The Toad from Morwood

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Do yall use the wood oven insert? Do you stir at all during the session, once at the end or never? How dark do you like to take the roast?
By “wood oven insert” do you mean the wooden stem? I use mine all the time—I love it aesthetically, for the feel, and because it never needs cleaning. I put some boro beads in it that do, of course, need an iso soak here and there.

I don’t bother to stir, either. Partly I do small enough loads that I think it’s unnecessary or just a marginal enough benefit to not be worth the hassle to me. I do sometimes rotate the stem like others have mentioned to help promote even heat distribution, but I don’t have any specific system for it. Just if I pull the stem out and there’s an area that seems lighter—it’s probably more to do with a larger chunk with more moisture than anything to do with the heater, honestly.

And I don’t go super dark. I know a lot of folks like the charcoal look, but that doesn’t taste great to me and is close enough to combustion that I’m paranoid about releasing some of the compounds associated with combustion and vaping at higher temps. I usually aim for a dark brown, the color of a dark tobacco I guess? I just got into brewing loose leaf teas, maybe there a better comparison in that world 😅.

@passenger the tea ceremony comparison is spot on. I got to partake in one with an apprentice geisha in Kyoto. Very cool and ritualistic, and that’s how I feel with my Toad. I have a few vapes that are much more fire and forget, but I really enjoy that it forces me to be a bit more mindful, intentional, and in the moment, personally.

Also while they take some patience to acquire, I much prefer a waitlist to a drop! Once your name is on the list the only cost is patience!

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Over the last year or so, I’ve gotten back to enjoying the ritual in my sessions. Vapes like the Vapman and Lotus require a bit more attention than “don’t burn yourself” or “don’t burn the weed” to shine. For me, the process is part of the pleasure.

The Toad is a battery powered version of that. I find using it to be centering. You are picking up a beautifully made, purpose-built tool to be used mindfully and with intention. Then you take a series of deep flavorful breaths.

Who doesn’t love a bit of ceremony with tea?

fangorn

It was -30°c, felt -40°c in Montreal this morning at 8am...
I couldn't help stepping outside to see what it felt like...
I lasted 30 minutes!

I took my Toad Lichen with me... it sulked a little at first, before finally thanking me for taking it out!

It was a special experience...
Instead of doing a 7 second warm-up, I had to do 9 seconds but even then the Toad works perfectly!! I had lots of really nice tasty puffs...too many puffs, it was too cold and I didn't even finish!
it was a refreshing experience!
My nose hair froze instantly... my eyebrows and mustache took a little longer but they froze too!

and the Toad, he delivered puffs as if nothing had happened!
The advantage of these temperatures was that the puffs were very cool... but maybe that was just in my head!

Back in the warm, I did a more conventional session..
The rays of the sun have visually brought out sacred clouds of steam...

Happy vaping everyone! 🐸💨

tots

Il faisait -30°c, ressenti -40°c à Montréal ce matin à 8h...
Je n'ai pas pu m'empêcher de sortir pour voir ce que ça faisait...
J'ai tenu 30 minutes !

J'ai emmené mon Toad Lichen avec moi... il boudait un peu au début, avant de me remercier de l'avoir sorti !

Ce fut une expérience particulière...
Au lieu de faire un échauffement de 7 secondes, j'ai dû faire 9 secondes mais même alors le Toad fonctionne parfaitement !! J'ai eu beaucoup de choux très bons... trop de choux, il faisait trop froid et je n'ai même pas fini !
ce fut une expérience rafraîchissante!
Mes poils de nez ont gelé instantanément... mes sourcils et ma moustache ont pris un peu plus de temps mais ils ont gelé aussi !

et le Crapaud, il a délivré des bouffées comme si de rien n'était !
L'avantage de ces températures était que les bouffées étaient très fraîches... mais peut-être que c'était juste dans ma tête !

De retour au chaud, j'ai fait une séance plus conventionnelle..
Les rayons du soleil ont visuellement fait sortir de sacrés nuages de vapeur...

Bonne vape à tous !🐸💨
Ouahhh!!!sa devait piquer un peu lol.juste magnifique ton vapo!!!!top

passenger

is this thing on?
I lasted 30 minutes!

I took my Toad Lichen with me... it sulked a little at first, before finally thanking me for taking it out!

Instead of doing a 7 second warm-up, I had to do 9 seconds but even then the Toad works perfectly!! I had lots of really nice tasty puffs...too many puffs, it was too cold and I didn't even finish!
My nose hair froze instantly... my eyebrows and mustache took a little longer but they froze too!

The advantage of these temperatures was that the puffs were very cool... but maybe that was just in my head!

Very nice report and great photos, so now I know which vape to take with me if I ever want to visit antarctica. (: Only had it out at -10C and found it a joy to use as always.

fangorn

That wooden stem makes so much sense. 👍

yeah man, that stem is awesome...i think i remember it's roasted curly maple.
I think Dan wrote that it was not a very suitable wood for stems...
but honestly, I don't know why...
it's thinner than pear, so light... the taste of wood certainly bothered me the first 5 sessions and since then I've gotten used to it and it's lessened!
but it's magnificent... I discovered the word "chatoyance" with the Nomad 2... but it's a pleasure to have a piece with these visual characteristics... I find it really sublime!
it's the stem that I always take for walks! and I use it occasionally indoors!

Ouahhh!!!sa devait piquer un peu lol.juste magnifique ton vapo!!!!top

thank you dude!
yeah i see new batches being produced...but this toad lichen stays on my catwalk...i'm in love with this vape...but i think everyone gets it!

and yeah it stung...
there was a place near Mont du Sancy in France, with a spring of water at 42°c... which had been set up with a kind of bumker... and a very cool river just in front... (beautiful place...it was a pilgrimage for me). in short, in winter as in summer, we used to alternate between the hot spring and a bath in the river... it was like 1000 knives pricking the flesh... and well there it was the same... but just with ambient air!

Very nice report and great photos, so now I know which vape to take with me if I ever want to visit antarctica. (: Only had it out at -10C and found it a joy to use as always.

thank you dude!
happy to share this experience with people who "can understand"...
I'm so glad I found this community!!
and glad to have found an all-terrain vaporizer!

seriousTone

I lasted 30 minutes!

DAMN nice dude!

Just wondering if anyone with a Toad has ever tried whole nuggs?
I know straight convection probably isn't the best for whole nugg extraction (although the amazing herbaire was super effective so maybe I'm wrong)

but I'm still curious about it.

seriousTone,
Reactions: fangorn

fangorn

@seriousTone

from memory, no one wrote about this on the toad's thread. But I could be wrong..

on the other hand, it was probably mentioned on the Nomad thread!

Dan was "unfolding" the buds at one point, potentially exposing as many trichomes as possible.

With my experience of low heating, I don't think this is ideal, for optimal results. And more generally with convection moreover... But if necessary, it should help out...!
Anyway: mission accepted! 😉

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just curious, but is this a forum rule?

There is no specific rule, but posts in languages other than English result in reports, as this one did. I could have simply moved the comment to the International forum but there almost no one would see or reply to it. It's better for all concerned if we stick to EWnglish, even if that means using Google Translate.

Please don't ask me why we have an International forum if no one uses it. It's an artifact from a time when we had moderators who spoke other languages.

seriousTone

@seriousTone

from memory, no one wrote about this on the toad's thread. But I could be wrong..

on the other hand, it was probably mentioned on the Nomad thread!

Dan was "unfolding" the buds at one point, potentially exposing as many trichomes as possible.

With my experience of low heating, I don't think this is ideal, for optimal results. And more generally with convection moreover... But if necessary, it should help out...!
Anyway: mission accepted! 😉
Ah yeah I do remember Dan saying that before now.

Ha, dude thanks! Can't wait to hear your results!

seriousTone,
Reactions: fangorn

fangorn

@seriousTone

ok, so i made a first attempt... but several parameters were wrong for the experiment. I took a purple variety and it is not ideal for observing the avb. I moved the bud a little too far from the radiator. I should have used a stem without cooling. I had not charged a new battery.

that being said, I took a few shots, even if we know that we rarely manage to capture the real color of the avb.

and so, I'm going to retest but it's not bad at all!
even if my technique deserves to be perfected..
I actually enjoyed the experience! I must have taken about twenty puffs of 5 to 9 seconds each. (I'm more like 4-5 puffs usually... even 2 if there's a lot of cooling, and 8-9 if it's a wooden stem).

I felt like it would never end, but I missed a good, dense puff or two that hits a little harder to finish.
I think it's playable but I didn't push the Toad to its limits.

It wasn't as satisfying as my regular sessions but I've been enjoying and relishing my regular sessions for 6 months, so it's no wonder...

but it made me want to see what it can do by improving my technique! Thanks !

to be continued...

Top Bottom