The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Singularity Walker

I really think that peoples Wanda vary. Maybe where the coil actually sits in it can vary? Either that or people have a wide variance in where their tempest insert is and how deep the tempest is inserted.

I would have to try to search but I can’t figure out the search function in threads personally, but I know Brenyo had posted a while back about on the tempest bowl, there’s like a faint marking all around and if that’s sitting in the insert top or just below, that’s good. I’ll try to take a pic of it when I can. It’s a good indicator on how far to insert
Anywhere between the marked range is good, I'm in the middle which is where it's about level with the red silicone on the bottom.

IMG_0441.jpg
I believe this is what you were looking for, the depth to set to the Tempest Wand insert with markings on Tempest to show the range as related to the top (green arrow) of the Wand.

kokolokokolokon

Tried the new silicone dynavap adapter that comes with the wand. It's fine, it works, the "steps" inside of it don't really help with the Tempest at all, and it doesn't step level as easily as the glass that came with it. I couldn't get it to look centered. I prefer the glass, at home at least.

Do you notice that the silicon adapter retains less heat than the glass adapter? At least I notice (with all the devices) that the wand heats up earlier or harder without an adapter because of this

@ToatsOats nice color combo. Now i want a raw shield :lol:

kokolokokolokon,
Reactions: jardri

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
I haven’t used my tempest in a bit, because I can’t get an even roast with the wand and I pretty much gave up. I’ve had the tempest since November.

I’ve tried all and everything with the wand and I can’t get an even roast. The 3D 3S works amazing with the anvil. And with the thermocore release, it’s all I’ve been using. Even roast every time.

I even purchased new batteries for the wand and it didn’t improve. So, idk, maybe I’ll give it a try again, but as of now, It’s not my number one choice.
Extraction with convection devices is a little trickier than with conduction devices. Have you tried playing with air intake on Tempest? The strength of the pull should also play a role. Then, you gotta pay attention you pack the bowl lightly with a nice and even fluffy grind. I suggest you revise your ritual configurations...because Tempest really rocks! :rockon:

Duba

Accessory Maker
I haven't used my tempest in a while, as I can't get an even roast with the wand and have pretty much given up. I've had the tempest since November.

I've tried everything and anything with the baguette and I can't get it to bake evenly.
@Duba, have you been able to improve the consistency of the roast? I've found that using a torch allows me to get a roast gradient from top to bottom, i.e. the top is dark and the bottom is light coffee brown, or the top is light brown and the bottom seems barely touched. I've only used the demi-bol so far.
Well,
I also got a bit tired of trying to find the right setting for me, and in between I got the FusionV2, which is so easy to use.:)

However, I'm not giving up on the Tempest, which has great qualities.
For the moment, I'm getting good results (1 hit, avb medium brown and homogeneous extraction) with the Wand, but by lowering the glass insert much further than Brenyo recommends, below the red silicone ring + temp set at 340°c, I'm going as far as time out.

The advantage of the cooling stem made in MH is that native extraction can be pushed to heights.

Duba,
Reactions: WILLAW84

bumaye

@Brenyo Can you explain why the Tempest does work with the wand but not with the YLL 2.0 IH? It's very strange, the cap does not trigger the device. Without the cap or if I put the cap in upside down the IH triggers. It also does not trigger when I remove the balls or out in steel balls. If I put in a FMJ the device triggers but if I but the FMJ onto the Tempest cap it does not trigger... weird... Any thoughts why?

bumaye,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Is this too deep in?
That looks alright, 500F is not too low actually I remembered wrong, but your coil is probably further up than most Wands. You could try to push the adapter a little higher up and try around 525F.

I've got another Wand today and the coil position is slightly different from my previous one so there is def some difference between them.

@Brenyo Can you explain why the Tempest does work with the wand but not with the YLL 2.0 IH?
It's a firmware limitation first, but even without that it's just not powerful enough to heat it properly. YLL was working on making it compatible but it didn't work out unfortunately

SockPuppetTheatrics

No combustion when timing out at 500F. Of course, I'd already hit it a couple of times before I remembered to look at the VI, at which point it was below the third notch. I'll try 525F tonight and try to remember to look at the VI first.

SockPuppetTheatrics,
Reactions: bupbups

RedZep

Well,
I also got a bit tired of trying to find the right setting for me, and in between I got the FusionV2, which is so easy to use.:)

However, I'm not giving up on the Tempest, which has great qualities.
For the moment, I'm getting good results (1 hit, avb medium brown and homogeneous extraction) with the Wand, but by lowering the glass insert much further than Brenyo recommends, below the red silicone ring + temp set at 340°c, I'm going as far as time out.

The advantage of the cooling stem made in MH is that native extraction can be pushed to heights.
If you are tired experimenting with settings for now, try just sticking the tip on a WPA, half bowl setting. Incredible potency. I prefer a small dry bubbler. You get a perfect thick, tasty lungful. Outrageous efficiency. Best I've experienced. Only other experience that came close was multiple Anvil half bowls.

bupbups

If you are tired experimenting with settings for now, try just sticking the tip on a WPA, half bowl setting. Incredible potency. I prefer a small dry bubbler. You get a perfect thick, tasty lungful. Outrageous efficiency. Best I've experienced. Only other experience that came close was multiple Anvil half bowls.
Can you recommend a good adapter or piece?
I never used a Dyna or any pen so I've no adapters I've a 14mm female so would a 14mm - 10mm reducer work or what should I buy?

Slainte

bupbups,

RedZep

Can you recommend a good adapter or piece?
I never used a Dyna or any pen so I've no adapters I've a 14mm female so would a 14mm - 10mm reducer work or what should I buy?

Slainte
Since Dynavaps are so ubiquitous, they are easy to find. Just Google "Dynavap WPA". You can get all in ones (10mm/14mm/18mm) if you like. I personally like using the glass BB3 stem as a WPA.

If you try this try slowing the draw a little. Seems to maximise extraction. You can get killer clouds considering the size of the bowl.

But make sure to go back and experiment with the Tempest stem. It's a seriously useful bit of kit once you know how to use it. It's like having a portable bong with regards to the cooling it can give.

Vapoz

After combusting everyday for the first 3 days I decided to look at the depth of my adapter and not at the temperature, seems that indeed my coils are higher so I needed to push the glass up to get the sweet spot. using it for a week I finally dialed it in.

Vaping at 260~280c and getting almost the taste of my P80 and thats impressive (you cannot compare all the metal with glass on glass offcourse) But this thing is so fun to use, I am/was a spliff smoker and I did not smoke any morrocan hash joints since I got the Tempest, and I'm vaping for 10 years now. The ritual with the Reload to load/debowl the Tempest is so easy, I cannot wait for the full release with working click discs. @Brenyo you guys/girls did a great job!

bupbups

Since Dynavaps are so ubiquitous, they are easy to find. Just Google "Dynavap WPA". You can get all in ones (10mm/14mm/18mm) if you like. I personally like using the glass BB3 stem as a WPA.

If you try this try slowing the draw a little. Seems to maximise extraction. You can get killer clouds considering the size of the bowl.

But make sure to go back and experiment with the Tempest stem. It's a seriously useful bit of kit once you know how to use it. It's like having a portable bong with regards to the cooling it can give.
Thanks for this, yeah,

My plan is to solely use the tempest for at least 2 weeks to break my habit of the portable but I believe I might only need one blast of the tempest to convert me so hopefully it's a while before I go looking to add to bubblers but nice to know I easily can

bupbups,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Sneaky Pete sells a three way, tho at the moment it is out of stock. https://www.sneakypetestore.com/col...versal-dynavap-adapter?variant=32315953774673
I bought a similar one from AliExpress (maybe the same one) which will have a better price but a longer delivery time as it is coming from china. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...il_item.3.749af19covHcyw&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Personally I have been looking for one with a single 18mm joint as most of my pieces are 18mm and the 3 way isn't as stable as I would like. I also have a couple Wands from DDave that I cut down.

Anything that works with a Vapcap is fine as the connection is the same. I believe that is 8mm ID.

Added: Incidentally, I like the 3D nature of that 3 way which gives you something of a handle to hold on to. I hope to find a straight 18mm one that has those. I've seen some on Etsy that are 14mm.

Last edited:

TedJones

Personally I have been looking for one with a single 18mm joint as most of my pieces are 18mm and the 3 way isn't as stable as I would like
Yeah I think 14 will be the largest wpa opening we’re going to find unless custom made. I’m still liking the simple straight glass one from goodies or ritual with a low profile adapter .
Ebay .. out of stock though
Swore I saw one a couple months ago but now this page doesn’t exist :ugh:

TedJones,
Reactions: ezpz

KindBuddyBud

Just got my wand in as I wait for the tempest. Before the wand came in (totally unrelated) I got an alcohol burner just to try it with the Dynavap. I fell BACK in love with the Vapcap, sometimes you just need conduction. My local vape/glass shop had the official DynaVap adapter so I picked it up since the Dynas are out and I'm prepping for the arrival of the tempest. Not the greatest results, reminded me of this thread. Ordered the SKcreations adapter and got back to googling. I found this on Reddit and this helped out a lot. Silicone from the bottom glass from the top. Now I don't know if this tip will work on the tempest and the adapter cause I don't have one yet but, it's got me crushing tasty clouds out of the dyna and doing more... science... for... science? :sherlock:

KindBuddyBud,

ezpz

I think that's the guy who was selling some nice ones on Etsy, especially some opaque glass ones.
Yeah. Same guy. I think I read on his thread that he’s not that active on Etsy. Best to dm him here…….. so I did. Currently waiting on a custom order for my beloved tempest (my j hook setup needs an upgrade).

Top Bottom