Tornado by Vestratto

leanpubpackage

Lol. You don't even have it and you're telling people that do have one about the effects they're feeling?

You repeatedly suggest that you know more about the function of a device than... you know, people who've actually used it?

Every time you repeat the "it's just a big Anvil" line it shows everyone that has actually used a Tornado that you have no idea what you're talking about.
He might be having a love affair with his tempest and trying to convince himself out of it 🤣

leanpubpackage,
  • Haha
Reactions: Shorner

Orvaxxx

I am using it with the Inductor Right now till the Forge problem is fixed. It very fast heat up with the inductor , about 4-7 sec but you cannot trust the click . If you heat till the click , you will get combustion. But with the way the inductor works , it easy to apply more heat if it not hot enough .
Combusted twice, the Inductor is so powerful.

Duba

Accessory Maker
Combusted twice, the Inductor is so powerful.
sorry for my question as i don't know the inductor, but can't you adjusted the power?
One thing I particularly like about the Forge is the possibility of heating hard and fast (power and intensity) or slowly for different results (more or less convection/conduction).

I was using the Tornado and the Anvil (Thermocore w/ XL bowl) last night and I was still struggling to notice much of a difference. The Tornado does seem to milk up more effortlessly regardless of how it's packed. But the airflow, vapor quality, flavor, and effects all feel pretty close to me when using similar amounts of bud. IDK, maybe the Forge brings out different qualities that I haven't unlocked with the torch. Maybe the smoothness difference would be more noticeable on a stem (I was running both thru water).

I guess it just feels like an evolution of the Anvil to me rather than some entirely new beast. Bigger bowl and less parts are good things. Wish it fit properly on existing Anvil stems though. Is it good enough to work on the integrated stem?

coolbreeze

Maybe the smoothness difference would be more noticeable on a stem (I was running both thru water).
I think so. I've read that water (or a big temp difference) will undo the atomization.
I guess it just feels like an evolution of the Anvil to me rather than some entirely new beast.
I think that's fair. For me the smoothness is remarkable and the high is big but I still am not sure it's not mostly load size. It also tends to roast aggressively so it looks and feels like very efficient extraction. I'm gonna have to compare measured loads too.

RedZep

There’s some voodoo behind the way the tornado milks. It’s thick right out the gate. There have been instances when I thought I for sure combusted but was far from it

To me, this and the smoothness are the biggest differences compared to the thermocore
See this makes me think the Tornado has more conduction, instead of less.

The smoothness, the instant vapour, and the pics @VapingYogi sent showing the colour of the herb before inhalation, all point to more conduction to me.

PrematureEvaporation

See this makes me think the Tornado has more conduction, instead of less.

The smoothness, the instant vapour, and the pics @VapingYogi sent showing the colour of the herb before inhalation, all point to more conduction to me.

Go back and watch those wand videos that impressed us all, there’s 100% a good bit of conduction going on. There’s some decent wisps of vapour coming out when he pulls it out of the wand. Like how a DV does from under the cap when you get that perfect slow roast

RedZep

I forgot to mention, I don't think more conduction is objectively better of worse. It's purely subjective and depends on the individual.

Personally more conduction is a plus, as my current line up is almost pure convection. Gives Tornado a point of differentiation.

PrematureEvaporation

I forgot to mention, I don't think more conduction is objectively better of worse. It's purely subjective and depends on the individual.

Personally more conduction is a plus, as my current line up is almost pure convection. Gives Tornado a point of differentiation.
I think the days of convection snobbery are mostly past us now, which is nice to see.

I think the high quality conduction/hybrid portables we’ve been blessed with the last few years have shown the value of properly done conduction to a wide audience

coolbreeze

There’s some voodoo behind the way the tornado milks. It’s thick right out the gate. There have been instances when I thought I for sure combusted but was far from it

To me, this and the smoothness are the biggest differences compared to the thermocore
This has got me wanting to try it on the Funkler, I think it'll run. :science:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Conduction can be a very good thing. I'm seeing this trend as I get more data points with different vapes. What can make a hybrid vape magical though is some degree of control over the conduction? I believe there is some "goldilocks" zone where conductive effects make vapor production easier, without some of conduction's negative side-effects, like scorching.

I don't know the entire physics of it but I would imagine it has much to do with conductive heat lowering the vapor pressure of the flower and allowing it to escape to the next state more easily. Perhaps then the flower just needs a small push from the convective heat flowing through it to create vapor.

Whatever the process, you need far less inhalation effort to produce dense vapor if the mix is just right, all while preserving flavor. I first saw it with the dynavap - if you get that slow roast just right. Then I loved the conduction taste in my IQ2, but I could often overpower the heater and ruin the ride if I didn't sip it just right.

The S3 came along and I'm digging its conduction and the ability to control it to some degree. Home run imo. Now this Tornado is using copper conduction in some type of 2 stage process to make the vapor both voluminous AND easy to inhale. I love it. I will only be using the Wand so I will definitely look for ways to heat it so as to maximize flavor and production.

Roffa

I will only be using the Wand so I will definitely look for ways to heat it so as to maximize flavor and production
I was looking for a way to minimize direct heating of the device when it is loaded. One way is to heat one cycle without load, but with the oven screwed in. Remove the oven after 1st click and drop in a nugget (I use victorinox tweezers). Then heat until "second" click, no more than 5 seconds. Inhale. I try to lengthen the heat fall off by by giving a few pulses after each hit. This way I kind of "surf" the Tornado's heat retention. When I start tasting popcorn, I stop. By then i have caramel colored ABV fine dust.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
It also tends to roast aggressively
Not sure if this is what you meant but I've actually been having an easier time keeping the roast even and not overdone with the Tornado. I still haven't tried the Anvil XL bowl though so I suspect this might just be because the bowl is very easy to pack loosely, but I think the airflow and heat distribution differences are playing some role also.

coolbreeze

Not sure if this is what you meant but I've actually been having an easier time keeping the roast even and not overdone with the Tornado. I still haven't tried the Anvil XL bowl though so I suspect this might just be because the bowl is very easy to pack loosely, but I think the airflow and heat distribution differences are playing some role also.
I have been packing fairly loosely but full most times. The roast has been very even but darker than I expected. No complaints, I haven't crossed the line, but I will have to see if I can walk it back just a tad. To be fair, i've been aiming some heat below the bowl for a few seconds and then just above and between the airholes. I tried one heatup a bit higher above the intakes and none on the throat and it was marginally lighter. I'm using a PB207 cranked.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
To be fair, i've been aiming some heat below the bowl for a few seconds and then just above and between the airholes. I tried one heatup a bit higher above the intakes and none on the throat and it was marginally lighter. I'm using a PB207 cranked.
Oh that makes sense. I'm using a Firefox or similar and have only been torching the main oven part so far.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I was looking for a way to minimize direct heating of the device when it is loaded. One way is to heat one cycle without load, but with the oven screwed in. Remove the oven after 1st click and drop in a nugget (I use victorinox tweezers). Then heat until "second" click, no more than 5 seconds. Inhale. I try to lengthen the heat fall off by by giving a few pulses after each hit. This way I kind of "surf" the Tornado's heat retention. When I start tasting popcorn, I stop. By then i have caramel colored ABV fine dust.
That is a very cool method. I will try that for sure at some point. I have some concerns though.

When you say to "remove the oven after the 1st click and drop in a nugget", I'm assuming you're using a magnet to unscrew the hot oven? This should instantly start cooling it down... so.... Do you need to be quick in dropping in the nugget and putting the oven back to avoid thread lock? I would worry the oven might get too cold when you try to put it back but I'm guessing this is problem is all in my head as you haven't mentioned it 😄.

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: RedZep

Roffa

o you need to be quick in dropping in the nugget and putting the oven back to avoid thread lock
I use a magnet to unscrew the oven. I prepare a nugget beforehand so I can drop it in quickly, I screw it back in with the magnet and unscrew it a tiny bit, also with the magnet. The heat does fall off so I often need 5 seconds heat up with the Wand. I think I'm hovering around the click this way. My goal is to minimize direct exposure to heating and to heat the entire device. It does need some practice. And usually I don't bother because it's a bit of faffing.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I don't know the entire physics of it but I would imagine it has much to do with conductive heat lowering the vapor pressure of the flower ...
Just did a quick read on vapor pressure for my curiosity and I had the relationship inverted. Conductive effects (temp increase) would raise, not lower the vapor pressure of the flower (trichomes) but the end result is the same, a state change would be easier.

PrematureEvaporation

Just did a quick read on vapor pressure for my curiosity and I had the relationship inverted. Conductive effects (temp increase) would raise, not lower the vapor pressure of the flower (trichomes) but the end result is the same, a state change would be easier.
Yep, a bit of controlled conduction totally helps with vapour production. I agree. Also, a lot of convection heaters need time to “spool up” so when a hybrid produces good vapour in the first pull that is typically the conduction doing the work.

Another thing is when you run conduction heat through an insulator like glass, it seems to help slow the ramp up and smooth the temp curve which avoids some of the flavour and terp degradation associated with conduction.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Yep, a bit of controlled conduction totally helps with vapour production. I agree. Also, a lot of convection heaters need time to “spool up” so when a hybrid produces good vapour in the first pull that is typically the conduction doing the work.
Yep! Convection is nice and tasty but often more work to coax vapor from the flower. You need long, slow pulls to maximize the time in contact with hot air.
Another thing is when you run conduction heat through an insulator like glass, it seems to help slow the ramp up and smooth the temp curve which avoids some of the flavour and terp degradation associated with conduction.
Yes. Agree completely. And I think the material science here is key. When glass of the right thickness is paired with the right amount of heat, you can enter that magical zone of conduction where the glass gets hot slowly and stays in the "goldilocks" temperature range. The slow ramp-up in temp of the glass, due to its insulative native confers lovely conductive heat without scorching.

Ceramics also seem to have the right physics to achieve the conduction "goldilocks" zone while tasting neutral, like glass. However they conduct heat somewhat better than glass so the characteristics of the ramp-up are different. Their advantage is their durability over glass.

Top Bottom