Gear The Source by Extract Craft - a closed loop system for alcohol extractions

Krazy

Back in the day my imaginary evil twin sister had a basement lab with a vacuum still; condenser coils, recycler, etc. That is probably not happening now, lol.

I'm liking the looks of this thing but can't quite justify the cost and having ANOTHER appliance that I only use occasionally. I just cooked 1/4lbs of close trim sugar leaf down into 1.5 cups of greenish black alcohol goodness using my MB machine. Second rinse with glycerine. This was done for fun more than anything else.

But I really am tempted...

Krazy,

witka

is the source extractor worth the $$
I'm trying to find the most practical, space saving,least smelly extraction process
i don't want a bunch of contraptions or DIY stuff all over my house

i'm a very low key person so i don't want my house lookng like a lab :p

Last edited:
witka,
is the source extractor worth the $$
I'm trying to find the most practical, space saving,least smelly extraction process
i don't want a bunch of contraptions or DIY stuff all over my house

i'm a very low key person so i don't want my house lookng like a lab :p
You can join "the Source by extractcraft user group" on FB and ask users what they think?

IchiBanCrafter,

PoopMachine

For 20% off, I might get one if the code is still good around Jan 1. Id really like to have one of these, just not at the price they are at now.

PoopMachine,

witka

Wow I got called a troll by a 'Extractcraft' employee on facebook, because I asked if he had lab work to prove how much alcohol is left concentrates

witka,
Why is there no answer?? Make some concentrate, have it analyzed. Might not be the answer for everyone but it's better than nothing.
There is no answer because they can test in infinite number of data-sets between tincture to completely baked resin. What they sell is an appliance. What is done with it is not in their control and there is no way to tell how they will finish every batch. The scale is this, machine makes an 'absolute' oil, and an absolute is usually 3%-5% alcohol, right? So when it starts in the cup its 99.95% alcohol, half way through it will still be 99% alcohol, then on and on, until you get to an absolute and you know you are 3-5% alcohol. Then what you do with that oil at 3%-5% oil has tons of ways to post process. The post process product that is going to end with the least amount of alcohol is the product with the best purge which would be a dialed in vac oven. That result would mostly be attributed the performance of the vac oven. So what point between all of those possibilities would you measure and be able to post as a business? Lastly, its not a cannabis product, its an essential oil extractor that just happens to work well with cannabis.

Last edited:

cherryTom

I received my "Source" Christmas Eve and have been experimenting ever since - with 4 seperate batches - using varying starting amounts, wash times and filtering.

a summary of my process so far...

- 99% organic Alcohol and not the best trim (1-2 oz) in a small esky with dry ice for an hour or so
- soaking anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour - in esky (i haven't monitored temperatures yet)
- even after an hour the color is gold. no green tinge.
- dump all material into large Buchner funnel using the "Source" for the vacuum - i need better filter paper!
- transfer into beaker and place in esky for an hour (wonder what the ideal temperature would be)
- filter again using a smaller Buchner funnel again using the "Sources" vacuum with stacked filters
- into the Source on Turbo. i'll stop the unit at 1/4 empty to reclaim alcohol and top-up to 3/4 full again
- I use wet folded frozen tea towels wrapped around the source with a rubber band and ice trays on top
---- a couple of ice packs sewn into a globe cosy - as above - with velco should work well.
- When it's reduced to where i want it, i pipette or syringe out or purge further (in the Source for now)
- if purging further i spead the syrup over a small slick pad and rest in on the cup in the source
- When it gets to vacuum i wait 5 minutes turn it off for an hour (keeping vacuum), then repeat
- folds/flips easily - repeat etc. this produces a suprising clean burning, flavoursome product.

Very happy with the results. Over the moon. the alcohol reclaim must be very high > 95%
If all the glass is kept cool, the pump hardly goes on at all.

I have a ton of Questions, ideas, theory etc. cant wait for whats coming!
Any tips and tricks, advice recipes etc. I'm all ears!

I received my "Source" Christmas Eve and have been experimenting ever since - with 4 seperate batches - using varying starting amounts, wash times and filtering.

a summary of my process so far...

- 99% organic Alcohol and not the best trim (1-2 oz) in a small esky with dry ice for an hour or so
- soaking anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour - in esky (i haven't monitored temperatures yet)
- even after an hour the color is gold. no green tinge.
- dump all material into large Buchner funnel using the "Source" for the vacuum - i need better filter paper!
- transfer into beaker and place in esky for an hour (wonder what the ideal temperature would be)
- filter again using a smaller Buchner funnel again using the "Sources" vacuum with stacked filters
- into the Source on Turbo. i'll stop the unit at 1/4 empty to reclaim alcohol and top-up to 3/4 full again
- I use wet folded frozen tea towels wrapped around the source with a rubber band and ice trays on top
---- a couple of ice packs sewn into a globe cosy - as above - with velco should work well.
- When it's reduced to where i want it, i pipette or syringe out or purge further (in the Source for now)
- if purging further i spead the syrup over a small slick pad and rest in on the cup in the source
- When it gets to vacuum i wait 5 minutes turn it off for an hour (keeping vacuum), then repeat
- folds/flips easily - repeat etc. this produces a suprising clean burning, flavoursome product.

Very happy with the results. Over the moon. the alcohol reclaim must be very high > 95%
If all the glass is kept cool, the pump hardly goes on at all.

I have a ton of Questions, ideas, theory etc. cant wait for whats coming!
Any tips and tricks, advice recipes etc. I'm all ears!
Sounds like you are off to the races! They have a facebook user group that has been getting increased traffic, that might be a good place to check out.

IchiBanCrafter,
This sounds great But this https://www.nutriteam.com/water-dis...ol-essential-oil-making-glass-collection.html seems like a better deal for the money.

Also this article:
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/alcohol-reclaim-still/comment-page-1/#comment-113201
goes into a lot more detail.

This is a post that reads as follows:
I have been using a glass distillation apparatus off ebay for a couple of years now. It was something around $65 for a vacuum version, you can use it either way. One use for it is when you clean your oil rigs you can reuse the alcohol many times, usually losing about 20 ml per 500ml distillation. Then you can reuse the resulting oil for lotions, or I guess you could eat it, or well if you were desperate smoke it.

I would love to get more details on that. I did reply to his post btw

Also tried to contact GOM there mailbox was full. Will try again later.
BTW, look what I found on Amazon for $50 https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Portable-Home-Use-Electric-Water-Distiller_60471883011.html Its the GOM before they put the sticker on it.....

IchiBanCrafter,
Reactions: djelibebbi

djelibebbi

AKA djelimon, but lost the email
So far so good. IchiBanCrafter I heard of a video in which the source is hooked up to a buchner funnel. Have you heard of this? Purging well.

djelibebbi,
Top Bottom