TV Shows - General Discussion

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The show is fictional... Inspired by the likes of Murdoch and Redstone, but entirely loose

Yes. That's what I'm saying. It's roughly about them, or people like them.
It's basically the same story. Selling Faux (FOX) News to the idiots.

Last edited:
Ramahs,

florduh

It's roughly about them, or people like them.

You're not wrong.

Rupert apparently has his own Ewan. He was worried his own brother was talking to the Succession people.

There are big differences. Waystar-Royco seems like a much bigger company than 20th Century Fox. I doubt Murdoch owned theme parks and cruise ships would be successful in the real world, for example.

Selling Faux (FOX) News to the idiots

The Fox News/ATN/political stuff doesn't play a huge role in the show. But it does make an important point. The Fox/ATN execs aren't "true believers".

They simply want to provide entertainment to old scared white people. And hey...if this gets them to vote for politicians who virtue signal to racists AND do big giveaways to corporations and rich people...that's a win/win. Ad revenue on the front end, tax cuts and subsidies on the back end.

Fox/Waystar executives live in Manhattan and LA. Culturally, they are wealthy libs. My favorite anecdote from the Tucker firing is that Rupert Murdoch realized he was engaged to a lady who was a big Tucker/Fox News fan. He was so disgusted by someone who genuinely bought the bullshit he's selling that he called the wedding off.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The only reason anyone works with those entities is for the privilege of selling their soul :D

I was talking about creators in particular, because unfortunately most of them must rely on these big companies in order to bring their projects to fruition, broken system etc.

joupotu

The show is fictional... Inspired by the likes of Murdoch and Redstone, but entirely loose
I'm not quite sure if Redstone compares to Murdoch. He did own comedy central home
of jon stewart's daily show, etc. Murdoch'd have put Gutfeld in as host of the Daily Show.

joupotu,

Shit Snacks

I'm not quite sure if Redstone compares to Murdoch. He did own comedy central home
of jon stewart's daily show, etc. Murdoch'd have put Gutfeld in as host of the Daily Show.

lol Viacom is a huge company that owns a lot more than that and has merged with CBS (again) now they push the Paramount brand, a lot of the talk of who would take over Viacom when the guy dies inspired that aspect and name of Succession for sure

florduh

Also before the sale to Disney, Rupert allowed all sorts of "degeneracy" on the main Fox broadcast network and the Fox movie studios. It wasn't all right wing content.

Rupert literally said during ATN's recent legal drama: "there is no Red or Blue....only green". And he wasn't talking about the Green Party. Rupert gives the audience what they want. And on Fox News this is the kind of shit they want:

hb7046g5d8j51.jpg

I still can't believe one of the most powerful people in the US is named "Rupert". Fuck off back Down Under with that teddy bear ass name.

joupotu

"there is no Red or Blue....only green"
He migrated from Oz and took over NY Post, a scandal tabloid since day one at the Post.
There's another movie that reminds me of RUPERT the STUPERT's antics, done by Oliver
Stone called Natural Born Killers, where the Ozzy, scandal reporter was played by Robert Downey Jr.,
whose character wound up very much like one might hope for Rupert, dead, if I remember.

florduh

If you're confused about the Writer's Strike or labor strikes in general, this is a really well put together video. If you're a fan of "Adam Ruins Everything", this is basically "Adam ruins Disney's Day".

Also, some good news:

Shit Snacks

Justified is on Prime here, I'd never heard of it and went in with zero expectations but it's surprisingly good! Just started s4. Great cast and atmosphere, storylines that come together to bring each season to a tensed climax without feeling forced. Happy to have stumbled upon this.

You lucky dog! I am hankering for a rewatch with the character revival coming up for city primeval... Season 4 was actually my overall favorite, they tried something a little different, it was getting better and better each season for me, a lot of people love 2 the most though... The showrunner Graham Yost is so good, there are interviews with him on entertainment weekly after each episode, that get into the narrative craft involved, really heightened the experience for me at the time because as you said the characters and storylines are so well crafted each season each episode (so now I watch everything I see him on, he produced the Americans too and did season 1 of Slow Horses, now he does Silo for Apple which I only just started) although he is not involved with the upcoming revival, the other great folks from the original series are, it did have a lot of other great producer writers! And yeah Timothy Olyphant is so fantastic, he plays it all as if the show is a full comedy, his reactions to the villains are just wonderful lol

Next things to stumble over: banshee and patriot.

Banshee is indeed a similar vibe sort of, but it leans into exploitation cinema, by another great showrunner creator who went on to do the first two seasons of Warrior on Max too

Patriot is such understated fun, such a shame there wasn't a third season, that creator made another wacky show called Perpetual Grace Ltd that only got one season, but every line of dialogue is just insanely ridiculous, his characters are a real thing to behold lol whole other type, he also did an AMC stop motion show called Ultra City Smiths that is pretty highbrow bonkers

Yeah I don't think these shows are quite the same category as Justified although I do think people who like one would like the others so not that far off really? Totally different style without the criminal elements per se, but I really enjoyed AMC's Lodge 49 for more upbeat yet similar tone to Patriot

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Yeah this is one of the best shows I've ever watched, close to perfection. There's some sloppiness in details like wrt locations (if you're gonna shoot somewhere the scene isn't taking place it's not a good idea to film landmarks lol) but other than that, and where it matters most, it's brilliant.

Yeah @Shit Snacks you mentioned those other shows before (by Patriot creator). I stopped downloading shows years ago out of laziness. Might have to get the top shows that interest me though. It's just a bit of a hassle to get them on my tv with airplay and shit. Although I did rewatch Harvey Birdman like that recently and it wasn't that bad, just been spoiled with the ease of streaming services.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
  • Love
Reactions: Shit Snacks

florduh

Cautiously optimistic on this one. The Three Body Problem/Remembrance of Earth's Past Trilogy is some of the best, most creative sci fi I've ever read. But...... this is being adapted by the guys who shit the bed on Game of Thrones.

However, GOT was fucking great when they still had books to adapt. Unlike lazy, American George RR Martin, Chinese author Liu Cixin finished The Three Body Problem series.

I also like that they're using a Carl Sagan voiceover in the trailer. Sagan taught me to look up at the night's sky in wonder. Liu Cixin taught me to look at the stars in terror.

Shit Snacks

In my mind now they are simply hack writers but yeah I do try to keep an open mind lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

In my mind now they are simply hack writers but yeah I do try to keep an open mind lol

At what point did you start thinking that though? I thought GOT was great until at least the 6th season. To me, it all fell apart when they ran out of original material to adapt.

This might be cope. I will say i they fuck this one up too they will never see Heaven.

florduh,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Is it just me, or does the volume of recent documentaries pertaining to UFOs and UAPs, many of them sourcing from the same witnesses, scientists and military members and many from widely viewed incidents, make it harder and harder to doubt their veracity? I mean, alien encounters are pretty easy to doubt based on our current understanding of physics basically saying interstellar travel "is impossible", but once one dumps that view as quaint given that other worlds civilizations may have existed millions of years longer, "scientific" reasons to doubt tend to lose their power.

florduh

Is it just me, or does the volume of recent documentaries pertaining to UFOs and UAPs, many of them sourcing from the same witnesses, scientists and military members and many from widely viewed incidents, make it harder and harder to doubt their veracity? I mean, alien encounters are pretty easy to doubt based on our current understanding of physics basically saying interstellar travel "is impossible", but once one dumps that view as quaint given that other worlds civilizations may have existed millions of years longer, "scientific" reasons to doubt tend to lose their power.

My feeling whenever the government "discloses" UFO shit:

I'm open to there being Aliens visiting earth. But.... a huge percentage of the planet has a 4k camera in their pockets at all times these days. You'd think we'd have better footage if there really were aliens messing with earthlings.

Also, after reading The Three Body Problem.... I say: fuck aliens. I hope we never meet them. We should shut down all that SETI shit. And shut the fuck up when it comes to radio emissions.

Most Sci Fi is written by Americans or Brits. So it was interesting to see what sci fi looks like from cultures that were the victims of imperialism rather than the perpetrators.

Shit Snacks

At what point did you start thinking that though? I thought GOT was great until at least the 6th season. To me, it all fell apart when they ran out of original material to adapt.

This might be cope. I will say i they fuck this one up too they will never see Heaven.

Haha I think I've said it here before but the ending opened my eyes to how terrible the entire series was... A great production no doubt, but awful story with poorly written characters, long unsatisfying journeys etc. One of the two guys wrote X-Men origins Wolverine... Trust me they are hacks lol

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Yeah this is one of the best shows I've ever watched, close to perfection. There's some sloppiness in details like wrt locations (if you're gonna shoot somewhere the scene isn't taking place it's not a good idea to film landmarks lol) but other than that, and where it matters most, it's brilliant.

Yeah @Shit Snacks you mentioned those other shows before (by Patriot creator). I stopped downloading shows years ago out of laziness. Might have to get the top shows that interest me though. It's just a bit of a hassle to get them on my tv with airplay and shit. Although I did rewatch Harvey Birdman like that recently and it wasn't that bad, just been spoiled with the ease of streaming services.
Patriot was gold for me as well. Don't understand why it didn't get a third season. I still catch myself laughing about that song "Afternoon Spray" 😂

But then again a lot of brilliant shows die early. I loved Party Down on Starz but it died after 2 great seasons and then came back recently with a reboot that (imo) isn't firing on all cylinders. Freaks&Geeks. What might have been...

I haven't researched UFO/UAP stuff in depth but it seems super unlikely we're alone in the universe (Drake equation is a start) and I doubt our current understanding of physics is complete enough to rule out interstellar travel. We thought we knew it all with Newtonian physics and now we're still trying to unravel quantum mechanics. The fact that a bunch of governments around the world admit to incursions they can't understand is unsettling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom