The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

kegstandman420

I've really been enjoying this vape. I have a question about the mouthpiece. Does the spinning mouthpiece just pull out? Like does it separate from the condenser? It came with another little tube for inside the mp but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old one out and the other 1 in to try. Does the heat shield come off or does that stay as 1 piece also? I think if there was 1 thing I woulch change about the vape would be a bigger bowl. Other than that its my go to vape now.

kegstandman420,

HaggisHunter

After some more time with this thing its pretty nice. Smoooth huge plooms now. I havent combusted in a while which is a plus too. I think i have dialed it in with a torch. I will get the wand eventually to try it out. This will be a keeper. The convections high is so hard to beat. Im glad i stuck with it. I felt dumb with this vape at first. @hoyo77 its supposed to be the end of the month. Delays may happen
Glad you're getting it dialled. It's mega satisfying.
I would definitely recommend a wand, I started with the torch and I was getting good results but a wand definitely makes life easier, it's easy and repeatable.
Enjoy mate.

Shorner

@Brenyo When the upgrade kit arrives
I've really been enjoying this vape. I have a question about the mouthpiece. Does the spinning mouthpiece just pull out? Like does it separate from the condenser? It came with another little tube for inside the mp but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old one out and the other 1 in to try. Does the heat shield come off or does that stay as 1 piece also? I think if there was 1 thing I woulch change about the vape would be a bigger bowl. Other than that its my go to vape now.
The mouthpiece just pulls out of the condenser, some people have found it stiff to get out so give it a good pull.

HaggisHunter

I've found it easier to remove when hot/warm.
If you really can't get it out, get something soft to wedge between mouthpiece and helix, like a bankcard etc. Again doing this warm should help. Although make sure not to use metal objects as it'll end up scored and scratched.

When you're putting them back together put a small amount/light film of beeswax or something on the tube and you'll be able to fit and remove easily.

There's an o-ring that sits under the mouthpiece, if you apply a small amount of the same wax to that o-ring it'll be easier to separate the mouthpiece from the airflow tubes. I don't mean the one that holds the scu in place, the other one.

The heat shield also separates, again, if it's tight just apply a film of wax to it's o-ring and that'll also be easier to remove etc.

kegstandman420

@Brenyo When the upgrade kit arrives

The mouthpiece just pulls out of the condenser, some people have found it stiff to get out so give it a good pull.
OK thanks I've pulled pretty hard just afraid it'll break. On the subject of balls giggity, wonder what would happen if you put like stainless steel balls in the head that actually got heated by the wand. Could maybe cut down on the length the wand had to run.

kegstandman420,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
With the wand, is there any real difference between the visual indicator reaching level 3 of the wand than with a torch?

Is the wand more accurate? More gradual?
the wand is more complete, it heats up more surface area compared to a torch, so when you use the torch you have to wait a second after you finish heating to let the heat permeate through all the balls; this is easier with boro and harder with Zrc.

so what I am saying is directly after using the wand more of the balls will have had direct heat and therefore it will seem like its "hotter" where as when the torch you are heating a section and the heat needs to permeate through all the balls and that takes a few seconds, so 3 when using a torch, can have less calories in the heat matrix because of this lower surface area and penetration of heat in comparison to the IH

This is the info I needed. I care more about speed of heat up (conductivity) vs heat capacity. I won’t bother with rubies then. The zro2 heats up pretty fast and provides plenty of heat calories
I know @Brenyo said it but it is worth repeating - boro balls are really good / are a really enjoyable, flavorful and easily controlled and drops the heat really quickly producing vapour faster. I also find reheating in the middle of the session easier with the boro as it stabilizes the heat fast allowing you to control the heat better.

I would definitely recommend a wand, I started with the torch and I was getting good results but a wand definitely makes life easier, it's easy and repeatable.
I think the wand is great don't get me wrong, I use it occasionally, but I love a single flame torch and the low and slow approach to heating, its totally repeatable and reliable...

Last edited:

HaggisHunter

OK thanks I've pulled pretty hard just afraid it'll break. On the subject of balls giggity, wonder what would happen if you put like stainless steel balls in the head that actually got heated by the wand. Could maybe cut down on the length the wand had to run.
Sure I read before that the tubes may end up being replaced due to how tight these ones are but I might be wrong.

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: Brenyo

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Sure I read before that the tubes may end up being replaced due to how tight these ones are but I might be wrong.
I remember the o-ring that holds them in place has changed a few times but I didn't think the tubes were changing again before release

Is there any news about an "update kit" for early Tempest adopters?
as the parts have still been changing there hasn't been a confirmation on the upgrade kit, brenyo said it would be available on release for the difference in price between the pre-release and the final release - but that's all I remember.

HaggisHunter

I remember the o-ring that holds them in place has changed a few times but I didn't think the tubes were changing again before release

as the parts have still been changing there hasn't been a confirmation on the upgrade kit, brenyo said it would be available on release for the difference in price between the pre-release and the final release - but that's all I remember.
Might have been that, I thought the o-ring changes were mainly the larger heat shield one.
You're probably right.

HaggisHunter,

simba

@weedanwine
From what I'm seeming to notice, the effects of getting to Visual Indicator notch 3 on a lower and slower flame wouldn't necessarily match the effects of getting to visual indicator notch 3 more quickly with a powerful flame.

It absolutely makes a difference, torch size and speed of heat up are important factors and if you're having difficulties then I'd try a range of them if possible.

bobothevaper

@Brenyo

Can I just applaud your reply stamina for a minute. I’m not saying other makers aren’t good at answering questions but going through this thread I’m stunned at how many questions you actually receive and answer. It’s very impressive. I hope you also get time to relax now and then. Can’t wait to try the final revision and I’m sure I can find a question for you to answer afterwards 😂🤝

Strolling&Rolling

I'm starting to produce more consistent results now, using a torch from further away on higher power seems to work for me.

I let it get up to visual indiciator mark 3, give it a few seconds for the heat to spread throughout the vape then hit it. I prefer to use the mouthpiece on the closed setting.

I've got some beautiful, voluptuous, clouds that have the best flavour of any vape I've tried to date.

The big selling point for me for the Tempest was the flavour people said it produced. I switched to vaping from combustion about 6 months ago and the only thing I didn't prefer when vaping was the flavour.

People always get surprised when I say it, but the flavour of each strain wasn't as identifiable for me when vaping compared to smoking. Which was a bit of a bummer for me as I enjoy sampling different strains and their flavour profiles.

I started with an Xmax Starry 4, then nearly all of the S&B range including the new Venty and I can say hands down the flavour the Tempest produces is the best I've tried to date.

It's such a relief for me to be able to properly experiment with different strains and flavours with the Tempest, thanks Madheaters!

N0b0dy

That's right, the first and 2nd batch (all from last year if I remember correctly) will get new tubes, they're too tight
I have a very recent batch 3 (end of Feb). For these ones what will be changed with the update kit component wise? I think it would be the oven screen, addition of final click discs, but what else? Thank you!

P.S. Really enjoy this one, very well done!

N0b0dy,

General Disaster

A Country Member
Thanks very much for your help, I'm starting to get a little more consistent with it. I'm noticing I prefer the mouthpiece to be closed I think.

It suits my inhaling style a bit better and it heats up the bud a bit better maybe?

I've started to use a bigger flame on the torch but from a further distance and I think I'm getting more consistent results that way, maybe the heat covers a bigger surface area of the cap that way but I'm just guessing.

From what I'm seeming to notice, the effects of getting to Visual Indicator notch 3 on a lower and slower flame wouldn't necessarily match the effects of getting to visual indicator notch 3 more quickly with a powerful flame.

I just need to become more consistent at getting consistent results and identifying what is the sweet spot for me. I think I'll get a wand next month just to see what the experience is like.

Just out of curiosity, when you say the carb/carb hole which part of the device are you talking about? Is it the adjustment airflow hole?
Katching! I think you've 'clicked'! 🎉
You're saying all the sorts of things I was thinking as I began to understand the way these work with the far higher heat capacity and how it isn't just an on/off thing, like the dial-a-temp electronic vapes. There's a time factor that goes beyond the heating alone. And all the different ways of doing it will, once the 'duff' methods are discovered, begin to give the different types of hit you can get (and which one's you like most).

There seems to be a hurdle to jump before things drop into place, and the real learning starts, but for some here, better experienced with these sort of babies, they have a head start over the newbies like me. But once the hits start to come in and the frustration begins to fade into interest and experimentation and you realise you haven't actually wasted all that moullah (not to mention the disappointment after that build up of anticipation!).

What I mean by the carb hole is the air inlet near the mouthpiece that your finger usually rests on. And I agree about keeping that inlet of air low if you want the most heat to go from those balls to the bowl.

Enjoy! 🙂

I have a very recent batch 3 (end of Feb). For these ones what will be changed with the update kit component wise? I think it would be the oven screen, addition of final click discs, but what else? Thank you!

P.S. Really enjoy this one, very well done!
I too have a recent beta3 from Feb this year. To my knowledge the clicker is to come, the visual indicator is the final version, the screens will likely change a little bit (may just be the bowl screen though, not sure). That said, I think @Brenyo is just putting out a complete kit for approx £25 that will have all the latest parts (screens, orings, clicker, VI, leather sleeve etc.) so all the betas, regardless of their version, can be fully upgraded to release version parts. Don't quote me, that was just my impression (logistics would be a nightmare otherwise I'd imagine, simply not cost effective).

- um, I may have missed some stuff (re: parts), teach me not read all the posts first!

Last edited:

someTooL

Recd mine today…USPS did a east coast tour before delivery, but it did arrive.

Immediately added the beautiful rosewood stem and after a quick clean was ready.

Using the Inductor IH, I experimented with a couple heat cycles and felt ready.

Heating to the 2nd line, absolutely superb results from the beginning. Even did a reheat to check if done. Perfect roast. Half bowl, open airflow.

Great initial purchase feelings. Enters rotation for sure.

snirgol

Hi guys,

Is there a release date for the release version of the tempest? I am in the process of selling all my desktop vapes and moving 100% to portables. I now use dynas alot but also hSve an Anvil but I am loving what I saw with the tempest and think that it is exactly what I am looking for especially with the wand which I already have. I just need the device to be available...

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Is there a release date for the release version of the tempest?
The short answer - no, there isn't a date yet, there is still things outstanding.
If you haven't already sign up for the newsletter as when its ready there will be a pre-sale announcement via the newsletter.

I am in the process of selling all my desktop vapes and moving 100% to portables. I now use dynas alot but also hSve an Anvil but I am loving what I saw with the tempest and think that it is exactly what I am looking for especially with the wand which I already have. I just need the device to be available...
The Tempest is a great companion for the wand as you probably ready from every other post

grumpy.guy

@Brenyo

Can I just applaud your reply stamina for a minute. I’m not saying other makers aren’t good at answering questions but going through this thread I’m stunned at how many questions you actually receive and answer. It’s very impressive. I hope you also get time to relax now and then. Can’t wait to try the final revision and I’m sure I can find a question for you to answer afterwards 😂🤝

I second that. Was similarly impressed with his communication from the beginning of this thread on. Thumbs up!

Brenyo

Manufacturer
On the subject of balls giggity, wonder what would happen if you put like stainless steel balls in the head that actually got heated by the wand. Could maybe cut down on the length the wand had to run.
It wouldn't get heated by the wand, it only heats the outer surface.

Those and the indicator housing + induction layer (the ss parts)

Top Bottom