TV Shows - General Discussion

florduh

So, that's Damon Lindelof yeah he also did the sequalized Watchmen series on HBO which was great, but do prefers the other guy Carlton Cuse for his work although they both have some good stuff and misses as well lol while there are plenty of other writers and producers from Lost who have gone on to mixed results hehe

Lost is the show that got me into watching hour-long drama serialized TV instead of just sitcoms, it had every genre all in one, I actually think the finale is fine because it all ties to the characters and that's what they meant to be important, almost all of the mysteries are actually answered throughout the series if you are watching closely and read about everything obsessively lol but the core explanation is some magic and spiritualism tied to human connection amidst diverging experience as the meaning of life... A lot of things end up open to reputation and sometimes that's intentional, but often it leads to misinterpretation depending on the viewer, this is the power of the creative mediums, you have artist intent and it becomes something more depending on who is absorbing it and interpreting it for themselves etc.

Yeah mystery box shows are a certain type and many try to emulate lost to varying success, but there was more to that show, so the best ones have emphasis on character and general world building vibes, you know??

Haha yeah that one was based on a book too, I've heard mixed things although really great things ultimately overall and especially about the final season... Except being such a downer lol hard to get motivated to watch something like that honestly, but someday I hope to! There's just always too much TV and keeps getting worse...

(putting on my Obama voice) uhhhhhhh....let me be clear. I loved Lost and even defend the ending to this day. I was in college at the time and distinctly remember running to the forums after every episode to try and figure out what the hell just happened with everyone. What a fun time that was.

I know the ending was controversial though. Leftovers is definitely a more serious drama. But it deals with a lot of sci fi elements that makes the medicine go down a bit easier.

They do end up explaining the main mystery of the show. But the mystery of where the raptured went isn't the main point. It's about how The Leftovers go on living. Sort of like how LOST was a show about people who are lost, not just on an island, but in life generally.

Criminally underrated show, imo. It would probably be more popular if it came out now. It may have gotten lost in a sea of prestige TV that was out at the time.

Definitely more of a downer show for most of it. But it pays off by the end.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Criminally underrated show, imo. It would probably be more popular if it came out now. It may have gotten lost in a sea of prestige TV that was out at the time.

We may have discussed Lost here before haha seeing you in another life brotha! Yeah I don't know I think leftovers was pretty well regarded, but there was a lot of delay between the seasons release, now that is more common, but same problem hurt Westworld probably? Hopefully it can live on in the HBO library and they don't fuck things up worse but I'm not optimistic lol

Shit Snacks,
  • Love
Reactions: florduh

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Recent favourites (last few years)
-Andor ( the first Disney Star Wars that is slightly more mature-there's even kinky sexual innuendo, maybe!)
-The Nevers
-His Dark Materials
-Tokyo Vice
-American Gods
-Arcane

CANtalk

Cheers to anyone who enjoyed True Detective :tup:, I'm still thinking about that recent rewatch. I ended up enjoying True Detective seasons 2 & 3 again as well.

New of note is Mrs. Davis. I came across this new TV release in commercials and on my news feed. Somehow I came to the conclusion that it was a superhero nun show and had no interest. Then I found out Damon Lindelof was involved & the show became an immediate must watch :clap:. He was recently mentioned here and has quite a work biography. My earlier conclusion was off-base.

For the Star Trek fan, Lower Decks is most worthy. Seasons 2 & 3 are rated 100% on Rotten tomatoes 👍

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Somehow I came to the conclusion that it was a superhero nun show

Haha yeah the marketing and stuff because the show seems quite weird! Rather it is a dystopic AI type show, yeah?

For the Star Trek fan Lower Decks is worthy

Oh it is well worthy even for someone who has never seen much or any Star Trek if you like animated space comedies!

CANtalk

Haha yeah the marketing and stuff because the show seems quite weird! Rather it is a dystopic AI type show, yeah?

Oh it is well worthy even for someone who has never seen much or any Star Trek if you like animated space comedies!
It's set up with big AI and religion themes (going deep again). He's plugged in :bowdown:. He started this series three years ago before the recent strong echo's of Chat GPT-4 coming out (& what it's bringing):myday: :goat: 😬

Lower Decks comes from Rick & Morty & brings the goods :nod: (wide acclaim)

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Lower Decks comes from Rick & Morty & brings the goods :nod: (wide acclaim)

Well, from Mike McMahan (and others of course), who was on that an does solar opposites but lower decks best. apparently will be live action in strange worlds s2 too

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: CANtalk

florduh

Lower Decks is the only new Star Trek I've enjoyed for more than a few episodes.

I watched the first season of Discovery. Found it to be mid, but watchable. Then they got to a plotline where they're in an alternate universe where the Federation is fascist. No thanks, lol. Star Trek is the only popular Sci-Fi that depicts a hopeful future. Literally everything else is dystopian fiction, including Star Wars.

I grew up watching TNG re-runs. Never got into DS9 because I thought a show about a space station was boring. Now, as an adult I'm enjoying it for the first time.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just in case anybody has missed it, there is a special tonight on NBC on Carol Burnett called "90 years of laughter and love". I don't know about y'all, but I would consider that must see TV. I would think the only people out there that are as widely loved as Carol Burnett would be Lucille Ball and Betty White, and they will have to watch from the wings. And I would bet anybody else still living who we all love will be on that show.

florduh

Anyone enjoying succession?

Connor Roy was interested in politics from a very young age.

hpgkrbj7lpwa1.jpg

Surprisingly, I've become a big Con-head after this season. Alan Ruck does a phenomenal job. He's come so far.
sick ferris buellers day off GIF

Shit Snacks

Robert Redford Nod GIF

I honked in support the other day for the picketers at WB! Studio greed really needs to be severely checked and they need to now compensate writers more fairly and offer more security, they're trying to kill the writing profession as a stable means of income, when everything good on TV starts on the page, you can see it all clearly in the scripts

florduh

I honked in support the other day for the picketers at WB! Studio greed really needs to be severely checked and they need to now compensate writers more fairly and offer more security, they're trying to kill the writing profession as a stable means of income, when everything good on TV starts on the page, you can see it all clearly in the scripts

Hell yeah, brother! People like to say "screw these Hollywood people". But most writers....hell most people in the entertainment industry period are working class. Struggling to make ends meet. As their labor makes Studios absolutely insane amounts of money.

When a CNN anchor tried to tell a WGA rep "maybe Studios just don't have the money to pay writers" he shot back that the CEO of Warner Brothers, CNN's parent company, makes $250 Million per year. A quarter bil. They have plenty of money. They just don't want to share it with the people actually making the product.

And I didn't know you're an Angeleno! Pre-2020 I lived in Toluca Lake. Very familiar with that slog to Hollywood on Barham past WB. Give them a honk for me if you drive by again!

Shit Snacks

Hell yeah, brother! People like to say "screw these Hollywood people". But most writers....hell most people in the entertainment industry period are working class. Struggling to make ends meet. As their labor makes Studios absolutely insane amounts of money.

When a CNN anchor tried to tell a WGA rep "maybe Studios just don't have the money to pay writers" he shot back that the CEO of Warner Brothers, CNN's parent company, makes $250 Million per year. A quarter bil. They have plenty of money. They just don't want to share it with the people actually making the product.

And I didn't know you're an Angeleno! Pre-2020 I lived in Toluca Lake. Very familiar with that slog to Hollywood on Barham past WB. Give them a honk for me if you drive by again!

Yeah Adam is great, the negotiations have been a joke so far, the studio system is built to take advantage of writers who often never get paid for months or years of work, let alone how hard it is to get something of yours made to have opportunity for potential long-term money... I remember it was when I was getting really into watching TV during the previous strike and now I understand so much more and it seems like all of them do too so hopefully this can lead to meaningful change in the right direction for the entire industry... The previous generation at the top really needs to just die out already and stop ruining the lives of the working class. All they care about is the bottom line and lining their own pockets, from what he has done at wb to artists zaslov especially can get fucked! Yeah dude think I will honk as long as I see them some of the least I could do

CANtalk

Great to see Star Trek fans speaking up, ST has hardly been mentioned here :rockon:. Fwiw, DS9 is the best ST series so far :clap:, in spite of those who choose nostalgia (& many do). Currently, DS9 is bringing in many new young fans with its less utopian, more nuanced stories, darker themes & serialized arc TV storytelling (compared to the older series). And 176 episodes is a lot of universe building compared to newer Trek.

I'm currently ~7 episodes into Mrs. Davis so far & it's great :nod:
If worried about paywalls, try opening in incognito / private browser mode

Last edited:

joupotu

So, this is gen. discussion about tv shows, i hope. Any news on the writers strike?
Think any of the late night talk show hosts will return in 3 or 4 months if the strike ever ends?

Shit Snacks

So, this is gen. discussion about tv shows, i hope. Any news on the writers strike?
Think any of the late night talk show hosts will return in 3 or 4 months if the strike ever ends?

Not much new really, studios still haven't come back to the table, things would go back to normal once it ends, but might take more strikes from the other unions too... Some of the late night writers are doing YouTube news shows now about strike relevant updates and entertainment news

joupotu

I think they're all outta heah. It's one of those, "yoyo" moments when colbert/kimmel/fallon/meyers all
head to their islands and forget about life as we once knew it. doom and gloom, baby, that's what it's
all about in the world today.

joupotu

Not only r the 4 late night hosts gone, but also the two Rachels, (Ray and Maddow)
QUIT this week. Heh, i hope they survive the coming doom and damnation into which
our world is careening headlong into. Imagine a civil war in USA combined with WW3
and nuke holocaust. It'd be fun to watch, from a distance, like say, MARS!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Please link current news about Maddow quitting? Haven't heard about that...
I see Ray announced in March that she would retire, not exactly quitting abruptly...

I don't get why you keep relating to the end of the world, this is a TV thread!

Last edited:
Top Bottom