The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Smknbud

Maybe I need another way to soak them to get them cleaner, but just putting them in a zip lock with 91% alcohol for a few hours and shaking them does not seem to get them completely clean. The ISO soak is certainly better than not cleaning them, but it is not as good as torching them.
Sugar Soap soak and some shaking makes them look like new.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have heard that recommendation for several cleaning chores and have been meaning to pick some up, but haven't yet. I guess it's time. It doesn't seem to really be a thing over on this side of the pond.

"The comparable cleaning product in Canada and the US is trisodium phosphate, also known as "TSP""

Last edited:

Zagala

I have heard that recommendation for several cleaning chores and have been meaning to pick some up, but haven't yet. I guess it's time. It doesn't seem to really be a thing over on this side of the pond.

"The comparable cleaning product in Canada and the US is trisodium phosphate, also known as "TSP""
I found this on Amazon Canada

Zagala,
On that note, can anyone recommend a good WPA that will fit the Tempest, or even any other fun kind of stems? I'm really looking for a WPA to be able to use though, I don't have anything in that size.
get a dynavap bonger - fits everything everything everything (and doesnt transfer heat like those titanium ones ffs why do people get those)

dudeguy

That’s exactly what I did 😁 I reckon you can leave the balls in the head for cleaning, as the residue is fine enough for the screen. I’ll find out when my Tempest arrives.

I will be testing Iso + Ultrasonic cleaner too once I get my Tempest. I really hope that will be enough to clean the balls. Having to remove them every time would get annoying fast I assume :hmm:

dudeguy,
Reactions: eyevape

RedZep

as long as you don't obsess about the stains just soaking the cap with the balls inside in iso does the job.
I've only done overnight iso soaks on the tip. I don't even remove the balls. They are discoloured but I don't really care. I'm used to teaware having mild tanning stains sometimes. Discoloured does not equal unclean.

Device still performs great and tastes amazing. Those burning off their balls to get them pristine, hats off to you, I can see why you would do that. But I don't think we should give new buyers the idea that it is in anyway a requirement.

Wozz

I've only done overnight iso soaks on the tip. I don't even remove the balls. They are discoloured but I don't really care. I'm used to teaware having mild tanning stains sometimes. Discoloured does not equal unclean.

Device still performs great and tastes amazing. Those burning off their balls to get them pristine, hats off to you, I can see why you would do that. But I don't think we should give new buyers the idea that it is in anyway a requirement.
Echo this 100%.
I've had my Tempest since January..

dudeguy

That's great to know, I am not bothered by some discoloration at all if it is only cosmetic. Getting really hyped for the Tempest :)

dudeguy,
Reactions: RedZep

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Were it not for the bright white color of the zirconium balls one might not even notice the discoloration that persists after an ISO soak. After a soak, I don't notice the taste imparted by the balls into the vapor path that one gets when the balls are very dirty. The tight tolerances inside the head are what prevents enough water flow to carry away the resin to allow the balls to get totally clean with just a soak. I agree that I don't think it is necessary to hyper clean (clean them to bright white) the balls each time I clean them, but I will periodically pull the balls out and torch them to prevent any buildup over time.

n0tu2

nobody likes dirty balls 😆

So can the tip (with balls inside and retained) and the visual indicator all be dunked in 99% iso for a while without harm to the indicator parts? Even though it was said to be very clean on arrival I plan to do a quick 5min iso soak and rinse just for peace of mind.

I thought I saw this was OK as long as you rinse it off with hot water right after.. shake out any excess water.. and do an empty burn off to evaporate whatever is in there right after the hot water rinse (torch), yeah? All left over water should burn off very quickly I would imagine - maybe even by first click?

mcscruffy

So can the tip (with balls inside and retained) and the visual indicator all be dunked in 99% iso for a while without harm to the indicator parts? Even though it was said to be very clean on arrival I plan to do a quick 5min iso soak and rinse just for peace of mind.

I thought I saw this was OK as long as you rinse it off with hot water right after.. shake out any excess water.. and do an empty burn off to evaporate whatever is in there right after the hot water rinse (torch), yeah? All left over water should burn off very quickly I would imagine - maybe even by first click?
This is what I do when I don't use the ultrasonic cleaner. If anyone uses an ultrasonic I know it's been pointed out a few times but make sure you put the ISO and parts into a container like a glass jar or Ziploc bag to submerge in whatever fluid you are using in the tank. 99% alcohol in the tank itself would be a very bad idea! Way too risky from a safety standpoint.

mcscruffy,
Reactions: Cheebsy

RedZep

I soak the tip, balls included, overnight in ISO. I once left it for a week by accident when I went on holiday. No issues. I then open up the tip airflow to max, and rinse under a hot tap.

You don't even need to wait until it dries. You can shake it off, then hit it with a torch. You will hear the water boil off.

Deeper cleaning methods I'm sure have value. I just want to state that I've never done anything but iso submerges for 9 months and I have no issues at all. So for the more lazy among us m, further steps are optional, not required.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I then open up the tip airflow to max, and rinse under a hot tap.
This is a good reminder because it does make a significant difference. The more flow you get, the better opportunity there is to remove the resin.

cybrguy,

n0tu2

good to know, thanks..!

Appears leaving tip in ISO for a very extended period (even a week) is just fine as long as it is fully submerged.. but leaving to air dry (tip+indicator) after iso soak+hot water rinsing maybe not so fine.. Don't want water/moisture sitting on the coily indicator parts for a week. I imagine chance of rusting possible if left damp in the air (maybe even some gross things might grow on your balls, lol) Seems safer to heat up tip right after rinsing the iso off to boil off any remaining water/moisture from balls and indicator parts 😀 the rest of stem parts just paper towel dry..done..

I soak the tip, balls included, overnight in ISO. I once left it for a week by accident when I went on holiday. No issues. I then open up the tip airflow to max, and rinse under a hot tap.

You don't even need to wait until it dries. You can shake it off, then hit it with a torch. You will hear the water boil off.

Deeper cleaning methods I'm sure have value. I just want to state that I've never done anything but iso submerges for 9 months and I have no issues at all. So for the more lazy among us m, further steps are optional, not required.
Do you take o-rings off? Or just leave them as is?

modernblacksmith,

DaBouse

Are you joking?
Compared to organize crime? No. I know the trendy thing to do is shit on corporations. But there are both Amazon fulfillment jobs in my town as well as driving jobs. Both are desired over a smoke shop attendant making 10-12 per hour.

DaBouse,

PossumMD

Compared to organize crime? No. I know the trendy thing to do is shit on corporations. But there are both Amazon fulfillment jobs in my town as well as driving jobs. Both are desired over a smoke shop attendant making 10-12 per hour.
Massively off topic, but Amazon are famous for not paying tax. Most criminal organisations pay *some* tax, not doing that is what got Capone.

Atom Flower

So I had been soaking my Tempest head to do a clean of the Zirconium balls, and just for shits and giggles, I opened the head after to see how clean they actually were after a 4 or 5 hour soak and a rinse. I found that they were "pretty clean", but they were not the bright white like they are after they're torched. I then torched them, and it was a noticeable difference.
Maybe I need another way to soak them to get them cleaner, but just putting them in a zip lock with 91% alcohol for a few hours and shaking them does not seem to get them completely clean. The ISO soak is certainly better than not cleaning them, but it is not as good as torching them.
Acetone is the best solvent for the job and probably less toxic than IPA. I'm not sure why so many people are using IPA.

Top Bottom