Discontinued The RBT Milaana (unregulated single 18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS

Calm Consistency
@AJS Single fresh battery? Number of "hits" per battery?

Just for you ...
First bowl, 14mm, 5 hits
Second bowl, 14mm, 5 hits
*battery now at 4.10*
3rd bowl Bubbler bowl 18mm, 3 hits
*battery now at 4.0
4th bowl Bubbler bowl 18mm (lightly packed though), 2 hits
*battery now at 3.96

15 hits 3.96, but realize my bubbler bowls were bigger bowls, killed in fewer hits ... So that already affects the outcome. You can see the pattern tho. With the 14mm bowls I was on track for quite a few hits from a battery but the bubbler bowl starting from cold (the 3 hitter) dropped it quite a bit.
3.96 isn't a dead battery btw, not even close ... That's just all I could tolerate for the day.

Asternlemming

My Milaana arrived this afternoon and as luck would have it my PVFS stems and M2M arrived at the same exact time. I'm excited to start experimenting. I'm good to go with the PV stems and smaller basket screen set up, the short RBT stem with preinstalled screen, but having a hell of time getting the provided screens into the long stem. Any pointers? I actually cracked one of my UD dowels trying get the damn thing in...never struggled with a screen before so I must be missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TheRobbo

My Milaana arrived this afternoon and as luck would have it my PVFS stems and M2M arrived at the same exact time. I'm excited to start experimenting. I'm good to go with the PV stems and smaller basket screen set up, the short RBT stem with preinstalled screen, but having a hell of time getting the provided screens into the long stem. Any pointers? I actually cracked one of my UD dowels trying get the damn thing in...never struggled with a screen before so I must be missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What I did was place the screen open end down on my work bench and pushed the stem down over it... obviously only good if you want basket style (which I run with the rim of the basket about 2mm from the end of the GonG and find perfect) but it should squash down a bit and make it easier to manoeuvre once it goes in.
I did have to push down quite hard so was wearing leather riggers gloves to be safe you might want to wrap with a tea towel if you dont have gloves... Its unlikely to break but better be safe than sorry!

Asternlemming

Thanks for the advice @TheRobbo. I actually had gloves out and was about to take a more aggressive approach before I thought it was probably better to ask first. I will try tomorrow because I've been experimenting too much with the other stems to undertake anything risky at this point. I'm very impressed. Couldn't be easier...press the button and wait a few seconds and I'm greeted with an impressive lungful of flavorful vapor. Excellent extraction. This is going to be fun.

sickmanfraud

Could you please take a picture of the PVFS and explain its differences from a stock stem.

TIA

Asternlemming

Could you please take a picture of the PVFS and explain its differences from a stock stem.

TIA

I will add a photo tonight for you. That will be my first time, so I get to learn a new skill!

As for the explanation. They have an 18mm joint but the ground glass tapered portion is about half the length of the ground glass length of the stock RBT stems. The screens are smaller basket screens with a lip (similar to the top basket on a EVO ELB if you're familiar). So all in all it creates a smaller load, slightly farther away from the heater than stock. I would expect some performance differences compared to stock set up but need to confirm with more experimenting.

jazzyvapeman

I will add a photo tonight for you. That will be my first time, so I get to learn a new skill!

As for the explanation. They have an 18mm joint but the ground glass tapered portion is about half the length of the ground glass length of the stock RBT stems. The screens are smaller basket screens with a lip (similar to the top basket on a EVO ELB if you're familiar). So all in all it creates a smaller load, slightly farther away from the heater than stock. I would expect some performance differences compared to stock set up but need to confirm with more experimenting.

Thanks for your insight, would be great to hear about the performance differences...I'm finding with the stock stems the material around the edge of the screen stays green, requiring some stirring, and would like to see if PVFS reduces the need to stir at all.

Got my @DDave mod yesterday...really loving it. Nice evenly brown ABV with the 14mm stem, and the cooling unit makes it so smooth. Definitely will be my goto at home. Has anyone with the mod had more success with installing your own cut screens versus using the basket screens? I'm thinking an installed screen would be better overall, but will take some patience to get it installed right.

For on the go I still anticipate using the stock stems for now as the 14mm basket screens on the DDave mod are more difficult to clear out.

Are there any technique modifications I can make to get more even ABV from the stock stems?

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Got my @DDave mod yesterday...really loving it. Nice evenly brown ABV with the 14mm stem, and the cooling unit makes it so smooth. Definitely will be my goto at home. Has anyone with the mod had more success with installing your own cut screens versus using the basket screens? I'm thinking an installed screen would be better overall, but will take some patience to get it installed right.
:rockon:

It absolutely takes patience to install the internal screen! I am working on a solution to this at present, which will be very easy to use... No patience required. Close to completion. Stay tuned.

For on the go I still anticipate using the stock stems for now as the 14mm basket screens on the DDave mod are more difficult to clear out.

The solution mentioned above should also address this.... :tup:

Glad you're enjoying the mod!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Are there any technique modifications I can make to get more even ABV from the stock stems?

I'd suggest searching this thread, as the topic has been discussed several times now, to help you pick up other users' tips for no stir bowls since its definitely possible, but many variables

AJS

Calm Consistency
Just for you ...
First bowl, 14mm, 5 hits
Second bowl, 14mm, 5 hits
*battery now at 4.10*
3rd bowl Bubbler bowl 18mm, 3 hits
*battery now at 4.0
4th bowl Bubbler bowl 18mm (lightly packed though), 2 hits
*battery now at 3.96

15 hits 3.96, but realize my bubbler bowls were bigger bowls, killed in fewer hits ... So that already affects the outcome. You can see the pattern tho. With the 14mm bowls I was on track for quite a few hits from a battery but the bubbler bowl starting from cold (the 3 hitter) dropped it quite a bit.
3.96 isn't a dead battery btw, not even close ... That's just all I could tolerate for the day.

So the testing above was with the vtc5 battery (I think that's what it's called)
Did a similar test with the Brown battery, it's hg2 I think? And I think 3000 mah?

I did 3 14mm bowls, and I forgot what it was at exactly, but somewhere between 4.08-4.10...just a stupid amount of juice left lol.

Two more (smallish) 18mm bubbler bowls dropped it to 4.02. Absurd!! None of th bowls were back to back. All their own session from cold start.

That's 5 separate seshes for me, and battery only dropped to 4.02. That could potentially get 10 bowls by 3.80, although most likely not due to the small decrease in power as battery is depleted. Either way ... That's just insane...

More than satisfied with the brown battery after putting it off for so long, quickly slid up next to my vtc5 preference. Power isn't far behind at all to the vtc5 either. Very close

Probably in order from favorite to least favorite - vtc5 (for power), then hg2 for battery life and power, then Samsung 25r, then he4.

HG2 will probably be with me throughout the day now instead of my vtc5, which will be left at home fully charged when I get back from my day of work, to pluck off the charger and hit the bubbs with.
Samsung 25r stays in a case in my backpack fully charged for a "just in case moment" but it's never been touched for that reason yet. It was my Go-To before vtc5 and hg2.
The he4s I have will stay at storage voltage in case i ever go on a long trip and want the extra battery life .. I can just charge em up and I'll be good for a while.

Batteries!

Asternlemming

@TheRobbo, thanks again. A little force on my work bench did the trick.

@sickmanfraud as promised here the picture (Or at least my attempt to post the picture). I've captured the stock long stem and the PV M2M and direct draw. Also included both screens as well.
gE1tks4.jpg

I'm definitely going to check out the @DDave mod as well. Looks like an even smaller bowl and closer to the heat. Perfect for one hitting.

So far, I'm really enjoying this vape.

Last edited:

b0

Cloudy...
... just been hitting my mi and it dawned on me how much of a perfect vape it is...

... tbh i havnt had 'vas' since her...

I'm missing mine so much, can't wait to hear back from Ryan. Was expecting it before the end of the year but seems like it's gonna be for 2017. No problem tho, it's worth the wait knowing the beauty that I'm gonna have :)

Probably in order from favorite to least favorite - vtc5 (for power), then hg2 for battery life and power, then Samsung 25r

I tried the same 3 ones and totally agree, vtc5 are my main and hg2 for the extra juice. Lately I'm only using the 25r in my alpha centauri mod.

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

@TheRobbo, thanks again. A little force on my work bench did the trick.

@sickmanfraud as promised here the picture (Or at least my attempt to post the picture). I've captured the stock long stem and the PV M2M and direct draw. Also included both screens as well.
gE1tks4.jpg

I'm definitely going to check out the @DDave mod as well. Looks like an even smaller bowl and closer to the heat. Perfect for one hitting.

So far, I'm really enjoying this vape.

The Vortex CONG looks interesting.

I see no reason the PVFS stem has to be 3 times the price of a stock stem?

Does anyone have a good reason to get the middle stem pictured above?

Cl4ud3

The Vortex CONG looks interesting.

I see no reason the PVFS stem has to be 3 times the price of a stock stem?

Only reason would be for the ability to have the bucket basket with a rim :(

Cl4ud3,
Reactions: GetLeft

Asternlemming

Only reason would be for the ability to have the bucket basket with a rim :(
That's really it, the smaller load made possible by the rim and easier removal/cleaning etc. As far as performance goes, there not a huge difference...think this vape just crushes anything. I'll definitely use it, probably as much for the ease of maintenance as anything else but not sure it's worth the extra $$$???

The gong is phenomenal. Small load, 1-2 flavorful and LARGE hits. Again though, I can't find a set up that doesn't work great with this vape so I can't credit the gong for anything in particular.

Bottom line, this vape kicks ass and seems to handle a large variety of methods, techniques and tools extremely well. May have temporarily replaced VAS with AAS (accessory acquisition syndrome...is that a thing?).

GetLeft

I was perfectly happy with my short stock stems. Haven't yet used the longer one simply because the short ones slam it as far as flavor and punch go. However the DDave 14mm stems are my preferred stems now. I'm used to sessions of just a pinch or so of material and the 14mm allow me that conservative method while still packing as much of a punch as I can handle. The stock stems deliver superior flavor and a stronger punch but also seem to need a slightly larger load to maximize performance.

Milaana technique for me is basically paying attention to the power in the bat and counting seconds accordingly as I press the button. Part of the attractiveness of this vape is that it's a pretty much about raw direct power and not so much about finesse. Stick it in hit it and move on. But if evenly toasted fully extracted abv is the goal, just like with most vapes, a stir is the best bet.

jazzyvapeman

Milaana technique for me is basically paying attention to the power in the bat and counting seconds accordingly as I press the button. Part of the attractiveness of this vape is that it's a pretty much about raw direct power and not so much about finesse. Stick it in hit it and move on. But if evenly toasted fully extracted abv is the goal, just like with most vapes, a stir is the best bet.

I'm finding that if I tamp the load down, not super hard, but sort of medium strength, I get nice even ABV without a ton of draw resistance, slightly less brown around the edges, but when I dump the ABV out to inspect it looks evenly brown with no green whatsoever, no stirring required. Before I was getting some green bits around the edges because I was tamping with my finger and the tamp wasn't even, the middle of the load was pushed in more than the edges.

Some additional thoughts as I've had a couple weeks with her now....

I'm really liking the 'analog' nature of this vape. I'm a keyboard player and it's similar to analog synths...lots of variables but in the end if you master the technique you get the best result overall. I've been doing a 5 second preheat, inhale with the button pressed, wait 3-10 seconds until I feel a certain level of heat, lay off the button for a second or two, and feather as needed as I keep inhaling.

@DDave 14mm stems are nice for a maintenance high but if I'm vaping sober I prefer the load of the 18mm stock short stem to get me started, as I wind up packing 2 14mm stems for my initial sesh of the day.

Someone asked earlier about taking Mi skiing. I've been using her outside in negative degree weather and she works like a charm with super cool vapor.

Haven't touched my Herbie since I got Mi...

Battery life is super long.

This thing is nearly the perfect vape for me, the only downside is durability - that she probably won't survive a drop, making me extra paranoid if I'm passing her around with a group of friends.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
@DDave 14mm stems are nice for a maintenance high but if I'm vaping sober I prefer the load of the 18mm stock short stem to get me started, as I wind up packing 2 14mm stems for my initial sesh of the day.
Got something in the works for the 14mm setup. Will allow for a much more flexible load size. Micro and Medi (medium) dosers will appreciate! MegaDosing will still need to be done with the 18mm.
Stay tuned... :nod:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
My right angle stems (aka 18mm whip adapters) that @vapen00b & @KeroZen got finally arrived. Both seem to fit, but actually go in deeper than the stock stems and are totally loose unfortunately... Getting a basket screen in the wide inner diameter of the joint looks like it will be tricky as well, but I will try at some point and report back... They do seem cool but if they're this loose I don't know how useful they'll really be on the go after all

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Bottom line, this vape kicks ass and seems to handle a large variety of methods, techniques and tools extremely well. May have temporarily replaced VAS with AAS (accessory acquisition syndrome...is that a thing?).
That is, indeed, the bottom line. I have other vapes that I love and use, Lotus and VapCap's come to mind, and even Herbalaire, but the absolute power and ease of use (no torch no plug) makes Milanna or Zion what I reach for over all else. The VAS I still suffer from is no longer about finding a better vape, it is for fun and variety. There ARE no better vapes IMNSHO.
Both seem to fit, but actually go in deeper than the stock stems and are totally loose unfortunately...
If they are loose because the joint is too long that could be a problem in use... :(

I like that @DDave seems to be using the US short joint (or is cutting his joints down) as that leaves more room for rimmed screens, which I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom