The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

fangorn

I can tell you that the Tempest and Wand combo is powerful...
Taking the last photos and then publishing them were the last thing my smartphone did before suddenly turning off after 18 long months of operation!
it kept me away from my pleasure of vaping for a few hours...

Back to business, it's great to replace the torch lighter with an IH.
Brenyo's settings work perfectly for me.

But switching to the helix tube gave too much fresh air flow for me at first.
I tested my last session in closed live mode and it was closer to what I'm looking for. I will continue my experiments. It's a pleasure to play with in any case!

johnnyCanuck

So… I’m assuming it’s not an issue since it hasn’t been mentioned, I was wondering how warm/hot in hand is the revolve stem is when being used back to back to back?

johnnyCanuck,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
@johnnyCanuck this was the last thing I remember mentioned about the heat transfer to the stem

(Is the Tempest to hot for the Revolve Gen 2) - Yes it would be way too hot with the Ti, the wood sleeve is fine though. Since I've increased the airflow on the final cap the new Ti sleeve is getting slightly hot as well if you do a very long draw. It's not too hot even near the tip and cools down quickly, but there is a lot of heat for sure.

HeadInTheClouds

Tempest has more in common with a B0 or sticky Brick than the aforementioned vapes

That's what I thought when I first saw the initial concept, people compare it to the DV because of the form factor but it's a complete different kind of Vape.

From what I read and the videos I saw, to me it has more in common, in terms of vapour production/density and therefore probably taste and effect, with a Dreamwood Dobby/Glow or Arizer EQ. It seems it combines the best features of some of my favourite vapes.

I really appreciate the work you put in reviewing and answering all those questions, @Brenyo and you gave us all very valuable insights.

This and the phenomenal work on the Revolve, I use mine with a Dreamwood Dobby, made this a no brainer for me.
In fact I decided to buy whatever vape @Brenyo would release the day I got the Revolve, since the Revolve was so well thought and engineered.

shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
... daymn indeed.

I was talking to someone who does youtube reviews in Australia who is a big fan of the Anvil... I was trying to explain some of the differences between the Anvil and the Tempest and in the end, I decided it wasn't a great comparison.

In the end I found I was comparing Tempest to things like the Zen Leaf series, the Old Head - Terp Hammer, the prototype of the Screwball Tether-less device, the Stunner and Thermal Accumulator.

That is they all use a external heat source to heat up an assembly that contains balls that retain the heat for long enough for you to take your time to vaporize your herbs in your chosen way. In all cases the assembly has a matching bowl that it connects with to create an oven, which then is used, either with a water pipe (Terp Hammer, Zen Leaf, Screwball, TA, Stunner, Tempest) or using some sort of stem (Tempest, TA, Stunner).

We were talking about how long the heat retention was after you heated it before you had to heat it again.
Which materials held the heat for longer,
Which was better for flavour,
The differences in the sizes of the bowls,
The ability for it to be used minimalisticly (either with a stem or Jhook).
We also talked about features: like does it have compatibility with different assemblies, stems or water pipes.
We talked about battery PID and 37v coils and the ability for them to be taken out in the wild without cables.

It just felt like a better conversation about the Tempest than when I have talked about it in comparison than the Dynavaps (with or without armored cap, fmj etc) or even the Dani or Anvil...

*** haven't touched a device yet, just talking from specifications and reviews especially from @RedZep

Last edited:

kokolokokolokon

I have the urge to share some videos and images :bang: But i need to try more configs (and i realized i was using the wand with golisi S30 and not with the molicel P28, so maybe my wand heats a little slower and maybe that´s why i need more temp/time)

Edit: any metallic dark blue out there? Would love to see it in other photos :D

Last edited:

garett

I have the urge to share some videos and images :bang: But i need to try more configs (and i realized i was using the wand with golisi S30 and not with the molicel P28, so maybe my wand heats a little slower and maybe that´s why i need more temp/time)

Edit: any metallic dark blue out there? Would love to see it in other photos :D
Mine will be dark blue. I will post pictures when i got it.

bhasma

The Tempest is a slim TA with temperature indicators, and the Stunner is a copy of the TA, so they are all very similar. A Dynavap is quite different to these, and even with an FMJ or armoured cap it isn't comparable with an Anvil. And the Anvil has a thermal battery that doesn't directly heat the air or the herb, with the oven wall heating the air and the battery transferring heat to the wall to maintain its temperature and extend the heating cycle. But the TA style vapes can store more heat in their thermal reservoir, which heats the incoming air directly. And the Anvil's snap discs are part of the bowl, sitting between the oven and the herb chamber in its thermal circuit, while the Tempest's indicators sit above the thermal matrix with the bowl below. Dynavap, Anvil and Tempest all function quite differently.

The other devices have two clicks, mainly for redundancy but the slight difference between snap discs is actually helpful in heating. I assume that the variation is due to the difficulty of making every clicker exactly the same and the limitations of testing (and acceptable wastage). Most of my Dynavap caps click twice, and my Anvil bowls all have two distinct clicks. In practice, I usually heat a Dynavap to the second click or beyond, but the Anvil's clickers indicate a useful range and heating past the second click is never needed. Vestratto's calibration apparently matches the snap discs within 4°C, and with moderate heating the clicks can be 3 or 4 seconds apart. And I wonder, does (or will) the Tempest's audible indicator have two clicks or just one?

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
And I wonder, does (or will) the Tempest's audible indicator have two clicks or just one?
I believe I remember reading that the Tempest will have 2 snap discs so I would imagine there will be 2 clicks although I can't say whether they're tuned for a temp range (low temp -> RTL) or whether they click at the same temp and the second is just for redundancy in case one fails.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I believe I remember reading that the Tempest will have 2 snap discs so I would imagine there will be 2 clicks although I can't say whether they're tuned for a temp range (low temp -> RTL) or whether they click at the same temp and the second is just for redundancy in case one fails.
you can see him install 2 discs in the video installation guide for the test kit users

VapingYogi,
Reactions: bhasma

HaggisHunter

Welcome mate. I can confirm it's a big step up from Dynavap. I'm someone who loved the ease of use, portability, workflow of the Dynavap. I was a day one Dynavap user since the first glass model, and owned Omni's and Simrell stems etc.

I ended up selling my Dynas couple years back as the small bowl size, and inability to fully extract in a single heat cycle put me off. It just became a chore.

Tempest is that Dyva package except with the performance of a heavy hitter. Has same easy workflow, ease of cleaning, versatility etc. I'm a month into the so called honeymoon and I still love it.
Thanks man. All sounds very appealing.

Dynas really suited my lifestyle too, I built up a sizable collection of them as well, they just don't have the ability to turn it up to 11 unfortunately and they're not really hitting the mark anymore, other things have pushed me away from them too.

I think they still have their place, but less so for me, I sold all of mine other than a short omnivap as my wife bought me it, I have my revolves and a couple of titanium tips, I must have gotten rid of about 20-25 of them.

Which has been great timing on the tempest...
Tempest really sounds like it's my vape end game. I just want the best tool for the job to suit my needs, it just seems like it has every option covered for me.
I am looking forward to seeing what I can get away with in terms of a smaller fill in the bowl, I am a micro doser most of the time I'd say. Would normally prefer to do a couple of smaller bowls than one big. But I guess that also chops and changes with mood, will just take a bit of dialling it in like anything else.
Messing around with the settings on the revolve was a lot of fun when I got that, this will keep me occupied for a good bit given the extra airflow options on the head to go with the other more familiar options.

I do like and have a requirement for as compact a set-up as possible at times, wonder if there will be any plans for dosing capsules at any point, I get not everyone wants or has a use for them, but they are extremely handy when packing light.

RedZep

Thanks man. All sounds very appealing.

Dynas really suited my lifestyle too, I built up a sizable collection of them as well, they just don't have the ability to turn it up to 11 unfortunately and they're not really hitting the mark anymore, other things have pushed me away from them too.

I think they still have their place, but less so for me, I sold all of mine other than a short omnivap as my wife bought me it, I have my revolves and a couple of titanium tips, I must have gotten rid of about 20-25 of them.

Which has been great timing on the tempest...
Tempest really sounds like it's my vape end game. I just want the best tool for the job to suit my needs, it just seems like it has every option covered for me.
I am looking forward to seeing what I can get away with in terms of a smaller fill in the bowl, I am a micro doser most of the time I'd say. Would normally prefer to do a couple of smaller bowls than one big. But I guess that also chops and changes with mood, will just take a bit of dialling it in like anything else.
Messing around with the settings on the revolve was a lot of fun when I got that, this will keep me occupied for a good bit given the extra airflow options on the head to go with the other more familiar options.

I do like and have a requirement for as compact a set-up as possible at times, wonder if there will be any plans for dosing capsules at any point, I get not everyone wants or has a use for them, but they are extremely handy when packing light.
Same story here. I ended up trying loads of vapes since, many of which outclassed Dynavap and gave me the power I was looking for. Like B0, sticky Brick, TM2, volcano Hybrid. I found things I disliked with all of them. Always trade offs, often in the workflow or cleaning category.

I've since realized if I dislike the loading/reloading process, and cleaning then it doesn't matter how good a vape is, I end up have mixed feelings about it. Tempest has been a revelation for me. Can't find any tradeoffs. The elegance of the native ritual, coupled with a Reload is beautiful also.

HaggisHunter

Same story here. I ended up trying loads of vapes since, many of which outclassed Dynavap and gave me the power I was looking for. Like B0, sticky Brick, TM2, volcano Hybrid. I found things I disliked with all of them. Always trade offs, often in the workflow or cleaning category.

I've since realized if I dislike the loading/reloading process, and cleaning then it doesn't matter how good a vape is, I end up have mixed feelings about it. Tempest has been a revelation for me. Can't find any tradeoffs. The elegance of the native ritual, coupled with a Reload is beautiful also.
I had to hold off buying other vapes, never afraid to spend money but I could usually see where something would annoy me and it would put me right off buying, storz and bickel handhelds are a good example, I don't care how good they are, I'll never buy one purely for the way they look.
They can do better, and for the cost they really should be, it's just not good enough.

Cleaning is a big thing for me too and I think the cleaning process for most of the vapes you mentioned would get to me.

I've no idea how many hours I've spent watching reviews on youtube and the like trying to find something that I really wanted to buy.

I like basic, I like metal, I like adjustability/options, I like a discreet form factor and probably most of all I want it to be robust, I spend a lot of time on a bike so my gear gets battered around in bags etc. I don't want expensive vapes getting smashed up when I'm out and about doing my bike thing.

Also had battery vapes getting covered in condensation while I've been say out in the hills when it's been really cold, they are used, then put in the rucsac and when I take it out next they have condensation on them, possibly inside it too, then I get worried the circuits/electronics are probably going to corrode and stop working or cause another issue etc. I get that it's not really the devices fault, but it's just another consideration that I need to take into account that's put me off portable heavy hitters with a battery.
So yeah, that's another worry that takes me towards something like this.

I could have just bought and sold them as I went, but having spent about 75K in the last 10-15 years alone on my mountain bikes and associated parts, I already have one expensive hobby and I think my wife (and me for that matter) would prefer me keep it to one expensive hobby....

Tempest works with a torch, works an induction heater, has multiple options for setting it up according to taste and draw style, comes apart easily (I'm guessing), cleans easily, don't need to run a lot of material through the bowl to get a decent rip out of it (from what I've read).
Everything I've read in this thread so far just makes me think that it's going to be a positive purchase for me.

I also have sensitivity issues in my throat and the revolve was a game changer for me with the dyna's, from what's been said about the cooling in the tempest, even though its a heavy hitter it sounds like I'll manage fine.

Then there's the possibility of messing with the colours on it, not really anything to be concerned about, other than when they're released haha, but I'm an 'it'll be ready when it's ready' type of person.

RedZep

I had to hold off buying other vapes, never afraid to spend money but I could usually see where something would annoy me and it would put me right off buying, storz and bickel handhelds are a good example, I don't care how good they are, I'll never buy one purely for the way they look.
They can do better, and for the cost they really should be, it's just not good enough.

Cleaning is a big thing for me too and I think the cleaning process for most of the vapes you mentioned would get to me.

I've no idea how many hours I've spent watching reviews on youtube and the like trying to find something that I really wanted to buy.

I like basic, I like metal, I like adjustability/options, I like a discreet form factor and probably most of all I want it to be robust, I spend a lot of time on a bike so my gear gets battered around in bags etc. I don't want expensive vapes getting smashed up when I'm out and about doing my bike thing.

Also had battery vapes getting covered in condensation while I've been say out in the hills when it's been really cold, they are used, then put in the rucsac and when I take it out next they have condensation on them, possibly inside it too, then I get worried the circuits/electronics are probably going to corrode and stop working or cause another issue etc. I get that it's not really the devices fault, but it's just another consideration that I need to take into account that's put me off portable heavy hitters with a battery.
So yeah, that's another worry that takes me towards something like this.

I could have just bought and sold them as I went, but having spent about 75K in the last 10-15 years alone on my mountain bikes and associated parts, I already have one expensive hobby and I think my wife (and me for that matter) would prefer me keep it to one expensive hobby....

Tempest works with a torch, works an induction heater, has multiple options for setting it up according to taste and draw style, comes apart easily (I'm guessing), cleans easily, don't need to run a lot of material through the bowl to get a decent rip out of it (from what I've read).
Everything I've read in this thread so far just makes me think that it's going to be a positive purchase for me.

I also have sensitivity issues in my throat and the revolve was a game changer for me with the dyna's, from what's been said about the cooling in the tempest, even though its a heavy hitter it sounds like I'll manage fine.

Then there's the possibility of messing with the colours on it, not really anything to be concerned about, other than when they're released haha, but I'm an 'it'll be ready when it's ready' type of person.
Yeah this is the perfect vape for you. Clear as day.

Beansuppa

So I stopped following this thread for a bit just cuz it was hard to keep up...was there another drop recently, other than the one with the purple and green versions two weeks ago? I missed it didn't I, lmao.

Guess I'm waiting till December! Cool to see more of these out in the wild though

chimpybits

I like basic, I like metal, I like adjustability/options, I like a discreet form factor and probably most of all I want it to be robust, I spend a lot of time on a bike so my gear gets battered around in bags etc. I don't want expensive vapes getting smashed up when I'm out and about doing my bike thing...
Huh took the words right of my mouth. Another rare member afflicted with VNAS. Another 'it'll be ready when it's ready' type of person over here. :wave:

Last edited:

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
While I know some might feel like they are missing out, remember these are pre-production beta units. Unlike S&B who appears to have used retail customers in an extended Venty beta, I appreciate that @Brenyo has been up-front throughout. Some of us are getting an early peek with some functionality still to be calibrated, and the launch will be that much more refined and retail ready out of the gate.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
@RedZep @HaggisHunter

Not totally dissimilar

I spent over a decade trying to vape but I always had a bong under the house for when I needed it (which was at least every other day). I think my journey into vaping was along these lines: I think the first vape I think I ever bought was the Arizer Silver Sufer, I only remember as my ex took it when we separated, it was ok, but it was more a "gimmick" for me at the time, I was curious but wasn't really committed to it. I had pneumonia and decided I really wanted to stop smoking so I went and bought a full Stortz and Bickel kit; and as new ones came out I kept getting them hoping that they would be better than the last and fix the issue I had with vaping and maybe, just maybe, I would finally be able to stop smoking. I got a Volcano Classic, Might OG, Volcano Digit, Crafty OG, Crafty+ and the last two where the Volcano Hybrid and Mighty+... I don't use any of them and if I still have them and haven't given them away they are in boxes or on display. I was determined to quit smoking but... I couldn't, I just couldn't get medicated to the level I wanted to using the S&B gear (oh I had a OG Solo as well as a bunch of other stuff - I'll include the list of what I remember at the bottom), I would get frustrated, 4 or 5 bags in, just not feeling what I wanted to be feeling, using concentrates, on pads or flower sandwich, I just was never happy with it. Also as I was only S&B kit, I struggled with the dry heat and found that I got a lot of gunk in my lungs and was still coughing which was sort of what I was trying to avoid in part so, I wasn't quite happy with that. Also I would take a portable vape with me (a Crafty, Pax) when I would go out, but I would end up getting papers and rolling a splif and leaving the vape in someone's car or at someone house and have to get it like the following week. Its been and still is a continual journey of trial and error the Anvil and Taroma 360 and random dynavaps are my current rotation but its still not right.

#stillsearching

Top Bottom