The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

mcscruffy

My experience is that the tempest tastes so good, I now chase flavours! I was not always like that :p
I echo this! I don't have a huge inventory of equipment these days but the flavor off a clean Tempest at my Wand's dialed in sweet spot is probably the purest I've enjoyed to date and a clear step above anything else I've tried in a similar form factor.

RedZep

I remember flavour was one of the biggest surprises for me. I had only tried Dynavaps and the Anvil in this form factor. I assumed flavour would be similar to those. My first hit tasted amazing. Future Tempest owners who have only tried Dynas are in for a nice surprise.

I keep a small rotation of vapes, by selling those im not sure on. I just noticed the small handful I have now, happen to be the tastiest vapes I've tried. Interesting.

GnarlyVandal

I'd say it's possible, but I find it easiest to achieve through an additional heating cycle (or two; YMMV). I'm using the Forge on Cascade mode and find that the initial cycle has tons of flavor and gets the material to a golden brown color, while the second cycle will have more of a roasty flavor and get the AVB to more of a coffee brown.

Thanks for confirming it’s possible, if only with an extra heat cycle.

I’m probably just expecting something slightly different because of my dyna, thinking I can do one heat cycle and just puff away with the tempest until it’s dark roasted, rather than the quick back to back hits I have to do with the vong. I can never get my terpcicle avb quite as dark all the way through and I guess that’s down to the conduction/convection heating differences, but I also kind of thought it was because the bowl was so large.

With the .15g bowl of the tempest, I suspected I should be able to get even dark roast all the way through. Although if it slaps, it slaps. And with the reload I guess I’ll actually start saving some avb, so could get some edibles going.

Either way, very excited for release! My only reeeal dilemma is which colours to choose

GnarlyVandal,
Reactions: HaggisHunter

RedZep

Thanks for confirming it’s possible, if only with an extra heat cycle.

I’m probably just expecting something slightly different because of my dyna, thinking I can do one heat cycle and just puff away with the tempest until it’s dark roasted, rather than the quick back to back hits I have to do with the vong. I can never get my terpcicle avb quite as dark all the way through and I guess that’s down to the conduction/convection heating differences, but I also kind of thought it was because the bowl was so large.

With the .15g bowl of the tempest, I suspected I should be able to get even dark roast all the way through. Although if it slaps, it slaps. And with the reload I guess I’ll actually start saving some avb, so could get some edibles going.

Either way, very excited for release! My only reeeal dilemma is which colours to choose
I never do re-heats, even on full bowl, unless I purposely went for a very low temp flavour hit first.

I'll post a video later showing the single hit extraction, full bowl. 99% of my Tempest bowls are one and done.

This pic is from my first weekend with the Tempest. Full bowl, wand.

Last edited:

GnarlyVandal

I never do re-heats, even on full bowl, unless I purposely went for a very low temp flavour hit first.

I'll post a video later showing the single hit extraction, full bowl. 99% of my Tempest bowls are one and done.

This pic is from my first weekend with the Tempest. Full bowl, wand.

This is exactly what I’m looking for 🫡 thank you.

kegstandman420

This was a 1 he with 3mm boro at full bowl with the wand set at 510f. I was having issues with my wand squeaking and I reached out to dynavap because it's still within the 1 year warranty. I sent them the video of it squeaking and within the same day they issued me a replacement wand. Figured ill use old squeaky until she dies. Dynavaps customer service is top notch. The wand is essential I feel for the tempest. The torch is fun but it definitely feels 2nd to the wand imo.

Singularity Walker

I have a strange problem, it seems I've rust on my old Revolve 2 stem. Is there a way to clean it?

The color difference on the inside of the spiral like that it is more likely just a difference in the level of the coating. Both of my blue Revolve cooling spirals look like that with that coloring toward the inner center.

Last edited:
Singularity Walker,
Reactions: Vapoz

TankeyPankey

Since the tempest is mostly convection, does anyone notice a difference in effects vs conduction? Maybe there's another thread for this (and I'm not asking for a comparison to a specific conduction device). I'm just curious if anyone's been able to get more of a conduction or hybrid effect from this (or if you think that's all bogus lol).

TankeyPankey,
Reactions: dudeguy

DaBouse

How does everyone here heat their tempest or plan on heating upon arrival? The wand seems like the easiest, but I’ve heard a couple complaints that the heating cycle is just a timed cycle that doesn’t necessarily line up with the temperature if you’re reheating. Maybe that will matter less when the click discs are doing what they intended.

It’s probably more convenient than a torch, the forge is overkill to me, and the flare doesn’t seem to have any updates on if or when it hits the market.

DaBouse,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have a couple earlier IHs from Pipes that I happily use with Vapcaps, but the receiver is not large enough for the Tempest. I picked up a Wand when I was waiting for the Tempest, and with an adapter, it also worked well with the Vapcaps. Since getting the Tempest, I would. say 80% of my Tempest use is with the Wand. It does the job pretty well and can be had for under $100. The Forge seemed too expensive to me for now. I will watch with interest as the Flare comes out and consider adding that to my stable of IHs but if it is not dramatically better, I think I might save my money. As I mentioned earlier in this thread IHAS looms before me and I would just as soon not step in it...

DaBouse

I have a couple earlier IHs from Pipes that I happily use with Vapcaps, but the receiver is not large enough for the Tempest. I picked up a Wand when I was waiting for the Tempest, and with an adapter, it also worked well with the Vapcaps. Since getting the Tempest, I would. say 80% of my Tempest use is with the Wand. It does the job pretty well and can be had for under $100. The Forge seemed too expensive to me for now. I will watch with interest as the Flare comes out and consider adding that to my stable of IHs but if it is not dramatically better, I think I might save my money. As I mentioned earlier in this thread IHAS looms before me and I would just as soon not step in it...
If IH is 80% use does that imply that your 20% torch? If so how do you compare the experiences. I like the idea of the ritual of roasting, but that does leave more room for burns, noise, and possibly just less convenience in general.

DaBouse,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm gonna change that to 90% IH. The only time I really use the torch is out of the house and if I don't have the wand with me (or I let the batteries go flat). I haven't gotten really good with the torch on the Tempest, and I need to spend more time working on it. I usually end up heating the stem too much. I find I have a lot more control with the wand. Given how long I've used Vapcaps, I should be better with the torch than I am.

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
I'm just curious if anyone's been able to get more of a conduction or hybrid effect from this (or if you think that's all bogus lol).
I'd say it depends how you heat it. A combination of time, heat/flame strength, type of torch (single or triple flame, etc) or type of IH, and position of Tempest when heating (vertically with head up or down or horizontally). In a sense how much heat reaches bowl when heating...can vary quite a lot imo, as well with effects.
A little trickier with torch and easily with proper IH, but definitely doable.

Then again, herb should also play a role, like for dank indicas I'd apply more conduction, and with fluffy sativas more convection...

My eyes are on Forge for now, with 15sec heat up and all the possible settings I find it hard to resist...even if it's too big, I'd ask Duba (Labetkomp) to make a nice backpack for it, which would come handy anyway.
Hoping Flare will do the trick as it's smaller and fits in fanny bag lol...

RedZep

How does everyone here heat their tempest or plan on heating upon arrival? The wand seems like the easiest, but I’ve heard a couple complaints that the heating cycle is just a timed cycle that doesn’t necessarily line up with the temperature if you’re reheating. Maybe that will matter less when the click discs are doing what they intended.

It’s probably more convenient than a torch, the forge is overkill to me, and the flare doesn’t seem to have any updates on if or when it hits the market.
I've used it with the wand for 7ish months. I never bothered with timed cycles. I manually time it with my wrist watch. It allows me to vary it by a few seconds depending on the roast level I want, or if the strain requires a bit more heating etc.

This is not for everyone, but it avoids the pitfalls you mentioned. When I have updated VI and click disk I will just use those instead.

RedZep,
Reactions: Galisayo

DaBouse

There were preorders for the flare earlier this month at Wesley Pipes. Ordered 6/18 with an estimate ship out date of 2 weeks.

https://wesleypipesandmore.com/product/the-flare/

I did see that, but the actual launch website has had no updates to it. Still “estimating launch for June” on June 28th. That doesn’t bode well for a product that’s suppose to ship soon.

I've used it with the wand for 7ish months. I never bothered with timed cycles. I manually time it with my wrist watch. It allows me to vary it by a few seconds depending on the roast level I want, or if the strain requires a bit more heating etc.

This is not for everyone, but it avoids the pitfalls you mentioned. When I have updated VI and click disk I will just use those instead.

How is that 7 months treating you as far as the reach test on your tempest?

RedZep

How is that 7 months treating you as far as the reach test on your tempest?
Use it all day long, every single day. Only times I stopped was when I was travelling for a few weeks, or I had covid. The portability of thr Tempest, Reload, wand combo means I use it around the house. It's at my work desk during the day, and in my living room on an evening. In my garden on hot evenings.

I use brick vapes now and again, just to supplement with something different. I have a ZX as a plug in desk top, that I intend to use when I have company. I use the ZX on weekends when I know I'm in all evening and staying up late. Tempest wins reach test constantly because it has ball vape power, but has no warm up. Whenever I want a bowl I can have it.

It's my hiking vape also. I think the main reasons it wins reach tests is how easy it is to load/reload, how fast it is, and how satisfying the hit is. I took it for a hike last Sunday. I had two full bowls back to back. Whole process including filling took about 2 minutes. 2 mins to fully extract 0.3g is incredible for a portable vape.

All things considered its my favourite vape of all time because of its ease of use and it's versatility. It has a massive range of usage cases for me, where as my other favourite vapes have a smaller range. I love my ZX but it will never follow me up a mountain, or to my garden. I've never had a portable that satisfied me previously, unless you count brick vapes which I don't. So Tempest has a special place in my heart for that reason.

EDIT- All my opinions about ease of use etc are centered around Tempest and Reload combo. I had the Reload since day one of my Tempest use. I have no idea what it's like using without. I honestly see them as a package system at this point.

Last edited:

TankeyPankey

Oh shit, the website now says release in July instead of soon. I've also noticed it says preorder only, free wand adapter, stand, and extra zirc or boro balls.

What's the quick rundown on the ball differences again?

Edit: Nevermind the website answers the question for me.

TankeyPankey,
Reactions: Octavia

DaBouse

Use it all day long, every single day. Only times I stopped was when I was travelling for a few weeks, or I had covid. The portability of thr Tempest, Reload, wand combo means I use it around the house. It's at my work desk during the day, and in my living room on an evening. In my garden on hot evenings.

I use brick vapes now and again, just to supplement with something different. I have a ZX as a plug in desk top, that I intend to use when I have company. I use the ZX on weekends when I know I'm in all evening and staying up late. Tempest wins reach test constantly because it has ball vape power, but has no warm up. Whenever I want a bowl I can have it.

It's my hiking vape also. I think the main reasons it wins reach tests is how easy it is to load/reload, how fast it is, and how satisfying the hit is. I took it for a hike last Sunday. I had two full bowls back to back. Whole process including filling took about 2 minutes. 2 mins to fully extract 0.3g is incredible for a portable vape.

All things considered its my favourite vape of all time because of its ease of use and it's versatility. It has a massive range of usage cases for me, where as my other favourite vapes have a smaller range. I love my ZX but it will never follow me up a mountain, or to my garden. I've never had a portable that satisfied me previously, unless you count brick vapes which I don't. So Tempest has a special place in my heart for that reason.

EDIT- All my opinions about ease of use etc are centered around Tempest and Reload combo. I had the Reload since day one of my Tempest use. I have no idea what it's like using without. I honestly see them as a package system at this point.

I would agree. Although the price of the reload system feels a little bit premium, I feel that its design and function does warrant it. I do think it would be cool to see a slightly more affordable version. Maybe a 2 chamber instead of a 3. But that’s all small potatoes. The function on this accessory seems stellar.

Would you recommend picking up the wand from DynaVap at $89 on the sale that they have? Or am I better off waiting to see if we get something lower for 7/10?

Not sure what price point this thing usually dips to.

DaBouse,
Reactions: Wozz

RedZep

I would agree. Although the price of the reload system feels a little bit premium, I feel that its design and function does warrant it. I do think it would be cool to see a slightly more affordable version. Maybe a 2 chamber instead of a 3. But that’s all small potatoes. The function on this accessory seems stellar.

Would you recommend picking up the wand from DynaVap at $89 on the sale that they have? Or am I better off waiting to see if we get something lower for 7/10?

Not sure what price point this thing usually dips to.
Wand is a bargain at that price. I got mine for £100 and it's been worth every penny.

I guess the question for future new Tempest owners is buy a wand day one? or a month later to spread costs? Tempest is awesome with a torch. I just prefer the wand. That might even change once I have updated VI and audible clicker.

RedZep,
Reactions: Wozz

Peacefrog78

I got my tempest with reload in Dec and i use it with the wand regularly. I let it run a full cycle and get full extract. Im a little less confident on back to back bowls, but i made a heatsink and it cools very fast. Im waiting for the release so i can get a second head. I think im just as pleased with a dimpled glass tube as i am the full titanium stem performance wise.

Top Bottom