The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

mcscruffy

I've had way too much going on to be on here as much and missed 5-10 pages I need to read back on. That said, not sure if this has been mentioned but the VI is generally great once you dial it in, but subsequent heat cycles can vary a bit where you need to take the indicator to before stopping depending on how hot you started. I'm not sure how the indicator compares to the actual temp of the balls but I tend to get a bit too dark of a roast for my liking more often than not trying to heat to a similar level of the first cycle.

It's pretty simple but if I'm looking to do multiple back to back cycles and reloads, I unscrew the cap and with it attached to the top of a Reload I just blow some long steady full breaths worth of air into the cap. It's not that difficult to do and I've yet to burn myself (*knocks on wood*) but a few big full lungs worth and the cap is down to more or less room temp and I can toss it in the Wand with the same settings to do the next cycle fully hands free and care free again. Start to finish for that added step is about 60-90 seconds for me, but worth it for the solid consistency on back to back cycles.

Hookahhead_MD

Accessory Maker
Hey all, thanks for tagging me! Yeah my Etsy is up only so people can easily grab some basic items. I would put more effort into it but they occasionally pull my listings as paraphernalia and I know one day my account will be locked. I’ve been considering a website, but that has its own perils. So really the best way to snag something is to just reach out in DM on here, discord, Reddit or even Etsy.. I get notifications on all of them and I’m usually quick to respond. Also just as a heads up, I only blow glass as a hobby 1-2 days a week. I currently have about a 2-3 week backlog on pieces that I’m making. Reaching out gets you added to the queue, but I never take payment until the finished piece is in hand and ready to ship.

I’m pretty sure that @cybrguy did reach out about an 18mm adapter.. but it just before I had got my 18mm joints instock. I haven’t done too many 18mm adapters, so I don’t really have a set “style” for these yet. If you have some ideas reach out. I have clear and 10 colors available (Dark blue, purple, white, lime green, charcoal, light blue, black, pink, orange, green). The colored joints are 19/22, so they will work in some RBT and similar devices.

xp0w8zoad7fc1

Some 18mm adapters I’ve made:
jgstfwrvv97b1

tb3mb0hq0a7b1

Last edited:

TedJones

I've had way too much going on to be on here as much and missed 5-10 pages I need to read back on. That said, not sure if this has been mentioned but the VI is generally great once you dial it in, but subsequent heat cycles can vary a bit where you need to take the indicator to before stopping depending on how hot you started. I'm not sure how the indicator compares to the actual temp of the balls but I tend to get a bit too dark of a roast for my liking more often than not trying to heat to a similar level of the first cycle.

It's pretty simple but if I'm looking to do multiple back to back cycles and reloads, I unscrew the cap and with it attached to the top of a Reload I just blow some long steady full breaths worth of air into the cap. It's not that difficult to do and I've yet to burn myself (*knocks on wood*) but a few big full lungs worth and the cap is down to more or less room temp and I can toss it in the Wand with the same settings to do the next cycle fully hands free and care free again. Start to finish for that added step is about 60-90 seconds for me, but worth it for the solid consistency on back to back cycles.
I’ve been doing this as well in a sense. Was using leather at first to de-cap, but thought the reload might help it cool a bit quicker. Found it real easy to blow out any little particles that may be stuck as well.

dtrdrk

So i have spent some time with the tempest now. I really love it! I do have one critique (hopefully constructive), one question, and a product idea 🤦‍♂️😃

- When using the DRC tube in open, the kick hole seems to do a lot less, than DRC in closed mode. Is this normal?

- Here is what i dont like: the threads for screwing on the cap. They are too delicate for long time usage in my opinion. They are so thin, that im afraid any kind of scratch could ruin them. Especially considering how often they will be unscrewed/reassembled. I might be wrong, but i would suggest a revision of this. Either make the threads more robust (thick), or maybe think about some kind of bayonet fitting. Just an idea…

- And maybe Brenyo could come up with a decapper that acts as a big heat sink? Like the top of the Reload v2 with extra mass as a desktop stand? The thing takes ages to cool off. Actually, Yllvape might have just released that product, but im not certain if it will fit. Plus we‘d need even more mass for faster cool off. I attached a picture.

Hope this doesnt sound negative, as i really like the thing. It gives me big hits like my herborizer without having to power the desktop unit all night. Bowl is extracted in one hit. Perfect even roast so far. So for the users struggling with this, keep on experimenting. Its certainly possible. Medium grind, half bowl. I run my wand on 520 till timeout display, with DRC in open mode and maximum airflow on the cap. I inhale directly to lung. It works perfect.

WechatIMG18449.jpg

Sorry for the monstrous picture size. I have no idea on how to shrink it…

ApparentlyStoned

When life gives you lemons, lemon tek
Any idea when screens will be available again?
I want to order a wood stem but would like to get some screens too.

edit: or does anyone know another source to get the same sized screens?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
- When using the DRC tube in open, the kick hole seems to do a lot less, than DRC in closed mode. Is this normal?
I don't think I understand the question?

They are too delicate for long time usage in my opinion. They are so thin, that im afraid any kind of scratch could ruin them. Especially considering how often they will be unscrewed/reassembled.
Unless it's damaged on purpose I really don't think that it'll wear too much or break, it should work fine for a long time. It's made like that to ensure that it'll work well actually :) The bayonet fitting wouldn't work great with the magnet I think along with a few other issues that it'd bring, I though of it.

- And maybe Brenyo could come up with a decapper that acts as a big heat sink? Like the top of the Reload v2 with extra mass as a desktop stand? The thing takes ages to cool off. Actually, Yllvape might have just released that product, but im not certain if it will fit. Plus we‘d need even more mass for faster cool off. I attached a picture.
It wouldn't need more mass but a bigger touching surface around the side of the cap. It would require a very tight hole with fins which would only help slightly IMO. Your best bet is to unscrew the cap and just let it cool.
The YLL decapper is basically the same thing as the Reload cap, it won't be any quicker

Acme threads would be welcome. I wouldn't mind paying for the extra machining.
It's a modified acme thread actually :D

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The thing takes ages to cool off.
:shrug: I don't think I'd call it ages. Actually, I'm a little surprised it cools off as quickly as it does. But clearly your desire to continue using it is a good reason to learn how to use it when it's already warm rather than trying to take it to room temperature before taking your next pass at it. When everybody gets a more functional visual indicator I think your problem will be resolved. With my mostly functioning VI I can heat a load a second time, or start a new load very effectively without cooling all the way down.

RedZep

:shrug: I don't think I'd call it ages. Actually, I'm a little surprised it cools off as quickly as it does. But clearly your desire to continue using it is a good reason to learn how to use it when it's already warm rather than trying to take it to room temperature before taking your next pass at it. When everybody gets a more functional visual indicator I think your problem will be resolved. With my mostly functioning VI I can heat a load a second time, or start a new load very effectively without cooling all the way down.
The heat retention/capacity is the whole point isn't it. Needing 50% less energy for reheats is a gigantic advantage. Not sure why anyone would complain of cool down time. It's not a Dynavap. It's filled with Zirc balls.

Even for those with a dysfunctioning VI, just puff on it while it's reheating. It's easy to tell when it's producing thick vapour. I never combusted once doing that.

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
@dtrdrk if you want faster cooling you can try ScruffyWoofers cooling stands on Etsy. Comes handy when sharing Tempest... Attaching heat sinks like that to Reload, isn't easy/needs redesigning, as you can't have cooling stand and decapper in one, due to weak magnet needed in heat sink so you can vertically pull it out easy...heat sink has high walls inside. Reload magnet decapper has strong magnet, which needs tilting Tempest on side when removing.
Leather decapper sounds handy now lol.

If you find cooling time long for personal use, you can try switching to full bowl... :D

lluther

I have inadvertently screwed the bowl on too tightly, and cannot remove it. Any tips? I don't want to take pliers to it incase it marks.

lluther,

lluther

I managed to get it unscrewed thanks to a tip from Brenyo, which I am sharing below because it's so damned good, I'm sure others will find it useful at some point.

"Heat it up completely, then attach the cap to the underside of the Reload lid and use the Ti stem to push the tip/cap towards the Reload lid while twisting it to unscrew, so that the bowl's connection at the o-ring locks into the 4 small grooves.

You need to heat it so that the resin / piece of herb can loosen that locked it in between the threads"

Jojofernz

Having my first complaints or really frustrations with the tempest, but hoping the full release will help to remedy them, so that release can’t come soon enough!

Most/all the screens my tempest came with are starting to lose shape after using it basically all day every day since it came in, and the are almost impossible to get into half bowl setting and stay there. If I manage to get them in, after a few bowls while I’m debowling, they can easily get pushed out and I can then only reset them into full bowl, some will only go into full bowl setting.

For me this is an issue as half bowl is really the only way I like to enjoy the tempest. After my first initial trials with the full bowl(which were evenly extracted), I now struggle to dial in the full bowl to get even extractions and would rather not if I don’t have too. In my experience, half bowl and full bowl require different heat settings, if I keep my half bowl settings and insert depth, the full bowl is darkish at the top and nearly green at the bottom.

Requires me to adjust the insert depth and wand temp settings, perhaps even the way I draw when going native, to get a more even roast.

It’s bothersome for me as I would rather keep my half bowl settings, or I’m out and about when the screen comes loose so it becomes more a pain to fiddle with the insert and settings and do a couple test bowls to see if I am even getting it right on the full bowl.

So here’s hoping the full release bowl screens can set easily in the half bowl as well as don’t become so easily deformed or misshapen from use and cleaning. Also hoping the fully calibrated click and VI will help with getting easily consistent even roasts on both full and half bowl setting.

That’s really the only thing I’ve come across in my two months with it and I use it daily. Still love it, just want more consistency between bowl settings in roasts. I know that partially comes to me and having the settings right but I have my half bowl dialed in real well so when I gotta change it up I’m left experimenting a bit before getting it right and by then I’m maybe able to get a screen back into half bowl so then I’m switching back haha. Cadillac problems I suppose. Can’t wait til end of next month!

Top Bottom