Discontinued ThermoVape

OF

I missed this, thank you.
It's definitely an airflow defect in this unit, it has to be. Ive tried like everything...its like sucking ice cream through a straw (and not sitting out, melted ice cream.....im hungry now)

Are you sure you're not packing it too tight? You know the maker says to not pack it in at all, right?

Does it draw OK empty?

One thing sure, without lots of free airflow you're never going to vape with it.....

OF

VisiblyVaped

Are you sure you're not packing it too tight? You know the maker says to not pack it in at all, right?

Does it draw OK empty?

One thing sure, without lots of free airflow you're never going to vape with it.....

OF

Draws restrictive empty as well....always packed loose, stirred, etc.

You're correct my good man, no air equals no hit equals sad vapist.

VisiblyVaped,

VisiblyVaped

You know, this is a great forum and you can get lots of help here. But to get help, generally it's a two way street. There is an answer to what's happening here but we have yet to uncover the mystery.
You are insisting it's the draw that's to blame yet you have not confirmed any of the trouble shooting questions. I have now asked twice as well as recommended a boiling. Did the boiling help? Is the draw the same both inhaling and exhaling? Also, if you have taken apart you should know were the restriction is? The mid piece, the heater core or the mouthpiece?
Lack of answers gets us assuming you have tried. And answers like yes, yes, done that been there really has me wondering how far it was actually tried. Like the heater works? You sure both elements are firing? Really sound like a dumb question and would not ask as you said you read most of this thread.

Don't forget the help you receive here is voluntarily given by enthusiasts who like to help people. Just simply stating the unit is defective but all is working as it should simply makes no sense.

Sorry if I'm coming off a little harsh but your the one needing help and you are lucky enough to have a place to ask WTF? You will end up with many answers and to try or not is up to you but us here like to know why as well because it could happen again and if it does the next similar question will be answered more quickly.

Pipes
One thing is for certain, You are harsh. The extra wtf was not needed.
I have addressed most, though maybe in short form as im on a mobile device.
Taking it apart and boiling/cleaning does nothing. I pack what I'd refer to as a one hitters worth if i was combusting. Packing more makes it even harder.
I can't pinpoint exactly where the airflow restriction is, and yes its bad inhaling or exhaling I believe it is the midsection/packing chamber.
Didnt you learn in school, there are no dumb questions? Another unnecessary comment. There are ways to word things where you get your point across and dont come off as , nicely put, "harsh".

This is a great forum, with some great people. I'm new, and if you'd like to read my post history I'm trying to contribute as well, though I can't say I offer much more than opinion and experience at this point. Nonetheless, not trying to simply leach information.

Now I apologize for the ramble, but the "harshness" made me feel obligated to respond.

Oh....and I think i have a defective unit

Edit: Mods, my phone wouldnt allow me, please merge posts. Sorry

VisiblyVaped,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I missed this, thank you.
It's definitely an airflow defect in this unit, it has to be. Ive tried like everything...its like sucking ice cream through a straw (and not sitting out, melted ice cream.....im hungry now)
If you want to experiment in finding out where the air restriction is occurring, here are a few things you can try. You should try them with the batteries removed, and without loading the bowl.

Unscrew the cap and with the mouthpiece still inserted into the cap, check what the draw is like. On mine, it's almost the same as just breathing through my mouth; almost no restriction at all. If your draw is restricted, then pull out the mouthpiece from the cap, and see if it's the mouthpiece or the cap (or both) that is restricting you.

If it's not the mouthpiece or cap, then put your lips around the top of the bowl (this is why you want to remove the batteries and the load!), and suck, and see how that goes. If it's restricted, then the next step is to unscrew the battery holder, and suck on the top of the bowl again. If it's still restricted, the next step is to unscrew the bowl/heater assembly from the battery-holder to 501 adapter. That's the part with the bowl on one end and the other end screws into to battery-holder. It looks like a single assembly, but the bowl/heater actually unscrews from the top. This is not easy without using one of OF's tricks, as gripping the edge of the bowl and unscrewing is hard. OF suggested wrapping some rubber bands around the part of the bowl that tapers in toward the heater, building up the rubber bands until you can easily grip them, and use them to more easily unscrew the bowl/heater. Or you can use rubber gloves. Just don't use a pliers or similar, or you will damage the bowl. There is an O-Ring around the bowl that you can't see until you unscrew it. If you get this far, then sucking on the bowl again will tell you if the bowl/heater assembly has the air path problem or not. If it doesn't, then suck on the end of remaining assembly that held the core/heater, and see how the air flow is with that part.

This last part (removing the core from the adapter) is a scary thing the first time you do it. And screwing it back in is as well. It's easy to screw it in almost all the way, and everything looks OK, but the electrical connection to the heater becomes intermittent or stops working. So maybe you want to try the other stuff first, and if the air flow problem turns out to be in the bowl/heater/adapter assembly, we can dig up a video or two that you can watch first. Others may have better tricks/suggestions as well. If we can get the air flow working, I suspect everything else will be Jake too.

Haywood,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
One thing is for certain, You are harsh. The extra wtf was not needed.
I have addressed most, though maybe in short form as im on a mobile device.
Taking it apart and boiling/cleaning does nothing. I pack what I'd refer to as a one hitters worth if i was combusting. Packing more makes it even harder.
I can't pinpoint exactly where the airflow restriction is, and yes its bad inhaling or exhaling I believe it is the midsection/packing chamber.
Didnt you learn in school, there are no dumb questions? Another unnecessary comment. There are ways to word things where you get your point across and dont come off as , nicely put, "harsh".

This is a great forum, with some great people. I'm new, and if you'd like to read my post history I'm trying to contribute as well, though I can't say I offer much more than opinion and experience at this point. Nonetheless, not trying to simply leach information.

Now I apologize for the ramble, but the "harshness" made me feel obligated to respond.

Oh....and I think i have a defective unit

Edit: Mods, my phone wouldnt allow me, please merge posts. Sorry
Harsh, yeah I can see that, but to the point.
Actually a couple statements I think were mis-interpreted. The WTF was in terms of a place to come and ask WTF for any vaporizer issue. Not a personal issue with you. We are all lucky to have this forum.
Anyway, enough of that. Sorry, I'm a blunt kind of guy. Sue me....LOL ;)

So the restriction is in the mid section. Is it the heater core or body?
I wouldn't waste any more herb until you find the blockage or get your replacement.

Keep the faith,
Pipes

OF

Draws restrictive empty as well....always packed loose, stirred, etc.

You're correct my good man, no air equals no hit equals sad vapist.

OK, it has to be one of a few places. Eliminate the cap by hitting directly from the bowl (no heat, of course). Then take the core out, put the cap back on and test that part. If it's still FOBAR, the issue is in the ports or delrin sleeve, boil up some water and pull the sleeve off, IIRC putting it on upside down (air vents toward the battery not the bowl) will cause just this.

Or you can send the lot in. FWIW, my money's on the sleeve being upside down. There are two rings on it, the one closer to the edge has the ports in it and belongs 'up'.

OF

OF,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Or you can send the lot in. FWIW, my money's on the sleeve being upside down. There are two rings on it, the one closer to the edge has the ports in it and belongs 'up'.

OF
I'll put my money on this as well...
Makes too much sense

Pipes,
Reactions: OF

VisiblyVaped

If you want to experiment in finding out where the air restriction is occurring, here are a few things you can try. You should try them with the batteries removed, and without loading the bowl.

Unscrew the cap and with the mouthpiece still inserted into the cap, check what the draw is like. On mine, it's almost the same as just breathing through my mouth; almost no restriction at all. If your draw is restricted, then pull out the mouthpiece from the cap, and see if it's the mouthpiece or the cap (or both) that is restricting you.

If it's not the mouthpiece or cap, then put your lips around the top of the bowl (this is why you want to remove the batteries and the load!), and suck, and see how that goes. If it's restricted, then the next step is to unscrew the battery holder, and suck on the top of the bowl again. If it's still restricted, the next step is to unscrew the bowl/heater assembly from the battery-holder to 501 adapter. That's the part with the bowl on one end and the other end screws into to battery-holder. It looks like a single assembly, but the bowl/heater actually unscrews from the top. This is not easy without using one of OF's tricks, as gripping the edge of the bowl and unscrewing is hard. OF suggested wrapping some rubber bands around the part of the bowl that tapers in toward the heater, building up the rubber bands until you can easily grip them, and use them to more easily unscrew the bowl/heater. Or you can use rubber gloves. Just don't use a pliers or similar, or you will damage the bowl. There is an O-Ring around the bowl that you can't see until you unscrew it. If you get this far, then sucking on the bowl again will tell you if the bowl/heater assembly has the air path problem or not. If it doesn't, then suck on the end of remaining assembly that held the core/heater, and see how the air flow is with that part.

This last part (removing the core from the adapter) is a scary thing the first time you do it. And screwing it back in is as well. It's easy to screw it in almost all the way, and everything looks OK, but the electrical connection to the heater becomes intermittent or stops working. So maybe you want to try the other stuff first, and if the air flow problem turns out to be in the bowl/heater/adapter assembly, we can dig up a video or two that you can watch first. Others may have better tricks/suggestions as well. If we can get the air flow working, I suspect everything else will be Jake too.

I might try that, although at this point both TV and the original seller are more than willing to help. TV offered a new heating core but i dont see how that is causing the restriction. It is heating...

Harsh, yeah I can see that, but to the point.
Actually a couple statements I think were mis-interpreted. The WTF was in terms of a place to come and ask WTF for any vaporizer issue. Not a personal issue with you. We are all lucky to have this forum.
Anyway, enough of that. Sorry, I'm a blunt kind of guy. Sue me....LOL ;)

So the restriction is in the mid section. Is it the heater core or body?
I wouldn't waste any more herb until you find the blockage or get your replacement.

Keep the faith,
Pipes

Dude, I hit the mflb shortly before reading it. I think I was vaped and got a bit more offended than i should have. It was blunt, a bit harsh, but not as rude as I originally interpreted. We are all lucky to have this place and even luckier to have found vaping as a means of enjoying our herbage.
For the time being, im just using the mflb or the solo.
No hard feelings, ehh......lets all get vaped.

OK, it has to be one of a few places. Eliminate the cap by hitting directly from the bowl (no heat, of course). Then take the core out, put the cap back on and test that part. If it's still FOBAR, the issue is in the ports or delrin sleeve, boil up some water and pull the sleeve off, IIRC putting it on upside down (air vents toward the battery not the bowl) will cause just this.

OF
hmmmm. Same thing. Do I risk screwing it up...?
Im not a tinkering guy for the most part. I play sports, I make music, I suck at machines and gadgetry. Admittedly so

VisiblyVaped,

poonman

You just pull the switch and o-ring out. Reset the o-ring all the way down and push the switch back in all the way. I would thing give the bowl a good couple twists to make sure it is in all the way and then fire it up.

Here is a video

Kudos ,
Very helpful and demonstratively done .

OF

So you agree with me that it's a middle delrin sleeve placement issue?

No. I don't. You said "Hmm maybe your middle delrin sleeve is slightly in the wrong place and covering up the air holes". I'm saying one of three likely problems I see (the most likely IMO) is the sleeve being upside down. Big difference. And I suggested inspections and and a test for that.

Being a bit high or low, or 'clocked around' (AKA 'slightly in the wrong place') doesn't cause a problem.

hmmmm. Same thing. Do I risk screwing it up...?
Im not a tinkering guy for the most part. I play sports, I make music, I suck at machines and gadgetry. Admittedly so

For sure stay in your comfort zone, worst case to sending it in is a little delay. In exchange you get a 'sure to work' unit.

I'm a compulsive tinkerer and have a long history of taking stuff apart.....often when I shouldn't have....

OF

OF,
No. I don't. You said "Hmm maybe your middle delrin sleeve is slightly in the wrong place and covering up the air holes". I'm saying one of three likely problems I see (the most likely IMO) is the sleeve being upside down. Big difference. And I suggested inspections and and a test for that.

Being a bit high or low, or 'clocked around' (AKA 'slightly in the wrong place') doesn't cause a problem.

:lol:I'll take that as a yes.

Futuretvowner,

VisiblyVaped

For sure stay in your comfort zone, worst case to sending it in is a little delay. In exchange you get a 'sure to work' unit.

I'm a compulsive tinkerer and have a long history of taking stuff apart.....often when I shouldn't have....

OF
If i tinker, it generally ends up worse than it would have been had I not tried to engineer the thing myself, with a few exceptions.
For 150+ dollars, I cant get the kahonas to try

VisiblyVaped,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
If i tinker, it generally ends up worse than it would have been had I not tried to engineer the thing myself, with a few exceptions.
For 150+ dollars, I cant get the kahonas to try
I can't say I blame you. I had trouble trying to remove the Delrin and had to boil just to get it started.
Could you do a visual though just to confirm that it was indeed assembled incorrectly ?
As OF said, there are two grooves in the delrin. One of the grooves has small holes along it. The groove that has the holes should be closest to the top.
At least we all will know the problem.
Cheers,
Pipes

Pipes,

VisiblyVaped

Yes, pipes, visually thats the case. Small airholes on the sleeve located near the top of the unit.
I assume, possibly read, that that is where air enters to begin heating.
I think it heats fine, just doesn't hit.

VisiblyVaped,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Yes, pipes, visually thats the case. Small airholes on the sleeve located near the top of the unit.
I assume, possibly read, that that is where air enters to begin heating.
I think it heats fine, just doesn't hit.
Then there is no need to remove the Delrin.

Removing the heating core is something you would need to do from time to time anyway. And since this is a unit destined for return anyways, why not?
If using rubber gloves the absolute worst case would be the O ring breaks but that would be a flawed O ring anyway. You have me, and others I'm sure, quite curious as to the problem now.

I did mention I had a similar problem when mine was new but not to the extent that I got zip. I still believe in my case it was VG (ejuice) that got between the Delrin and the body. For me it caused more restriction inhaling then blowing into it. The effect of the VG been on the outside of the body?? Never verified as it cleared up as time went on.

Also, if you remove the core you can make sure Tim didn't leave some of his lunch inside...:)

Pipes

Pipes,

VisiblyVaped

Then there is no need to remove the Delrin.

Removing the heating core is something you would need to do from time to time anyway. And since this is a unit destined for return anyways, why not?
If using rubber gloves the absolute worst case would be the O ring breaks but that would be a flawed O ring anyway. You have me, and others I'm sure, quite curious as to the problem now.

I did mention I had a similar problem when mine was new but not to the extent that I got zip. I still believe in my case it was VG (ejuice) that got between the Delrin and the body. For me it caused more restriction inhaling then blowing into it. The effect of the VG been on the outside of the body?? Never verified as it cleared up as time went on.

Also, if you remove the core you can make sure Tim didn't leave some of his lunch inside...:)

Pipes

It might be fun to tinker with but ill know by tomorrow what options are offered to me.
I may not end up keeping this vape in my arsenal

VisiblyVaped,

VisiblyVaped

Im worried if i get a working one, thatll exhaust my return options and if I still dislike it im screwed....

VisiblyVaped,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Im worried if i get a working one, thatll exhaust my return options and if I still dislike it im screwed....
If you like a easy draw IMO an EVO might be a better fit for you.
Your gonna have a rough decision for sure.

Pipes,

VisiblyVaped

If you like a easy draw IMO an EVO might be a better fit for you.
Your gonna have a rough decision for sure.

Definitely like an easy draw, if i knew more about the EVO and wasn't under the impression it was for concentrates I wouldve I bet. I mean my solo isnt a hard draw, and I cant stress enough my love for both that with eds stem and especially my MFLB. Love that little gizmo..
Yeah IDK TV probably just isn't for you then it sounds like.
I'm wondering the same thing, I'm hoping to not be stuck with it kinda.
If i have to I could probably (after getting a new one or making it work somehow) probably find someone to trade with...assuming i still have issues...
Hypothetically

VisiblyVaped,
Top Bottom