Thermal Accumulator by phattpiggie

Sativapo

I was a bit scared with some feedbacks on the engineering and the heating with the wand but as I imagined these are kind of subjective and depend on the experience of the vaper.
I'm super happy with the TA3 on my Aezhenn grenadill /glass core pipe.
I get full extraction (and I like it dark brown baby) after 3 heat cycles with a bit of stirring in between.
I set my wand at max time off 430°C for all the heatings .I could start from lower and temp stemp as my first hit is very strong. My wand is like 3 years old I don't know if it was stronger than new ones. Also mtl airflow favors quicker extraction.I get 1-2 very dense and strong hits after each heating than a few wispy ones.
Very satisfied. I vape mostly dry and I don't get this one hit-spent search of some.
If I really try to get it dark as I like in one hit I'm gonna cough like crazy. And I'm experienced. I don't know if all these other potheads have apnea diver lungs or something.:lol: or maybe they consider it spent when it's still greenish/yellow while this I just the appetizer for me.

Full bowl I'd guess about 0.14g (edit can hold a bit more as I realized I wasn't completely at full bowl ring setting), mtl airflow leaving like 2 almost round holes.

I would say the result is in between my 14mm ball vape and the Dani fusion. Quicker extractor than both I'd say. Closest to the fusion as it has some conduction in the mix, very good but less pure taste than the zx. Didn't heat it with the torch yet to keep it pretty for now but I guess it must like the fusion have less conduction than with the wand when it heats up faster with the torch.
I don't own the tempest yet
For the aesthetics and finishing I'm also very happy. I like the industrial feel that goes well with my pipe and have no trust issues with ball screen or something.

Big up @phattpiggie !

Sorry for the bad phonepic and lighting. It doesn't do justice to it but gives you an idea.

Edit instead of lowering the wand timer in my first heating to temp step I now don't let it protrude through the wand hole for the first heat cycle. I keep the top just under the wand glass ring. I only let it protrude a bit to finish it very dark with a bit more conduction. this way I get even tastier convection hits to start it and then finish the same dark fully spent way. In fact with this little more conduction effect in the end you don't need to stirr at all. As I understand there must really be a difference between batches of wands. Mine if you wait the max temp time arount a minute. and you keep the charging cable close does a darn good job.

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
If I really try to get it dark as I like in one hit I'm gonna cough like crazy. And I'm experienced. I don't know if all these other potheads have apnea diver lungs or something.:lol: or maybe they consider it spent when it's still greenish/yellow while this I just the appetizer for me.
This is very dependent on the person. Apart from the different state of peoples lungs (from abuse, or just plain unlucky), some people are very sensitive to certain terpenes, and even some of the terpene degradation products.
My guess is that the temperature effects the coughing severity more from the products it produces than the actual temperature of the vapour going into the lungs.

That said it's a complex thing - you may use better cooling like a glass bong or bubbler of some sort, but it may be that the more irritating products in the vapour are being condensed out onto the glass walls, and that makes it better rather than the vapour being a bit cooler. But impossible to say the degree this happens without proper analysis. But just from my own experiences with myself and close friends, some who are more sensitive, some who are less, the evidence appears to show this is likely a part of it, but doesn't mean temperature too doesn't also have an effect!

kimura

I agree with the notion that crushing a bowl n one hit isn’t feasible, for me anyway, and I run 10+ miles a week and exercise every day. Even if I manage to get it all in my lungs, it can’t all be absorbed. And I’m probably going to vape for the rest of life so preserving my lungs is important

I’m exclusively hitting the TA using a glass hook or bubbler. there is some condensation but I don’t care. Cant imagine it feels great to try huffing these massive clouds through a little stem, even with cooling fins etc

I may look for a 4/20 discount on the wand, for the sake of control and moderation

General Disaster

A Country Member
I don't have a coughing problem it's just that I think trying to cash the bowl in one hit seems weird to me as it seems difficult to get all the goodies and also auto regulating your draw according to each ones level of irritability (from heat, terpenes, dirty screen and glass etc...)
Sorry, misunderstood!
My reason for sometimes wanting to hit as much of the compounds out the herb in one go, is very much due to the difference in effect I get, from taking it in over a longer period. It's little to do with the physical aspects of the vaping, but very much more to do with how it changes the effect of the cannabis.

For me it's more like a sort of trip doing that way, unlike gradually getting more stoned over a period of hours maybe. When I want this, I find that initial big single (mostly) hit gives a rush that peaks and then flows gradually downhill for a couple hours, and is very more conducive to spending long periods in thought. I realise this is part due to my life long habit smoking mostly hash in tobacco joints, but regardless, I find the fast big hit to be a different experience.
difficult to get all the goodies and also auto regulating your draw according to each ones level of irritability (from heat, terpenes, dirty screen and glass etc...)
I've also found, to keep the roasting very consistent, and prevent hot spots et al, by heating up to the 3rd marker on the VI, then a light but steady draw to pull the heat into the bowl unit, then re-heating to bring the VI back up (maybe 10 secs in the Wand) provides a very consistent but powerful draw (DTL) without overheating and upsetting the profile as much. By spreading that heat input out a bit, I think it reduces the max temp that's applied to the head, and helps get a more even extraction, more like I'd get on my Screwball, after a good bowl soaking (although I even do that in two parts too, to get that smooth roast).

I agree about these being as good as a desktop ball vape, except for one thing - you can't expect to fit 0.3g into a pen sized vape!

I agree with the notion that crushing a bowl n one hit isn’t feasible, for me anyway, and I run 10+ miles a week and exercise every day. Even if I manage to get it all in my lungs, it can’t all be absorbed. And I’m probably going to vape for the rest of life so preserving my lungs is important
I don't think it comes down to just lung capacity or power. I have copd, and had a large part of one lung removed about 8 year ago. One reason I glommed onto these ball vapes is I was finding my previous favourite, the TinyShite2, was taking too much effort to pull on, as good as it is, while these things I can configure for high air flow, and find it much easier to take down maybe 75% (give or take) of a 01g bowl in one hit. I'm not killing myself (metaphorically) doing it, only occasionally cough a little, very pleasant to take down. This isn't always, depends what kind of experience I want at the time.

Also, I believe the vast amount of active compounds are absorbed remarkably quickly in the lungs. The first 4/5 seconds see's the majority of it absorbed, and anything longer is a matter of rapidly diminishing returns. It's simply not really worth holding your breath for much longer, unless that's what gives you yer kicks! 😉, especially considering how efficient a vape is over smoking, for example.
But it is indeed 100% personal too! So what works for me, however unfit and unhealthy I may be, may not work for you! I can only say what I've found personally, and if some here get something from that, cool, if not, well I've wasted a tiny bit of my life trying, but that's the nature of the beast I think.

Last edited:

Sativapo

I agree with that initial fast rush being different, more similar to a joint effect. But the way I do it can be done quite back to back within 5 minutes from green to very dark producing a similar effect after just minutes not hours.
With the one hit I feel even set appart irritability issues you also sacrifice the taste and terpene complexity of the first hits.

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
I agree with that initial fast rush being different, more similar to a joint effect. But the way I do it can be done quite back to back within 5 minutes from green to very dark producing a similar effect after just minutes not hours.
I have a suspicion this may be as much to do with my brains different working from most people, because it is very specific, it has to be most of it in one or two hits in the same heat session (i.e. immediate second inhale if not all done in first draw).

This was the problem with joints for me, yes, they give a powerful equivalent of what people call a conduction draw (along with all those toxins and particulates that change the hit too), but still take too long to get the stuff across the blood-brain barrier fast enough.
The best comparison of the hit as compared to more normal 'slow' intake, is something like smoking free-base cocaine (the rush etc. not the effect of course! 😏), where also, it's the speed and quantity of hit that has such a big effect (coke also crosses the blood-brain barrier v. fast. Some drugs can take a while to cross into the brain even though all injected in one go).

I can't say for sure, and maybe it's not me, but even after normalising that rush and getting used to it, the rest of the hit still works differently in a subtle way. I've even found I sometimes don't feel any need for another even up to maybe 3 hours! While normal smoking/vaping I would be reaching for the next one after an hour and a half (depending). There's something about that reach for the sky in one go, like a rollercoaster climbing that first big height (but faster of course!), and then freewheelin' down for the rest of the trip in a smooth progression.

Most likely just my dented brain! 🥴

Been using my TA3 on a 14mm vaphit WPA. Works pretty good although it gets dirty very quick. Been having a lot of fun playing with the vents. Also getting quite medicated!
Yeah, I found myself getting totally blatted just because I want to keep trying it out!
I don't need to feed on the weed, it's just my TA greed! 😄

Dopamine

I’m not looking for full extraction in one hit, but I do like to kill the bowl in one heat up. Three, maybe four nice hits and it’s done.
I thought my TA was a dud until I realized that I was in the half bowl setting.
Now I get three to five nice hits in one heat up with a torch. I like!

sedentree

Got my TA3, put it on a Simrell wood stem I got with the Warhead -
Nope. Way too hot. Heat transferred down the stainless liner and heated the tip up something fierce.
I need to find a thick glass wpa that is burly, this thing puts off some btu's

I’m using my TA3 on a wood Revolve Gen 2 stem, it can get hot on back to back to back bowls but mostly I have found it to be cool enough not to be hot enough to be noticed too much if that makes sense 😅

General Disaster

A Country Member
... cool enough not to be hot enough to be noticed too much ...
¿¿¿😳!😵!😶???

I'll read that again when the drugs wear off! 😂

Though I also find the revolve with a wood sleeve works really well, as long as it's given a few minutes with the head off to cool between bowls.

General Disaster,
Reactions: jespar45

kimura

Ok, I do occasionally like killing a bowl in one draw. But only with a very small amount at a time. I do this occasionally with the ZX, but when I do that I reload at least twice. I cant crush an entire “dose” in one draw. I’ve started trying to avoid any discomfort when I take a hit. I don’t want to do anything that might prevent me from vaping well into senility

I might just lean into it and push the screen up to make the bowl smaller, and use the TA as a crazy one hitter. The hybrid heating keeps it out of the running for flavor chasing anyway (my opinion). But it’s super effective and pretty quick and easy to use

coolbreeze

I'm enjoying kicking back and puffing away. I usually reheat once or twice per bowl. Some vapes handle the single hit really well, this does multiple hits really well. The adapter and Chaos are brilliant with it too.

phattpiggie Chaos roasting some Blue Dream in the Thermal Accumulator bowl on a Dovetail Woodworks blackwood WPA through a Fat Pinky cone rig:
IMG-7150.jpg

Thanks again to @VGOODIEZ and @phattpiggie for their help with the adapter!

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member
Ok, I do occasionally like killing a bowl in one draw. But only with a very small amount at a time. I do this occasionally with the ZX, but when I do that I reload at least twice. I cant crush an entire “dose” in one draw. I’ve started trying to avoid any discomfort when I take a hit. I don’t want to do anything that might prevent me from vaping well into senility
It's less to do with the quantity, in fact, too much doesn't work nearly so well, for me, that is! It's much more to do with getting as much in one go, of the full spectrum without scorching it to hell (like a high temp dab does, not so nice I find).

I'm enjoying kicking back and puffing away. I usually reheat once or twice per bowl. Some vapes handle the single hit really well, this does multiple hits really well. The adapter and Chaos are brilliant with it too.

phattpiggie Chaos roasting some Blue Dream in the Thermal Accumulator bowl on a Dovetail Woodworks blackwood WPA through a Fat Pinky cone rig:
IMG-7150.jpg

Jeez! It must be tough roughing it! You need to take some time and enjoy some luxury!
(Jealousy mode! That's a lovely bit of kit there! 😊)

sedentree

I’m using my TA3 on a wood Revolve Gen 2 stem, it can get hot on back to back to back bowls but mostly I have found it to be cool enough not to be hot enough to be noticed too much if that makes sense 😅

Just realised why I think it doesn’t get too hot, I tend to hold the stem at the airport, just held the stem much closer to the heater after a bowl and yes, that part of the stem does get quite hot 😅 so tldr, hold your stems lower ✌️

coolbreeze

It's less to do with the quantity, in fact, too much doesn't work nearly so well, for me, that is! It's much more to do with getting as much in one go, of the full spectrum without scorching it to hell (like a high temp dab does, not so nice I find).

Jeez! It must be tough roughing it! You need to take some time and enjoy some luxury!
(Jealousy mode! That's a lovely bit of kit there! 😊)
Guests welcome! ; )

General Disaster

A Country Member
Just realised why I think it doesn’t get too hot, I tend to hold the stem at the airport, just held the stem much closer to the heater after a bowl and yes, that part of the stem does get quite hot 😅 so tldr, hold your stems lower ✌️
I'm guessing you've configured the Revolve for best cooling? You may know about this anyway (sorry, don't mean to patronise!) but the cooling of the vapour is balanced against how hot the stem gets, and all the more so with the wooden sleeve prevent it cooling down so fast (while protecting your fingers from the heat). But for me that vapour is really cool (literally and metaphorically! 😉), and there's some play in reducing the cooling a bit, to reduce how hot the stem gets. The manual shows all this with vapour-temp/stem-heat/flavour results for each the six air flow settings.

Guests welcome! ; )
It's lucky I don't know where you live! Or you'd be missing a beautiful piece of glass after I left! 😈
(It's your own fault, tempting people like that! Shockin'! 😆)

General Disaster,
  • Haha
Reactions: coolbreeze

sedentree

I'm guessing you've configured the Revolve for best cooling? You may know about this anyway (sorry, don't mean to patronise!) but the cooling of the vapour is balanced against how hot the stem gets, and all the more so with the wooden sleeve prevent it cooling down so fast (while protecting your fingers from the heat). But for me that vapour is really cool (literally and metaphorically! 😉), and there's some play in reducing the cooling a bit, to reduce how hot the stem gets. The manual shows all this with vapour-temp/stem-heat/flavour results for each the six air flow settings.

It's lucky I don't know where you live! Or you'd be missing a beautiful piece of glass after I left! 😈
(It's your own fault, tempting people like that! Shockin'! 😆)

I played around with Revolve settings way back when on a Dynavap, don’t even remember what settings I ended up preferring as I moved on from DV and haven’t played with the stems for a while. When I got it out for the TA, I immediately closed the airport fully and have stuck with that except for one or two experiments where I tried the open airport settings. I think I got quite lucky as I landed on a set up that worked straight away for me (well after I worked out the Wand 😂). Just checked and apparently I’m using the DRC Airflow tube set into the stem as if for DL, which also now makes me wonder where my direct airflow tube is 🤔😅

General Disaster

A Country Member
I played around with Revolve settings way back when on a Dynavap, don’t even remember what settings I ended up preferring as I moved on from DV and haven’t played with the stems for a while. When I got it out for the TA, I immediately closed the airport fully and have stuck with that except for one or two experiments where I tried the open airport settings. I think I got quite lucky as I landed on a set up that worked straight away for me (well after I worked out the Wand 😂). Just checked and apparently I’m using the DRC Airflow tube set into the stem as if for DL, which also now makes me wonder where my direct airflow tube is 🤔😅
Cool! Sounds like you have it set similar to myself for the best vapour cooling. I'm quite happy to wait a few minutes while slowly debowling and preparing some weed or whatever (or just gazing into my navel in extreme contemplation of the mysteries of the universe, and that little bit of fluff sticking out my navel! Deep and philosophical topics like that!).
One reason I'm enjoying the one hit wonders - quite happy to just let it ride in my head and not immediately start on the next bowl (keeps the tolerance down to horrendous levels instead of bankruptcy levels!).

General Disaster,
Reactions: sedentree

someTooL

IMG-7150.jpg

Did you get the revised adapter? Was advised not available yet.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Ha! Ha ha ha ha! Bwa-ha-ha!
I've just discovered why people with sense put up with kitchen size butane torches, instead of the beautiful lines of my so compact pocket jet lighter! PMSL!
I think I just nearly melted the end off my TA heater! Well there's a turn up for the books! Nearer of an order of stronger heating! Sheeit! That's more like it! Oh yeah, bring on those crème brûlée's, I've got the munchies! 😋

Top Bottom