Thermal Accumulator by phattpiggie

SockPuppetTheatrics

Few pics of the Dovetail stem that arrived yesterday :rockon:Excellent craftsmanship, lightweight feel, and stays really cool to the touch. The draw is a bit different since the XL condenser isn't long enough to mate up with the bottom of whatever tip you put on. I'm guessing some of the vapor hangs around down in there until you release the carb to force it back up and through :hmm: I have a cooling spiral for the condenser which is sliding back and forth cause of this. Thinking that might eventually stick in there with some resin buildup.

Some pulls with the Hookahhead wpa last week when feeling the TA out :tup:: CC Protege THG Shredder
The Rogue Wax Works has some longer cooling spirals with an extra bit jutting out at the end - look for the E models - available from his site or from vgoodiez; those might help reduce the sliding around.

TedJones

The Rogue Wax Works has some longer cooling spirals with an extra bit jutting out at the end - look for the E models - available from his site or from vgoodiez; those might help reduce the sliding around.
Thx, yea that’s the one I’m using which prevents it from sliding through the end and into my mouth. It only falls forward about a thumb’s width until it hits the bottom of the screen, which I can tolerate. It is stuck in there now with some sticky ;)

Rodney

When I first got my TA I thought that the time it takes to cool down would be too long between hits for this to be something that i use constant. However after much use I can honestly say that the time the TA takes to cool down is very quick considering the amount of heat it gets.

Radwin Bodnic

Until now I was heating to a nice cherry, using it as a visual indicator.

Using a medium flame, this time I stoped heating when the Ti was just turning dark red, waited maybe 20s, and heated it again for maybe 15s.
I think it did a better heat soak of the thermal matrix but with a lower peak temperature.

A half bowl provided a lot of thick vapor. A reheat has been needed to finish the bowl but the duff was much more even than usual and the taste really evolved nicely during the whole sesh'.

Efficiency really is superior compared to when I cherry the TA.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Until now I was heating to a nice cherry, using it as a visual indicator.

Using a medium flame, this time I stoped heating when the Ti was just turning dark red, waited maybe 20s, and heated it again for maybe 15s.
I think it did a better heat soak of the thermal matrix but with a lower peak temperature.

A half bowl provided a lot of thick vapor. A reheat has been needed to finish the bowl but the duff was much more even than usual and the taste really evolved nicely during the whole sesh'.

Efficiency really is superior compared to when I cherry the TA.
I have to admit I flux between a hot quick heat and a slower lower heat with my TA's depending on what I'm chasing at the time. I usually like to just hit it for 15 second with a big flame, cherry it and walk off... but I agree that using a smaller flame and not quite going for the cherry is a very efficient way of using it and has better flavour across the whole bowl; where sometimes the hot/cherry can get really popcorn/toasty when there is still some vapour left to be had.

I've been using the Forge for the last 30 hours or so and I have been heating much lower, closer to the bowl and at the moment I have set the Forge up to cherry the TA in about 10 seconds... only problem is that the TA3 sometimes causes my Forge to overheat and stop working for a few minutes from cold. Its always the TA3 causing the overheat. Heating the middle is a little more risky than heating the top but I haven't had it go sideways yet even on a reheat.

As for TA cooling, if you take the cap off and set it aside it cools pretty well without help - but the magsink makes it such that you can back to back bowls within a minute. I have scruffywoofer heat sinks and the magsink ... the magsink is much better at quickly cooling the cap, so I usually put the cap on the magsink and put the bowl in the scruffywoofer heat sink - separately they cool much quicker.

As a user of both the OG TA and now the TA3 - I simply do not find cherrying the tip of the TA with a big torch to get the best possible results and fully extracted AVB. You also miss out on some of the more heavy effects this thing is capable of.

Which is odd, as most people seem to recommend blasting the living hell out of it with the biggest torch they can find.

I mean, it looks cool and gives a nice convection hit, but the TA can also slap you with hybrid power if you heat it the way I do. I only ever have perfectly even dark brown AVB and a very sedating, heavy high. It hits as hard as my anvil can for sure, with better flavour.

I only ever use a small quad jet pocket torch with mine. I will torch it right next to the point where the cap thickens to match the diameter of the bowl. Maximising the conduction to the bowl whilst still heating the ball matrix. I’ll do 10 seconds, then spin and torch the opposite side for another 10. I then move the torch right up to the tip of the cap and count another 10-15. Throughout the bowl I’ll give it a few 3-5 second “top ups” around the lowest point if needed. Mainly just to let the conduction heat even out the roast and really get those “heavy” effects.

This technique is very consistent and controllable, and is how I prefer to hit the TA the majority of the time. Also uses less butane and heating time thanks to the added conduction. Highly recommend giving it a try, even if you still prefer the convection hits it’s still a nice trick to have up your sleeve.

Of course, I also appreciate a nice terpy convection hit and I’m glad the TA can do both on demand. It’s a truly versatile device!

Rodney

As a user of both the OG TA and now the TA3 - I simply do not find cherrying the tip of the TA with a big torch to get the best possible results and fully extracted AVB. You also miss out on some of the more heavy effects this thing is capable of.

Which is odd, as most people seem to recommend blasting the living hell out of it with the biggest torch they can find.

I mean, it looks cool and gives a nice convection hit, but the TA can also slap you with hybrid power if you heat it the way I do. I only ever have perfectly even dark brown AVB and a very sedating, heavy high. It hits as hard as my anvil can for sure, with better flavour.

I only ever use a small quad jet pocket torch with mine. I will torch it right next to the point where the cap thickens to match the diameter of the bowl. Maximising the conduction to the bowl whilst still heating the ball matrix. I’ll do 10 seconds, then spin and torch the opposite side for another 10. I then move the torch right up to the tip of the cap and count another 10-15. Throughout the bowl I’ll give it a few 3-5 second “top ups” around the lowest point if needed. Mainly just to let the conduction heat even out the roast and really get those “heavy” effects.

This technique is very consistent and controllable, and is how I prefer to hit the TA the majority of the time. Also uses less butane and heating time thanks to the added conduction. Highly recommend giving it a try, even if you still prefer the convection hits it’s still a nice trick to have up your sleeve.

Of course, I also appreciate a nice terpy convection hit and I’m glad the TA can do both on demand. It’s a truly versatile device!

I know exactly what you mean by the cherrying as when I did that with my massive torch I do not get amazing results. I prefer to very rotate the TA as fast as i can and let it all heat up even.

See the whole cherrying thing is ok if you take time to cherry it but blasting it full power for too short a time makes not as good results.

I know exactly what you mean by the cherrying as when I did that with my massive torch I do not get amazing results. I prefer to very rotate the TA as fast as i can and let it all heat up even.

See the whole cherrying thing is ok if you take time to cherry it but blasting it full power for too short a time makes not as good results.
Agreed. I find the key to best results is getting the heat nicely spread around the bowl and heater. As opposed to one extremely hot spot.

I actually found the TA kind of underwhelming before I moved onto the quad torch and really sat and thought about how the heat needed to flow to get that evenly roasted load I desired.

The bowl and heater being physically coupled is just asking for some conduction heating anyway IMO ;)

Sativapo

It's a matter of preference. I get quite sedative effects but I try to have the less conduction possible while also finishing with very dark brown uniform abv. It will take me about one more heat cycle than a more conduction heating closest to the bawl.As just said there is conduction anyway the bowl is burning hot.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
As a user of both the OG TA and now the TA3 - I simply do not find cherrying the tip of the TA with a big torch to get the best possible results and fully extracted AVB. You also miss out on some of the more heavy effects this thing is capable of. Which is odd, as most people seem to recommend blasting the living hell out of it with the biggest torch they can find.
Agreed. I find the key to best results is getting the heat nicely spread around the bowl and heater. As opposed to one extremely hot spot.
I hear what you are saying, I don't like heating the bowl directly but I hear what you're saying about heating & effectiveness.

I see the TA as having multiple different ways to use the device, just like the TM2, there's a more "on demand" quick technique and a "session" style technique and they both have value in different situations.

I like to heat the top with a Big Buddy to cherry as a "on demand" type of session, where I want to be able to heat quickly and then do something with the TA in my hand or mouth. It's not the most effective use of the TA and you can end up with uneven AVB - or sometime a scorched top if you push it to far - but its very - very convenient.

Yea I’m finding both large & smaller flames working well :tup: I like using a big one with a larger rig, good diffusion, bright glow. Here’s a run with a smaller flame, slight glow, and dry :nod:
This is kind of what I was going to say.

If I'm sitting down watching TV or something, I will do a more "low and slow" approach, I'll use the Stingray or Firefox, I'll drop the flame down to about 2/3 or less and I'll heat the top 2 thirds, I'd hit the device for a while and then add some heat again and that would end up being more even and consistent AVB without the top being darker.

I have been trying to find the sweet spot for the TA's in the forge, both the "On Demand" idea of a quick large heat and "Session" the low and slow approach.

When I am doing a single heat with the TA4 I'll set the wagon wheel to the highest and run a 3000@100%... this can end up with that uneven top you get from the same sort of single heat with the Big Buddy torch.

So I'm trying to work out what "session" heating is going to look like for me on the Forge... I am playing with with doing double heat's, starting with 2550@100% and then adding a second 1100@65% as the Forge makes controlling the amount of heat your applying very consistent, so layering is easier to control.

This is that double heat I was talking about...

sparrowman

Is it safe to use the dynavap wand insert if you remove the glass bit? It does fit just wouldn't want to melt anything...

sparrowman,

Rodney

Dang this thread. Can I be in this club? Just received the TA3 last night and only used a few times so far. The Vaphit stem works wonderfully as mentioned here not too long ago. Hookahhead wpa is awesome! Only little con (for me) is it doesn't stand upright very well on it's own. It's how my other's sit while not in use or cooling down :\ The exposed screw makes it real wobbly. I'll probably end up getting the stand coolbreeze showed earlier or just use the reload as a stand for it :tup: Looks like clear (boro I think) balls that came with it so that's cool, first time with those. Have a DTWW stem coming soon!

I got the vaphit stem after seeing you say about it and it is really decent.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Got some new glass and finally felt motivated to break in test out TA-3!
PXL-20240610-060025228.jpg

PXL-20240610-045416128.jpg

Hookahhead made these (check his thread and reach out if any of those steals are still available) 18 mm hammer and 14 mm squat lock (glass WPA is from osgree on DHgate)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I was asked which one I prefer, my TA3 or TA4 ... for days I dodged the question ... I couldn't decide... I use them both one after the other most of the time... however I wanted to answer and after thinking about it for a few days (... weeks) I decided on the TA3.

I have only once changed the balls - recently - and only because I was trying to figure out the way to use it in the Forge; so the ability to change the balls isn't something I feel the need to do very often. I like the cap because it changes the way the TA responds to heating as the cap sort of reflects the heat downwards when heating the middle of the heater with a medium flame for 30-40s... I also like the simple things like the weight and the slightly longer heat retention. However the heater cap is wider in diameter than the rest of the oven which meant that the TA4 didn't fit in the Tempest wand adapter. It also seems to be playing a factor in the heating of the TA4 in the Forge, the TA4 takes noticeably more energy to heat up than the TA3. That extra calories combined with the width of the heater means that coil gets a lot hotter using the TA4 then when using the TA3 at the same settings.

I wouldn't swap my TA4 though as I really do like it in a different way lol...

stokie

Hi guys, new here, sorry if I'm repeating already answered questions. :)

The TA looks like it can offer much of what I'm looking for; mainly being good with concentrates and providing a somewhat joint-like experience.

I was wondering if it's compatible with induction heaters? And which one(s), if so? I've read mixed reports, but that would definitely be a big plus for me if it could be reliably used in that way.

And also, how would you even go about purchasing one (back to the vape, not IHs) right now?

coolbreeze

Hi guys, new here, sorry if I'm repeating already answered questions. :)

The TA looks like it can offer much of what I'm looking for; mainly being good with concentrates and providing a somewhat joint-like experience.

I was wondering if it's compatible with induction heaters? And which one(s), if so? I've read mixed reports, but that would definitely be a big plus for me if it could be reliably used in that way.

And also, how would you even go about purchasing one (back to the vape, not IHs) right now?
TAs are here: https://vgoodiez.com/collections/ph...thermal-accumulator-production-by-phattpiggie

You will need a stem or water pipe adapter for it. It's made to fit Dynavap stems; lined wood, stems with radiators, wood, or thick glass prevent the stem being too hot.

The only IH I have used it with is the Camouflet Inductor; it's not cheap but it can be used with anything inductable. It works great with the TAs. There are a couple other heavier induction heaters coming out (one from Vestratto) that I think should work well too.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
VAS got the best of me and grabbed the TA3 and the triple maria WPA. Been waiting for the Tempest but like that the TA3 has a bigger heater matrix.
As you said the TA3 heater matrix is really interesting, I'm even more impressed now that I've replaced the boro beads with a mix of sic and zirc beads (on the advice of my friend @Kalu 😉). Combined with the Forge, I get incredible results in terms of extraction power, smoothness and flavor. Heating time for complete extraction: 19sec.

Much pleasure here.🙂
IMG-20240619-111008.jpg

Since my last post I’ve been having a lot of fun with my TA3. It’s strange, with the OG Bocote stem TA I had it didn’t take long before I rebuilt the heater with rubies. With this one? I just haven’t felt the urge. Perhaps it’s the extra mass, I’m not sure.

I’ve since asked a woodworker in this space to make me an unlined walnut wood sleeve for the revolve - I’m a huge fan of walnut wood and the flavour and aroma it imparts when used with a vape. Cannot wait to see their first designs of it. One of my favourite vapes is the unfinished Swiss walnut vapman, I aim to make my TA a sort of nod to that aesthetic and hand feel.

I’ve also been experimenting with alternate heating techniques. As I mentioned previously I like to maximise the conduction potential of the TA, and heat towards the bottom of the cap. I need the body effects and the relaxation that comes with conduction - convection by itself just seems to make my mind race in an unpleasant manner.

I’ve since been inspired by @greenganja and their photo, which shows they heat even lower than me. Heating that threading part of the cap introduces a much faster and more intense conduction heat to the bowl, and more importantly does not spike the ball matrix temp as much. Sometimes I’ve had slight charring caused by pushing the convection heater just a bit too far while trying to increase bowl conduction heat.

So, with all this in mind it’s surprising that I’ve actually been enjoying heating the top of the cap a lot more, getting as much flavour and convection as I can. Obviously the vapour production eventually stops. This is where it gets fun. I’ll then switch to heating right on the threading and do it vapman “heat and sip” style, sneaking up on “the line” and finishing when I get those nice high temp toasty conduction notes. My herb suddenly gets a second wind of rather dense vapour this way. I’m getting some nice long sessions that really remind me of that intimate, extended vapman session

The result is an even better roast and increased flavour and effects over my previous go to.

Man I love messing with this vape. It’s killed my butane VAS more or less.

Rodney

The inside cooling twisty bit on my Vaphit stem just fell apart all of a sudden and it has been handled with care and never even bumped or dropped. I had hardly even used it and not even 1 month old.

At first I was so annoyed but after using the stem without it it works loads better and so much less restricted.

Still it should not have fallen apart like this and i will keep this in mind when making future purchases.

Rodney,
  • Wow
Reactions: simba

Rodney

0.03g hits like this. That is over 30 hits from 1g

As said above the inside cooling stem from the Vaphit stem broke and am glad it did as the airflow is not restricted now. I put a fine gauze at the end of the stem just in case anything did fall threw.

Rodney,
Reactions: PeePhlegm
Top Bottom