The Picture Thread

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Ok this cool AF! Click the web version, set your location and have a look, zoom in click on a stellar object and up pops the stats. Holy oh mind fuck it's free.

https://stellarium.org/
Holy SHIT! Thanks for the new time-SUCK! :o :disgust: 😜

Last night's sunset:

sunset8-12.jpg
'StarsOn over MassPike'

This morning's sunrise:

sunrise8-12.jpg sunrise8-12-2.jpg sunrise8-12-3.jpg
sunrise8-12-4.jpg
'Targét Daye'

The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun (2019 Mix)
"Abbey Road presented with new mixes in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos; expanded with previously unreleased session recordings and demos."

Cultivate Joy Wherever You Go

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Ok this cool AF! Click the web version, set your location and have a look, zoom in click on a stellar object and up pops the stats. Holy oh mind fuck it's free.

https://stellarium.org/

Very nice!!

This is kinda hard to believe, but having watched Contact in the last couple of days (see today's film thread in the lounge), imagine my surprise when I went to adjust the view and accidentally clicked on... wait for it... Vega! 😂

I mean, what are the chances? Astronomical?

SafariScreenSnapz364.png

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Very nice!!

This is kinda hard to believe, but having watched Contact in the last couple of days (see today's film thread in the lounge), imagine my surprise when I went to adjust the view and accidentally clicked on... wait for it... Vega! 😂

I mean, what are the chances? Astronomical?
Dude, that was the first thing I clicked on and thought, too! Not just cuz I saw your thread recently (avoiding that rabbit-hole for now, no offense), but because I also love Contact! It may be a tad cheesy and dated (certainly now) and rife with holes and things that don't make sense, but I always try to give Sci-Fi a wide berth, you gotta... :tup:

Edit: oh yeah, almost forgot:

Last edited:

CANtalk

lamborghini-countach-lpi-800-4_100802454_h.jpg

:peace: :leaf:

Planck

believes in Dog
Holy SHIT! Thanks for the new time-SUCK! :o :disgust: 😜
:rofl: :cheers:

But it's a very good suck. :brow:

Who (in the northern hemisphere) hasn't looked at the North Star, Polaris. Next time stop for a second and realize it's 432 light years away. The light you see tonight started it's journey toward earth in 1589!

Light years, BIG numbers.
299,792,458 meters per second
1080 million km/hour
671 million mph
9,460.5 billion km per year
5,878.5 billion miles per year.

And that's not even far away in the universal scale. In all that vastness there a tiny zone of a few thousand feet and a few 10 of degrees where we can survive for a time. Probably a good idea to ass rape it repeatedly for profit.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Light years, BIG numbers.
299,792,458 meters per second
1080 million km/hour
671 million mph
9,460.5 billion km per year
5,878.5 billion miles per year.
Only to add more light year perspective :) :

The closest star to earth other than the sun is Proxima Centauri at 4.25 ly (or 40,208,000,000,000 km) away.

The Milky Way is 100,000 ly across and the next closest galaxy, Andromeda, is 2.5 million ly away....

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot the pics AGAIN, jeez, you'd think I was some sort of burned-out pothead....:smug::tup::rockon:

Today's offering for your approval:

C8218F58-45AE-4118-8778-160A96EBCCE2.png

My pics:

New Wheels!!:
F4D0C4EE-46A7-471E-8594-93323C840CCC.jpeg7AE1E0D3-A891-40EC-A489-8A469B84354F.jpeg 8FFB51A6-80FB-4339-9FFD-554446B51DF4.jpeg 27F27386-3875-439A-BC19-00C4BD603B02.jpeg
(Ha, I wish)

6FC6DDFC-A678-458E-9AD1-D0F50E1BA547.jpeg
He's not nearly as excited about this as me:
281D98F6-7D1D-42ED-80D7-9C3B842CD897.jpeg

24C8E005-03F7-473A-AFAD-BE1F36EFDD0D.jpeg 724E3BBB-D065-4EB6-8A5C-137F2500232F.jpeg A859CFB5-92CD-4277-9EC8-01FEE0E3CD16.jpeg 9217CA73-1F63-4F86-9733-5A96D485CC81.jpeg 7205F685-1479-48ED-A453-3EAC4E7AF13B.jpeg

Happy Saturday!!

Obligatory...:tup::

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
And all that is why it is hard to imagine that we have been visited, and especially if we are regularly visited, by civilizations from other planets in other solar systems. According to OUR understanding of physics it would be virtually impossible. But, in truth, compared to other civilizations we are babies, or maybe we should be compared to single celled life. Other civilizations may be millions or billions (or more) of years older than we are. What we believe to be the "laws of physics" may be baby talk to them, so who the fuck knows, really.
efs1XEb.jpg

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I saw one of these the other day from the side in this color parked in front of a Hot Dog place that often sports hot cars. Having never seen it I thought it was a new Ferrari or Lotus or other Supercar. When I walked up behind it and saw the Corvette flags I was shocked. I was NOT expecting it to be American made and it gave me a little thrill...
730824.jpg

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Yep, a measly 250 years since the first industrial revolution, computers are really new things... barely older than many of us here!

Another from Iceland. I think this is the first time we've been around to document a shield volcano. Geologists say the last eruption in this part of Iceland was 6000 years age and that it flowed lava for 200 years! Stunning images...

This is just incredible isn't it, I have been dropping in and out of following it since it began, absolutely mind bogglingly good.

(I am also kinda surprised that no one has died yet!)

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I hadn't seen this one, so thank you!!

I skipped to the bit where they are looking at the chamber, it's hard to take it all in. Imagine that full of hot boiling lava... then somehow becoming empty, then back to how it is now... what is going on down there?

This is why I was concerned people were so close in the beginning, these things have the potential to behave extremely unpredictably. I totaly get the fascination and if I am honest, if I lived there I would have probably gone too, but wow...

Still, we all got to go sometime and "blown up by a volcano" is a pretty good epitaph!

Planck

believes in Dog
The volcano is rocking again. After taking a brake a couple of days ago the eruption is the largest outflow to date. Since the beginning the largest outflows have coincided with the full moon.

A look back to 19.03.2021, the eruption begins. Lots of superb video on this channel.

Planck

believes in Dog
Drone shots of the volcano are intense and visually stunning but it's hard to keep a sense of scale. It's much bigger then it looks. This video better shows the scale of the eruption. Lava stretches kilometers from the cone in many directions reaching thicknesses of more then 100 meters. The eruption is quite active, I estimate some of the lave plumes in this video are tossed 300+ meters in the air.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Monte Antelao, Italian Alps from Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy.
VUYBRkD.jpg

Mammatus Clouds over Saskatchewan
kwvMQLY.jpg

Perseid Meteors, Jiuquan City, Gansu Province, China. Composite of many images.
9oyNYvb.jpg

Perseid Meteor, Red Sprites, and Nova RS Ophiuchus, Zacatecas, Mexico.
F7yicvH.jpg

Perseids over a three day span., Magyaregres, Hungary.
WVUgC82.jpg

Top Bottom