The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

kokolokokolokon

Cheers but im not interested in the stunner.
Me neither :D I prefer to wait for a tempest.
But, since it is a ballvape too, i thought it was a fine comparison. I think the tempest and the anvil will the the top notch butane vapes for years. It wuld be like decide between 2 different overpowered builds in a rpg game :freak:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
The wand is hands free with a "timer", cheaper and easier to replace the battery. For the Tempest I wouldn't recommend the VHB.
The VHB will be quicker with a DV.
Wow. This is really not what I expected. I was looking to get the portable VHB IH as a complement to the Wand because it seemed a bit more compact and potentially more powerful. It has 3x18650s compared to 2 in the Wand. Not only that but it ships with 3 Molicel P28a 18650s which are kind of the best out there afaik.

Does the VHB 3D 3S (the portable one) take longer to heat than the 35s with the Wand? Not sure why it would only be quicker for DVs. Does it have to do with the coil size? I know the wand has a bigger coil diameter.

As an aside, I will say that by owning a Stunner and a Wand, I can confirm that the Stunner (most similar to the Tempest right now) also takes about the same 35s to heat from cold and is capable of multiple draws without reheating. The nice things I've found about heating with an IH is:

1) I like taking puffs while heating. They're super tasty and you can always choose to stop heating early if you want low temp hits.

2) Once the vape is hot, re-heating the same bowl or heating after loading a second bowl is really much faster (less than half the time). Re-heating the same bowl is a really pleasant experience for me. I just hold the Wand at the tip while puffing away and testing for vapor. So much like re-lighting a cigar. I love it.

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: endof3d

RedZep

Ok I'm ready to share my thoughts on the Tempest. I've had the device for two days, but I've put about 2.5g through it (work from home)

I've broken down my feedback into categories, and included some pics at the bottom of the post showing some of my methods of use.

For context to my feedback I will inform that I own/owned the following vapes - Dynavap, Anvil, Mighty, TM2, Volcano Hybrid, Flowerpot Weedeater, B0, Sticky Brick Runt. My experiences with these vapes is what informs my below opinions. I won't compare Tempest directly to a device as that is not accepted on FC unless in a dedicated thread.

BUILD QUALITY - The device is beautifully made. Full of little details. The visual indicator works like magic. It moves smoothly and continuously. No staggering. It allows you to perfectly heat to your desired temp with no overshoot. Watching the indicator move feels like magic or the work of some helpful stoner ghost. The weight is just right. Heavy enough to give it some substance, but light enough to take on a long hike. It weighs less than a Simrell, but has much more substance than something like an Omnivap. I found one thing I dislike. I find it's really difficult to remove the airflow tubes from the mouthpiece. It take a lot of physical effort. This may be resolved by lubricating the o-rings.

WORKFLOW - Elegant and joyous. Filling/refilling emptying/reloading is as good as it gets. Anyone who has filled a dynavap from a stash or grinder knows it doesn't get much simpler. I would advise buyers to either purchase a Reload MK 2, or something that can de-bowl as well. Please note I've tried using a de-capper de-bowler, Brilliant cut grinder magnet, and another magnet to poor results. You need a magnet that will really securely hold the device if you want to do hot reloads. I would recommend just getting a Reload if you want to do hot reloads, as I found the Reload to elevate the workload experience. I've found I reload after each heat cycle, even if i'm not using again until later. This is a sign of a reload process that is elegant and fun.

VAPE SIG, POTENCY, SATIETY - The Tempest is a potent vape that can deliver satisfying clouds that fill the lungs, or be sipped on like a joint. I find the vape signature to be clean and calm. It feels in the same ball park as a B0 in terms of the achievable effects. Does not seem to lean too much into conduction at all. However the device can deliver more conduction by heating lower on the cap. I've tried this and found the signature to change correspondingly to this.

COOLING - Here was something that blew away my expectations. The vapour is completely comfortable even when vaping at a high temp/roast level. Two things to note, I am primarily a direct to lung user, and I can fill my lungs completely with no discomfort on the inhale and exhale. Second thing to note is Brenyo actually forgot to send the secondary cooling spiral, Let that sink in. I experimented with J-hook and bong (more below) just out of interest, but this device needs no accessory to modify the vapour.

TASTE - Here is another expectation blew away. It simply tastes better than I expect vapes of this type to achieve. Even when vaping at high temps, there is this tiny delay when drawing when you can feel the bowl coming up to temp, and you get the terpenes before the roast begins. I believe the herb chamber is adequately isolated from the heat until the user draws. I tried the device on a J-hook using the direct flow tube set to bypass, and it tasted great, but doesn't seem much better than using the device native.
Please note I don't have the secondary cooling spiral which would presumably take some flavour.

HEAT TIME - 35-37 seconds on the Ispire Want induction heater gives me complete extraction at the levels I want, with a nice dark brown consistent roast. I have also tried back to back bowls going from IH - reload - Torch. With this method I found I can bring the cap back up to temp in about 10 seconds using my torch and the visual temp indicator, which is ridiculously quick when you factor in the reload time. You can chain bowls in this thing in violent rapidity, and faster than a desktop ballvape would even be able to recover it's temp. Please note I am reheating for the purpose of extracting a NEW bowl. The Tempest always has more than enough heat in a cycle to fully extract.

AIRFLOW - Another expectation smashed. It's so open. Some users might know me as the guy with the jaw condition (TMJD) which has seen me sell vapes because any jaw tension from air restriction/mouth position causes me severe pain. I can draw on the Tempest just with the force of my lungs with my jaw muscles relaxed. I don't even have it set to the most open setting.

GLASS - I've used the Tempest with a full size bong. A small bubbler, and a dry J-hook. All using the Direct flow Tube which allows to bypass the primary cooling function in the Tempest, avoiding cooling overkill with glass. The Tempest looks like it will natively fit a 10mm, but I would not suggest it as the glass joint will scratch the mouthpiece. To connect to 14mm I used the OG plastic mouthpiece that came with the first ever Dynavap made from glass. Maybe you can still buy them. Apparently you could also use o-rings but I have none to size. I found both the bong and bubbler to be massive overkill and detracted from the experience. I found the J-hook to be very enjoyable, but not superior to Native use. It just doesn't give enough to warrant losing the elegance of native. The flavour while lovely, is just about matched by the native device also.

CLEANING - The device stays strangely clean. You get some honey forming on the cooling spiral, but the screen does not clog easily at all. I used the device all day yesterday and disassembled for overnight cleaning, only to find the screen to look fine. So I didn't bother. My method of cleaning will just be to leave in hot water and dish detergent every couple of nights. You could also shake it in a tubo with some ISO.

SHARING - It really is like passing a joint. It's a way to share a ball vape without the other person being intimidated or thinking you are some mad cannabis scientist.

HASH - I Added some to the chamber in some vape cotton. The device holds its heat cycle for a long time and allows to puff on it like a blunt. It was too hot for me to do DTL, but MTL was fine. I normally find hash hotter and harsher in any vape. I will be interested to try hash with the secondary cooling spiral and will probably prefer it that way. Since hash goes for ages, you can just keep bringing back up to temp with the torch and the visual indicator. It's really like smoking a joint, that goes out now and again and needs re-lighting. Easily my favourite hash vape experience of all time.

FINAL THOUGHTS - I was very excited for this vape. However I knew that if my expectations on cooling and airflow were not met I would have had to sell the vape. I was hopeful that the device would be just comfortable enough temp wise, and only give me a bit of pain, with not too much air restriction. The vape destroyed my fears. This vape doesn't just do enough, it does more than enough. More cooling than needed with secondary cooling spiral. More heat calories and heat cycle length than needed to extract a 0.15g bowl. This vape could comfortably vape a 0.2-0.25g bowl, if one was released in the future. This thing is special, and I expect it to be disruptive. It's peerless in it's category, and feels like a new generation.

Let me know if anyone has questions or things they would like me to try.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Excellent review, thank you. Very complete.
VAPE SIG, POTENCY, SATIETY - The Tempest is a potent vape that can deliver satisfying clouds that fill the lungs, or be sipped on like a joint. I find the vape signature to be clean and calm. It feels in the same ball park as a B0 in terms of the achievable effects. Does not seem to lean too much into conduction at all. However the device can deliver more conduction by heating lower on the cap. I've tried this and found the signature to change correspondingly to this.
This is truly excellent news, because my one concern with this vape watching the videos was that I had to take huge hits with it to truly take advantage of it. That does not appear to be the case so if I want those huge hits I can get them simply and if I want to be a little easier on my lungs, I can do that too. Your review excites me even more than I already was. I do love going through glass and usually do at home, but I also want this to be a portable I can stick in my pocket without glass and the fact that you feel that additional cooling outside the device is almost completely unnecessary is another huge plus for me...

TankeyPankey

@RedZep Holy shit what a review. I know this is probably talked about in the Revolve thread, but did you play around with the different airflow options on the stem? I think Brenyo mentioned the tip would have some sort of airflow control too? You mentioned it's completely open, which is what I'd prefer too, but is there also a way to close it and make it a little more restrictive?

RedZep

Excellent review, thank you. Very complete.

This is truly excellent news, because my one concern with this vape watching the videos was that I had to take huge hits with it to truly take advantage of it. That does not appear to be the case so if I want those huge hits I can get them simply and if I want to be a little easier on my lungs, I can do that too. Your review excites me even more than I already was. I do love going through glass and usually do at home, but I also want this to be a portable I can stick in my pocket without glass and the fact that you feel that additional cooling outside the device is almost completely unnecessary is another huge plus for me...
You can casually puff away on it. Important to note that with DTL full lungfulls it is not uncomfortable at all. I get discomfort with my B0 regardless of glass piece used. Usually in the exhale. But Tempest is comfortable this way, even without secondary cooling spiral.

If you are someone who usually refrains from DTL for comfort reasons I would suggest giving it a go if/when you buy one.

I love using glass also. Especially j-hook. But only because the glass gives something. The native experience with Tempest needs nothing. So using glass is adding more processes to the work flow. Unless for users who like the visual feedback of seeing glass fog up. That's all I can think of really.

RedZep

@RedZep Holy shit what a review. I know this is probably talked about in the Revolve thread, but did you play around with the different airflow options on the stem? I think Brenyo mentioned the tip would have some sort of airflow control too? You mentioned it's completely open, which is what I'd prefer too, but is there also a way to close it and make it a little more restrictive?
Yes both tube options have multiple airflow settings.

I wasn't using it fully open and found it perfect. As previously mentioned I usually make vapes as open as possible due to my condition.

RedZep

@RedZep nice review!! The hype can’t be higher

You don’t know how i like you did a hash review!
I like everything I read

Did you try to remove the balls?
I have not removed the balls yet. The test device does not have the machined cover. The balls are just held in by a screen. The balls I was testing with were ZIRC. I intend to test with BORO tomorrow.

Thanks. I tried to experiment in as many ways as were open to me. Felt like a movie sequence where a lab is running tests on some mutant super hero.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice @RedZep! did not know you were getting an early unit to test and review here since the pre-orders have not even gone up yet I guess? You did good with the testing and writing, thanks for paying it forward, you are already an FC pro vaporist now! :clap::tup:

RedZep

Nice @RedZep! did not know you were getting an early unit to test and review here since the pre-orders have not even gone up yet I guess? You did good with the testing and writing, thanks for paying it forward, you are already an FC pro vaporist now! :clap::tup:
Thanks SS, that's very kind :love:. I got the message informing I had a test unit coming just this past Friday. Brenyo informed me and sent it the same day. I imagine because I'm a UK user (fast shipping) who was active on the thread and had recently purchased a Reload. The device was delivered yesterday morning.

Aegisz

Wow, thanks for the overview RedZep. There are some really exciting things I hadn't even thought about. Fastest pre-order of my life.

Aegisz,
Reactions: RedZep

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
@RedZep Thanks for confirming are suspesions, we have some next level shit coming to us soon.

For total transparency please can you tell us about your relationship with mad heaters, and was the unit a freebie or did you pay?

oddjobold,

HashOnMyMind

Ok I'm ready to share my thoughts on the Tempest. I've had the device for two days, but I've put about 2.5g through it (work from home)

Awesome review! Now i will 100% get one asap. B0 in your pocket insane. The amount of versatility wow...

Wish you could cheaply replace the SS layer around the bowl so i dont have to rebuy a 70$ bowl if its gets blemished from torch use. Maybe thats possible?

Did you turn the vape when heating with a torch or just hit it without turning?
Love the hash review!!

HashOnMyMind,

RedZep

@RedZep Thanks for confirming are suspesions, we have some next level shit coming to us soon.

For total transparency please can you tell us about your relationship with mad heaters, and was the unit a freebie or did you pay?
No relationship. I was told on Friday I was being sent a test unit. I think I was chosen because I'm in then UK (shiping) I'm active on the thread and I recently purchased a Reload.

I've had no instructions other than to tell people what I think. I have not paid for the unit, but I presumed it is a temporary loan. I will be buying a full unit day one regardless, as it will be completed design with tuned indicators and ball access lid. Also because to be frank, there is no way I'm not sending Brenyo money for a vape this good.

The words im my review are sincere, and I'm so happy this thing exists.

Awesome review! Now i will 100% get one asap. B0 in your pocket insane. The amount of versatility wow...

Wish you could cheaply replace the SS layer around the bowl so i dont have to rebuy a 70$ bowl if its gets blemished from torch use. Maybe thats possible?

Did you turn the vape when heating with a torch or just hit it without turning?
Love the hash review!!
I like it much more than my B0. So for me it's very much its own thing. I won't go into detail in comparisons. If anyone wants me to draw direct comparisons with any of the vapes I mentioned I'm experienced with, feel free to create a comparison thread and I will add my thoughts.

I think you will be able to clean the cap. With something like barkeeps friend. My advice is either to let it go and embrace the colour change. Or to maybe buy two tips, one for only IH use.

My advice would be to just have one and use it for both. My experience using IH and torch in the same sitting in a hybrid sense was mind blowing. The IH becomes the initial warm up tool. Then the torch just brings back to heat after a reload in around 10 seconds (using single flame midsize torch at around 80% flame length). I just think people don't want to miss that. It's one of the strengths of the visual indicator.

As I said in another post. This thing will be used like a daily beater. The performance, ease of cleaning, versatility and sturdiness attest to that. To use an analogy, it is a very nice watch, with a handmade swiss movement. But it's also a field watch, rugged, waterproof, and cries out to be worn every single day, whether in the office of on a hike. It's not that watch you keep in the drawer and bring out on special occasions. So embrace the full usage I say.

I didn't spin device when heating with torch. I found no need. I need to test more. I also haven't heated from cold start using torch yet. I've only used it to bring back up to temp. I'll do some more testing today including testing Boro balls and report back.

Any comments on the glass tube? I prefer my Revolve through the glass

Brenyo informed the new wood and glass sleeves are complete and on their way to him. He didn't want to send me outdated versions.

My original intent was to only buy full Titanium, as I think it will give a slight cooling boost (Titanium absorbs heat better). But now after trying and finding the device has ample cooling, I can see myself buying wood and glass stems also.

Why do you prefer glass? I'm interested in your thoughts as I have no experience with the Revolve.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
It is possible, but you'd need to replace 2 parts, both the SS layer and the end cap with the indicators.
I'll get some more of those with the next batch, I forgot this time unfortunately.
Brenyo informed the new wood and glass sleeves are complete and on their way to him
Not yet, but should be soon.

lluther

I've broken down my feedback into categories, and included some pics at the bottom of the post showing some of my methods of use.

For context to my feedback I will inform that I own/owned the following vapes - Dynavap, Anvil, Mighty, TM2, Volcano Hybrid, Flowerpot Weedeater, B0, Sticky Brick Runt. My experiences with these vapes is what informs my below opinions. I won't compare Tempest directly to a device as that is not accepted on FC unless in a dedicated thread.

BUILD QUALITY - The device is beautifully made. Full of little details. The visual indicator works like magic. It moves smoothly and continuously. No staggering. It allows you to perfectly heat to your desired temp with no overshoot. Watching the indicator move feels like magic or the work of some helpful stoner ghost. The weight is just right. Heavy enough to give it some substance, but light enough to take on a long hike. It weighs less than a Simrell, but has much more substance than something like an Omnivap. I found one thing I dislike. I find it's really difficult to remove the airflow tubes from the mouthpiece. It take a lot of physical effort. This may be resolved by lubricating the o-rings.

WORKFLOW - Elegant and joyous. Filling/refilling emptying/reloading is as good as it gets. Anyone who has filled a dynavap from a stash or grinder knows it doesn't get much simpler. I would advise buyers to either purchase a Reload MK 2, or something that can de-bowl as well. Please note I've tried using a de-capper de-bowler, Brilliant cut grinder magnet, and another magnet to poor results. You need a magnet that will really securely hold the device if you want to do hot reloads. I would recommend just getting a Reload if you want to do hot reloads, as I found the Reload to elevate the workload experience. I've found I reload after each heat cycle, even if i'm not using again until later. This is a sign of a reload process that is elegant and fun.

COOLING - Here was something that blew away my expectations. The vapour is completely comfortable even when vaping at a high temp/roast level. Two things to note, I am primarily a direct to lung user, and I can fill my lungs completely with no discomfort on the inhale and exhale. Second thing to note is Brenyo actually forgot to send the secondary cooling spiral, Let that sink in. I experimented with J-hook and bong (more below) just out of interest, but this device needs no accessory to modify the vapour.

TASTE - Here is another expectation blew away. It simply tastes better than I expect vapes of this type to achieve. Even when vaping at high temps, there is this tiny delay when drawing when you can feel the bowl coming up to temp, and you get the terpenes before the roast begins. I believe the herb chamber is adequately isolated from the heat until the user draws. I tried the device on a J-hook using the direct flow tube set to bypass, and it tasted great, but doesn't seem much better than using the device native.
Please note I don't have the secondary cooling spiral which would presumably take some flavour.

HEAT TIME - 35-37 seconds on the Ispire Want induction heater gives me complete extraction at the levels I want, with a nice dark brown consistent roast. I have also tried back to back bowls going from IH - reload - Torch. With this method I found I can bring the cap back up to temp in about 10 seconds using my torch and the visual temp indicator, which is ridiculously quick when you factor in the reload time. You can chain bowls in this thing in violent rapidity, and faster than a desktop ballvape would even be able to recover it's temp. Please note I am reheating for the purpose of extracting a NEW bowl. The Tempest always has more than enough heat in a cycle to fully extract.

AIRFLOW - Another expectation smashed. It's so open. Some users might know me as the guy with the jaw condition (TMJD) which has seen me sell vapes because any jaw tension from air restriction/mouth position causes me severe pain. I can draw on the Tempest just with the force of my lungs with my jaw muscles relaxed. I don't even have it set to the most open setting.

GLASS - I've used the Tempest with a full size bong. A small bubbler, and a dry J-hook. All using the Direct flow Tube which allows to bypass the primary cooling function in the Tempest, avoiding cooling overkill with glass. The Tempest looks like it will natively fit a 10mm, but I would not suggest it as the glass joint will scratch the mouthpiece. To connect to 14mm I used the OG plastic mouthpiece that came with the first ever Dynavap made from glass. Maybe you can still buy them. Apparently you could also use o-rings but I have none to size. I found both the bong and bubbler to be massive overkill and detracted from the experience. I found the J-hook to be very enjoyable, but not superior to Native use. It just doesn't give enough to warrant losing the elegance of native. The flavour while lovely, is just about matched by the native device also.

CLEANING - The device stays strangely clean. You get some honey forming on the cooling spiral, but the screen does not clog easily at all. I used the device all day yesterday and disassembled for overnight cleaning, only to find the screen to look fine. So I didn't bother. My method of cleaning will just be to leave in hot water and dish detergent every couple of nights. You could also shake it in a tubo with some ISO.

SHARING - It really is like passing a joint. It's a way to share a ball vape without the other person being intimidated or thinking you are some mad cannabis scientist.

HASH - I Added some to the chamber in some vape cotton. The device holds its heat cycle for a long time and allows to puff on it like a blunt. It was too hot for me to do DTL, but MTL was fine. I normally find hash hotter and harsher in any vape. I will be interested to try hash with the secondary cooling spiral and will probably prefer it that way. Since hash goes for ages, you can just keep bringing back up to temp with the torch and the visual indicator. It's really like smoking a joint, that goes out now and again and needs re-lighting. Easily my favourite hash vape experience of all time.

FINAL THOUGHTS - I was very excited for this vape. However I knew that if my expectations on cooling and airflow were not met I would have had to sell the vape. I was hopeful that the device would be just comfortable enough temp wise, and only give me a bit of pain, with not too much air restriction. The vape destroyed my fears. This vape doesn't just do enough, it does more than enough. More cooling than needed with secondary cooling spiral. More heat calories and heat cycle length than needed to extract a 0.15g bowl. This vape could comfortably vape a 0.2-0.25g bowl, if one was released in the future. This thing is special, and I expect it to be disruptive. It's peerless in it's category, and feels like a new generation.

Thank you for this outstanding review, cannot wait to get one!

Feyd2blak

Tremendous, thank you, exactly what I wanted to hear, look forward to other testers opinions but this has just pushed the hype to ridiculous levels

mcscruffy

Great first look review RedZep! I was planning on preordering regardless because of how impressed I've been with the Revolve G2 and Reload G2 (so much so I bought a second of each and plan to get more Reloads!). Mad Heaters really delivered with those products and has made me quite a fan! Now it's only a matter of figuring out which color combo to preorder when they go live! This feels like an endgame manual vape....

@RedZep do you have any issues or gripes, minor or otherwise, that you have at this point? It is the honeymoon period so I imagine there's a lot of focus on the good, but I really would love to be aware of any potential things ahead of receiving one.

@Brenyo are there any plans to make a larger bowl available like Zep mentioned he hoped for in his review?

mcscruffy,

RedZep

Great first look review RedZep! I was planning on preordering regardless because of how impressed I've been with the Revolve G2 and Reload G2 (so much so I bought a second of each and plan to get more Reloads!). Mad Heaters really delivered with those products and has made me quite a fan! Now it's only a matter of figuring out which color combo to preorder when they go live! This feels like an endgame manual vape....

@RedZep do you have any issues or gripes, minor or otherwise, that you have at this point? It is the honeymoon period so I imagine there's a lot of focus on the good, but I really would love to be aware of any potential things ahead of receiving one.

@Brenyo are there any plans to make a larger bowl available like Zep mentioned he hoped for in his review?
No gripes. If I try to think of negatives I have to strain. If you want to torch heat from cold start you need a mid sized torch or triple flame. This is just physics though, of having large heat capacity in the balls.

Not a gripe but the experience will get even better with a well designed portable IH. The wand is a bit Chunky. It's something I would take camping, or on a hike. But I wouldn't have it in my pocket. It's performance indoors has been great though. Batteries last ages. I was using it constantly for two days before I had to charge it.

If you tighten the bowl too much, it's not easy to unscrew with just a magnet.

Changing flow tubes is annoying enough to where you would not like to do it constantly. If you liked going back and forth between glass and native, it could be a pain swapping them a lot. Hard to gripe about that though because it's clearly designed for native use. The other tube is just a bonus.

mcscruffy

That's the exact type of stuff that won't deter me but is good to have an expectation on, thank you!

mcscruffy,

RedZep

That's the exact type of stuff that won't deter me but is good to have an expectation on, thank you!
Yeah very minor things. Two of them are just facts of physics. And one is actually criticism of an induction heater, not the vape itself. The tube thing is minor as well. I can't think of any other way to have done it better, and as I said it's just a bonus tube with other options.

I'll be keeping my eye out for a future MadHeaters IH though. It would elevate the experience even more I think.

Top Bottom