The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

chimpybits

Having my first complaints or really frustrations with the tempest, but hoping the full release will help to remedy them, so that release can’t come soon enough!

Most/all the screens my tempest came with are starting to lose shape after using it basically all day every day since it came in, and the are almost impossible to get into half bowl setting and stay there. If I manage to get them in, after a few bowls while I’m debowling, they can easily get pushed out and I can then only reset them into full bowl, some will only go into full bowl setting.

For me this is an issue as half bowl is really the only way I like to enjoy the tempest. After my first initial trials with the full bowl(which were evenly extracted), I now struggle to dial in the full bowl to get even extractions and would rather not if I don’t have too. In my experience, half bowl and full bowl require different heat settings, if I keep my half bowl settings and insert depth, the full bowl is darkish at the top and nearly green at the bottom.

Requires me to adjust the insert depth and wand temp settings, perhaps even the way I draw when going native, to get a more even roast.

It’s bothersome for me as I would rather keep my half bowl settings, or I’m out and about when the screen comes loose so it becomes more a pain to fiddle with the insert and settings and do a couple test bowls to see if I am even getting it right on the full bowl.

So here’s hoping the full release bowl screens can set easily in the half bowl as well as don’t become so easily deformed or misshapen from use and cleaning. Also hoping the fully calibrated click and VI will help with getting easily consistent even roasts on both full and half bowl setting.

That’s really the only thing I’ve come across in my two months with it and I use it daily. Still love it, just want more consistency between bowl settings in roasts. I know that partially comes to me and having the settings right but I have my half bowl dialed in real well so when I gotta change it up I’m left experimenting a bit before getting it right and by then I’m maybe able to get a screen back into half bowl so then I’m switching back haha. Cadillac problems I suppose. Can’t wait til end of next month!
Hmm here's hoping this isn't a big issue or gets remedied eventually. I've been using the VC as my sole vape for years now and am keen on the Tempest release. This fiddly half-bowl setting on the VC has given me occasional issues staying put. Sucks to inhale fresh herb and trying again to set half-bowl. Murphys Law dictates this will happen when out and about and in a hurry.

chimpybits,

TedJones

@Jojofernz maybe a CCD screen could be an answer. Know it would have to be deformed somewhat to push down to the full, and a PIA to get back up, but would sure last a lot longer than mesh. I'm just tossing screens every time I clean the vape since I had a bulk pack already. After so many heat ups, that thin metal defiantly deteriorates. Looking forward to the updated discs as well. My VI has been good and consistent, but not having to check on that and count a few after a click should be nice .. hopefully ;)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I use the half bowl pretty exclusively, and it has stayed in place very well, but that could easily be because I've rarely moved it. I have also not taken it out to clean it as I clean the head (the few times I thought it necessary) by soaking it in iso.

TedJones

I've rarely moved it. I have also not taken it out
Nice. I bet that helps quite a bit by not disturbing it. I had a Fusion screen sitting around for the longest while but can't find. Pretty sure it was a bit smaller than the one for the V3, which I do have alongside the mesh here. It is just a tad big to fit nicely in the Tempest. I might be able to bend it good at the center and possibly get it to sit in the half channel. Not ideal though.

TedJones,
Reactions: cybrguy
What about just filling the full bowl very very loose so there is not more material than in a half bowl.

In the anvil that give you some super roasted black avb so maybee heat a little less when doing so.

Or just tamp it to your desire if you dont like how it vape when super loose. It's not mandatory to fill the chamber to the max.... ( in other vape, I dont own tempest)

Having the chamber reduced by the screen or filled halfway tamped in a full bowl setting should get the same result.

Saying that without owning the tempest so I might be totally wrong and im far from being a reference in half bowl setting cause for me I need the throat hit of a full XL Anvil bowl without any cooling unit in the stem to get satisfaction.

TedJones

@Jenny.2.play that works just fine as well. In fact, that's how I've been loading for the past few weeks. Either medium or coarse grind, and maybe just a slight finger tamp. Even if it's not full to the brim. There's more posts a bit ago on pg. 121 when us 2nd round folks just got them. Are you planning on getting the Tempest at some point?

@Jenny.2.play that works just fine as well. In fact, that's how I've been loading for the past few weeks. Either medium or coarse grind, and maybe just a slight finger tamp. Even if it's not full to the brim. There's more posts a bit ago on pg. 121 when us 2nd round folks just got them. Are you planning on getting the Tempest at some point?
Im full invested into vesttrato universe but will for sure get the tempest when the final version is ready ( oven only )

Tempest look such a game changer. Will see how I like it VS vesttrato but a sure thing I prefer detachable bowl like the anvil versus a detachable cap like the tempest or dynavap.

Im totally satisfied about vesttrato extraction power but from what I read tempest is more flavorfull so that is a big plus.

Edit: I dont like using a stem having airflow hole so the airflow from the tempest oven alone is going to play for alot when I compare it to the anvil.

Last edited:

Jojofernz

I would say both are worth owning, have a thermocore set to arrive Monday I liked them both.

However I may have to try half packing full bowls but the second part of my issues was the uneven roasts so may just take more trial and error but I got the screen back in half bowl this morning so I’m back at the half til it falls out again or I clean it

chimpybits

What about just filling the full bowl very very loose so there is not more material than in a half bowl.

In the anvil that give you some super roasted black avb so maybee heat a little less when doing so.

Or just tamp it to your desire if you dont like how it vape when super loose. It's not mandatory to fill the chamber to the max.... ( in other vape, I dont own tempest)

Having the chamber reduced by the screen or filled halfway tamped in a full bowl setting should get the same result.

Saying that without owning the tempest so I might be totally wrong and im far from being a reference in half bowl setting cause for me I need the throat hit of a full XL Anvil bowl without any cooling unit in the stem to get satisfaction.
For the VC, I’m not keen on this as I find the issue is that there isn’t enough room under the screen so that gunk builds up readily blocking the airflow. Also, necessitates screen removal to adequately clean. As others mentioned above, frequent removal of screen deforms it. A little bit of gunk helps keep the screen in place, too much and airflow suffers.

I wonder how much room is under the screen in full bowl setting on Tempest? Of course, the convection quality of the Tempest makes a looser pack more appealing.

Last edited:
chimpybits,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I often open my Tempest to determine whether the load is fully exhausted before I go for a second heat. If I see a heat ring, which I occasionally do, I may give it a stir before I put it back in the wand for my second go. Then again, I am a little compulsive about getting the most out of my herb.

ezpz

I’ve been doing this. Full bowl loosely filled with the “straw method.” Tamp anything sticking out the top with my thumb. Avb shrinks down to about half bowl size, and is more even. With the added airflow, I can take deep DTL hits with the stem airflow half open (?), and still get huge fluffy clouds. Been liking this way a lot. Conserves herb also.

Beansuppa

My Tempest has a ccd style screen in the cap, anyone else have one as well and has tried using it as a bowl screen? I think my biggest gripe is the screen being far too flexible and falling out of the half bowl setting, but the screen in the cap looks like it could possibly work. But it could be too wide, it's hard to tell.

I haven't tried it yet since I'm afraid to mess with the cap haha.

Beansuppa,
Reactions: TedJones

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
STOP! Don't DO that. I think the CCD type screen you are talking about is what is holding your zirconium balls in place. There are 80 or more balls behind that CCD like screen. They are what heats up and stays hot. You CAN remove them to check them out but don't lose them, they are small...
TempestBallRetainingScreen.jpg

Last edited:

shadymilkman

My ccd ball screen fell out the other day on a blanket in a couch.. fucking brutal.. stayed calm got 79 .. 6 fell on the carpet found 5 of those.. lost one. So i think I'll buy some for spares.. just one of those things, please check your ball screen to make sure it's tight. Could have been tragic.. this thing though ffs, i feel like i graduated, with honors.

HaggisHunter

Howdy folks, last weekend I was showing someone this little sneaky Pete mini can I sort of forgot about - even though it's been sitting in plain sight.
Hadn't used it in a couple of years so decided to fire the tempest on it. It absolutely rips with it! Just enough water to cool it down. I've been using it since, this last week is the longest I've went not using a mad revolve stem since the gen 1 came out.

PXL-20240127-172908730-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL-2.jpg

TedJones

Found my og Fusion screen and got it in the half bowl setting after some flattening & bending. It’s pretty old but I’m thinking a new would work well for those who might be interested. Never bought replacements or don’t know if the 2.0 are same size though ..
CCD

HaggisHunter

Found my og Fusion screen and got it in the half bowl setting after some flattening & bending. It’s pretty old but I’m thinking a new would work well for those who might be interested. Never bought replacements or don’t know if the 2.0 are same size though ..
CCD
I've been loaned a camouflet convector to try out, was just having a look at it, I like the screens on that, lots of little round holes.
Haven't had any issues with the bowl screens I got with my own tempest as yet, I'm still on my first.
I do like the idea of a proper designed screen for it, rather than the gauze type that's cut to fit.
If there are screens from similar vapes that fit I'd be interested in trying them.

HaggisHunter,
Reactions: TedJones

Peacefrog78

Howdy folks, last weekend I was showing someone this little sneaky Pete mini can I sort of forgot about - even though it's been sitting in plain sight.
Hadn't used it in a couple of years so decided to fire the tempest on it. It absolutely rips with it! Just enough water to cool it down. I've been using it since, this last week is the longest I've went not using a mad revolve stem since the gen 1 came out.
Thats awesome! I wish they still made thise!!

PXL-20240127-172908730-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL-2.jpg
thats killer! I wish the still made those, it looks sturdy!!

Beansuppa

STOP! Don't DO that. I think the CCD type screen you are talking about is what is holding your zirconium balls in place. There are 80 or more balls behind that CCD like screen. They are what heats up and stays hot. You CAN remove them to check them out but don't lose them, they are small...
TempestBallRetainingScreen.jpg
Lmao thank you, but I'm well aware what the screen is there for and what's behind it 😂

My question was for anyone who had to disassemble the cap for whatever reason, and happened to be curious whether the ball screen would fit in the tip.

Top Bottom