The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Ok the screens i shared are super easy to use half bowl but a pain in the ass to set them at full bowl :lol: no problem for me, but it is good to inform
I can't seem to find them in the US so I don't think I will be trying them. I am guessing I'm going to do the half bowl setting much of the time so they may work for me if I do find them. I suspect Brenyo will figure out good ones...
Maybe @Brenyo could look at taking inspiration from the Venty case here but with some minor modifications, so for example one half would hold the Wand like in the Venty picture but the other side could have another elastic strap to hold a Reload and another strap or maybe some sort or of slot to hold the Tempest in it’s leather case?
I also don't see any evidence that Brenyo is leaning in to creating a case that also holds the Wand and Reload as well as the Tempest. I suspect that will more likely be some third party.

Last edited:

Dubber

So, I got my Tempest on thursday after ten days shipping from GB to Austria, via France, so not that bad with the hold-up at customs.

My first impression: it´s an amazing device. I´m used to the cooling system cause I already own a Revolve 2, which I think is also very impressive. As is the Reload 2! ;)

After cleaning and drying, I started with a strain I know is putting out very much vapor, for a long time (in my AVLP), compared to other strains I have at the moment.

Wand, 300 C till timeout is precisely at the second mark on my VI.

I was blown away because of the amount of vapor and taste!

After it cooled down to not putting out vapor, I could do two more heatcycles without reloading! Amazing!

Strangeley, since then, I struggle to replicate this result.

Regardless of the airflow, regardless of the strain, at first heat up, two big, or four small hits, and the flower is nearly or even a little bit combusted, especially on the top, sometimes all the way through.

If that´s not the case and I try to heat up to the second mark again … combustion. And the stem is getting really, really hot.

Today, I even combusted at the second draw in the first cylce! With the same settings and very light draw.

If I heat only to the first mark, I´ll get very thin vapor for maybe only one or two draws and then it´s too cool.

I think, I still have to dial in the technique . Also, I´ve never tried it with a torch.

Btw., I also have that sizzeling, hissing sound when heating with the wand, like other guys reported. I´ve never heard anything like that in Vapcaps. It seems to come from the ball-chamber.

So, I´m hoping, I will get it right again, cause the first experience was that outstanding!
When this happens, all my Dynas will retire for sure :)

And I will have to find a suitable transport solution, cause as vegan living guy, I´m not that keen on using a leather case. I think it has to be real leather cause of the heat, so not really an option for me ;)

So now I have to experiment some more! No complaints here, cause vaping more in the name of science can´t be such a bad thing, hehehe.
If I find out why it´s combusting so easily, I´ll give you an update!

:)

Misterhyde

Alright, I have put over 100 bowls through the tempest and there’s one thing that is keeping me from absolutely loving it, and that is consistency with back to back bowls.

Using the wand, once dialed in, the first heat up will be incredibly consistent and you can get absolute lung busting hits. With excellent flavor too. However, after the first hit, if you want to do back to back bowls consider this:

1.) the clicker doesn’t do the cool down click until the entire head is cooled down (5-10 mins)…so it’s rendered useless after the first heat up
2.) the VI lags behind and does not account for how much heat is still retained from the first heat up...which also renders the VI relatively useless after the first heat up. The VI will be at the starting position despite the head still being pretty hot. You’ll have to heat to a “lower temp” on the dial during the second heat up, which becomes a guessing game

My use case for it is now as a one hitter microdoser, with the screen permanently in the half bowl setting. Very easy to load and unload, especially with the reload 2.

I avoid back to back bowls with it if possible. If I need back to back hits, i’ll pull out my anvil. Speaking of which, without comparing too much on this thread, they both hit extremely hard, with the tempest having a more convection signature. The tempest also edges the anvil in ease of loading and unloading. The anvil clicker is still king in terms of consistency and accuracy
I still find the VI to be extremely useful for reheats. While it does bottom out well before the head cools, when you dip I back into the wand it will rise much quicker than it did on the initial heat up. It still seems fairly accurate to me on back to back bowls, I find no reason to let it cool. I have noticed sometimes my cool down click happens WAY later. It will be on the table and click and I will think, "damn, I haven't used that in AWHILE"

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
And I will have to find a suitable transport solution, cause as vegan living guy, I´m not that keen on using a leather case. I think it has to be real leather cause of the heat, so not really an option for me ;)
I don't have mine yet, so I can't comment on your usage issues, but I have been a Dynastash guy from the very beginning and I really love keeping my VapCaps and Revolves in wood to carry about. The Tempests I believe are a little longer than XL VapCaps, so stashes will have to be built for them, but I'm sure @doug@futo (futo.ca) and others will be coming out with Tempest versions shortly, if they aren't already out..

Brenyo

Manufacturer
I've also noticed that the VI doesn't respond the same depending on the Wand or the torch.
Any suggestions?
If you concentrate the heat to the same position it will be the same.
Heating time also matters because there’s some lag. For example if you time out on the wand there is not much delay that way as it’s very slowly heating near the end.
With a torch which will heat it quicker you’ll have to account for this and remove the heat about half a line earlier for example.
With any additional heat-ups you’ll have to account for the bowl that it’s hot already so at the same cap temp there will less heat “loss” into the bowl. Again, heat it up about half a line less. You can see that the VI is still creeping up especially if you used a quicker heat source.

If you’re having trouble with the adapter setting I’d suggest the video below as a base line set to 290C or 550F until time out. This should work for both DL and MTL fairly well. Adjust the adapter 0.5mm at a time, even a small change can make significant difference.

Adjust this line where there is a small edge level with the top of the glass on the Wand.

1.) the clicker doesn’t do the cool down click until the entire head is cooled down (5-10 mins)…so it’s rendered useless after the first heat up
The final clicker should cool down much quicker

You’ll have to heat to a “lower temp” on the dial during the second heat up, which becomes a guessing game
Just until you find the right spot for reheats. It should be repeatable and not change on the subsequent heat-ups.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
every day I come back to see one or two little updates and I am excited again waiting for the finished product :) it almost feels like the final device will be a different experience because of the clicks and indicator and actually tuning your experience based on those things instead of based on "feel" and "timers". I feel like the clicks/vi is going to prove a much more repeatable and exacting experience allowing me to dial it in properly rather than waiting 5-10 minutes for the thing to cool down (unless my partners out of the room and I am willing to keep going until I combust which is usually about 6 bowls deep & then its a cool down, clean, and using something else to kill time)

RedZep

Just a PSA to new owners. Make sure to experiment without the secondary cooling unit. The SCU seems supplementary as opposed to necessary. After lots of experimentation I prefer without, as does Brenyo.

The SCU will give extra cooling in situations that need it, but it has a trade off in terms of airflow and taste. I find it easier to make big clouds without SCU.

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Just a PSA to new owners. Make sure to experiment without the secondary cooling unit. The SCU seems supplementary as opposed to necessary. After lots of experimentation I prefer without, as does Brenyo.

The SCU will give extra cooling in situations that need it, but it has a trade off in terms of airflow and taste. I find it easier to make big clouds without SCU.
But you mean removing SCU in combination with Helix tube or Direct tube?

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Helix tube. Direct tube sans SCU will be too hot for native imo. I tend to only use Direct tube if I'm using TI stem on glass.
Come to think of it I don't have the SCU in mainly when using the Helix tube natively (obviously)

VapingYogi,
Reactions: RedZep

leanpubpackage

Come to think of it I don't have the SCU in mainly when using the Helix tube natively (obviously)
I personally think the helix adds too much draw restriction and robs a bit too much flavor. My go to is direct tube with SCU. Cools enough natively and works great through water

However the helix cools vapor better than any stem that I have used

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I personally think the helix adds too much draw restriction and robs a bit too much flavor. My go to is direct tube with SCU. Cools enough natively and works great through waterHowever the helix cools vapor better than any stem that I have used
I tend to keep the stem clean if I use water or even glass dry, I only use the stem when using natively and I prefer the Helix I think, its at least my go to most of the time.

VapingYogi,
Reactions: RedZep

garett

So, I got my Tempest on thursday after ten days shipping from GB to Austria, via France, so not that bad with the hold-up at customs.
Great to see another Austrian here, what region are you from?

Btw., I also have that sizzeling, hissing sound when heating with the wand, like other guys reported. I´ve never heard anything like that in Vapcaps. It seems to come from the ball-chamber.

It was me. I heard that sizzling voice for the first 5 times. I think its gone now, or i dont hear it anymore. Maybe it was just water, or some other leftovers, i dont know. I will check that in the evening.

I still love that thing soo much. My dyna and my dani stares at my tempest enviously. I just need to time the second heat better.
As i said, i mostly vape outside, and with -2 it cools down quicker than inside. So i can do a second heat up, but thats harder than it sounds. 2 seconds over and it taste like combust. I try to stay between 2nd and 3rd indicator line, but its not always working.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I still love that thing soo much. My dyna and my dani stares at my tempest enviously. I just need to time the second heat better.
As i said, i mostly vape outside, and with -2 it cools down quicker than inside. So i can do a second heat up, but thats harder than it sounds. 2 seconds over and it taste like combust. I try to stay between 2nd and 3rd indicator line, but its not always working.
its funny I have the issue where my environment is a little warm, its 35c tomorrow for example

I started using the Tempest on a hot day (35c), and 300c until timeout was combusting, I was so frustrated I couldn't figure out why, Brenyo said to drop the temp (which is obvious)

Since the I have been taking notice, the days when the temp is 18c I have noticed my preferred settings are 310c until timeout... however that will combust on a hot day so when its 35c like tomorrow, I only use 295c until timeout... and I usually choose to wait until it cools down before using it again (so I have my Anvil out again out of necessity not desire) instead of using it a few times in a row.

I didn't realise how much the temperature would change the timing and when its 35+ it feels like the Tempest takes forever to cool down (watched pot never boils) it feels like longer to cool than heat up (basically impossible).

Is anyone else like me and like to set up the Tempest in some sort of "pose" when not using it? whether it be resting on the Reload Gen 2, standing up in the wand while the wand is on some crazy angle in its stand, or deconstructed and laid out in piece's?

Last edited:
VapingYogi,

garett

its funny I have the issue where my environment is a little warm, its 35c tomorrow for example, I started on a hot day, and 300c until timeout was combusting, I was so frustrated I couldn't figure out why, Brenyo said to drop the temp (which is obvious) and since the I have been taking notice, the 16-20c days I use 310c until timeout and on the hot days like the 35c tomorrow (33-37c), I only use 295c until timeout.

and this will be a positive but at the moment its hard to manage, the Tempest sometimes takes longer to cool down than it does to heat up - or at least it feels that way :)
Compared to my situation, i would need to ramp it up then from 320 to 350 or so.

kokolokokolokon

I can't seem to find them in the US so I don't think I will be trying them. I am guessing I'm going to do the half bowl setting much of the time so they may work for me if I do find them. I suspect Brenyo will figure out good ones...
Im sure he will offer a great ones. But in case…maybe searching as fury 2 screens? 🤔

Trying a big glass stem!

Last edited:

bumaye

I finally received my Tempest 2 days ago and I'm loving it! I did not imagine it would heat up that fast!

I made a little feature list for the Tempest. Did I miss anything?

- Battery-less thermal extraction device
- Similar to Dynavap
- Dynavap -> primarily conduction
- Tempest -> primarily convection
- Operating principle:
- 90 zirconium dioxide balls (ceramic oxide)
- 2 bimetal discs - click at different temperatures -> temperature range
- Additional visual temperature indicator
- Adjustable airflow resistance
- Stem corresponds to modified Revolve Gen2 Stem
- Adjustable airflow and vapor path:
- Inhaled air is mixed with vapor under the herb chamber
- Inhaled air is mixed with vapor near the mouth piece
- Spinning mouthpiece (similar to Revolve Gen1 & 2)
- Second cooling coil in the mouthpiece (similar to Revolve Gen2)
- Capacity up to 0.15 g (for me, more like 0.1 g)
- Weight only 36 g

Does anybody know at what temperatures the two discs click?

Happy vaping!

Same here. I finally let it go all the way to timeout message and got a great session. Might tweak the airflow a bit. One question - the SCU isn’t installed in the shipping unit, right?
No. It is not already installed. So try it and lemme know hehe!

chrisnotes,

fastiron

Just another happy user checking in. I've had mine for almost a week and I've used it exclusively in a glass wpa. I haven't adjusted anything, so half bowl and full airflow I think. I held my wand on the edge of a table so that the flat bottom of the head was flat to the table (the 'handle' flares out) and pushed the adapter in until the glass contacted the table. I drop the tempest in at 300c and wait for the timeout message to appear and get consistent results every time so far. I can just barely clear it in one pull but it feels like work so I usually do 2.

For reheats what I'm doing right now is just waiting until I can handle the cap with my fingers and then going back to the wand just like before. It's probably in the 5 minute range and I don't like it but it's fine for now. If I used the full bowl I wouldn't be doing back to back bowls as much but I really like that half bowl and I don't like moving screens around.

When these are generally available I'll just buy more so that I can have one cooling off while I'm using another one. I think I could justify 3 pretty easily: a half bowl wpa, a full bowl wpa, and something on the native stem with a wood sleeve of course. Unlike dynavaps those extra caps bring some utility now.

Beansuppa

@Brenyo I had some "behind the scenes" design questions that I'm not sure was in the rest of this thread, but would love if you could share your thought process if it's not too much trouble!

What was the reasoning for the redesign of the condenser, mouthpiece and airflow tube between the Revolve 2 and the Tempest? While I was tearing them both down to clean, I noticed that the changes between them means parts aren't 100% compatible between the two. But the changes are so small I'm curious why they were done to begin with. I was a bit sad to see I couldn't put my rainbow mouthpiece on my tempest stem, unless I use the entire revolve 2 condenser+airflow tube+MP assembly inside of the Tempest stem.

Another change is to the helix tube itself. After all the options available to the Revolve, I'm wondering why the helix tube doesn't have the same option to change between the DTL and MTL airflow holes. The Tempest helix tube itself still retains the mark on the top of the mouthpiece to show where the "default" position is, but because the tube has equally spaced/sized holes on the bottom rather than the two different holes in the Revolve tube, this mark doesn't actually mean anything from what I can tell. Did the MTL airflow just not work well with the Tempest cap? Is the airflow adjustment in the cap itself meant to replace the helix tube airflow?

That said, none of this is really a big deal. The compatibility between devices isn't something to be expected as they ARE different devices, and there are still overlaps which is appreciated. These are more just random musings that I wanted to ask about! I imagine there are good reasons for any changes in designs.

Thanks!

flyin911

Use, Misuse, and Abuse!
Just received my tempest. I see temperature listed for wand settings but I had took mine apart and changed it to flower mode. Does anyone know what the equivalent is for the different modes? And to be pointed in the direction of links to instructional vids would be sweet. Thanks in advance

flyin911,
Top Bottom