Underdog Log Vapes

Verax

Same variables as before:

With Cap: 118 degrees
Without cap: 110 degrees

Accounting for variation between results, I would say that's a statistical tie. I'm sure that this is not a very good / accurate test, but it's enough to let me keep my cap on to get some nice aromatherapy while I'm heating up, and not worry too much about inefficiency.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Same variables as before:

With Cap: 118 degrees
Without cap: 110 degrees

Accounting for variation between results, I would say that's a statistical tie. I'm sure that this is not a very good / accurate test, but it's enough to let me keep my cap on to get some nice aromatherapy while I'm heating up, and not worry too much about inefficiency.
Leaves me a bit curious - what is the temp of the cup inside bottom center vs. the SS heat rod top? To find out, heat for desired amount of time, then take cup reading... then, take off cup and get immediate temp reading from top of rod. Notate temps...

Last edited:

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
I'd expect an empty copper cup on top of a UD to have some amount of a heatsink effect on the core.. but to me it seems that when the cup has oil in it, it's like putting a heatsink (copper cup) on the core, and then adding something that retains heat well (oil) to that heatsink, so it kind of seems like the oil would dampen the heatsink effect of the copper cup to a degree.. Not sure if I'm making much sense here :lol: I'm a little confused about how to look at this now.. It seemed simpler in my head at first since I didn't even consider the oil being involved.. I suspect that w/ the oil involved, the cup mainly effects the core as a heatsink while the oil is heating up to it's potential, and once it reaches it I'd expect things to maintain a stable temp.. The copper alone though, I'd think would rob more heat in general before stabilizing, just based on it's thermal properties? :shrug: I really have no idea what I'm talking about :lol: Hopefully someone can come and clear this up because it's bugging me now, and I've got things I'm supposed to be doing.. :ninja: :lol: I've gotta be overthinking this

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I'd expect an empty copper cup on top of a UD to have some amount of a heatsink effect on the core.. but to me it seems that when the cup has oil in it, it's like putting a heatsink (copper cup) on the core, and then adding something that retains heat well (oil) to that heatsink, so it kind of seems like the oil would dampen the heatsink effect of the copper cup to a degree.. Not sure if I'm making much sense here :lol: I'm a little confused about how to look at this now.. It seemed simpler in my head at first since I didn't even consider the oil being involved.. I suspect that w/ the oil involved, the cup mainly effects the core as a heatsink while the oil is heating up to it's potential, and once it reaches it I'd expect things to maintain a stable temp.. The copper alone though, I'd think would rob more heat in general before stabilizing, just based on it's thermal properties? :shrug: I really have no idea what I'm talking about :lol: Hopefully someone can come and clear this up because it's bugging me now, and I've got things I'm supposed to be doing.. :ninja: :lol: I've gotta be overthinking this
After my head just exploded around the whole conundrum, I settled back down to the fact that no matter what configuration challenges the heat output, it is of little to no consequence - the UNDERDOG will perform like an Olympian and get the Gold Medal every time! Nuff said!

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
The more thermal mass you add to the core, the cooler it will run. You'll also notice that denser woods and thicker bodies will cool the dog down due to the added thermal mass.:2c:

:peace:
Good point :cheers: More mass = cool running's :spliff: and added insulation = over heating.. Things seem simple again, thanks :lol: I can't help but get lost in the details of these things sometimes.. Now back to what ever it was I was supposed to be doing!

drewper

Loving the new gear from Dave and Amanda. Super nice little unit for the VVPS. The fine control I now have over the log is crazy. Very nice, thanks guys. Poor lighting but you get the idea.

YTUyDqh.jpg

JESUSgotNAILED

Hello everyone! Log vape fan here. I have owned a RockZap for the past few years and I believe it's life may of ended tonight. I used it a few hours ago and just went to use it again - cold as ice. I've talked to Underdog a couple of times in the RockZap thread before and he has helped me out with minor fixes such as when my cable plug became loose.

In June last year Underdog Dave said I could send my zap to him and possibly get it repaired (this is when I had the cable plug issue). Here is a link. Rick over at RockZap isn't in the business anymore so he can't work on them himself. Underdog Dave could I possibly set something up for a repair? If not I will gladly look into purchasing an Underdog but I definitely would rather pay a fee and get this sexy cherry wood RockZap working again before having to purchase another log. *** READ EDIT 2 ! ***

Thank you!

EDIT - I've had to replace the power cord a couple of times since I bought the Zap. I assumed it's not the cord this time because the wall plug was warm while the Zap itself was cold. I also tried plugging something else into the same outlet and it worked so the outlet is good. Either way I have it plugged into the wall across the room right now and funny enough it's getting warm again. Hmmmmmm....

EDIT 2 - I now suspect it is once again the cord that is dead and not the Zap. Man, I swear, I've gone through 4 or 5 of these since buying my Zap in addition to the one it shipped with. Here is the cord the Zaps use. I know I'm in the Underdog thread but would anyone happen to know where I can get a wall transformer with the same specs but with a cord that isn't so kinky and prone to wire breakage? Thank you so much and happy vaping.

Last edited:

Tang Tonic

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying I am really excited to be joining this thread here. I can officially do so since I just pulled the trigger on the Blue Maho dog. I chose this wood because I live in the Caribbean and they are a very common and beautiful tree here. Mahogany would have been my first choice so maybe I can convince the boys at UD to let me send them some nice mahogany stock for a custom unit :myday:

As a long time DBV fan and more recently SSV, I thought it was time to mature and get something with a little more class. I have read so many great things about the UD that its kinda sad its taken me so long to join the team.

Anyways, one unique thing I plan on doing is running it off some solar panels. They put out 12-15V so I will need to use the VPPS. I held off on purchasing the VPPS for now as I want to get it dialed in first using the wall-wart. Where I live, electricity is expensive and goes out frequently so running it off solar is a great solution to these problems.

I'll be sure to report back once I receive it and give it a thorough break in.

Bdubyaa

Loving the new gear from Dave and Amanda. Super nice little unit for the VVPS. The fine control I now have over the log is crazy. Very nice, thanks guys. Poor lighting but you get the idea.

YTUyDqh.jpg
Thanks for the update, thinking about picking one of these up myself.
Has anyone here put one together themselves, if so how complicated is it? @underdog posted on the VVPS links the parts list is available if wanted...

dac13

So Mid february I contacted @Snappo to find me a unique piece of wood. Within a week he had found the perfect piece of Buckeye Burl shown below!

7euDcEH.jpg

1anf2rR.jpg

Then Snappo sent the wood blank over to @underdog and with the help of @underdogette I told Dave to have fun and surprise me with something and oh doggie did they ever deliver!!!!

ioZZkYo.jpg

PqI2G7C.jpg

m00ZC9Y.jpg

fGYoyDi.jpg

SkfUeyu.jpg

vyqWAF3.jpg

Z0weJRS.jpg

Only 2 short weeks from when I first contacted @Snappo and I already have my first dog! I think I will name him Doug! Thanks a lot to @underdog + @underdogette ! You guys rock:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@JESUSgotNAILED sounds like getting a few of the extension cords off the UD website along with the power supply would be a good thing for you to help keep the cords from the wall wart from getting broken, I've gone through a few extensions in the last 3 years but the wall warts are still intact and workin'.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer

YTUyDqh.jpg

Nice, enjoy!

Hello everyone! Log vape fan here. I have owned a RockZap for the past few years and I believe it's life may of ended tonight. I used it a few hours ago and just went to use it again - cold as ice. I've talked to Underdog a couple of times in the RockZap thread before and he has helped me out with minor fixes such as when my cable plug became loose.

In June last year Underdog Dave said I could send my zap to him and possibly get it repaired (this is when I had the cable plug issue). Here is a link. Rick over at RockZap isn't in the business anymore so he can't work on them himself. Underdog Dave could I possibly set something up for a repair? If not I will gladly look into purchasing an Underdog but I definitely would rather pay a fee and get this sexy cherry wood RockZap working again before having to purchase another log. *** READ EDIT 2 ! ***

Thank you!

EDIT - I've had to replace the power cord a couple of times since I bought the Zap. I assumed it's not the cord this time because the wall plug was warm while the Zap itself was cold. I also tried plugging something else into the same outlet and it worked so the outlet is good. Either way I have it plugged into the wall across the room right now and funny enough it's getting warm again. Hmmmmmm....

EDIT 2 - I now suspect it is once again the cord that is dead and not the Zap. Man, I swear, I've gone through 4 or 5 of these since buying my Zap in addition to the one it shipped with. Here is the cord the Zaps use. I know I'm in the Underdog thread but would anyone happen to know where I can get a wall transformer with the same specs but with a cord that isn't so kinky and prone to wire breakage? Thank you so much and happy vaping.

As @RUDE BOY says your best bet might be to pick up a new power supply and some extensions (thru us or we can give you a link to buy direct) and use that combo then you just replace the less expensive extension as needed. If/when you do have a problem with the Zap we can almost certainly repair it though as long as the wooden body is still in good shape (internally), once the body is done for we can always make a new body and fully rebuild it. :cool::peace:

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying I am really excited to be joining this thread here. I can officially do so since I just pulled the trigger on the Blue Maho dog. I chose this wood because I live in the Caribbean and they are a very common and beautiful tree here. Mahogany would have been my first choice so maybe I can convince the boys at UD to let me send them some nice mahogany stock for a custom unit :myday:

As a long time DBV fan and more recently SSV, I thought it was time to mature and get something with a little more class. I have read so many great things about the UD that its kinda sad its taken me so long to join the team.

Anyways, one unique thing I plan on doing is running it off some solar panels. They put out 12-15V so I will need to use the VPPS. I held off on purchasing the VPPS for now as I want to get it dialed in first using the wall-wart. Where I live, electricity is expensive and goes out frequently so running it off solar is a great solution to these problems.

I'll be sure to report back once I receive it and give it a thorough break in.

First of all welcome to the thread former neighbor! We spent the better part of 10 years living in St Thomas and Culebra and we have a couple long time customers on your island too. Small world! :)

RE: Mahogany - definitely, we can do that with either yours our ours. We do have some nice Puerto Rican stock and also stuff from South America and SE Asia.. none from the VI though. The Blue Mahoe we get from Puerto Rico as well, from a sustainable forestry education program there.

As far as running off your solar panels that shouldn't be a problem, certainly not with the wall-wart if you're using an inverter. If you're using the direct 12-15v DC output then that should be doable but probably necessitate a dimmer or (preferably) VVPS to regulate the voltage levels. When we lived down there we were 100% solar powered and built/designed our first UDs solely on that so it's definitely not a problem. Much better than dealing with WAPA let me tell you lol. :brow:

Thanks for the update, thinking about picking one of these up myself.
Has anyone here put one together themselves, if so how complicated is it? @underdog posted on the VVPS links the parts list is available if wanted...

It's super simple, just inserting 4 wires (2 input, 2 output) into their respective wire terminals and tightening 4 screws (screwdriver not included) that hold them down. We also include the rubber feet and zip ties for controlling the lay of the wires but these steps are optional. The whole process takes 10-15 minutes tops and that's the savings, not having to pay us to do that labor for you. :cool:

JESUSgotNAILED

@JESUSgotNAILED sounds like getting a few of the extension cords off the UD website along with the power supply would be a good thing for you to help keep the cords from the wall wart from getting broken, I've gone through a few extensions in the last 3 years but the wall warts are still intact and workin'.

As @RUDE BOY says your best bet might be to pick up a new power supply and some extensions (thru us or we can give you a link to buy direct) and use that combo then you just replace the less expensive extension as needed. If/when you do have a problem with the Zap we can almost certainly repair it though as long as the wooden body is still in good shape (internally), once the body is done for we can always make a new body and fully rebuild it. :cool::peace:

Awesome, thank you so much for the help! Those extensions look perfect!

So this power supply here on the UD site is the correct one I need, right? Here is the one I currently use for comparison. It looks to be the same specs... 12v, 2.1mm. Not sure anything else matters. Actually I just noticed mine is AC to AC and yours our AC to DC - that okay? If that's the case I will order one and an extension or two today because being without vapor sucks!!!

underdog

Manufacturer

JESUSgotNAILED

Nope the Zap doesn't care whether it's AC or DC as long as it's 12v. :cool:

Okay cool. Thanks so much guys!!! I will report back whenever they arrive. This community seems to be awesome just like the Zap community was and I can't wait for the day I can order an Underdog to join my log arsenal. Keep rocking!

Edit - One more question. Does anyone have a picture of the heavy duty extension cord? For $2 more that sounds like something I'd find useful considering how often I've had to replace cords. Then again the regular one looks quality too. Not sure if I should bother =P

Edit 2 - Nevermind, I'll just order one of each to see which one I prefer. Happy vaping!

Last edited:

Verax

So Mid february I contacted @Snappo to find me a unique piece of wood. Within a week he had found the perfect piece of Buckeye Burl shown below!

Then Snappo sent the wood blank over to @underdog and with the help of @underdogette I told Dave to have fun and surprise me with something and oh doggie did they ever deliver!!!!

Z0weJRS.jpg

Only 2 short weeks from when I first contacted @Snappo and I already have my first dog! I think I will name him Doug! Thanks a lot to @underdog + @underdogette ! You guys rock:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Wow, just love the look of that. I really like the top of the unit being imperfect, due to the wood. Really cool and organic. I'm very jealous! :)4

Tang Tonic

That is so cool!!! I used to live on the rock and my wife is born and raised there. Yes WAPA is still a joke lol. If you ever come back down for a visit, would love to link up with you. It would be cool to meet your longtime customers here also!

I have a couple nice mahogany logs that I salvaged when they were cutting down a big one. Have been contemplating on what to use them for. Maybe I can send you some?

Good news on the solar panels. I do have an inverter but would probably just run it direct during the day. I figured it wouldn't be a problem as long as keep the voltage below 15 when the sun is cranking.

I am even more excited about this UD now that I know you were a resident here! Super cool that the Maho comes from PR too! I really enjoy hopping over there when I can.

ZC

Can anyone review the oversized SS direct draw vs the "normal" one that fits inside the heater?

The oversized one obviously hods more material and thus isn't as efficient - it will take more hits and you will have to stir. In practice it's really a lot like the glass stems, except you don't have to worry about breaking it.

I really like the oversized SS and use it very often. The only con is that you can't tell at a glance which end the screen is on. So I've gotten in the habit of putting it down and picking it up in the same way so I know which end is which without looking.

underdog

Manufacturer
That is so cool!!! I used to live on the rock and my wife is born and raised there. Yes WAPA is still a joke lol. If you ever come back down for a visit, would love to link up with you. It would be cool to meet your longtime customers here also!

I have a couple nice mahogany logs that I salvaged when they were cutting down a big one. Have been contemplating on what to use them for. Maybe I can send you some?

Good news on the solar panels. I do have an inverter but would probably just run it direct during the day. I figured it wouldn't be a problem as long as keep the voltage below 15 when the sun is cranking.

I am even more excited about this UD now that I know you were a resident here! Super cool that the Maho comes from PR too! I really enjoy hopping over there when I can.

That's awesome to come across fellow islanders on FC! We might be coming back for a visit in the next year, if so we'll see about getting in touch.

You could possibly send us some VI Mahogany, let me look into the regulations since I know there are restrictions on raw wood being shipped from most of the area down there. Is it dry?

RE: solar panels - Ah, that might not work then if you can't regulate the voltage, 13v and above (other than in short bursts) will start to rapidly break down the wooden body of the Dog and 15v would destroy it in very short order. Really you need to feed it between 12v and 12.5v for it to have a long, healthy life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom