and 4 heat ups per bowl. Therefore, it takes around 20 mAh per hit. Now the charger charges at 1000 mAh or 16.7 mAh per minute. So, this means it takes 1.2 minutes to recover after a heat cycle or roughly 5 minutes to achieve enough for a session. :science:

Nilsson

Yes, it is. :nod: Just let it get a few minutes worth of charge first if the batteries are completely flat.
Here's some fun math.
I determined it takes about 80 mAh of power per bowl. Based on an 800 mAh battery giving an average of 10 sessions per charge and 4 heat ups per bowl. Therefore, it takes around 20 mAh per hit. Now the charger charges at 1000 mAh or 16.7 mAh per minute. So, this means it takes 1.2 minutes to recover after a heat cycle or roughly 5 minutes to achieve enough for a session. :science:

We can use the Portside (old, silver model) while charging the batteries with the charger you delivered with the Portside? I always thought this could damage the batteries...

Nilsson,

Nilsson

I remember a warning not to do this and that the charger is not capable for using the PS while charging it. It was said, this only works with the PSM. So, before trying it the next time, i hope for a double confirmation from @Pipes.

Nilsson,
Reactions: Summer

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, you can use while charging but only when the battery is not completely dead.
I think the confusion is in the other no, nos.
The charger alone, will not work, as can't provide enough power.
Do not attempt to use a power supply (PSU) while batteries are inserted.

;)

simanuel

Hi there,

i think i have killed my induction heater? Had problems replacing the FETs...
ih1.jpg

simanuel,
Don't feel bad. Nobody does it right the first time. LOL I have been soldering for decades and my first time was way worse than that.

Actually, desoldering and removing components is much harder than just soldering.

Fortunately, those drivers are cheap so you can replace it for under $10.

Good luck on the next one.

Hackerman,
Top Bottom