Thermal Accumulator by phattpiggie

Texus

That is some impressive puffing duration you demonstrate in the top video. Opens it up to being passed like a joint. How does the flavor change over time? Is the impact of the decrease in temp noticeable? If so, how far in do you start feeling that drop off.

Great white walling there in the glass vid too.

And of course, the music always comes correct.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hi Piggy, great stuff! Lungs of steel. 🗿
It looks like you're using the standard IH driver we have come to trust. I think with your creation, you need more than 100 watts. This puppy has the same circuit but with bigger and higher voltage FETs along with some heat sinks allowing it to push out 800 watts. There are bigger ones but this is where the price takes a big jump going any higher. A 24-30 volt, 10+ Amp supply will be needed as well. In theory, it should heat 3-4X faster. 😉 Possible powers supplies.

Last edited:

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
20220902-143848.jpg

We are past what is my usual honeymoon phase with a new vape and this has become a daily user.

I typically use a new vape nearly exclusively for a couple weeks. After that it either goes into my vape storage cabinet and becomes another one that I don't see for months, gets donated to a friend, or it beats out a previous daily vape and stays out on the table. I like to use two or three different devices through out the day. Typically it's a plug in vape like the herborizer, DCE, or vapexhale and a portable like Tera, Mighty, tubo, dynavap. I don't like to leave my non portable stuff plugged in and on all the time. It gets turned on when I need to use it which typically means anywhere from a 5-15 minute wait time. I like thick vapor and plug ins do that so well that typically if I have the time those are my preferred devices. The portables fit in because there are many times during the day I don't have 5-15 minutes to wait for a heat up. I need to be done vaping in a few minutes. Unfortunately most portable devices don't produce the thick quick extraction I'm looking for.
This fucking TA though. It can kill a nice sized pack in a couple of hits. I'm struggling to think of a portable vape I own that can extract so deep. I like torches but the fact I can use this with the Ispire wand and have vapor like in the pic above in 30 seconds is real winner for me.
This is a vape that if I broke (don't how I would go about doing that) I'd be on the DMs with Piggie finding out how fast I could get another. Really liking this. When you can I'd get this for your collection. If you like a hard hitter I'd be surprised if this didn't become one of your favorites.

RedZep

Wait. No indicator? How do I know when it's heated sufficiently? Is it easy to combust with?

Also, with the thermal oven/battery heat soaked from a heat cycle, how would we be able to know how long to heat for another cycle? Would it not be very easy to combust?

I will echo what others have said. Will be buying just to support a British creator. Not often you get that.

Last edited:

felvapes

Wait. No indicator? How do I know when it's heated sufficiently? Is it easy to combust with?

Also, with the thermal oven/battery heat soaked from a heat cycle, how would we be able to know how long to heat for another cycle? Would it not be very easy to combust?

I will echo what others have said. Will be buying just to support a British creator. Not often you get that.
From what I have seen and @phattpiggie has told me it is a timed heat up
The time varies per the method used to heat it (which torch or IH is used)
I'm sure it's possible to combust but testers say it's forgiving and the videos show some example times

I think the idea with this one is to try and get one heat cycle and be done
That's the selling point of the vape (besides mega clouds)

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

I feel the need to say that although I have yet to try this vape, I have had multiple other manual vapes like this (by "like this" I mean with no heat indicator). You just learn how much to heat by trial and error, and it eventually becomes instinctual. The Vapman comes to mind, as an example of another great vape that has no physical indicator for how long to heat.

In my experience, once you can get your technique dialed in with these more manual vapes, then the experience can be better than any regulated vape because of how manually customizable the experience is with manual vapes.

Last edited:

Texus

Love that Nas. Tunes are on point.

It looks like you're using the standard IH driver we have come to trust. I think with your creation, you need more than 100 watts. This puppy has the same circuit but with bigger and higher voltage FETs along with some heat sinks allowing it to push out 800 watts. There are bigger ones but this is where the price takes a big jump going any higher. A 24-30 volt, 10+ Amp supply will be needed as well. In theory, it should heat 3-4X faster. 😉 Possible powers supplies.
Thanks for this suggestion IH master @Pipes. As long as it is 24v & over 10A, how many watts would you suggest or where will the number of watts become overkill?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Thanks for this suggestion IH master @Pipes. As long as it is 24v & over 10A, how many watts would you suggest or where will the number of watts become overkill?
It really depends on the iron content of the device to determine the wattage used. The driver determines how much power is available. By using the old 100-watt driver it will be hard on the driver and likely drops the voltage from the 12-volt supply because of the high load. Hard to say without experimenting. If the 12 -volt supply didn't sag because of load, the driver would likely blow because of the demand being placed on it.
Now I'm doing some assuming here as I could be completely wrong if the long length of time could also be because of a lack of iron but I really doubt if that's the case.
The driver I linked to has 800 watts available so there is more to call upon. Using 24-volt and if the draw was at full 10 amps, it would be taking 240 watts. For faster heat times, a 30-volt supply can be used. It could also be a 10 amp supply for 300 watts available.
Real-life experimenting is needed to nail down a good setup without paying needlessly for a huge IH. The one I linked to is the turning point for the price to jump.
Also, since there is no timing indicator such as a click for reference, you also have to take into account the forgivability of the setup not to burn the goods too quickly. 😉

Texus

It really depends on the iron content of the device to determine the wattage used. The driver determines how much power is available. By using the old 100-watt driver it will be hard on the driver and likely drops the voltage from the 12-volt supply because of the high load. Hard to say without experimenting. If the 12 -volt supply didn't sag because of load, the driver would likely blow because of the demand being placed on it.
Now I'm doing some assuming here as I could be completely wrong if the long length of time could also be because of a lack of iron but I really doubt if that's the case.
The driver I linked to has 800 watts available so there is more to call upon. Using 24-volt and if the draw was at full 10 amps, it would be taking 240 watts. For faster heat times, a 30-volt supply can be used. It could also be a 10 amp supply for 300 watts available.
Real-life experimenting is needed to nail down a good setup without paying needlessly for a huge IH. The one I linked to is the turning point for the price to jump.
Also, since there is no timing indicator such as a click for reference, you also have to take into account the forgivability of the setup not to burn the goods too quickly. 😉
Many thanks for the clarification, Jedi IH Master.

Old_muel

Hey @Pipes not to derail the thread but now im dying to know how feasible this more powerful driver is for at-home-portable builds, says on the link 12-30v but then further down recommended power supply 24-30v, care to comment quickly any thoughts about powering it portably on 18650s or lipo? Just a case of trying with 3s then 6s? Any obvious reason it wouldn't work? Also mentions needing a fan, i wonder if just the heatsinks passively cooling will likely be sufficient for our use?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
The higher voltage is where the added power will come in. Using 12 volts would not have any improvements over the old 100-watt driver. Yes, they recommend 24 volts as the lower limit.
For non-continuous use, a fan should not be necessary.
Again, real-life experimenting is needed. It could be a similar situation as the Anvil where its iron content keeps it from heating fast. With the Anvil it won't heat hardly at all because of the copper.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I think you have succeeded there my friend! This seems the most analogous vape for a joint user I've seen by far (along with the one hitter capability too!) Was excited to see this development from you as you always do such insanely gorgeous work, well done!:clap:

I'm not much of a torch vape user these days anymore, however this is not so bad at all, faster than heating up a hot start dab perhaps so I could certainly fuck with it myself... I think it could be a really great one hitter bong vape option for dab users, and it could help them replace joints in some situations as well! Looking forward to more

This is what really interests me though, of course, if you can bundle with some kind of basic heater like this that even has a 45 second timer built in, that would make the TA a pretty fantastic (potentially plug in and even portable?) versatile vaporizer!! :spliff:
@Shit Snacks thank you. I used to aim for a joint experience with the VC and can easily run 2 minute bowls but you're forever reheating.
So far the timer has been working great but I'm looking into another. It's a much smaller unit but unfortunately there's no display. Easy enough to add some LED's.

good luck!
what i find interesting if you heat at the top place of the Ti it will be more convection probably? maybe it should be a bit taller, but definately interesting design
if the whole metal gets inside the IH it's definately a conduction vape
with a torch you can adjust the top to be hotter than the bottom, cool

if the taste is good it doesn't matter exactly what is it
@Timberhead
i guess in your case, you were heating only the top right? so the bowl stays COLD before you inhale? (according to this ABV)
that's a neat feature
@GoldenBud the nice thing about titanium is I can tell how the test crew are using theirs. As you say the closer to the top the more convection.
It won't be long now and the 'magic' will be revealed.

I'm just excited to have a heavier vape that fits my dyna stems. I have one of the pipe style stems from Aezhenn and was hoping someone would make a converter to put my anvil tip on my stems but, alas, nobody seems to want to.

This seems like an even better solution for it as, it works native with dyna stems. And the function is more natural and versatile than the anvil. From what I can tell you can RTL or you can have a sipper session depending on how you heat right?
Any stems used with the TA will get hot. There is no way of buffering all the heat but it's tolerable.
It'll be interesting to see how much heat gets conducted through any Anvil offerings.

Yes you can treat it like a sipper or you can RTC, Ride The Cherry.:lol:
I started out heating very cautiously, now I'm not happy unless the top is cherry'd.

The IH is a nice option, I have the same view as Shit Snacks and torching wasn't something I wanted to go back to.
Slow to heat at the moment which I thought would bug me but it doesn't. I think I'd gotten so used to anticipating a click and now there isn't one it's quite refreshing.

Does it have negative pressure like in vapcap and danivape or is it less restricted??

I like what I see, it remembers me in some way to Volski Vector using preheating but more refined, or a metal Testeur/elev8r, like to see a new butane heavy hitter in Europe. I was preparing my wallet for the Anvil but maybe this interests me more🤔
It's less restricted but not so much that you can't mouth to lung toke. I have upper respiratory issues and straight to lung is no good for me.

That is some impressive puffing duration you demonstrate in the top video. Opens it up to being passed like a joint. How does the flavor change over time? Is the impact of the decrease in temp noticeable? If so, how far in do you start feeling that drop off.

Great white walling there in the glass vid too.

And of course, the music always comes correct.
We like a nice tune to toke to.

It's like any vape the first toke is always the tastiest. I'm extract exclusive so it's not the same as with weed. I'll explore it and the 'don't bogart that TA my friend' idea. I seem to think I've finished a green bowl for a friend who couldn't.

As for temp decrease. I'm running extracts which need that extra push to give up the goodies and I finish every bowl with no reheat.
Since mid July I've only had a couple of VC bowls my daily driver has been this TA.
It all depends on how much heat you put in. It's pretty versatile once you get used to it.

Any noticeable vapor differences between torch vs that boss IH?
Difficult to say. The torch is fierce but I'm sure I can put together a fierce IH. Double wrapping the IH coil gves the same kind of heat concentration as a single jet torch but its around the full circumference rather than in one spot. I'll have to go back to my creme brulee torch and compare.

@Pipes long time since we last spoke. Those ZVS are solid and reliable so it puzzles me why people want to redesign an unknown.
I've looked at the bigger zvs boards and it is something worth looking into as a quick desktop. It'd be nice to be able to vary the power.

No ferric content in the heater matrix. It's design is forgiving but I think a bit of lag is better than none, that way the matrix can keep up with the Ti to try and keep the convection bias.

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Got to 10k, sorry for the double post.
From what I have seen and @phattpiggie has told me it is a timed heat up
The time varies per the method used to heat it (which torch or IH is used)
I'm sure it's possible to combust but testers say it's forgiving and the videos show some example times

I think the idea with this one is to try and get one heat cycle and be done
That's the selling point of the vape (besides mega clouds)
The design was initially for a joint like experience but you can one and done if you please.

No indicator, they are so last year
If you couldn't combust in it I'd have been disappointed.

As felvapes and @Ramahs say this is a purely manual vape and you have to 'learn' it.
Before the timed IH I would set a stopwatch on my phone.
I'm going to get some more videos together on heating techniques before they go out for sale and some info on the torches we have all been using.

IMO it's a pretty easy vape to come to grips with and that is down to the design.
My advice to anyone is to take your time. Err on the side of caution until you get the hang of it.
If you feel you need a bit more heat add a little then take a toke, if you need a bit more then add it.
With enough practice it all becomes second nature.

the experience can be better than any regulated vape because of how manually customizable the experience is with manual vapes.
Yep and the ritual rounds it off. The thing I've enjoyed the most is not sitting around waiting for the click.

What’s the smallest torch you’ve tried with the TA?
My first torch was the ones Vapman send out.

Being able to change the IH run time helps with battery levels. 45 seconds is plenty with a full charge, 50 for when the battery drops a bit.
I think this board has issues running as the voltage drops. Something I need to check on the smaller timer pcb.
The manual heater was good for 11-12 bowls now I can get 8 before I feel the need to charge it up. That's from a 1500mah battery.
It'll be okay as a desktop where the voltage is a constant.

All my videos are extract in rayon.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So awesome!!

So far the timer has been working great but I'm looking into another. It's a much smaller unit but unfortunately there's no display. Easy enough to add some LED's.

Oh yeah just an LED color for standby, heating, and ready to vape would be perfect really, like a vapman station

The IH is a nice option, I have the same view as Shit Snacks and torching wasn't something I wanted to go back to.
Slow to heat at the moment which I thought would bug me but it doesn't. I think I'd gotten so used to anticipating a click and now there isn't one it's quite refreshing.

Yeah the heat up time doesn't bother me for this, sounds like a great home ritual!

RedZep

Would this device be boiling off terpenes and cannabinoids while heating up to temp?

RedZep,

felvapes

Got to 10k, sorry for the double post.

The design was initially for a joint like experience but you can one and done if you please.

No indicator, they are so last year
If you couldn't combust in it I'd have been disappointed.

As felvapes and @Ramahs say this is a purely manual vape and you have to 'learn' it.
Before the timed IH I would set a stopwatch on my phone.
I'm going to get some more videos together on heating techniques before they go out for sale and some info on the torches we have all been using.

IMO it's a pretty easy vape to come to grips with and that is down to the design.
My advice to anyone is to take your time. Err on the side of caution until you get the hang of it.
If you feel you need a bit more heat add a little then take a toke, if you need a bit more then add it.
With enough practice it all becomes second nature.

Yep and the ritual rounds it off. The thing I've enjoyed the most is not sitting around waiting for the click.

My first torch was the ones Vapman send out.

Being able to change the IH run time helps with battery levels. 45 seconds is plenty with a full charge, 50 for when the battery drops a bit.
I think this board has issues running as the voltage drops. Something I need to check on the smaller timer pcb.
The manual heater was good for 11-12 bowls now I can get 8 before I feel the need to charge it up. That's from a 1500mah battery.
It'll be okay as a desktop where the voltage is a constant.

All my videos are extract in rayon.

I meant one heat cycle and done
I hate reheating

Top Bottom