The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Anyone recommendations on best WPA adaptor? I have a 10mm glass reducer that fits the mouthpiece but it's likely to scratch the mouthpiece over time, unless anyone thinks otherwise from experience?
There's a bunch of ways to go with this. I tend to like a simple glass WPA rather than using a stem with it. I picked up a cheap one up from Aliexpress that is 10 14 19, but since I will always be using it on 19mm, I'm looking for a specific 19mm WPA to replace this one. This one is nice because the glass rings give you a kind of a grab bar for for holding it.

garett

From the bottom:

The glass cup is all the way up in the wand. But maybe the coil in my Wand is to high, I don´t know if this is even possible?

For me, on 290C the roast is perfect, light to dark-ish, one cycle full extracted. Airflow 3/4 open, direct tube with SCU, mouthpiece fixed (I only use Wand), direct bypass, closed with finger and the occasional feathering ;)
Thx for the pics. This is pretty far inside i would say. Do you have an even roast with this settings? I still have a very dark ABV on top, the rest is more light, and its more brown in the middle than on the side. Its maybe my draw speed, do you all draw slow like on a TM?

garett,

RedZep

Thx for the pics. This is pretty far inside i would say. Do you have an even roast with this settings? I still have a very dark ABV on top, the rest is more light, and its more brown in the middle than on the side. Its maybe my draw speed, do you all draw slow like on a TM?
I'm not modulating my airflow like with TM2. I just draw naturally and casually. Are you drawing fast and powerfully?

RedZep,
Tomorrow will be 1 week of owning Tempest.

I have yet to play with options as I love the stock setup still.

Only thing I can say slightly negative is maybe the bowl/cap threading is too thin….

When stoned, sometimes I fumble for a quick sec lol

chrisnotes,
Reactions: Smknbud

Shorner

Only thing I can say slightly negative is maybe the bowl/cap threading is too thin….
I didn't like the threads on mine when I first got it but I've had mine a few weeks now and seems alot smoother screwing the cap off and on.

Shorner,

Jojofernz

Jojofernz,
Reactions: ezpz

Beansuppa

Love Hookahheads stuff, I have a green octopus from him and confirm it works well with the Tempest
Do you use the carb with that or do you keep it closed while you're inhaling? I was debating between his normal WPA and the octopus one and it basically comes down to whether the carb and the cuteness factor are worth the extra $10 haha

Beansuppa,

Jojofernz

Do you use the carb with that or do you keep it closed while you're inhaling? I was debating between his normal WPA and the octopus one and it basically comes down to whether the carb and the cuteness factor are worth the extra $10 haha
So to be honest I only tested it once, I have a carb hole on mine. It works well but I prefer using it on my VonG stem. Maybe cause I can close it? Though I did originally get the octopus for Dynavaps/armored caps and loved using it even with the carb hole

Dubber

Yeah, as far as it gets ;)
But it works like a charm for me.

The roast is perfectly even now! Regardless of the drawspeed. I sometimes do jointpuffs, sometimes deep inhales. The only difference the speed makes, is how fast the bowl is done for 😁

Beansuppa

So to be honest I only tested it once, I have a carb hole on mine. It works well but I prefer using it on my VonG stem. Maybe cause I can close it? Though I did originally get the octopus for Dynavaps/armored caps and loved using it even with the carb hole
Nice, I'm still exploring options so just wanted to get your thoughts. A vong or vong(i) would be awesome but a bit pricy to swing right now. I'm currently using a bonger which has been pretty awesome but I have to push the condenser pretty far down so it doesn't interfere with the tempest screen.

Yeah, as far as it gets ;)
But it works like a charm for me.

The roast is perfectly even now! Regardless of the drawspeed. I sometimes do jointpuffs, sometimes deep inhales. The only difference the speed makes, is how fast the bowl is done for 😁

Personally, I'm still getting pretty uneven roasts and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have my wand adapter around the same place or maybe a bit lower. I'm getting nice coffee brown avb on top but the bottom is like light amber. Last night I actually did two heatups on a full bowl, no vapor production left, but when I dumped the bowl there were actually little bits of green on some pieces. This was on a fairly strong draw through my bubbler and bonger.

Could overpacking the bowl cause this? I'm a bit paranoid about little bits falling onto the ball screen so I tend to push it down with my pinky to make sure nothing is loose, but it's possible I'm overpacking this way.

Beansuppa,

Feyd2blak

Ummm, it just got better.....
Using on my bubbler for the first time, with a DDave titanium Omega piece as a WPA, works a treat, but was using the torch for this and even though was getting thick thick tasty clouds was only getting a very light brown avb. Using the stem and wand tended to be much darker.
Following Brenyos tip below about lining up the line on the matrix with the top of the glass on the wand, rather than lining up the bottom of the cup, made a huge difference to my wand position, sitting much higher, and now getting much cooler vapour, bigger clouds through the stem and nice light avb.
Would highly recommend playing with your wand depth of not already, or trying the torch and seeing how your avb looks in comparison, honestly such a difference in vapour quality.
Definitely considering a 2nd oven to use on the dry bubbler, works really well, 3 big bowls of really tasty cool vapour.

If you concentrate the heat to the same position it will be the same.
Heating time also matters because there’s some lag. For example if you time out on the wand there is not much delay that way as it’s very slowly heating near the end.
With a torch which will heat it quicker you’ll have to account for this and remove the heat about half a line earlier for example.
With any additional heat-ups you’ll have to account for the bowl that it’s hot already so at the same cap temp there will less heat “loss” into the bowl. Again, heat it up about half a line less. You can see that the VI is still creeping up especially if you used a quicker heat source.

If you’re having trouble with the adapter setting I’d suggest the video below as a base line set to 290C or 550F until time out. This should work for both DL and MTL fairly well. Adjust the adapter 0.5mm at a time, even a small change can make significant difference.

Adjust this line where there is a small edge level with the top of the glass on the Wand.

Dubber

Could overpacking the bowl cause this?
I‘m packing it quite firm too for the same reasons. When I had the glass further down, I had scorching on the top, coffee brown at the bottom. But now it’s very even.
But it’s definitely strange, that I have to have the glass that high. The Wand is quite new, for I ordered it for the tempest, so maybe two, three weeks old.

Btw, before I had the Wand, I was using the Cuboo Pro Induction Heater for my Dynas (it seems to be the same as the first Yllvaoe IH, rebranded). While the Tempest will fit, it’s not working, it reads: Over Current. Check device.
Just for all who have a similar device and getting a Tempest!

Dubber,

RxPlorer

Jonesing so hard for the release right now, and I haven’t even received my Barch 8 Toad yet.

Nnngh minimalism is haaard

Jojofernz

Nice, I'm still exploring options so just wanted to get your thoughts. A vong or vong(i) would be awesome but a bit pricy to swing right now. I'm currently using a bonger which has been pretty awesome but I have to push the condenser pretty far down so it doesn't interfere with the tempest screen.

Personally, I'm still getting pretty uneven roasts and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have my wand adapter around the same place or maybe a bit lower. I'm getting nice coffee brown avb on top but the bottom is like light amber. Last night I actually did two heatups on a full bowl, no vapor production left, but when I dumped the bowl there were actually little bits of green on some pieces. This was on a fairly strong draw through my bubbler and bonger.

Could overpacking the bowl cause this? I'm a bit paranoid about little bits falling onto the ball screen so I tend to push it down with my pinky to make sure nothing is loose, but it's possible I'm overpacking this way.
I feel like the pack could impact it a bit.

My wand insert seems to be sitting pretty low and I get pretty even roasts throughout at 570f

Jojofernz,

Jojofernz

I can’t figure out (with the directions) how to install the SCU and direct airflow piece…how the heck does this come apart?
I was having trouble too. But you do have the directions?

I had to pull real tight at the mouthpiece part to first get it off, then the mouthpiece slides off the opposite direction. Into the mouthpiece is how to insert the direct airflow but you’ll need to but an o-ring on it. If you refer to the directions about the spinning mouthpiece, that shows there to place the o-ring to have it lock or spin

It also shows in that same space where and how to insert the SCU. It’s right there in the mouthpiece after you install and put it all pack together.

This maybe wasn’t helpful lol but maybe I can do a quick video when home

Thank you. I do have the directions, however it does not clearly show what to do…

am I pulling the mouth piece off with all my might? Am I removing orings to take something off?

mcscruffy

I was thinking of getting some SiC balls to try so I can see how they do with low temp extractions or larger concentrate quantities... is there anything to look for or anywhere in particular I should go (or avoid) to get them? The smallest I've found was a bag of ~100 3mm balls for $20 from vGoodiez or $175 for 2-2.5mm from Ortech ceramics.

Beansuppa

Well I finally did it. I dunno what I did different but I got a basically perfect, coffee grounds, full roast w/ the wand. I was really getting discouraged and wasn't sure if this vape fit me...nothing but uneven roasts. But tonight I finally "got it".

Hung out with a buddy and puffed on it while he lit his preroll. Got a nice buzz on, went back inside and saw the roast was yellow still.

Got home later, decided to do another heat up on it and took two big bubbler rips. Melted my face, and when I was done I dumped it thinking I'd find the same uneven roasts and instead saw coffee grounds.

So in one night I got two wildly different but awesome sessions, on one bowl, on one device.

This thing rules

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
So in one night I got two wildly different but awesome sessions, on one bowl, on one device. This thing rules

Thats cool mate, definitely looked like a great roast. Do you have a repeatable technique down?

I was thinking of getting some SiC balls to try so I can see how they do with low temp extractions or larger concentrate quantities.

Out of curiosity what are you expecting as a difference with SIc compared to Zrc?

I can’t figure out (with the directions) how to install the SCU and direct airflow piece…how the heck does this come apart?

Did you ever figure it out mate? If not can I help?

And randomly….

I like to set up different things to use hands free… anyone else have a setup for use at home with their Tempest?

@RedZep I decided I prefer to open the Tempest sideways on the cap of the Reload using the notches on the cap to slot into the top of the Reload? Really useful when the Tempest cap is tight and wants to slip on the magnet if your doing it vertical.

mcscruffy

Out of curiosity what are you expecting as a difference with SIc compared to Zrc?
I havent mentioned zirc that I recall but the best answer is satisfying my own tinkering curiosity vs what came with the Tempest. I'm thinking SiC is a good trade off for heat retention and heating times vs zirc (but have no personal experience to compare), while still possibly holding enough heat to get me through everything I want to throw at it on the lower and mid temps in a single cycle while also helping out with hash etc.

I find the first heat cycle for me tends to cool down faster than subsequent reheats. I don't go as hot on the wand as others, settling this week at 465F. I could still clear the bowl in one hit, but I'd rather extend that out and the second cycle is never as enjoyable as the first. I also find the effects are more to my liking when extending vs doing the one lung buster.

What I do love though is I know this thing well enough now to get consistent roast levels depending on what I'm looking for. It's really impressive from a manual device without temp regulation to be able to not only do this, but have the necessary visual aids to allow the result to be consistent and repeatable regardless of the current configuration.

I think this is my favorite overall vape I've ever used. It isn't necessarily the best at everything, but damn if it isn't in the fight across the board! Not to mention cooler looking, easier to handle than Dynas, the coolest vapor temp I've had in a package this size, top tier flavor, less smelly between cleanings... it goes on.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I havent mentioned zirc that I recall but the best answer is satisfying my own tinkering curiosity vs what came with the Tempest. I'm thinking SiC is a good trade off for heat retention and heating times vs zirc (but have no personal experience to compare), while still possibly holding enough heat to get me through everything I want to throw at it on the lower and mid temps in a single cycle while also helping out with hash etc.

I find the first heat cycle for me tends to cool down faster than subsequent reheats. I don't go as hot on the wand as others, settling this week at 465F. I could still clear the bowl in one hit, but I'd rather extend that out and the second cycle is never as enjoyable as the first. I also find the effects are more to my liking when extending vs doing the one lung buster.

What I do love though is I know this thing well enough now to get consistent roast levels depending on what I'm looking for. It's really impressive from a manual device without temp regulation to be able to not only do this, but have the necessary visual aids to allow the result to be consistent and repeatable regardless of the current configuration.

I think this is my favorite overall vape I've ever used. It isn't necessarily the best at everything, but damn if it isn't in the fight across the board! Not to mention cooler looking, easier to handle than Dynas, the coolest vapor temp I've had in a package this size, top tier flavor, less smelly between cleanings... it goes on.
thanks for sharing mate, I look forward to hearing the results of your experiments :)

VapingYogi,
Reactions: mcscruffy

garett

I'm not modulating my airflow like with TM2. I just draw naturally and casually. Are you drawing fast and powerfully?
No not really, more like joint puffs and long steady draws. Its not a problem for me to have light spots. I know this from other vapes too, TM for example. I was just wondering because a lot of you have even roast, and i don‘t.

garett,

garett

Thats cool mate, definitely looked like a great roast. Do you have a repeatable technique down?

Did you ever figure it out mate? If not can I help?

And randomly….

I like to set up different things to use hands free… anyone else have a setup for use at home with their Tempest?

@RedZep I decided I prefer to open the Tempest sideways on the cap of the Reload using the notches on the cap to slot into the top of the Reload? Really useful when the Tempest cap is tight and wants to slip on the magnet if your doing it vertical.
Whats your wand stand called?

garett,
Top Bottom