Underdog Log Vapes

CurryLeafTreehugger

Just got an SC3+ a few weeks ago and saw a gorgeous Alpha today and pulled the trigger. Feeling like it may be silly. Does it make sense to have an Alpha and an SC3+. I did it thinking it would hit a lot harder, if it does I'm happy. Does anyone else have both? Can you please give me your thoughts? Thanks much!
I ended up with both. I didn't intend to. They just ... SPOKE to me. I got them because of the wood. It's all about the wood.

I'm pretty much a lightweight, really. If the Alpha is really gonna "tear your freakin' head off", I should probably be scared.

:rip:

vaporculture

I ended up with both. I didn't intend to. They just ... SPOKE to me. I got them because of the wood. It's all about the wood.

I'm pretty much a lightweight, really. If the Alpha is really gonna "tear your freakin' head off", I should probably be scared.

:rip:
From what I've heard, Godzilla was actually pretty nice, once you got to know him. That Madrone Alpha looks quite friendly. :)

arb

Semi shaved ape
Oh man, I almost went with that Ironwood! One of the hardest woods out there and quite beautiful - surprised it's still available. But I just couldn't resist this little demon...
That was indeed a tough choice!
I have a bunch of different ironwoods
I used for knife handles.
That shit is tough to work I wonder how it is to turn @underdog ?

SquirrelMaster

You made a good call........now you have one and a backup.
😜

Thank you for the reassurance :) I just needed that little bit of persuasion to make me feel good about my impulsive purchases :p
One for each level or room in your house? I vape in one spot but I can very easily see myself ending up with a couple and just switching them up for some variety. Or grab a glass y-adapter and use both at the same time, that sounds like fun :D. There are so many gorgeous woods out there and buying wood vapes is my excuse to expand my collection. You made the right choice! Definitely cheaper than a bunch of exotic furniture.

Enialis

:tup: Not only do I think you made the right call, if you got that hourglass walnut SC3+ you are going to be super stoked when you have it in hand, before it has even had a chance to work it's :evil: magic on you.

Alpha has a much bigger bowl and a bigger heater -- while the SC3+ is a monster that delivers monster rips, the Alpha is a huge, godzilla-like monster that'll tear your freakin head off. :rockon:
I don't think it was the hourglass one, it was the $325 figured black walnut. I was trying to save as much money as possible since upgrading to the SC3+ already broke my budget and I didn't want to be dissapointed after coming from a Cloud Evo so I just picked the cheapest SC3+ model. Almost went with the Alpha but i figured that would be the same thing as my Evo and I mostly need to switch back to flower from concentrates and focus on conserving product with the prices so high at my dispenaries so the idea of white walling a pipe off of a 0.02g load with the same extraction efficiency as my Evo is what sold me.

I just couldn't wait on my Cloud Evo to get back from being serviced because of how much extra money im spending without it and with the upcoming vape mail ban I dont know how much longer I'll be able to get coils and heaters for my Sai/Seqouia/DTv4 setups and my ebanger is far to recreational and product hungry for me to use most of the time. Now i just need to find a piece that can be used with all of these things at once. Im leaning towards another hydratube since i broke the Evo inverting it but I'm not sure how well the UD functions with them. Right now im looking at the 18 and 14mm hydratubes on Matt's website since the vapexhale ones break to easy for the price and I cant really afford to wait on China glass at the moment unless its for one piece that works with all of my devices. Don't know if i should get an 18mm piece for the Evo and then use a 14 to 18mm adapter for the dog, get the 18mm nong instead of the 14mm, or get multiple pieces. The only thing I have thats 18MM is the Evo everything else is 14mm and I dont want anything to big for the smaller devices.

Any thoughts?

arb

Semi shaved ape
I don't think it was the hourglass one, it was the $325 figured black walnut. I was trying to save as much money as possible since upgrading to the SC3+ already broke my budget and I didn't want to be dissapointed after coming from a Cloud Evo so I just picked the cheapest SC3+ model. Almost went with the Alpha but i figured that would be the same thing as my Evo and I mostly need to switch back to flower from concentrates and focus on conserving product with the prices so high at my dispenaries so the idea of white walling a pipe off of a 0.02g load with the same extraction efficiency as my Evo is what sold me.

I just couldn't wait on my Cloud Evo to get back from being serviced because of how much extra money im spending without it and with the upcoming vape mail ban I dont know how much longer I'll be able to get coils and heaters for my Sai/Seqouia/DTv4 setups and my ebanger is far to recreational and product hungry for me to use most of the time. Now i just need to find a piece that can be used with all of these things at once. Im leaning towards another hydratube since i broke the Evo inverting it but I'm not sure how well the UD functions with them. Right now im looking at the 18 and 14mm hydratubes on Matt's website since the vapexhale ones break to easy for the price and I cant really afford to wait on China glass at the moment unless its for one piece that works with all of my devices. Don't know if i should get an 18mm piece for the Evo and then use a 14 to 18mm adapter for the dog, get the 18mm nong instead of the 14mm, or get multiple pieces. The only thing I have thats 18MM is the Evo everything else is 14mm and I dont want anything to big for the smaller devices.

Any thoughts?

CurryLeafTreehugger

That Hawaiian was something else. No money here for me to pay for a crazy log like that especially with conversion rates and shipping. Still nice to window shop. But painful haha.

Worry not. Lovely as the burls and specialty woods are, all UDs are fully functional and wonderful.

Yeah, but given that, by the time you get to the Custom Dawgs, it's all about the looks. Custom dawgs are our TROPHY dawgs.

Harkening back to days of yore when UD was yet but a pup. OK sort of a teenage pup but still a pup.

Now we are all old dogs! And it took me 6 years to graduate to a whirly-burly type UD, but I had 6 years of fully functional happy-making vaping from first my Econodog, and then a Holiday Vape in the Wild Maple (which eventually had to be replaced by the also fully functional if not as sweet-smelling Tiger Vaple)

And one of the things I have admired most about Underdog is that despite the fact that they must make 2 or 3 times as much off the expensive fancy woods and burls, they still turn out affordable vapes that 100% work every bit as well as the Pretty Ones, and they still have sales that help out even more.

Upshot? All underdogs are special.

Here is my Underdog lineup

• Adi = my original Econodog, which I still have and who still does bang-up service as an aromatherapy device and emergency vape (or would if she wasn't packed deep in a moving box somewhere)
  • Paladin = A holiday vape in Wild Maple, sweet smelling and packing a punch. Died of premature charring. If I had ever turned it off, it would still be my vape of choice - because the charring would never have happened, fault or no fault, if I'd turned it off when not in use. If I ever figure out how to get the innards out, Paladin will go back into service as a stem caddy.
  • Sarge = for Dick Sargent, the replacement Darrin Stevens (original Bewitched, most of y'all were not even born yet) after the original, Dick York, got sick and had to quit. Quite a respectable replacement but a replacement nevertheless. We could never quite forget or stop missing the original. Not that he was better in the role, except that he was. Tiger Maple standard-type Vape. We just didn't click, I still want the original Darrin back, LOL!
  • Atma = Big Leaf Vaple Burl Alpha dog. We have yet to be personally introduced.
  • Agni = Hawaiian Koa burl SC3+. She will be coming along shortly after Atma's arrival here.

My farewell to my original Econodog, welcoming my then-new Wild Vaple, Paladin:

I don't know why, I don't know how - but my new Holiday Dog is even better than my Econo-Dog!!!!! Smooooooooooth.

I love you, Econo-Dog, but I don't love-love you anymore. Sorry, but I have grown, and Holiday Dog has taken your place in my heart. It isn't you (it's you). It's me (it's you).

Firefly = :hmm::(:bang::rant:

Econo-Dog = Before Holiday Dog = :):spliff::luv::nod:
Econo-Dog = AFTER Holiday Dog =:uhoh::o:doh::shrug:

Holiday-Dog = :bowdown::love::rockon::tup:

That's OK, Econo-Dog, you are now my dedicated essential oil warmer!

Last edited:

Enialis

anyone have any thoughts on 14mm gong with 18mm adapter vs 18mm hybrid nong? Which would the better, big bowl WPA be? Im already getting the normal nong for smaller loads but it hadnt occured to me when I was checking out to check in first? I like the idea of the SS tips since people have said the metal helps with extraction but how does the extraction for large screened stems with and without the SS tip compare? I'll have my cloud evo back soon if i just want a bigger load, so Im primarily concerned about efficiency and using less product.

Enialis,
Reactions: arb

CurryLeafTreehugger

anyone have any thoughts on 14mm gong with 18mm adapter vs 18mm hybrid nong? Which would the better, big bowl WPA be? Im already getting the normal nong for smaller loads but it hadnt occured to me when I was checking out to check in first? I like the idea of the SS tips since people have said the metal helps with extraction but how does the extraction for large screened stems with and without the SS tip compare? I'll have my cloud evo back soon if i just want a bigger load, so Im primarily concerned about efficiency and using less product.
FOR ME, and I am probably the least sophisticated in the ways of weed on here, it is 100% glass all the way - even though on initial use I had pretty great results from the SS tips.

The reason is that I cannot see and monitor what is going on with anything but glass, and if I can't do that I end up with electric-shock inducing coughing fits from inadvertent combustion. Also I can't put the screen in flat side up in anything but straight glass direct draw stems and doing that let me go from having to poke it out to clean it every couple of days to being able to leave it in the stem and clean in place for weeks or even months at a go.

The metal tips help with vaping because of conduction. I prefer to stay with pure convection heating myself. It is likely that my style of vaping leads to combustion with the metal tips because they heat up so much faster than the glass AND you can't see the quality of the vape change. Yeah, I get a ring of tan colored ABV around the edges in the glass, but I always stir a load at least once anyway and it all evens out in the end. I virtually never get combustion with the glass stems, and if I do, its always been because I haven't recharged the Boveda pack recently and its gotten too dried out.

I don't think it was the hourglass one, it was the $325 figured black walnut. <snippage>

This one?

Can anyone comment on the differences in airflow between the standard core, SC3+, and Alpha models? I’m also curious about how the airflow compares to other log vapes, the Woodscents in particular. Is the UD more open? That’s one of my main complaints with the WS, especially when using through glass.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Can anyone comment on the differences in airflow between the standard core, SC3+, and Alpha models? I’m also curious about how the airflow compares to other log vapes, the Woodscents in particular. Is the UD more open? That’s one of my main complaints with the WS, especially when using through glass.
The Alpha is wide open like a life saber.
Not anything like a normal dog or Woodscents both of which are restrictive.

CurryLeafTreehugger

I have an SC2, I had an air core before that. I did not see any difference in restriction of air flow. I don't have either of my new dogs yet (an alpha and a standard dog with sc3+ core) so I can't say if they are LESS restrictive, but I didn't find the ones I already had to be at all restrictive, except when the grind is too fine which allows the herb to pack down when you draw.

Hopefully one day I can get a better grinder that will give me a coarser grind, but for now, the ones I want are manufactured in and sold from Canada only, shipped via postal service, and I can't get postal mail. So I'm stuck with having to stir until such time as I can manage a more proper grind.

Enialis

That's the one.
FOR ME, and I am probably the least sophisticated in the ways of weed on here, it is 100% glass all the way - even though on initial use I had pretty great results from the SS tips.

The reason is that I cannot see and monitor what is going on with anything but glass, and if I can't do that I end up with electric-shock inducing coughing fits from inadvertent combustion. Also I can't put the screen in flat side up in anything but straight glass direct draw stems and doing that let me go from having to poke it out to clean it every couple of days to being able to leave it in the stem and clean in place for weeks or even months at a go.

The metal tips help with vaping because of conduction. I prefer to stay with pure convection heating myself. It is likely that my style of vaping leads to combustion with the metal tips because they heat up so much faster than the glass AND you can't see the quality of the vape change. Yeah, I get a ring of tan colored ABV around the edges in the glass, but I always stir a load at least once anyway and it all evens out in the end. I virtually never get combustion with the glass stems, and if I do, its always been because I haven't recharged the Boveda pack recently and its gotten too dried out.
Thats a good point, being able to view the herb would be a pretty nice feature, though I've never needed to stir or worry about combusting on my Evo. I prefer convection, but since the Underdog is going to be more of a budget saver for me than the evo, im open to the idea of slight convection for more efficient extraction. Im hoping with the SC3+ heater drawing through a small piece will give me enough airflow to fully extract the load via lung power like with the Evo.

I'm thinking I may wait on the large nong as long as I'll be able to fully extract a load at 430ish degrees until its all the way brown with the gong. Is that doable with an SC3+ and a strong set of lungs? Once i get my Evo pack I'll likely use that for anything larger I just want to have some options since I dont know how long its going to take to get serviced. I'm not a huge cloud chaser but after bouncing around from several vapes over the years i didnt fully make the switch until i got the evo and it was between that and one of the logs at the time but I wasnt interested in microdosing or dry hits without a WPA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the Evo and log vapes were essentially the same style of vaporization just on different scales, so the ability to have full extraction via convection on a smaller scale than my evo is what im hoping this turns out to be. I was looking at the Alpha dog in case I needed the extra power but, again, correct me if im wrong, that would essentially have been the same thing as the Evo i already have in terms of vapor production?

CurryLeafTreehugger

That's the one.

Thats a good point, being able to view the herb would be a pretty nice feature <snippage>

Since I have absolutely no basis for input on the rest of what you are asking, let me just say on the issue of stirring - I strongly suspect that if I could get a PROPER grind, I wouldn't need to stir any more at all. I basically do it because my grinder grinds it too fine and it packs down too fast. I used to be able to get shake that was mostly microbuds and I could pretty much load that as-is and it vaped great. Then all the local dispensaries (that I know of) seemed to go to pre-grinding their shake so its about the consistency of tea fines. Stuff comes right through the screens now. So now I HAVE to get regular bud and grind it.

I think I just need a coarser grinder. I only stirred the microbud/shake when I overloaded the stem, which is admittedly a strong tendency of mine.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

Enialis

Since I have absolutely no basis for input on the rest of what you are asking, let me just say on the issue of stirring - I strongly suspect that if I could get a PROPER grind, I wouldn't need to stir any more at all. I basically do it because my grinder grinds it too fine and it packs down too fast. I used to be able to get shake that was mostly microbuds and I could pretty much load that as-is and it vaped great. Then all the local dispensaries (that I know of) seemed to go to pre-grinding their shake so its about the consistency of tea fines. Stuff comes right through the screens now. So now I HAVE to get regular bud and grind it.

I think I just need a coarser grinder. I only stirred the microbud/shake when I overloaded the stem, which is admittedly a strong tendency of mine.
I'm in the same situation, the shake I'm likely to be using most of the time is that pre ground powder stuff from the dispensary. With the Evo its just a matter of using a little extra lung power to extract, whats a good way to use that stuff with a UD? Any specific stem work better than he others for it? I've already read that its not ideal, would something like using a dosing capsule in one of the larger bore stems do the trick?

Enialis,

CurryLeafTreehugger

I'm in the same situation, the shake I'm likely to be using most of the time is that pre ground powder stuff from the dispensary. With the Evo its just a matter of using a little extra lung power to extract, whats a good way to use that stuff with a UD? Any specific stem work better than he others for it? I've already read that its not ideal, would something like using a dosing capsule in one of the larger bore stems do the trick?

Personally I've gone to a finer mesh screen, which was made for me by someone else from larger fine mesh screens he had on hand from an old project. I haven't been able to find fine mesh screens in the size I need since before Covid. I have no idea why they are so hard to find.

EDIT: I should also say, I don't intend to buy any more of it (powdered shake, that would be). Yeah, "real bud" costs me twice as much, but at least I don't inhale the bud while trying to vape it.

Last edited:

Enialis

While I'm thinking about it, do you guys notice any difference in performance when using the UD inverted vs non-inverted? I might be able to save some money if I use it with a hydratube but then I read somewhere else that NOT turning it upside down could make the herb fall out of the stem. Ultimately im going to buy a dhgate sidecar and am trying to decide if I want a smaller 14mm pipe for the UD or a hydratube that also works with my wax pens. Eyeing the two hydratubes on divine tribes website and can't decide if i really need the 14mm hubble bubble or if I should just use the 18mm hydrabomb with adapter

Top Bottom