Underdog Log Vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Do you leave yours on 13,5V all day Dorkus, or does it get breaks as well?

I find I can use mine on 12,8V for the start of a bowl and go up to 14V to cash it. 14V already is a bit extreme though, that may be only be necessary with this weird weed I have right now.

But I haven't been looking or considering other vapes much as well since I got my temps up. I even use FC less it seems because the need for a lot of research is gone, lol. I do want more dogs though, and a GonG stem, and some nice glass as well. I kinda forgot about the 420 sale, but what I want is out of stock now anyways...I'm thinking about saving up for a Mobius Ion this summer to be honest... :brow:

That sure is a nice gift Griff! I hope it works out temperature wise, but otherwise the solution is still fairly easy at least. At what setting do you usually finish a Solo bowl?

My UD makes it very easy to forget about smoking nowadays, something that was on ongoing struggle for me before.. Anyways, I'm looking forward to the pictures and welcome in advance I guess ;)

OhTheAgony,

dorkus_molorkus

@OTA- yep all day at 13.5v, turn it on when i get up & off when I go sleepy bo bo's.
doesnt seem to worry it at all. Its quite warm to the touch but not hot. I also find it hits the best in the evening when its been on all day. I dont really adjust the voltage anymore, I find I just use my solo while I am waiting for it to heat up. 13.5v is hot enough to do wand hash quite well too.

@griff- welcome dude. this is a cool thread with some cool peeps on here, hope you like it.
enjoy your doggy, it rocks like nobodies business. :tup:

dorkus_molorkus,

okikir

I'm so in love with my ud after one month of thorough use!

I only use my 13.8v PS to suck out the ultimate marrow from fresh abv... which is definitely sweet as it enables me to have a low consumption albeit having quite a high tolerance...

(needless to say, my volcano is getting very dusty, I can't see it anymore through that fog!)

okikir,

okikir

Oh yeah the original purpose was to ask Dave about the fact that I am clearly able to see some unusual red reflections in the core after +/-30 min on the 13.8v PS ... Yet I'm still unable to get into combustion or whatsoever but is it something that should get me worried?

Anyway I never let my sweet girl on the "hot dog" position any longer than 1.5hr straight...

okikir,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
@dorkus- aqualab technologies is also having a 4/20 sale that starts on the 10th if you're looking for more sites that are having sales. pretty sure theirs is a 13% off sale.

@OTA- i've found myself to do the same with FC. ever since getting my new UD i've been on FC way less since i don't need to research anymore with the UD satisfying all my vapor needs. only thing i want now is vapor accessories. i was wondering if i was the only one having these new-UD symptoms...

HighlyEducatedScholar,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Oh yeah the original purpose was to ask Dave about the fact that I am clearly able to see some unusual red reflections in the core after +/-30 min on the 13.8v PS ... Yet I'm still unable to get into combustion or whatsoever but is it something that should get me worried?

Anyway I never let my sweet girl on the "hot dog" position any longer than 1.5hr straight...

Hey okikir - if you are seeing any glow in the core that is very much not OK and means you are overpowering it to the point of metal glowing which it is not supposed to do. At that temp it's just a matter of time until damage is done to the wood and the core. There is also a potential fire risk anytime something is that hot. Be careful.

underdog,

Greenscreen

@griff- welcome dude. this is a cool thread with some cool peeps on here, hope you like it.
enjoy your doggy, it rocks like nobodies business. :tup:

thanks man.. this thread made for a great read and i look forward to joining the pack.. sounds like im on to a winner with the UD!
also in regards to your glass all i can say is shop around as much as possible... have got a few pieces myself and i don't regret anything i've bought (far from it) but all i'm saying is there's always a new waterpipe that catches your eye and you can only choose once right (that's what you tell yourself anyway, i certainly found myself back for more :lol:)

That sure is a nice gift Griff! I hope it works out temperature wise, but otherwise the solution is still fairly easy at least. At what setting do you usually finish a Solo bowl?
My UD makes it very easy to forget about smoking nowadays, something that was on ongoing struggle for me before.. Anyways, I'm looking forward to the pictures and welcome in advance I guess ;)

That's cool you feel your over the smoking hurdle man (fills me with confidence about the UD even more).. I personally was well and truly over it when i first discovered vaping (didn't combust for 12 months) but oddly enough i had a weird craving to smoke a bowl (or rip a cone as we say in england) the other day and gave in! i was surprised i gave in but i think I'm just craving water filtration as none of my vapes connect to my glass since the sale of my Q..

And in terms of the solo, i never really got the chance to enjoy it to its full potential as i had a smelly unit and the smell worsened on the higher temps ..i found myself using it on 3 or 4 mostly but i think that's cus i was scared to use it on higher temps regularly.

Never really had a vape where i could experience higher temps to there full potential.. whenever i have used high temps it has been on a bag vape which gives a bad taste on high temps IMO.. looking forward to experimenting with the UD, some higher temps and water filtration even if it does take a while to tweak everything to mine / my brothers liking.

Greenscreen,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Hey Dave, not sure if you keep up with the power supply thread, but you seem kinda busy atm so I'll just copy it here to for you too so you won't miss it.

Not sure if it means anything but perhaps it can help shedding some light on the EU voltage problem. I noticed my UD takes about 0,3A < 11,5V then goes up to 0,4A until you reach 13V before it starts taking 0,5A. Perhaps that's normal but I figured I'd share the info anyways.

I also noticed I find it hard to call my UD satisfying until it's on 0,5A, but that's probably just me, haha.

Now where are those new dogs dude :goon:

;)

I've never used bags Griff, I simply refuse to suck on a plastic bag (I'm just weird that way). But I can imagine the blended-together-taste-of-all-temps, haha.

It takes a bit of getting used to, high temp vapor. It's pretty disgusting when you first taste it ime. I couldn't even take my ABV beyond a greenish color because of it when I first started vaping. But I've slowly grown to love it over time because of what it stands for now for me personally, which is complete and total satisfaction in terms of peaceful nights and a mostly painless body. The high is not to bad either I must say :brow:

It's not for everyone, but I do know it was (is) what I needed to cure my desire to smoke.

But, lets see how you pups will perform first, and how your brother likes his gift :tup:

OhTheAgony,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Not sure if it means anything but perhaps it can help shedding some light on the EU voltage problem. I noticed my UD takes about 0,3A < 11,5V then goes up to 0,4A until you reach 13V before it starts taking 0,5A. Perhaps that's normal but I figured I'd share the info anyways.

I also noticed I find it hard to call my UD satisfying until it's on 0,5A, but that's probably just me, haha.
I'll also reiterate what I put in the power supply thread. There is no EU voltage "problem". It's just that the unregulated "12V" supplies used in America are probably supplying 13V+ to the vape. Then when someone in Europe gets a 12V supply (which is highly likely to be regulated/switchmode type), they are actually supplying 12V to the vape, not the 13V or so that they are getting in America. So it gives the impression that power supplies outside the US are magically incapable of producing the same results. A regulated supply in the US will give exactly the same results as a regulated supply elsewhere.

hazy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think he solved it Dave ^^

Good reasoning Hazy :tup:

Just to add, the EU PSU that came with the UD only measures out to 11,3V which makes the difference (seem) even larger. This probably only added to the confusion in hindsight.

OhTheAgony,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Also the resistor in your particular vape has about 10% higher resistance than normal, so that will make it run 10% cooler. You will need to increase the power by 10% to get the same results as everyone else.

hazy,

okikir

Hey okikir - if you are seeing any glow in the core that is very much not OK and means you are overpowering it to the point of metal glowing which it is not supposed to do. At that temp it's just a matter of time until damage is done to the wood and the core. There is also a potential fire risk anytime something is that hot. Be careful.
Hi Dave, how are you?

Thx for such a fast answer, I sure don't want to hurt my underdog. I think I'm going to look for a 13.2v PS then... Stay tuned :)

Edit:
Hah, nice input here Hazy, thank you

okikir,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Also the resistor in your particular vape has about 10% higher resistance than normal, so that will make it run 10% cooler. You will need to increase the power by 10% to get the same results as everyone else.

Yeah, that info should be included as well for people who read about this for the first time.

I still wonder though, does that mean it's relatively safe to run mine on 13,5 to 14V because of the higher resistance, or do I still risk the same damage as others with hotter running units when running it on higher voltages?

I may have a simpler and cheaper solution if you wait a few days Okikir. 13,2V is hard to find btw, or I don't know where to look of course. Have you measured what your 13,8V produces under load btw? I suspect it's more like 14,1 or 14,2V but I'm still not able to measure it myself yet (waiting for the right tools to arrive). I haven't seen mine glow on that PSU though, luckily :uhoh:

OhTheAgony,

okikir

Hi there OTA

I was glancing at this particular item (it's a french website but I assume you'll understand the point):
http://www.all-batteries.fr/aliment...2v-1-2a-75-220v-mascot-2125-3630-lex5150.html

Unfortunately I have no tool for measuring the actual voltage... well those red reflections are well enough to get me alarmed anyway.

And so you get none of these glows ... Maybe Djonko could tell us how things are going for him? Could there be a difference between NL and FR electric installations?

Well what is the solution you want to share?

Have a good evening :)

okikir,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
That one is way to expensive dude. You can get a nice variable voltage PSU for just a tad more on ebay and probably at your local electronics store as well.

I don't think it's the electricity after Hazy's explanation, but more the difference in resistance between our Underdogs as mine is kinda on the high side. Unfortunately you probably don't have a way to check your resistance either then, but it seems likely. Djonko doesn't have a 13,8V PSU to compare notes on unfortunately.

I'm still waiting on a little dimmer switch to test with my 13,8V PSU. Someone posted it in the power supply thread and I linked a pic here in this thread a few pages back when I noticed it. You can just plug it in straight between the UD and the PSU. Hazy tried one that was a bit to sensitive but someone else was very pleased with how it worked so I guess we're waiting on a 3th opinion, which will be mine. It should be here today or tomorrow I think.

OhTheAgony,

okikir

That sounds really nice! OK then I think I'm going to wait for you to share your experience ... again :D Thx dude...

This first UD hit I'm about to get (now that I finally found a proper song) is dedicated to you :D

okikir,

zymos

One tip some newer users may have missed, and that should definitely be tried before deciding you need a variable power supply, is changing screen position. If your dog just plain won't get hot enough it won't help you, but it's worth a try...

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I had a bit more peaceful cheers in mind, but cheers to you too man, lol

And yeah, never forget to play around with screen-placement first. I often forget to mention that.

I'm trying to figure out how much I can get the voltage down with a higher screen placement right now, in an effort to give my pups the best lifespan I can give them, and also a little bit to get the best taste out of my herbs. I picked up some different strains first though, this hard to vape weed was putting me off to much, not good for calibrating. I'm gonna keep this stuff apart to mix with hash whenever I feel like it, it's awesome for that.

OhTheAgony,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I still wonder though, does that mean it's relatively safe to run mine on 13,5 to 14V because of the higher resistance, or do I still risk the same damage as others with hotter running units when running it on higher voltages?
Yes, you can safely run at a higher voltage than others. I should have explained this a long time ago. Although there is plenty of talk about voltages, it is actually all relative to a particular resistance value. What really matters is the amount of power being dissipated by the resistor in the vape. It's the number of watts that counts. Just like with a heater or electric motor, this is what tells us how much energy is being used.

Power (Watts) = Voltage squared / Resistance

So if your resistor is 22 Ohms and you like the way it runs at 13.5V, then it is using 8.3W. With a 20 Ohm resistor, you would run it at 12.9V to get the same amount of heat (Watts). A vape with an 18 Ohm resistor running at 13.5V will use over 10W!

Something else to consider. As we all know, because they are handmade items, each individual vape has its own characteristics. The type and amount of wood mean that different vapes will need different amounts of power to stay hot.

Summing up, 3 things determine how hot the vape will get:
- the vape design
- the resistor value
- the voltage applied

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thanks man, I feel a lot more comfortable turning up the voltage now. I guess my vaporizing needs don't even differ that much from others then, not as much as I thought anyways.

This also makes me realize I should be a little more careful with recommending that 13,8V PSU to everyone, I wouldn't want to be contributing to wrecking low resistance UDs :uhoh:

OhTheAgony,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I don't think any fixed voltage PSU is a good idea. There are just too many variables to say that one size fits all.

hazy,

djonkoman

I suspected something like that, I think in this thread I also once asked dave what the actual output of the american adaptors was, I'm not completely sure what his answer was again but I think it was from 12,5 or 12,7-13.25

the adaptor I bought is also slightly hotter then the one that came with the dog, so than my bught one s probably closer to 12 volt or a tad above, while my stock one could be just like OTA's closer to 11-11,5
I don't have a meter to check that tough
if 13 volt adaptors were asily available that would probably be perfect, but it seems they aren't...

djonkoman,

sethhobrin

Heating up the new Underdogs RIGHT NOW!!! Just unboxed them! They are beautiful! The cocobolo UD is HUGE!!! The UD on the left is on its way back to D for some slight repairs and will make someone else an extremely happy UD owner some day!

photo1ct.jpg

Top Bottom