Underdog Log Vapes

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I don't really feel the need to stir. My abv gets pretty uniformly dark as is.

I could stir and probably get another hit, but it'd taste like ABV and also stirring would loosen up the material and cause a whole mess...

NizzyJones

Stirring isn't really necessary I think the cores he uses now are a little more powerful than the early ones. Sometimes if you've got a little too much in the stem or it over-compacts you'll need to either stir it up or tap it out and suck it back up mostly just to improve air flow.

As far as weed falling out of the stem it won't really be a problem, almost never happens. I managed to get a few crumbs in the inner tube and I didn't even notice until I went to take another hit some time later, just tapped em out on my knee and kept vaping :p

TeeJay1952

I LOVE to stir! First hit is taste blast then I pick out each stick as it reveals itself. Second hit is money shot but as long as my 7th floor pick can "Snap" sticks as I stir I know "There is gold in them thar hills!" Eventually all that is left is a fine powder. Dust if you will. Into the jar it goes for second life as butter.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I LOVE to stir! First hit is taste blast then I pick out each stick as it reveals itself. Second hit is money shot but as long as my 7th floor pick can "Snap" sticks as I stir I know "There is gold in them thar hills!" Eventually all that is left is a fine powder. Dust if you will. Into the jar it goes for second life as butter.
When I use the glass stem, I use my 7th floor pick to break it up as I go, too! Sometimes just break a little piece of Bud off and put that in there. The act of breaking it up as it gets more dry is really calming for me at times.
The ss tips are good for when you don't want to stir, but you have to load it more often.

Sometimes I'm in the mood to stir and sometimes I'm not.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey Dogs.. Saturday.. wooo!!!

Looks like most of you peeps use your Dogs like we do: no stirring with Nylon Stems and NonGs and optional stirring with Direct Draw and GonGs.

I think people coming from non-Logs tend to overcomplicate things when they first get a Log. That's why we recommend they just try it before they start getting crazy with alternative power supplies, moving screens around, buying big expensive glass, etc. There's something to be said for the simplicity of loading a stem (or 5), sitting back and just 'breathing'. :brow:

indicandescent

Dismembered Member
It does not matter whether I load jusssst enough to cover the screen or I fill it up nearly to the rim of the stem, I always seem to kill a load in one hit. Sure, I could stir the darkest top layer to the bottom and go for another draw but if I hit it much longer it would basically get blackened. So maybe my pup is a tad hot or maybe my lungs are just that amazingly powerful.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
When I use the glass stem, I use my 7th floor pick to break it up as I go, too!

Yup my 7th floor pick is the go to for stirring a GonG or stem. It just works beautifully for me & I stir after every hit but I take long, deep draws of at least 20 seconds.

NonG's are hit & quit but I am trying to get out of the habit of a 2 x NonG rush every time.

Stevenski,
Reactions: shredder

Bogart

Good Morning All,

I had a chance to play with my new dog yesterday. I really like it. The fact that it can just sit for hours, and be ready whenever I am is fantastic. So is the simplicity of it. There is also no doubt that a bit of a learning curve is involved. I managed to combust my material twice. The only stem I have experimented with so far is the direct-draw nylon. I am a lightweight, so the smaller the bowl, the better.

So what can I do to avoid combustion? I guess there are several options I would like your advice on:

1. Technique. What can I do with my existing equipment to make things a bit cooler? Is there a better or worse way to draw to avoid overheating?

2. Stems. Does the direct-draw glass or the ss lite draw cooler? Those are the other two stems I have.

3. Power supplies. I can't imagine needing more than 12V, so something that can simply adjust the voltage downward seems like it might be a good idea. The problem appears to the the quality of the dimmers that are readily available. A hair to the left, too cold. A hair to the right, too hot. And the digital remote dimmers appear to have no display to indicate where they are set, so you are flying blind. Any suggestions on this front?

4. Different wall wart??? I have not seen this discussed, but I have another wall wart that I could try. It is a 12V just like the one that came with my UD, but it's output is 1A instead of the UD's 1.25A. Would this be worth a try? I don't know my electricity well enough to know the relationship between volts and amps in this regard.

I will be back at it this morning. Experimenting. Chasing that sweet spot between too hot and too cold. Thanks to UD and Lady UD for making a great product and being such a pleasure to deal with. And I look forward your suggestions for how to tame this dawg just a tad.

Bogart

NizzyJones

There's the LED dimmer with the voltmeter UD sells, but I was getting along fine with the same thing without the voltmeter. Or even without a dimmer at all.

One thing to look at is how tightly packed your load is. That's the main reason the nylon stems run hotter -- they have more restricted air flow. So try to pack just the smallest amount of herb you can in them and maybe even try a coarser grind. The glass stems will run cooler as well.

Don't switch wall warts -- the UD wall wart is rated for 1.25A but isn't actually pulling that much ( Current = Voltage / Resistance ).

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Draw faster with the ss tip. I promise it will help. I pull as hard as I can with ss. Glass is a little more forgiving.
Try just covering the screen in a glass stem and give it a go. I was combusting once and a while when I first started trying to use the ss tipped stem. I've even put a second screen in the front of the load in an ss stem. When I do that I can draw just regular without combusting.

hillbill

I run my 2 year old dog at 12.7v on a buck/boost and have gone to 13v without combustion. Get that dimmer. You must have a hottie! Vape hits take time as the vapor is being produced as consumed. Faster draws only mix more ambient air from the room and reducing temp. Each vape has a sweet spot at which it performs best this way. Use and notice what is going on. Work with the vape. Sometimes it even feels like you are just letting the vapor drain off the herb. Have fun!

6079Smith

And the digital remote dimmers appear to have no display to indicate where they are set, so you are flying blind. Any suggestions on this front?

Underdog recommended me some barrel-plug, inline led status indicators that worked like a charm :) They make the rf control led dimmers a very viable and budget friendly option.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/82-12680

You can check out post #13110, pg. 525 for a pic and thoughts

underdog

Manufacturer
Good Morning All,

I had a chance to play with my new dog yesterday. I really like it. The fact that it can just sit for hours, and be ready whenever I am is fantastic. So is the simplicity of it. There is also no doubt that a bit of a learning curve is involved. I managed to combust my material twice. The only stem I have experimented with so far is the direct-draw nylon. I am a lightweight, so the smaller the bowl, the better.

So what can I do to avoid combustion? I guess there are several options I would like your advice on:

1. Technique. What can I do with my existing equipment to make things a bit cooler? Is there a better or worse way to draw to avoid overheating?

2. Stems. Does the direct-draw glass or the ss lite draw cooler? Those are the other two stems I have.

3. Power supplies. I can't imagine needing more than 12V, so something that can simply adjust the voltage downward seems like it might be a good idea. The problem appears to the the quality of the dimmers that are readily available. A hair to the left, too cold. A hair to the right, too hot. And the digital remote dimmers appear to have no display to indicate where they are set, so you are flying blind. Any suggestions on this front?

4. Different wall wart??? I have not seen this discussed, but I have another wall wart that I could try. It is a 12V just like the one that came with my UD, but it's output is 1A instead of the UD's 1.25A. Would this be worth a try? I don't know my electricity well enough to know the relationship between volts and amps in this regard.

I will be back at it this morning. Experimenting. Chasing that sweet spot between too hot and too cold. Thanks to UD and Lady UD for making a great product and being such a pleasure to deal with. And I look forward your suggestions for how to tame this dawg just a tad.

Bogart

1 - Options: draw faster, blow into the core a second or two before hitting (blow some of the heat away), add an extension cord (or another if already using one)

2 - The larger the stem the cooler they run so the Direct Draw (glass) runs cooler, then the Nylon and the SS Lite is probably the hottest.

3 - Try one of our LED dimmers (LED as in LED screen)? That's my primary suggestion for sake of ease/cost.

4 - Probably won't make a significant difference but you can try it, it probably runs .1v lower than the stock one.

I run my 2 year old dog at 12.7v on a buck/boost and have gone to 13v without combustion. Get that dimmer. You must have a hottie! Vape hits take time as the vapor is being produced as consumed. Faster draws only mix more ambient air from the room and reducing temp. Each vape has a sweet spot at which it performs best this way. Use and notice what is going on. Work with the vape. Sometimes it even feels like you are just letting the vapor drain off the herb. Have fun!

Yeah most of the new Dogs are much hotter than previous generation ones with a combustion points below 12v. :o

Bogart

Options: draw faster, blow into the core a second or two before hitting (blow some of the heat away), add an extension cord (or another if already using one)

2 - The larger the stem the cooler they run so the Direct Draw (glass) runs cooler, then the Nylon and the SS Lite is probably the hottest.

Thanks for the tips, UD. Things are taming already, with the proper technique. I may still consider a dimmer, but right now I would have to TRY to combust. Maybe a new dog can teach me some old tricks?

Thank you again.

Bogart

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks for the tips, UD. Things are taming already, with the proper technique. I may still consider a dimmer, but right now I would have to TRY to combust. Maybe a new dog can teach me some old tricks?

Thank you again.

Bogart

Awesome, glad to hear it!

Ordered some Schott 14.5 & 18mm stems to trial in my UD. If they don't work I will be out only $10 but have a new piece to console myself with so I still win. If they fit I have a source for GonG's as thick as the thick D/D stem.

Cool, let us know how they work out.. :tup:

underdog,
Reactions: Madcap79

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
It does not matter whether I load jusssst enough to cover the screen or I fill it up nearly to the rim of the stem, I always seem to kill a load in one hit. Sure, I could stir the darkest top layer to the bottom and go for another draw but if I hit it much longer it would basically get blackened. So maybe my pup is a tad hot or maybe my lungs are just that amazingly powerful.

Me too my man, IMO probably a bit of both! My lungs are strong and my dog runs hot :) after hit 1 the top half is coffee brown and the bottom is gold. I tend to fill pretty full so some green on sides, I do stir but I get maximum 3 hits (2 good ones) and it is dark as can be :D that's dry or wet for me

Actually took some video but forgot my computer at work :/ tomorrow!

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Cool, let us know how they work out.. :tup:

If they fit you were going to be the first I let know :). I measured the id of my GonG & thick D/D stem & they appear to be 16mm 5/8" so it should be a good fit. If so they will be a cheap & durable solution that can be cut down from 5" or left as a long GonG.

Me too my man, IMO probably a bit of both! My lungs are strong and my dog runs hot :) after hit 1 the top half is coffee brown and the bottom is gold. I tend to fill pretty full so some green on sides, I do stir but I get maximum 3 hits (2 good ones) and it is dark as can be :D that's dry or wet for me

Actually took some video but forgot my computer at work :/ tomorrow!

That is exactly how mine runs. I ain't fucking with it as it is tuned just right. Someone once asked me why I use my UD when I can buy whatever vape I want. By way of answering I picked up a NonG & raised it over my head & dropped it onto a concrete floor where it bounced under the coffee table :lol:.

Living in a country as remote as Australia is means I need a relatively unbreakable solution that delivers hard hitting results. Lucky for me I happen to own a few unbreakables that suit me just fine.

Top Bottom