TV Shows - General Discussion

florduh

Haha I think I've said it here before but the ending opened my eyes to how terrible the entire series was... A great production no doubt, but awful story with poorly written characters, long unsatisfying journeys etc. One of the two guys wrote X-Men origins Wolverine... Trust me they are hacks lol

Goddamn it, lol. I will say, the George RR Martin books had more long, unsatisfying plotlines than the TV series. But it seems like the consensus is that these Weiss and Benioff guys are fuck ups of the highest order.

Chinese company Tencent put out their own adaptation of the first Three Body Problem book. And they released the whole thing on Youtube outside of China.

Apparently the Chinese are unfamiliar with traditional Hollywood Trickery. Because their version of an "adaptation" was to just shoot the book, page by page, dialogue and all. Good for book nerds like myself, I guess. I watched the first episode but I really don't like watching subtitled shit. I feel like I'm missing most of what's happening on the screen.

The Righteous Gemstones is back on HBO. First two episodes dropped last night - super funny!

200.gif

I loved Party Down on Starz

I loved Party Down. Am I nuts, or did they announce a new rebooted season?

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I loved Party Down. Am I nuts, or did they announce a new rebooted season?
Yup it's out there already. Only six episodes I think. I was a bit underwhelmed at the start but it got better near the end. Always hard to recapture glory after a long absence.

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: florduh

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
loved Party Down on Starz but it died after 2 great seasons and then came back recently with a reboot that (imo) isn't firing on all cylinders

Thought the first couple episodes back were pretty good actually! The end was okay haha up and down you never know but I thought it worked overall for the characters and was pretty classic... They also had a little reunion in an episode of children's hospital at the very end tag lol could still be more to come!

@florduh adaptations are a tricky thing and I have mixed feelings about them in general

Shit Snacks,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Thought the first couple episodes back were pretty good actually! The end was okay haha up and down you never know but I thought it worked overall for the characters and was pretty classic... They also had a little reunion in an episode of children's hospital at the very end tag lol could still be more to come!
Yeah maybe I'm too hard on reboots or sequels after a big absence. I just get my hopes up too high. I know it's a movie and not a TV show but I was pretty bummed after The Incredibles sequel. The first was such a classic, I was hoping for more.

TigoleBitties,

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Is it just me, or does the volume of recent documentaries pertaining to UFOs and UAPs, many of them sourcing from the same witnesses, scientists and military members and many from widely viewed incidents, make it harder and harder to doubt their veracity? I mean, alien encounters are pretty easy to doubt based on our current understanding of physics basically saying interstellar travel "is impossible", but once one dumps that view as quaint given that other worlds civilizations may have existed millions of years longer, "scientific" reasons to doubt tend to lose their power.
I think dropping the popular idea that intelligent alien life is some version of humans, or animals, or even floral or at all carbon based, makes more sense in trying to fathom the possibility of alien encounters. The fact that almost every popular theory or supposed example of alien contact involves some sort of flying object or anthropomorphic being is quite shortsighted and typically anthropocentric. I believe Terence McKenna theorized psilocybin was alien. While I think many (or all) of his theorizing to be sensational and unsubstantiated, at least it shows some creativity to go beyond the idea of grey anthropomorphic beings flying in unconventionally shaped airplanes.

Shit Snacks

Yeah maybe I'm too hard on reboots or sequels after a big absence. I just get my hopes up too high. I know it's a movie and not a TV show but I was pretty bummed after The Incredibles sequel. The first was such a classic, I was hoping for more.

I think the attitude should always be to lower expectations, especially for reboot revivals and sequels, even good stuff well most everything's flawed, personally I think incredibles is overrated anyway :lol::uhoh::p

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Chinese company Tencent put out their own adaptation of the first Three Body Problem book. And they released the whole thing on Youtube outside of China.

Apparently the Chinese are unfamiliar with traditional Hollywood Trickery. Because their version of an "adaptation" was to just shoot the book, page by page, dialogue and all. Good for book nerds like myself, I guess. I watched the first episode but I really don't like watching subtitled shit.

Hmmm. I may have to go look for that. I actually prefer subtitles in foreign language films. Not only because the written translations are usually more accurate, but experiencing the original voices of the original actors usually is a better experience for me, as the voiceovers don't always carry the same emotion, etc. So, yeah. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Ramahs,

florduh

Hmmm. I may have to go look for that. I actually prefer subtitles in foreign language films. Not only because the written translations are usually more accurate, but experiencing the original voices of the original actors usually is a better experience for me, as the voiceovers don't always carry the same emotion, etc. So, yeah. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Hell yeah! Here's the first episode. You'll need to manually choose English subtitles.

I really liked the episodes I watched. The Netflix version's trailer didn't include the "hook" that got me to read the first book. The story begins with a mystery: the most prestigious physicists on earth are committing suicide. Why?

You'll also get to enjoy some hilarious Chinese commercials.

I'm curious how fellow Westerners find it. I already knew what was going to happen so it was easy to follow for me.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Hell yeah! Here's the first episode. You'll need to manually choose English subtitles.

I really liked the episodes I watched. The Netflix version's trailer didn't include the "hook" that got me to read the first book. The story begins with a mystery: the most prestigious physicists on earth are committing suicide. Why?

You'll also get to enjoy some hilarious Chinese commercials.

I'm curious how fellow Westerners find it. I already knew what was going to happen so it was easy to follow for me.

Thanks!

Ramahs,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have a couple months of AppleTV+ that I got as a bonus for buying a new TV. What is on AppleTV+ that y'all think I need to see? If it's something good, I don't mind binging whole seasons. I have a habit of joining HBO or Paramount+ for a month at a time to catch up on stuff and then dropping it. I stream only these days.

florduh

I have a couple months of AppleTV+ that I got as a bonus for buying a new TV. What is on AppleTV+ that y'all think I need to see? If it's something good, I don't mind binging whole seasons. I have a habit of joining HBO or Paramount+ for a month at a time to catch up on stuff and then dropping it. I stream only these days.

Severance was an absolute banger.

Happy Ben Stiller GIF by Apple TV+

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I liked Black Bird

Shit Snacks

Severance is definitely on my list, thanks. I watched the first episode of Silo last night and that looks kind of interesting...

Yeah, severance, I'm only a couple episodes into silo, slow build but should be good with great showrunner... Also watch: Slow Horses, Afterparty, Ted Lasso, Shrinking mythic quest, schmigadoon, Acapulco, Platonic is fun and Hello Tomorrow is a vibe lol Bad Sisters is fantastic and I hear good things about others, hard to watch all the dramas though so I watch more of the comedies (shrink next door and Dickinson were interesting too) always more to come

florduh

Yeah, severance, I'm only a couple episodes into silo, slow build but should be good with great showrunner... Also watch: Slow Horses, Afterparty, Ted Lasso, Shrinking mythic quest, schmigadoon, Acapulco, Platonic is fun and Hello Tomorrow is a vibe lol Bad Sisters is fantastic and I hear good things about others, hard to watch all the dramas though so I watch more of the comedies (shrink next door and Dickinson were interesting too) always more to come

I forgot about Schmigadoon! It was super enjoyable.

If you're a sci-fi head, I enjoyed Foundation, though I didn't find it to be top shelf. More mid. But still better than most new sci fi series.

EarthworldTim

Severance is definitely on my list, thanks. I watched the first episode of Silo last night and that looks kind of interesting...
Silo is giving me Lost vibes. Loves introducing new mysteries and doesn't like resolving any of them. I think the premise is a little stale but I like the main character well enough to stick it out in the first season.

I agree with Severance and Black Bird as top apple tv shows.

Shit Snacks

Yeah I heard some good things about foundation and I'm sure season 2 will be even better it seems like a lot of these grow well, but it's just hard to get into these long dramas lol I actually like mysteries being introduced, they don't need to be resolved right away, builds out story like characters

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I read the first three or four books in the Foundation series at least 30 or 40 years ago and I remember almost none of it. Like Dune, I would think its going to be a really hard series to actually do well. Out of all the attempts to do Dune, the current movie is the only one that I have liked, and I hear the second part is even better. I'll give Foundation a shot just to see.

I have a feeling that I'm not gonna get all I want to watch in in the 2 months I have it for free. We'll have to see if I like it enough to pay for it.

EarthworldTim

Yeah I heard some good things about foundation and I'm sure season 2 will be even better it seems like a lot of these grow well, but it's just hard to get into these long dramas lol I actually like mysteries being introduced, they don't need to be resolved right away, builds out story like characters
Sure, mysteries are fine. Too many mysteries/threads leads to a sloppy and plodding story if they're all left open ended. It gives the feeling like the writers don't even have a plan for them they just keep coming up with ideas and no real cohesive end to the narrative.

I'd argue that Severance was the exact opposite where it introduced all of these mysteries and slowly pulled the curtain back, revealing answers one after the other. I was unsure of that show until the fourth or fifth episode and then I was hooked. I felt like the show escalated brilliantly and I was really anticipating the final episodes.

EarthworldTim,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Pinte

A buddy keeps putting the word out how good Silo is. I went to go watch it and saw Invasion listed and that sounded awesome, and the first 3/4 of the season WAS super duper good, then it just shit the bed entirely. I can't even finish the last episode it got so bad.

I shoulda just watched Silo. Which I'll try this weekend.

Pinte,

Shit Snacks

Sure, mysteries are fine. Too many mysteries/threads leads to a sloppy and plodding story if they're all left open ended. It gives the feeling like the writers don't even have a plan for them they just keep coming up with ideas and no real cohesive end to the narrative.

I'd argue that Severance was the exact opposite where it introduced all of these mysteries and slowly pulled the curtain back, revealing answers one after the other. I was unsure of that show until the fourth or fifth episode and then I was hooked. I felt like the show escalated brilliantly and I was really anticipating the final episodes.

I was pretty into severance from the beginning and it just got better and better each episode left me wanting the next one personally, well I don't think there are hard fast rules about mysteries etc. That is far from one of my complaints about Lost, which I loved, though it certainly goes up depending on the time, nature of broadcast TV especially complicates...

TIL. Had no idea it was a book, thanks for giving me hope it will have a satisfactory end.

The book is called WOOL but they chose to change the name for the show leading up to the premiere

A buddy keeps putting the word out how good Silo is. I went to go watch it and saw Invasion listed and that sounded awesome, and the first 3/4 of the season WAS super duper good, then it just shit the bed entirely. I can't even finish the last episode it got so bad.

I shoulda just watched Silo. Which I'll try this weekend.

Haha we tried to watch a few episodes of invasion after hearing some good things and it was so so so so dull and boring with unengaging characters for us

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Surprised that no one mentioned Ted Lasso yet.

Top Bottom