Underdog Log Vapes

Razhumikin

New dogs landed yesterday! Strangely, my alpha from this drop recieves the same amount of wattage at 10.6 volts as my one from the last drop does at 11.45 volts, not sure if there was a change in the alpha cores between those two drops or its just a natural variation. Either way, getting massive clouds and a perfect roast from my new dogs, cant wait to hear more from other people who indulged in this drop!!!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
New dogs landed yesterday! Strangely, my alpha from this drop recieves the same amount of wattage at 10.6 volts as my one from the last drop does at 11.45 volts, not sure if there was a change in the alpha cores between those two drops or its just a natural variation. Either way, getting massive clouds and a perfect roast from my new dogs, cant wait to hear more from other people who indulged in this drop!!!
I had heard, secondhand, that the current Alphas are actually AlphaXs. I think it was @jasp3r who told me that.

I wonder if that could account for the difference.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer

Good observation @Razhumikin it's not due to change(s) in the core although there have been some little ongoing ones as I experiment and try to decide what I think the performance sweet spot is.. the difference you're noticing is due to the normal ±10% tolerance of the heaters. The tolerance applies to each and every individual heater and also to each batch we have made if that makes sense. Our most recent batch is a little hotter on average than the last and we did just start using elements from that batch on this latest drop (and some customs). :cool::2c:

There are tolerances in a given heater cartridge's resistance, as this will differ slightly from one batch of cartridges to another and even from individual cartridge to cartridge.

@blokenoname - you nailed it as usual.. too bad you're not closer so you could help me get caught up in the shop but I think the commute would be a killer. :cheers:

Q=mcpdt
So if the wood is heavier, m, mass that will require more watts, Q

@GoldenBud - good observation as well and that is something I take into account when testing/designing new iterations of cores/bodies. :science:

I had heard, secondhand, that the current Alphas are actually AlphaXs. I think it was @jasp3r who told me that.

I wonder if that could account for the difference.

@Grass Yes - can confirm that at this point in time when we say something is an "Alpha" what that actually means is that it's an "AlphaX". What "AlphaX" actually actually means is that it's got the highest density of cutting edge (for us) awesomeness that I was able to fit into it during the that most current production run. In this case it means that I've been integrating features (that will physically fit) from the Alpha+ into the standard Alpha (aka, AlphaX) core. I haven't done any math to back it up but the current AlphaX seems to be providing 80-90% the performance of the Alpha+ to the average user now which is probably about as good as I suspect it'll get on this design step.

We have been discussing this naming scheme and trying to decide if we should stick with the 'X' label as a variable or try to nail things down a little more firmly with version numbers (ie, Alpha 2.3 or SC3.2 at the time of this post) to provide a little more data. I prefer version numbers and use them internally but I have had more than a few people say they thought it was more confusing and didn't like it so I'm not sure which way to go just yet.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
@blokenoname - you nailed it as usual.. too bad you're not closer so you could help me get caught up in the shop but I think the commute would be a killer. :cheers:
I guess so! 😁🤷‍♂️ A real shame, we haven't developed beaming yet 😃 🍻

science friday GIF

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
My 5th Dog arrived safe and sound yesterday, beautiful Oregon Myrtle, had to hit “add to cart” when I saw it. Didn’t order any extras, no stems or anything. Open up the package and the free “swag pack” has stems in it, including one of the new cooling stems. Can imagine the convo between @underdog and @underdogette while they’re processing orders in the kennel, “hey, take a look at this dude, he thinks he can order a new Dog and not get more stems? We’ll send him some more free stems, see how he likes that.”

There may be others offering as good of a customer service experience, but definitely no one doing it better.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
@Razhumikin @underdog my bad brothers, sorry, the wood is not a part of the heat exchanger - it's the insulator, so, if the wood is less dense and weighs less, you will need to use higher wattage. heavier wood - less wattage.
q=mcpdt is for the heat exchanger
Yes. The heater in a unit built from denser woods might need less wattage output to produce the same quality/amount of vapor, than a unit made from less dense wood. But that wasn't the question.

Question was rather, why two units with an identical heater will churn out slightly different wattages at the same voltage input. On the readout of a VVPS for instance, that shows you voltage, amperage and wattage... and not in actual real live vapor production.

So assume we have a heater, that nominally churns out 10W at 12V. That would give it a resistance of 14.4 Ohm. Now one unit produces the advertised 10W at a 12V input, while the second unit produces 10.5W or even 11W at a 12V input... and that's due to production tolerances in the cartridge's resistance. The second unit's heater has a slightly lower resistance of only 13.7 Ohm or even 13.1 Ohm in our example, instead of the nominal 14.4 Ohm and so produces a slightly higher wattage output at the same voltage input level.

Looper714

I like to just keep my alpha at 11.45 volts, for me that gives me avb that resembles 390F on devices with more exact temp control. I would start with that and then adjust the voltage in .05 increments up or down until you get your desired extraction level!
First impressions of my new Underdog alpha, and assume it's not the same alpha core as the new batch release since the Poplar alpha was on the UD site prior to the new releases. I have done two sessions, the first with the glass and nylon direct draw stems, and the second session a little while later with both wpa's. I set the meter to 11.5, but it kept jumping anywhere between 11.3 - 11.6 and difficult to get it settled to a set temp, which was finally 11.4. I do want to say this is my first log vape, and expect a learning curve, and appreciate any advice/tips. I much prefer the glass pieces to the nylon, couldn't get any vapor from either nylon stem but did get some effects (do I need to keep trying them, or what is everyone's thoughts on the nylon). I think I'm used to a hotter temp coming from the Arizer EQ as I set that temp to 455 normally. Using this vape is a totally different experience than the EQ, and I like the functionality of the UD so much better. The vapor from the glass was smooth, tasty, and pure. I got 3 good hits from the glass DD stem, and 1 good rip and mediocre second from the glass wpa. I mainly vape thru water. I'll keep experimenting with everything including voltage, load size, screen placement, etc. Cheers

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
I set the meter to 11.5, but it kept jumping anywhere between 11.3 - 11.6 and difficult to get it settled to a set temp, which was finally 11.4. I do want to say this is my first log vape, and expect a learning curve, and appreciate any advice/tips. I much prefer the glass pieces to the nylon, couldn't get any vapor from either nylon stem but did get some effects (do I need to keep trying them, or what is everyone's thoughts on the nylon).

Don't bother too much about the voltage readout jumping up/down a fraction of a decimal or so, as this will not translate 1:1 into noticeable temperature changes. Hot resistance of the heater is fluctuating a bit, till the unit is heat soaked and thermal equilibrium reached. And if the readout is a bit too sensitive, it'll just display these minute resistance changes as voltage drift.

Best practice is to heat soak the unit for about 20 minutes at 12V, once you've plugged it in, till the shell gets warm to the touch. Then turn down the voltage to your desired temperature. I usually go for .5 steps in voltage input, when testing out, which setting/temperature I like best.

What's the problem with the Nylon Stem/NonG exactly!? The small stainless steel tips are usually the harder hitters with Log Vapes (in comparison to the glass stems & adapters, that are designed for larger loads) 🪵💨💨💨💪, though they are also designed as one hitters!

Rule of thumb with the Nylons: Don't push in their screen too deep (5mm to 10mm depth max should suffice here) and don't overpack them!
Best practice is to load them up, by sucking your flower into the steel tip like you'd do with a straw. Then give the load a slight tap with your fingertip to even out and flatten the surface (don't compress it), remove any overhanging bits and pieces... and then simply insert them into the Doggie's core and take one nice, deep toke! Should produce a fat cloud immediately.

Looper714

Don't bother too much about the voltage readout jumping up/down a fraction of a decimal or so, as this will not translate 1:1 into noticeable temperature changes. Hot resistance of the heater is fluctuating a bit, till the unit is heat soaked and thermal equilibrium reached. And if the readout is a bit too sensitive, it'll just display these minute resistance changes as voltage drift.

Best practice is to heat soak the unit for about 20 minutes at 12V, once you've plugged it in, till the shell gets warm to the touch. Then turn down the voltage to your desired temperature. I usually go for .5 steps in voltage input, when testing out, which setting/temperature I like best.

What's the problem with the Nylon Stem/NonG exactly!? The small stainless steel tips are usually the harder hitters with Log Vapes (in comparison to the glass stems & adapters, that are designed for larger loads) 🪵💨💨💨💪, though they are also designed as one hitters!

Rule of thumb with the Nylons: Don't push in their screen too deep (5mm to 10mm depth max should suffice here) and don't overpack them!
Best practice is to load them up, by sucking your flower into the steel tip like you'd do with a straw. Then give the load a slight tap with your fingertip to even out and flatten the surface (don't compress it), remove any overhanging bits and pieces... and then simply insert them into the Doggie's core and take one nice, deep toke! Should produce a fat cloud immediately.
I've been using the UD as my only vape for the last 5 days since I've received it, and still getting used to it. It's a learning curve that I'm enjoying because vaping is exciting again using this log vape. I am liking the nylon direct draw very much and figured out that packing loosely and not too much herb is beneficial. Thanks for the tips using the nylon stems, feedback is always appreciated! One thing I'm doing with all the stems is slightly rotating them around the heater to evenly cook the herb, which is helpful especially with the glass stems. Still playing around with the voltage and again thanks for the tips! I'm still experimenting with both wpa's as I'm used to vaping through water however not getting the expected results, so far the glass dd stem is the best hitter for me. Keep the tips coming and I'll keep posting my experiences. Cheers

pomogirl

Pulled my dog out of the pound. Been running mostly my dab rig the past few months. Forgot how much fun smoking flower again is. Was even able to find my custom stem!

I do love those curvy, figured pieces. Nice stem. And it's nice to be able to rotate vapes etc.

Good observation @Razhumikin it's not due to change(s) in the core although there have been some little ongoing ones as I experiment and try to decide what I think the performance sweet spot is.. the difference you're noticing is due to the normal ±10% tolerance of the heaters. The tolerance applies to each and every individual heater and also to each batch we have made if that makes sense. Our most recent batch is a little hotter on average than the last and we did just start using elements from that batch on this latest drop (and some customs). :cool::2c:

@GoldenBud - good observation as well and that is something I take into account when testing/designing new iterations of cores/bodies. :science:

@Grass Yes - can confirm that at this point in time when we say something is an "Alpha" what that actually means is that it's an "AlphaX". What "AlphaX" actually actually means is that it's got the highest density of cutting edge (for us) awesomeness that I was able to fit into it during the that most current production run. In this case it means that I've been integrating features (that will physically fit) from the Alpha+ into the standard Alpha (aka, AlphaX) core. I haven't done any math to back it up but the current AlphaX seems to be providing 80-90% the performance of the Alpha+ to the average user now which is probably about as good as I suspect it'll get on this design step.

We have been discussing this naming scheme and trying to decide if we should stick with the 'X' label as a variable or try to nail things down a little more firmly with version numbers (ie, Alpha 2.3 or SC3.2 at the time of this post) to provide a little more data. I prefer version numbers and use them internally but I have had more than a few people say they thought it was more confusing and didn't like it so I'm not sure which way to go just yet.

That's good to know about the latest drop Types being Alpha X's. I like when you use version names/numbers as long as we can compare and contrast different versions.

Marlon Rando

Pulled my dog out of the pound. Been running mostly my dab rig the past few months. Forgot how much fun smoking flower again is. Was even able to find my custom stem!

similar here, Alpha is in full rotation again, had some decent bud past week for these crazy dayz we all goin thru, all da best dogs!

Top Bottom