The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

GnarlyVandal

Hey people! Anyone know if the UFO induction heater works with the tempest? Would probably need like 3-5 cycles or something if so?

Also, for back to back hits, how hot does the metal stem get? Is it still holdable after say the third bowl? I’m aiming to get an all purple tempest but not really sure I like how it looks with the wood stems, so if I’m gonna need a wood stem I’ll likely go with the plain titanium or black

Last edited:
GnarlyVandal,
Reactions: sedentree

Wozz

Hey people! Anyone know if the UFO induction heater works with the tempest? Would probably need like 3-5 cycles or something if so?

Also, for back to back hits, how hot does the metal stem get? Is it still holdable after say the third bowl? I’m aiming to get an all purple tempest but not really sure I like how it looks with the wood stems, so if I’m gonna need a wood stem I’ll likely go with the plain titanium or black
I think that you will get answers both saying hot and fine on this one.

I honestly find my Tempest totally holdable after multiple hits. The stem does get get warm, maybe even hot, but I've not ever burned myself 🤷‍♂️

My hands are fairly weathered 😁

Think it's an individual thing, but even those that feel that the stem is too warm after multiple hits don't say they received any burns, or dropped it due to heat... It ain't that hot 😁

Some folk hold a hot cup of tea, others need it to be nearly cold 😁

I think the titanium sleeve works perfectly. I also have a wooden sleeve.
I swap them around more for aesthetics tbh.

GnarlyVandal

I think that you will get answers both saying hot and fine on this one.

I honestly find my Tempest totally holdable after multiple hits. The stem does get get warm, maybe even hot, but I've not ever burned myself 🤷‍♂️

My hands are fairly weathered 😁

Think it's an individual thing, but even those that feel that the stem is too warm after multiple hits don't say they received any burns, or dropped it due to heat... It ain't that hot 😁

Some folk hold a hot cup of tea, others need it to be nearly cold 😁

I think the titanium sleeve works perfectly. I also have a wooden sleeve.
I swap them around more for aesthetics tbh.
That sounds perfectly fine. Like a good handwarmer! All purple it is.
Kinda wish that dark purple in the first test versions was going to be on sale, looked amazing 🔥
Thanks for the explanation

Singularity Walker

No and yes it will fit. Unfortunately the tooling cost is extremely high for this unusual size glass tube. We tried to make it in a different way but it wasn't nearly as precise so it was not worth making at this point. If the Tempest will become popular enough then there might be a new glass for it.
Does that mean when the Revolve glass pieces run out there will be no more? I want to grab a few more pieces of glass and was hoping to wait till Tempest hit.

Singularity Walker,

rebelFarmer

I do back to back every evening, It gets warm but not enough to be a concern for me at all. I am using the direct tube with spiral which should be kind of the hotter option I think. For me, even after 4 bowls it is still more than holdable. I put it on the reload between hits to reload and whatever. I think it is not such a big issue.

I do back to back every evening, It gets warm but not enough to be a concern for me at all. I am using the direct tube with spiral which should be kind of the hotter option I think. For me, even after 4 bowls it is still more than holdable. I put it on the reload between hits to reload and whatever. I think it is not such a big issue.
Yeah back to back for me, after the 3rd time, gets sizzling hot (burn off your fingerprints hot) - my own choise ofc to use it like that. But that's why I really really need glass/wood sleeve.

@Corvoed here the post above me - and how long do you want to hold your breath for it :p ?

_Eladamri_,

rebelFarmer

Yeah back to back for me, after the 3rd time, gets sizzling hot (burn off your fingerprints hot) - my own choise ofc to use it like that. But that's why I really really need glass/wood sleeve.

@Corvoed here the post above me - and how long do you want to hold your breath for it :p ?
Interesting, do you use the wand? I nearly always use the wand and am wondering if that could be part of the difference?

Also, by back to back; I wonder what we all mean and if how we are using it has an effect?

Example:
I use a wand set at 550 til timeout, Puff away like a joint until it gets cough (usually I cough) abv is light brown, flavour chasing over here :p
I put it on the reload, reload it and may go immediatly to it, or if I am looking at something interesting could wait a few and repeat.
Sometimes, I do the same but wand is maxed out for hash.

PeePhlegm

Just swapped out the 2.5mm zirc with 2.35mm SiC. Have been using 320c till timeout, any recommendations for the wand settings now after the change out? (Full bowl)

PeePhlegm,

AndyO

No and yes it will fit. Unfortunately the tooling cost is extremely high for this unusual size glass tube. We tried to make it in a different way but it wasn't nearly as precise so it was not worth making at this point. If the Tempest will become popular enough then there might be a new glass for it.

Thanks heaps for that mate.

So if the Revolve 2 glass sleeve will fit the Tempest, it stands to reason that the wooden sleeve will also fit, right? Are there any changes/improvements to the wood sleeve being sold "stock" with the Tempest? (I'm obviously trying to decide between Tt and wood.)

Jojofernz

Thanks heaps for that mate.

So if the Revolve 2 glass sleeve will fit the Tempest, it stands to reason that the wooden sleeve will also fit, right? Are there any changes/improvements to the wood sleeve being sold "stock" with the Tempest? (I'm obviously trying to decide between Tt and wood.)
Yes I’m pretty sure a few members here have posted with the revolve v2 wood as a tempest sleeve.

Recently got a r2 glass stem and I am loving it. Not as good as keeping the heat away as the wood stems do but not like the titanium(especially now as it is getting hot, can’t even leave my Ti stem laying around in the garage or it’s already hot to the touch)

And there is something cool about seeing all the reclaim build up in a spiral around the helix

RedZep

Glass gets hot too. Sounds like you should get the wood one.

I wonder why some of us have a different experience with how hot the stem gets. I imagine it's heating technique, and maybe where we each hold the stem.

PeePhlegm

I wonder why some of us have a different experience with how hot the stem gets. I imagine it's heating technique, and maybe where we each hold the stem.
Could definitely be the individuals perception. I have to get my wife to test our kids bath water temperature because she's more sensitive to it. Sometimes I think it's cool enough and she comes in and informs me it would boil them alive if I put them in lol.

Apologies for double post but I can't get an additional quote in with the edit option for some reason.

I do 300c/575f with SiC until timeout.
Tried this last night, worked great thank you.

Definitely got vapour quicker and got denser clouds with less "pulling" effort than zirc.
I did feel like it stopped producing vapour faster however. And the slow build with zirc definitely produces tastier vapour.
Both great options, I'll continue to mess around with SiC for a few weeks or until the next clean.

I normally reheat twice with zirc to extend the session but I only did once with SiC because the herb was as dark as it is after 2 reheats with zirc after just 1 reheat with SiC. The reheats are never really necessary but I like puffing away even if it doesn't taste great. Love sitting back and putting the feet up with the tempest.

Pulling technique really matters though imo. I will keep messing around.

Edit: what kind of changes to the head airflow and dial settings are people using when they switch out the balls?

rebelFarmer

Could definitely be the individuals perception. I have to get my wife to test our kids bath water temperature because she's more sensitive to it. Sometimes I think it's cool enough and she comes in and informs me it would boil them alive if I put them in lol.
Actually mentioned this to my partner who mentioned that my hands are a bit grizzled and I often work with/around fire etc! So yeah, 100% could also be a perception thing!

Pillaryclinton

To people who own the tempest what parts/accessories would you recommend to get as they’re more fragile or you’ve had to replace yourself?

Pillaryclinton,

ezpz

To people who own the tempest what parts/accessories would you recommend to get as they’re more fragile or you’ve had to replace yourself?
O-rings and ball retaining screens. I haven’t messed with my ball retaining screen, and it still works great after 6 months, but if you plan on changing balls or dumping them out to clean, then good to have a spare. O-rings are essential since you might break a few trying to fit the Tempest head to various wpas. Other than that, I think the Tempest is pretty indestructible as is.

rebelFarmer

Screens (have not tried the new ones though, but have worn a few out), o rings.

Reload, is essential to me, I love it and want another for just hash and cotton.
Reload filler funnel (cos I suck and make a mess).

AndyO

I'm just looking at what's been listed on the MH website - can anyone who already has the Tempest suggest a shopping list for someone on the other side of the world who needs to get everything in 1 order? (I don't need induction heater attachments.)

I'm thinking
Tempest with tt sleeve (I already have a Revolve 2 wood sleeve)
A spare bowl screen?
A spare retaining screen?
I'll probably get the boro and SiC balls. Maybe even stainless as well.
Spare O-rings
Ceramic tweezers? (Do you need these?)

Everything else looks like heater attachments or random parts of the oven/indicater - am I missing anything that I'd need?

AndyO,
Top Bottom