The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

someTooL

Yes, I think a wooden sleeve or stem is in order. Need to look into those options. A very positive spin that the heat is becuase the Tempest just cools too well. Still feels like a weakness compared to stems from a variety of makers who are able to better dissipate heat. Dynavap, Simrell, Anvil, Tectonic, etc. But this is just Gen 1.

And not that I am not enjoying the Tempest. Far from it. But it is a ding for me. Maybe less of an issue for torch users.
Got to get that wooden sleeve. Having no issues myself with heat transfer using the Inductor. Very cool to the touch.

someTooL,

Texus

Is there any particular stems you mean?
Every Dynavap stem I've tried the tempest on was totally unusable for me, they can't deal with the heat from the head. I wasn't expecting them to work given the extra heat that comes through the native stem, but I wanted to try some anyway.
Would be interested to hear how a simrell copes if you use one of those.
I remember my older simrell being mega hot as well after back to back Dynavap bowls.

I think what @General Disaster was saying about the outer getting hot because it's doing the work inside is definitely right, the heat needs to go somewhere.

A few days after I got my tempest, I swapped the head with the Dynavap tip on my revolve gen 2.
The tempest head on the revolve gen 2 with titanium sleeve, it still vapes fine, but the vapor felt warmer on the back of my throat, but the titanium sleeve got so hot that using it wasn't much fun as it was enough to draw attention.
Running my main Dynavap tip+armoured cap+CCD spacer (for extra mass) on the tempest stem with heat shield etc, 3/4 back to back bowls and it managed fine, it was warm but it wasn't uncomfortable.To

The wooden sleeves do make a difference but I'd rather the heat was on the outside than in the vapor.
Sorry, to be clear, I have not yet tried alternative stems on the Tempest. At least some of those stems would likely struggle with the Tempest/IH heat.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I think it's telling that the native Tempest stem has a heat shield. It's by design and pretty much necessary with the heat mass in the tip being transferred to the stem during use.

The Stunner went with a carbon fiber wrapped stainless tube as a stem to deal with heat. The TA uses a wood bobbin as an insulator. All ball vapes of this format have to deal with the heat dissipation.

General Disaster

A Country Member
I think it's telling that the native Tempest stem has a heat shield. It's by design and pretty much necessary with the heat mass in the tip being transferred to the stem during use.

The Stunner went with a carbon fiber wrapped stainless tube as a stem to deal with heat. The TA uses a wood bobbin as an insulator. All ball vapes of this format have to deal with the heat dissipation.
I had wondered about that. If the stunner is using a simple steel tube wrapped in carbon fibre, the resin is going to act as a fairly good insulator, but that means there's going to be little cooling of the vapour?

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I had wondered about that. If the stunner is using a simple steel tube wrapped in carbon fibre, the resin is going to act as a fairly good insulator, but that means there's going to be little cooling of the vapour?
Exactly right. It's a straight shot to your mouth and after the steel gets warm there's no additional cooling. It preserves taste very well but the vapor is pretty warm. A cooling spiral would help for those needing more cooling.

kegstandman420

Me too, came in half bowl mode, which makes sense as it's easier to go to full, than the opposite direction. I tried a couple, which worked very well, but too small. I found a looser packed full bowl works great for trying to do as few draws, to make up for the deeper bowl not getting so hot at the bottom with a thicker layer of weed in it. So not putting a huge amount more in there in full bowl mode, but allowing better airflow through it.

Also, I found it much easier to pull the stem apart when it was still warm from use, especially if it's been used a while and got a bit of reclaim inside.
Yeah the full bowl is much better wow. I was still loving the tempest in half bowl, but I had hoped for more and the full bowl is perfect!! And I finally got the mp and everything figured out. I think I like the one that was originally installed, I believe the helix. I use it dry a lot so that may. The other mp is definitely a nice touch for when the rigs come out. Now I just need a reload asap!

General Disaster

A Country Member
Exactly right. It's a straight shot to your mouth and after the steel gets warm there's no additional cooling. It preserves taste very well but the vapor is pretty warm. A cooling spiral would help for those needing more cooling.
Fair enuff, but not for me, the old lungs are bad enough as it is, heat shrinking the remaining alveoli ain't my first priority! 😣
Yeah the full bowl is much better wow. I was still loving the tempest in half bowl, but I had hoped for more and the full bowl is perfect!! And I finally got the mp and everything figured out. I think I like the one that was originally installed, I believe the helix. I use it dry a lot so that may. The other mp is definitely a nice touch for when the rigs come out. Now I just need a reload asap!
It's such a nice device when you get the behaviour a bit sussed and it really starts to kick in. Think I've said this before, but right from the start it was really good, but when I found one of the sweet spots - wooo! It really shifts that vapour. Very impressive device, although I'd hope so for what it is, but you can't fake real quality, and this has it.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Speaking about the heat of the stem.

When using the Helix tube, the Tempest stem is designed to dissipate the heat of the vapor using the radiator sleave. Most of the heat you feel in the stem itself is from the vapor rubbing against the sides of the radiator sleave and the heat shield is to allow that transfer to happen while protecting your fingers from the majority of it.

When using the Direct tube the radiator sleave doesn't do the cooling, in this instance cool air in brought in through the airport and is circulated around the radiator sleave, which cools the radiator sleave before it mixes with the vapor traveling down the center of the cooling unit. This is more like the experience you get with other stems on the market and if your finding it too hot to touch maybe trying the direct tube might be another option.

I saw for example, someone saying that Dynavap and Simrell stems dissipate the heat better, I have been playing around with different stems; a completely wood stem, wood with a stainless steel lining, a mix of wood and resin both lined and unlined and a handful of different dynavap stems.

When using a Simrell Vortex as an example that was previously mentioned; the heat to your fingers is definitely less than the heat to your fingers from the titanium Tempest stem with the Helix tube. The temperature of the vapor from the Vortex however is hotter and more like using the Tempest with the Direct tube.

When you use a Wooden sleave on the Tempest with a Helix tube, the lining of the wooden sleave provides the cooling (like the radiator sleave would) however the wood acts as insulation and decreases the heat you feel at your finger tips. The wooden sleave (using a helix tube) may get hotter than the Simrell vortex; but the vapor will be cooler.

I kind of feel that the Tempest stem accommodate so many different experiences that it has to be played around with to find the one that is right for you.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Heat from Head = Heat in vapour + heat in stem (and a little loss to the environment).

Classical Physics don't lie, as long as you don't squint too much and look in the cracks!
Nice explanation @VapingYogi, I can't see how people don't realise that heat is like water, it has a 'quantity' and if one part gets hotter it's because the other part has got cooler! It all adds up to how much heat went into the head to start with.

TedJones

if your finding it too hot to touch maybe trying the direct tube might be another option.
The few times I’ve tried helix, the stems have seemed to be warmer than the direct. Maybe since it’s not letting the hot vapor travel as fast through it? For me, it’s like the air is bouncing around too much or something with that one.
adds up to how much heat went into the head to start with.
For sure! Switched back to the 2.5mm last cleaning which seems to get the cap hotter and for just a bit longer. Noticing in the stem as well of course !

ljstavy

all this talk about the tempest being hotter which makes sense has me a bit worried about the glass sleves they wont get too uncomfortably hot right? i remember seeing on here something about the glass sleeves being thicker hopefully that helps

ljstavy,

Texus

all this talk about the tempest being hotter which makes sense has me a bit worried about the glass sleves they wont get too uncomfortably hot right? i remember seeing on here something about the glass sleeves being thicker hopefully that helps
Glass does conduct heat much less than metal, so just speaking in the basis of materials, it should be a better bet in terms of heat.

TedJones

Probably not. Betting it’s tolerable. Here’s from the beginning of thread:
Neither stem will get hot, but the glass heats up the most near the bowl.

rebelFarmer

Running mine with a direct tube, back to back and standard metal heatsink I never pause or feel slowed down by the heat. I personally would not stress the heat, will get wood when I order the final kit but thats as much the look as anything else.

ljstavy

just saw the replies to my glass sleeve post. glad to know the glass can disipate some of the heat. i do make sure even with my revolve gen 2 to always grab near the mouthpiece side

ljstavy,

erka

Hi
I was thinking about using the Tempest head with a BB9 or Inception stem.For me Glass is essential
Did someone try this?
Vapor is hot?
Thanks

Last edited:

TedJones

Hi
I was thinking about using the Tempest head with a BB9 or Inception stem.For me Glass is essential
Did someone try this?
Vapor is hot?
Thanks
I wasn’t planning on using my bb9 native until you asked. The vapor was cooler than I expected :tup: Stem noticeably longer of course and wide open airflow. It did get pretty warm to the touch, even at the carb (full bowl, single heat). Might need a minute to do a second bowl.

grognard3r

I wasn’t planning on using my bb9 native until you asked. The vapor was cooler than I expected :tup: Stem noticeably longer of course and wide open airflow. It did get pretty warm to the touch, even at the carb (full bowl, single heat). Might need a minute to do a second bowl.
BB9 with a Tempest head rocks.

It's easy to go to a J-hook or bong with the BB9. Good choice. Cooler than you'd imagine.

@ljstavy I posted a short video several weeks back that shows vapor from the Tempest going up a Revolve glass sleeve. (Posted Feb 16. That may make it easier to find.)

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Country Member

This is my blue Tempest. Had it about a month or so, maybe few weeks more? Used most days. Though I treat it fairly carefully.

What isn't so clear from the picture is the slight discolouration where the blue part of the heater meets the steel induction sleeve (and air vent adjuster). It's minor, and is hardly noticeable unless inspecting it, and due to using a jet lighter, not from an IH. Otherwise bar the dust and bits the photo brings out, it's as good as new (as best I can tell). And this was a factory second (although the only blemish is so small, and well hidden, it may as well have been a perfect item (thanks @Brenyo!).

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Anyone have pics of the blue or purple main bodies after use? Wondering if it darkens over time, love purple but not this particular shade, feeling maybe a lil of both though. Stoked to grab a full kit at the release.
I've had this since around the first weekend December. It has had many baths in ISO. I don't see any changes in the color so far. My head is on a glass piece right now, so this is just the stem.
BlueStem.jpg

Top Bottom