Company Rep
no one mentioned Ted Lasso yet.
Also watch: Slow Horses, Afterparty, Ted Lasso
I have heard this a few times now...I better have a look
Edit...soccer?
images

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The Bear is back on Hulu, I'll probably finish it within a week.

Haha but then they'll all be finished! Currently rewatching season 1 before starting season 2 it is a good binge show though too the way the episodes are structured and all the food... That's why FX chose to release it all episodes on Hulu, instead of weekly, or on the network

Surprised that no one mentioned Ted Lasso yet.

I actually did... :tup:was a fitting end

I have heard this a few times now...I better have a look
Edit...soccer?
images

The series just ended, you've heard of it because it was so well received, as one of the first Apple original shows, launched during pandemic lockdown... It is based on a character Jason Sudeikis created for NBC sports promos, about a viral video of the coach dancing, so the series has him as a football coach going to England when he knows nothing about soccer, so everyone there hates him taking over the team but he is so good natured and the whole show has a general positive vibe (similar to the vibes in Schitt's Creek but better) it is also co-created by Bill Lawrence (who did Scrubs and cougar town) who created Shrinking (with Jason Segal and one of the stars from TedL who is also a writer comedian) and it's good too

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Surprised that no one mentioned Ted Lasso yet.

I heard Lasso was a popular show. But I tried watching the first two or three episodes, and it did nothing for me. So I never got back to it.
Does it get better later in the season? I was just bored with those first episodes.

The series just ended, you've heard of it because it was so well received, as one of the first Apple original shows, launched during pandemic lockdown... It is based on a character Jason Sudeikis created for NBC sports promos, about a viral video of the coach dancing, so the series has him as a football coach going to England when he knows nothing about soccer, so everyone there hates him taking over the team but he is so good natured and the whole show has a general positive vibe (similar to the vibes in Schitt's Creek but better) it is also co-created by Bill Lawrence (who did Scrubs and cougar town) who created Shrinking (with Jason Segal and one of the stars from TedL who is also a writer comedian) and it's good too

Hmmm. I actually liked Schitt's Creek...so Maybe I should give this Lasso thing another try. Maybe it was just that it was focussed around sportspall stuff, and I'm not a sportsball kinda guy at all.

Shit Snacks

I heard Lasso was a popular show. But I tried watching the first two or three episodes, and it did nothing for me. So I never got back to it.
Does it get better later in the season? I was just bored with those first episodes.

Hmmm. I actually liked Schitt's Creek...so Maybe I should give this Lasso thing another try. Maybe it was just that it was focussed around sportspall stuff, and I'm not a sportsball kinda guy at all.

I absolutely hate sports, and have avoided watching other shows for that reason, but no one can tell you to watch something or if you should like it that is purely up to you how much you want to watch lol I enjoyed it

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

but no one can tell you to watch something or if you should like it

Actually, they can.

I mean, isn't one of the reasons for this thread to be able to communicate to others what you think they should watch and why you think they should like it? That seems to be the main reasons I come here at least...To either tell others what I think that they should watch/like, and to hear from others as to what they think I should watch/like?

Shit Snacks

Actually, they can.

I mean, isn't one of the reasons for this thread to be able to communicate to others what you think they should watch and why you think they should like it? That seems to be the main reasons I come here at least...To either tell others what I think that they should watch/like, and to hear from others as to what they think I should watch/like?

Sorry I think you misunderstood me, what I meant to imply was, I already suggested it was worth watching as did Pak, and others here in the past... But you said:
heard Lasso was a popular show. But I tried watching the first two or three episodes, and it did nothing for me. So I never got back to it.
Maybe I should give this Lasso thing another try.

So it sounds like you already gave it a fair shake and wasn't into it, obviously anyone can tell you to do anything, I'm saying they have no basis to do so, you already tried it and say you don't like it, why should people encourage you to continue, we don't know what you like, only you do... That's what I mean no one can tell you what to watch or what you should like... Popular opinion is pretty meaningless imo ultimately for things like this it's too personal (most reviews are bullshit you have to really have a feel for a critic and what they like in their perspective to know if it's something for you, I look at the show's creators and other information to help decide if it's a show I'm interested in, once I watch I always give more of a fair shake especially for comedies to watch an entire season at least, but there are some that I cannot even get through although I have watched bad stuff without issue before there are different levels for everyone lol)

For sure, I would not know what to stream but this thread gives me a starting point...so much shit to choose from.

Yeah so the starting points are already here, I'm saying I'm not going to continue arguing with someone to say they should watch something because I like it! Clearly I give plenty of starting point suggestions here, and I try to mention other shows they are similar to, so people can get a better sense of what they might be interested in...

Truly the streaming services and algorithms are all terrible, it's pretty impossible to find shows if you're not like me and know everything that is on and being made currently? Pretty overwhelming, part of the issues in general, too much content that is not supported... I don't know

Anyway yeah so I said my piece haha I could name more shows that I think fit this trend of good natured sitcoms, similar to Schitts and Ted vibes, one of those gets more serious than the other, nothing quite the same, there are some I like even more!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Ramahs

So it sounds like you already gave it a fair shake and wasn't into it, obviously anyone can tell you to do anything, I'm saying they have no basis to do so, you already tried it and say you don't like it, why should people encourage you to continue, we don't know what you like, only you do... That's what I mean no one can tell you what to watch or what you should like... Popular opinion is pretty meaningless imo ultimately for things like this it's too personal (most reviews are bullshit you have to really have a feel for a critic and what they like in their perspective to know if it's something for you, I look at the show's creators and other information to help decide if it's a show I'm interested in, once I watch I always give more of a fair shake especially for comedies to watch an entire season at least, but there are some that I cannot even get through although I have watched bad stuff without issue before there are different levels for everyone lol)

Sure. But I've been in this situation before.

I watched a bit of a new show, hear a new band, start a new book, but it never clicked. It just wasn't striking me as very enjoyable to experience at that time.

Eventually, after some time has passed, I see enough suggestions from enough sources that tend to be into the same kinds of things as me, to give the thing another go, and for what could be a shitload of possible reasons, it clicks this time and I get into it.

It happens from time to time, and I have found that the hits are usually worth the misses :)

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

I'd sorta reluctantly started watching that Righteous Gemstones show and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I binged it straight to the current episode. The McBride work I've seen often has this offensiveness which I don't necessarily dislike, but it annoys me if there's not some sort of satirical or ridiculing element to it. That other HBO show he did with Jody Hill about the vice principals fell into that trap a couple of times to the point it got kinda off putting. But this one about the Gemstones is well executed. Great cast too. Even Adam Levine is tolerable to watch lol.

I've really started appreciating Walton Goggins recently after seeing Justified where he, as the seasons progressed, made a memorable baddie out of Boyd Crowder. (he was also a main attraction in the vice principals show for me and like him as Baby Billy Freeman as well)
Season 4 was actually my overall favorite, they tried something a little different, it was getting better and better each season for me, a lot of people love 2 the most though...

Yeah s1 was mostly the setup. S2 and s3 were good but for me not the best of the series. 4, 5 and 6 were excellent. I think the 5th was my favorite, 6th was a bit less engaging because it's obvious beforehand where the finale is gravitating to. The Ava part played by Joelle Carter (whom I had never heard of before) was such a strong performance. There's this moment at the end of a episode where in like 2 seconds she has her face showing subsequently three emotions that suited the moment perfectly, very impressive.

Right now I'm watching the s8 of Chicago PD it's such mess that show. I mean it's pretty good acting and characters considering the genre, nice pacing and all. But realism is often way off, it's pretty much a commercial for police overstepping their legal boundaries lol and like 9/10 cases are directly involving one of the main characters on a highly personal level. It's the character of Hank Voight by Jason Beghe that keeps me hooked though. He's such a sizzling badass god damn he makes me tolerate all the mediocrity.

Oh and I also finally watched final season of Veep and it was actually one of the funniest in the series. Glad I decided not to skip it because I was non stop laughing my ass off.

Razhumikin

I'd sorta reluctantly started watching that Righteous Gemstones show and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I binged it straight to the current episode. The McBride work I've seen often has this offensiveness which I don't necessarily dislike, but it annoys me if there's not some sort of satirical or ridiculing element to it. That other HBO show he did with Jody Hill about the vice principals fell into that trap a couple of times to the point it got kinda off putting. But this one about the Gemstones is well executed. Great cast too. Even Adam Levine is tolerable to watch lol.

I've really started appreciating Walton Goggins recently after seeing Justified where he, as the seasons progressed, made a memorable baddie out of Boyd Crowder. (he was also a main attraction in the vice principals show for me and like him as Baby Billy Freeman as well)

Yeah s1 was mostly the setup. S2 and s3 were good but for me not the best of the series. 4, 5 and 6 were excellent. I think the 5th was my favorite, 6th was a bit less engaging because it's obvious beforehand where the finale is gravitating to. The Ava part played by Joelle Carter (whom I had never heard of before) was such a strong performance. There's this moment at the end of a episode where in like 2 seconds she has her face showing subsequently three emotions that suited the moment perfectly, very impressive.

Right now I'm watching the s8 of Chicago PD it's such mess that show. I mean it's pretty good acting and characters considering the genre, nice pacing and all. But realism is often way off, it's pretty much a commercial for police overstepping their legal boundaries lol and like 9/10 cases are directly involving one of the main characters on a highly personal level. It's the character of Hank Voight by Jason Beghe that keeps me hooked though. He's such a sizzling badass god damn he makes me tolerate all the mediocrity.

Oh and I also finally watched final season of Veep and it was actually one of the funniest in the series. Glad I decided not to skip it because I was non stop laughing my ass off.
Yea i liked s1 of the righteous gemstones a lot, season 2 im pretty meh on, but s3 is showing some promise. I feel like the cast is doing all the work on that show, as the plot isnt very interesting and the writing isnt particularly great either, but by god I could watch John Goodman read the phonebook and be captivated. I think a lot of that "offensiveness" came from McBride misreading why people liked Eastbound and Down, but hopefully that keeps fading over time.

Shit Snacks

Haha yeah it is a fun show, one of their best projects ultimately, vice principals was a tough watch but it ended up pretty positive, I still never watched most of eastbound because it was so hard to get through the first season lol I haven't really seen their movies either (Danny and Jody) haven't started season 3 yet but I did finally finish Succession and Barry! Onto Perry Mason S2 (I'm watching Somebody Somewhere S2 too and it's quite good, and The Other Too too!)

Yes all around just such a fantastic piece of television, season 5 was a bit disappointing for me after getting hype for who the villains were and the highs of season 4 probably? Danny and the knife though... Amazing lol "well shit Danny, would have said something, but I didn't see it either" classic buildup to fall down, literally! Series finale was strong

Yes such a fantastic finale, the whole arc of the series, and it changed showrunners, but they found a good groove for the characters, a great example of watchable worst of the worst type people and consistently hilarious

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Yeah Succession is probably next for me. Barry final season didnt do much for me while the previous seasons were quite captivating and decorated with some stellar moments acting wise. It kinda felt like they wanted to wrap all loose ends up to give the viewer complete closure, which is a rookie storytelling urge tbh in an otherwise pleasing sequence of events. The show imo also at some point started to suffer from the rift between the dramatic and the comedic and it never really found a way to recover from that.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,

Shit Snacks

Yeah Succession is probably next for me.

It's a good (big showy) ride, but it's not thaaat great, pretty overrated imo, though still great, very well done nevertheless...

Barry final season didnt do much for me while the previous seasons were quite captivating and decorated with some stellar moments acting wise. It kinda felt like they wanted to wrap all loose ends up to give the viewer complete closure, which is a rookie storytelling urge tbh in an otherwise pleasing sequence of events. The show imo also at some point started to suffer from the rift between the dramatic and the comedic and it never really found a way to recover from that.

So similar to Justified interviews with Graham Yost, there's someone who did an interview with Bill Hader after every episode premiered as well... I highly recommend reading some of those if you're interested in some of the narrative choices, I read the one for the finale, they actually are not focused on the viewer at all, they are trying to follow the story and tell the best story possible... (the main characters who were honest with themselves about themselves were able to change and get out alive ultimately) It's actually really interesting to read about and made me appreciate it more, I always found the show to be a bit up and down regardless, but when it hits yeah it really hits, from a filmmaking perspective I think it is more impressive, reminds me more of Saul/Bad and Mr Robot in that way honestly...

Last edited:

florduh

30 Rock was a masterpiece. More jpm (jokes per minute) than any show I can think of.

"Boy, it's crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up. Different time, the '60s..."

florduh

Writer's Strike Update: The Studios have no interest in negotiating. Their stated plan is to wait until writers start losing their apartments and houses.

Keep in mind, the total financial ask from the WGA is equal to about THREE studio executive salaries.

I don't really have words for how evil these fucks are. I encourage everyone to pirate their content until further notice.

“The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,” a studio executive told Deadline. Acknowledging the cold-as-ice approach, several other sources reiterated the statement. One insider called it “a cruel but necessary evil.”

That's funny. When it come to the business scumbags who rule this country, I can think of some other cruel, but absolutely necessary evils.....

alfred hitchcock workout GIF

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Writer's Strike Update: The Studios have no interest in negotiating. Their stated plan is to wait until writers start losing their apartments and houses.

Keep in mind, the total financial ask from the WGA is equal to about THREE studio executive salaries.

I don't really have words for how evil these fucks are. I encourage everyone to pirate their content until further notice.

That's funny. When it come to the business scumbags who rule this country, I can think of some other cruel, but absolutely necessary evils.....

alfred hitchcock workout GIF

Haha yeah, from what I'm hearing on the writer side, this is simply a disgusting scare tactic as well that they are not falling for... Trying to pressure and avoid actors striking too, but studio heads still don't respect the writers at all and they can all get fucked

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Haha yeah, from what I'm hearing on the writer side, this is simply a disgusting scare tactic as well that they are not falling for... Trying to pressure and avoid actors striking too, but studio heads still don't respect the writers at all and they can all get fucked
Yeah. It is wild to me that they would want that message out there so clearly. It's just inhumane, which tracks I guess.

Once SAG-AFTRA is striking too I feel like this threat carries even less credibility.

florduh

Haha yeah, from what I'm hearing on the writer side, this is simply a disgusting scare tactic as well that they are not falling for...

It's a negotiating tactic for sure. But I'm just saying.... the fact these scumbags are comfortable saying...in public.... "I want the people whose work paid for my mansions and yacht to live on the street"

I dunno. I'm trying to choose my words carefully here. But I think it's a failing of our society that they can say this sort of shit without fearing for their lives.

Shit Snacks

Yeah. It is wild to me that they would want that message out there so clearly. It's just inhumane, which tracks I guess.

Once SAG-AFTRA is striking too I feel like this threat carries even less credibility.
It's a negotiating tactic for sure. But I'm just saying.... the fact these scumbags are comfortable saying...in public.... "I want the people whose work paid for my mansions and yacht to live on the street"

I dunno. I'm trying to choose my words carefully here. But I think it's a failing of our society that they can say this sort of shit without fearing for their lives.

Exactly, I'm saying they specifically had this article published, as a scare tactic, partly for SAG etc. Also there's quote from an Apple executive that they don't want to give in because it will mean other parts of the company will unionize to get more money and better benefits... They are all greedy at the top and especially in this industry, exploiting the writers was part of the foundation, everything is broken

florduh

Shit Snacks

Top Bottom